• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
@ Fancypiplup Fancypiplup Instead of posting twice within a few minutes, just "Edit" your potential second post into your first one.

A lot of streamers when I ask them to play Dedede they'll always land with dair instead of nair, they never land it and deem the character as terrible.

Interrobang!?

Smash Rookie
Sup y'all! Sm4sh is my first Smash game and after maining Captain Falcon for the last few months, I've accepted my destiny and focused all of my attention on my one true main, King Dedede.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Sup y'all! Sm4sh is my first Smash game and after maining Captain Falcon for the last few months, I've accepted my destiny and focused all of my attention on my one true main, King Dedede.
Wow, not too often you have people migrate from the top tiers to the SSSS-Tier slightly lower tiers... Especially for the King of Kings. That shows your devotion.

Welcome to your true home. You're one of us now. :emptysheep::emptysheep::emptysheep:

Interrobang!?

Smash Rookie
Wow, not too often you have people migrate from the top tiers to the SSSS-Tier slightly lower tiers... Especially for the King of Kings. That shows your devotion.

Welcome to your true home. You're one of us now. :emptysheep::emptysheep::emptysheep:
One of us, one of us, one of us...

There just comes a point in a man's life where he has to accept the penguin in a robe into his heart.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm new here, but I've been playing Smash since the very first game. I loved 64 and Melee, but I never got on with Brawl (I just didn't like how it played, or some of its mechanics). However, it wasn't until Smash 3DS/Wii U that I finally found a character I 100% clicked with, and found that my one true main is Dedede. This surprised me, as even though he's my favourite Nintendo character overall, my previous Smash picks had been lighter, faster characters!

My username comes from part of the name of a French book, as run through Google Translate (the result amused me, so I had to go with it). The book is "Made in OuLiPo - Le Popopo et le Dedede et La Tortilla du Ciboulot", which seems to be the origin point of the original Kirby series naming scheme (even though Popopo was ultimately changed to Kirby, it's still seemingly where we got the triple-syllable scheme that some other characters and places, including our penguin king, retained).

Anyway, yes, hello! :)

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm new here, but I've been playing Smash since the very first game. I loved 64 and Melee, but I never got on with Brawl (I just didn't like how it played, or some of its mechanics). However, it wasn't until Smash 3DS/Wii U that I finally found a character I 100% clicked with, and found that my one true main is Dedede. This surprised me, as even though he's my favourite Nintendo character overall, my previous Smash picks had been lighter, faster characters!

My username comes from part of the name of a French book, as run through Google Translate (the result amused me, so I had to go with it). The book is "Made in OuLiPo - Le Popopo et le Dedede et La Tortilla du Ciboulot", which seems to be the origin point of the original Kirby series naming scheme (even though Popopo was ultimately changed to Kirby, it's still seemingly where we got the triple-syllable scheme that some other characters and places, including our penguin king, retained).

Anyway, yes, hello! :)
Welcome to the Boards! Glad to have ya!
Hehe, we have pretty similar tastes in mains.

That was awful.
Those three words describe that entire cartoon basically lol

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Welcome to the Boards! Glad to have ya!
Hey, thanks for the welcome! :4dedede:

Hehe, we have pretty similar tastes in mains.
It would appear so!

Those three words describe that entire cartoon basically lol
Aww, don't say that. It certainly had some cringeworthy moments, but it was good for what it was at the time (and it won awards to match, not to mention was one of the earliest proving-grounds for motion capture). ;)

I won a teensy, tiny tournament with D3 today.

Smooth Criminal
Congratulations. Do tell us more, please! :D

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Pretty much had to enter to make the brackets even. There would have been a couple of unnecessary byes if my co-host and I hadn't. Bopped somebody's pocket Diddy, barely scraped by against a Falcon main (I landed a last second nair that stage spiked him 'cause he missed the tech), and then I went on to dither around in Grands until the Ness main I fought there reset the bracket against me. Then, I cranked the notch up to eleven and absolutely murdered the guy after his popoff, 3-0. He couldn't believe it, lol.

Reason why I kinda sorta goofed off up until that point was because, well, I wasn't playing in the tourney for money. We told the contestants out the gate that if my co-host and I had won it all (somehow), we would distribute the prize money from second place and onwards because it'd be grimy of us to enter our own tourney and take the money. Nah, it (eventually) became a matter of pride haha. Honestly kinda surprised at myself.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Aww, don't say that. It certainly had some cringeworthy moments, but it was good for what it was at the time (and it won awards to match, not to mention was one of the earliest proving-grounds for motion capture). ;)
You're right.
It's hard to hate K. Rool.

Sup! I'm not the newest guy anymore *dances*

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Played in a small-ish tournament yesterday, and got to play a few sets before I was eliminated. Unfortunately the only matches I used Dedede that were recorded were my warm-ups:

http://www.twitch.tv/rvaforge/v/5139311

They start at around 1:01:52 and go to 1:15:06. I actually played one more friendly match after this, but it was to get my ROB warmed up. Unfortunately I make a lot of mistakes in these matches, but I played much better off stream. I also won a pretty close money match (first to 5) against that DK player after we were both out of the tourney. :4dedede: Had a lot of fun playing with him and talking to him though. Unfortunately that first Pika player (Starlord) bumped me out of loser's using his Rosaluma. :urg:

I wish I could say I'll be going to this tournament again next week but I don't think I'll be able to. Regardless, I did win 3 sets to my 2 losses, so I'm pretty happy with my performance.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I usually main Wario, Wolf, and Ganondorf, but I've been practicing a bunch with Dedede lately, also in case you haven't heard some investigators think Dedede may be behind a monkey ninja invasion,
Robotnik:This is Robotnik here, I'm here reporting on the monkey ninja takeover of Smashboards and amiibo truck robbery, 8 suspects were spotted at the scene of the crime.

Suspect1
Suspect2

Suspect3
Suspect4

Suspect5
Suspect6

Suspect7

Suspect8

Robotnik: Breaking news, a witness has just identified suspect 8 as Bonkers
Since he is not smart enough to act on his own, and considering his origin, we believe King Dedede is behind the Monkey ninja attacks,

Suspect name: King Dedede
Intelligence: Close to zero (Stupid)
Previous crimes: Pollution, murder of talking trees, attempted murder of many, high fat robbery, animal cruelty, kidnapping, attempted break and enter, traffic violations, food poisoning, inhumane laboring, physical assault, stowawaying, ordering up monsters from NME and most importantly Tax Evasion. Though all charges were dropped except for attempted break and enter and stowawaying.

We spoke with his chief adviser Escargoon on the issue,
: This is an outrage! His majesty King Dedede isn't smart enough to pull something this complex off!
Ow,
:4dedede:: What you mean I ain't smart enough to pull this off? It was all me, I ordered up dat dere monster to clobba dat dere Kirby.
: So what your saying is you only wanted to clobber Kirby, what about all the other monkey ninjas your being accused of commanding?
:4dedede:: Uh what you mean Monkey ninja? I only clobbad dat dere Kirby?
: You don't even have a clue what we're talking about do you? See what I mean his majesty isn't behind this! If he can't even read what makes you think he can whip up this plan!?

Robotnik: Well I guess maybe he didn't do it. He's just too stupid to have done it, and now
:4dedede::

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I usually main Wario, Wolf, and Ganondorf, but I've been practicing a bunch with Dedede lately, also in case you haven't heard some investigators think Dedede may be behind a monkey ninja invasion,
Robotnik:This is Robotnik here, I'm here reporting on the monkey ninja takeover of Smashboards and amiibo truck robbery, 8 suspects were spotted at the scene of the crime.

Suspect1
Suspect2

Suspect3
Suspect4

Suspect5
Suspect6

Suspect7

Suspect8

Robotnik: Breaking news, a witness has just identified suspect 8 as Bonkers
Since he is not smart enough to act on his own, and considering his origin, we believe King Dedede is behind the Monkey ninja attacks,

Suspect name: King Dedede
Intelligence: Close to zero (Stupid)
Previous crimes: Pollution, murder of talking trees, attempted murder of many, high fat robbery, animal cruelty, kidnapping, attempted break and enter, traffic violations, food poisoning, inhumane laboring, physical assault, stowawaying, ordering up monsters from NME and most importantly Tax Evasion. Though all charges were dropped except for attempted break and enter and stowawaying.

We spoke with his chief adviser Escargoon on the issue,
: This is an outrage! His majesty King Dedede isn't smart enough to pull something this complex off!
Ow,
:4dedede:: What you mean I ain't smart enough to pull this off? It was all me, I ordered up dat dere monster to clobba dat dere Kirby.
: So what your saying is you only wanted to clobber Kirby, what about all the other monkey ninjas your being accused of commanding?
:4dedede:: Uh what you mean Monkey ninja? I only clobbad dat dere Kirby?
: You don't even have a clue what we're talking about do you? See what I mean his majesty isn't behind this! If he can't even read what makes you think he can whip up this plan!?

Robotnik: Well I guess maybe he didn't do it. He's just too stupid to have done it, and now
:4dedede::
>Dedede inhales a negative ion

You have good taste in YTP, sir.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Hi there, Dedede mains. I was just wondering what you guys thought of the :4dedede: vs. :4ness: matchup, as I played a few matches against a Dedede on For Glory as Ness and always lost. I was able to win against almost every other character he used, so I think Dedede's just a problem for me. I figured I'd ask this question in here, if that's okay.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Here's part 2 of the story,
Breaking News!
We have found the leader of the evil monkey ninjas who is responsible for all this, thanks to an eye witness,

this guy,wanted to learn the way of the Hoo Haa, so he sought out Diddy Kong,
since we didn't give him Diddy, because he would then just become Diddy Kong 2.0, he then robbed a truck full of amiibos just to prove what an *** he is, crashed Smashboards, as well as brainwash some mods, and then snacked on DK's bananas while stealing the crystal coconut, which luckily was a fake, we can thank Krool for stealing the real one earlier that night. The Landmaster failed to stop him:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
So basically the Monkey guy wants to learn hoo hah, and be the monkey king.
So now in order to stop him we must summon everyone's favorite hero, and the only person who can stop him,
:4dedede:: Your beloved ruler me! DEDEDE! Yeah I'm gonna clobba dat dere monkey, he should be runnin and hidin, but I guess he doesn't know, I'm OP!

What will happen next!?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Hi there, Dedede mains. I was just wondering what you guys thought of the :4dedede: vs. :4ness: matchup, as I played a few matches against a Dedede on For Glory as Ness and always lost. I was able to win against almost every other character he used, so I think Dedede's just a problem for me. I figured I'd ask this question in here, if that's okay.
You really just need to abuse Dedede's large size and poor mobility. He has a hard time moving in against characters in general, relying a lot on stage control and conditioning players to make mistakes he can punish. If Ness can get a grab on Dedede, we're basically guaranteed to eat several fairs in a row. Additionally, it's difficult for Dedede to avoid being juggled by PK Thunder, and even our amazing weight doesn't stop your bthrow from scoring early kills.

The main thing to be mindful in this match up is our range and gordos. If Dedede gets a character off stage, that's great for him. Our multiple jumps affords us the ability to take risks when edge-guarding, and a properly spaced Gordo will allow us to limit your options from the ledge. Additionally, if Ness hits a Gordo with PK Thunder 2, it acts the same way as hitting a character does and will cut the distance you move in half.

It's a difficult match up for the Dedede player if Ness plays well, but when we get you off stage we have the advantage, not helped by the fact that Ness's recovery is the way it is. I guess once last thing of note on the Gordo is that we don't always use it just to hit you, often times we just want you to react in a certain way, such as in the case of covering ledge options. You have enough fast, disjointed attacks that you can easily deflect them, but sometimes it might be better to just ignore them.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
You have enough fast, disjointed attacks that you can easily deflect them, but sometimes it might be better to just ignore them.
Be wary of using fAirs on Gordos though, only the last hit that does 4 damage will deflect it, the first three 1 damage hits don't do anything. NAir is probably a better option.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Also worth mentioning that fighting Dedede online is much more annoying than off.
Lag lets Dedede get away with more Gordos than he otherwise would usually.
So bad against Dedede online (sometimes) =/= bad offline.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Well, I just placed 4th with Dedede at Midwest Championships 2015.
I was really thinking about dropping Smash 4 since I wanted to focus on Melee, but a lot of people in my bracket want me to take the game seriously, so I guess I'll start by asking this:
What should I do against Sheik?

I got knocked into loser's by a very patient Ness, but I ended up losing to a very aggressive and mobile Sheik.
I wasn't able to shieldgrab, and most of my reads failed because even though I knew where she was going, she was able to either roll immediately after the initial roll or grab/attack me instead.
I was thinking about spacing with gordos more since I seemed to get some mileage out of those, but overall, it almost felt unwinnable, despite me getting her to her last stock both times.

This is actually one of the reasons I didn't want to play this game anymore, but I may as well learn what to do and try again.
The community was very supportive and actually a lot of fun to just be around, but even in talking with the Sheik player, he had no idea what I'm supposed to do in that matchup.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Unfortunately I can't really help you there, the local scene here surprisingly has very little Sheik.

I came here to mention that I took 4th at the weekly today. It was slightly smaller this time, with 25 players competing. I was one match away from taking 3rd and walking away with a bit of cash, but I made some mistakes that lost me a couple of matches. I definitely think I could've gotten 3rd, possibly 2nd. Maybe next time?

There was one match in my bracket that I got a free win for because the player didn't show up, I think he got called into work. But I'm pretty sure I would've beaten him, I played him a couple weeks ago and took the set against him and I was playing stronger this week.

Thankfully, I played 4 sets on stream I think, which means more video footage for me to review. I also used Dedede in my streamed sets this time, with ROB coming out on occasion. While I'm definitely far away from taking first any time soon, I'm really happy with my performance today and I think I'm going to continue focusing on Smash 4 as my main (and only?) Smash game for the time being.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
We're having a DDDDeath Battle over at the Smash 4 social thread, come support your King.

vs

So now we have to analize there weapons, armor, and abilities and decide who would win in a Death Battle.[/quote]

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
It seems this thread is very rarely used other than for introductions and the occasional competitive banter. I'd like to split away from that for at least a few posts and breathe some life into this baby.
So I have a bit of a discussion question for everyone!

WHAT ARE SOME MISCONCEPTIONS YOU HAD ABOUT DEDESY BEFORE OR RIGHT AFTER YOU STARTED PLAYING HIM?
I'll start.
  • I used to think :4sonic: was the easiest MU ever.
  • I used to not ever use D-smash.
  • I used to use gordos in neutral. *gasp*
Time to be shunned by all my fellow Dedesy's.

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
My worst misconception about King Dedede was that people wouldn't run into my fSmash.

Last edited:

HAMMER?

Smash Rookie
NNID
HamEatsGames
It seems this thread is very rarely used other than for introductions and the occasional competitive banter. I'd like to split away from that for at least a few posts and breathe some life into this baby.
So I have a bit of a discussion question for everyone!

WHAT ARE SOME MISCONCEPTIONS YOU HAD ABOUT DEDESY BEFORE OR RIGHT AFTER YOU STARTED PLAYING HIM?
I'll start.
  • I used to think :4sonic: was the easiest MU ever.
  • I used to not ever use D-smash.
  • I used to use gordos in neutral. *gasp*
Time to be shunned by all my fellow Dedesy's.
*sigh* here we go.
- I used to think the Gordos were terrible (Then I found out how to actually use them)
- I used his down air when coming back down onto the platform rather than his neutral or back-air
- I didn't understand why all the d3 mains crouched after every kill, then I played him:

Top Bottom