• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Played a good Falcon for the first time on the weekend. That match-up feels disgusting lol.

But on the plus side I won doubles again with said Falcon (y)

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Guys, what are your FG win rates?

I am sitting at 0.5, but 0.75 in the last 100 matches.

Most of my losses at first came from trying a variety of different characters before choosing the King, and trying to play like it was melee (I still L-cancel at every opportunity).

Now I win most of my matches. And if I find a player beating me or giving me a hard time, I will stick to that player as long as I can.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I wonder what mine would be with just dedede. over 80% for sure; mine is currently somewhere around 76% though from playing a butt ton of mewtwo and other chars.

I really want platforms but too lazy to set up matches :V

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Hey guys I just recently started to use dedede and having a great time using the lovable penguin any suggestions?

sweatyteddytaco

Smash Cadet
After plaYing offline for a while I was mailing pikachu and thought I had his play style under control. Boy was I wrong, I started playing online 1v1 matches and after 100 games I wasn't capable of beating anyone with him ( I was around 8-92, incredibley horrendous)
So then I started toying around with different characters, then I stumbled upon this penguin I've seen from the Kirby animated series and a Gameboy hame I borrowed when I was 8.

I fell in love Instantly. From his dickish down tilt, to hit great recovery, to his hammer, to the gordos. ..awwwww the gordos. I've found my man. I should've figured why use a rodent in pikachu when I could've been using royalty all this time.
Now I'm not no D3 god, I still have trouble vs certain players, but my winning % has increased drastically from about 10% to a not as bad 45-55% I'd Say.

So thank you King Dedede, you've made a weak ass peasant into a proud member of your army.

Fancypiplup

Smash Rookie
You know the song that played during dedede's final smash in brawl? (
if not heres the link) well i learned how to recreate the song with dedede (not the smash ball just the song) here are the
instructions:

make dedede do his french girl pose for a brief instant then get back up and dash real quick and then stop. If you do this in the correct pattern it will make the song that he does while he plays his final smash.

well that was my second post. if you think this is cool thing let me know! the best use i can think for it is to use it instead of taunting.

p3ngw1nKing

Smash Cadet
If anything, they'll just nerf him again. Sakurai and his team couldn't balance a game properly if they tried.
This.
I was expecting the same thing. I almost hope they make him worse and worse with each patch, to the point that he's the biggest joke. Like Pichu in Melee. It'll make winning with him all the sweeter ;)

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Well... opinions are divided over there. I do not struggle with Kirby at all.

I have lost some, but I have won much much more. Even when it seems I am losing, I get the win at the end because of Kirby's inabality to kill.

Seriously, I read someone wrote that the King's recovery is predictable and easy to gimp.

I don't really like this match, it gets very long. I do love the hammer's mexican standoff, thou.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I don't really like this match, it gets very long.
My least favorite match is against Sanic. I'd say 60 percent of those match either end with me finally killing them at 70% while I'm at 250% or with sudden death. Cut it out already: spindash upair and back throw don't kill anymore.

Kirby is annoying, but he just can't seem to finish the job. Additionally, gimping Dedede is foolishly dangerous. Predictable? Yes. Difficult to do? Yes. Dangerous? Oh Hell yeah. This one time a Kirby tried to down special me off stage. I waited for him to cancel and stage spiked that fool straight into the Shadow Realm.

Last edited:

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
I think some of you should head on over to that thread, then! Some Kirby players think this match is incredible for Kirby. I personally disagree, and while I still think it's a good match for Kirby, I'm sure we'd all love to hear some inputs from Dedede mains themselves.

With that said, Dedede is my secondary and I would love to get better with him. I might start hanging around these boards a bit to get some information!

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
After plaYing offline for a while I was mailing pikachu and thought I had his play style under control. Boy was I wrong, I started playing online 1v1 matches and after 100 games I wasn't capable of beating anyone with him ( I was around 8-92, incredibley horrendous)
So then I started toying around with different characters, then I stumbled upon this penguin I've seen from the Kirby animated series and a Gameboy hame I borrowed when I was 8.

I fell in love Instantly. From his ****ish down tilt, to hit great recovery, to his hammer, to the gordos. ..awwwww the gordos. I've found my man. I should've figured why use a rodent in pikachu when I could've been using royalty all this time.
Now I'm not no D3 god, I still have trouble vs certain players, but my winning % has increased drastically from about 10% to a not as bad 45-55% I'd Say.

So thank you King Dedede, you've made a weak *** peasant into a proud member of your army.
You know the song that played during dedede's final smash in brawl? (
if not heres the link) well i learned how to recreate the song with dedede (not the smash ball just the song) here are the
instructions:

make dedede do his french girl pose for a brief instant then get back up and dash real quick and then stop. If you do this in the correct pattern it will make the song that he does while he plays his final smash.

well that was my second post. if you think this is cool thing let me know! the best use i can think for it is to use it instead of taunting.
Just an FYI that I merged both your guys' threads to here.
In the future, try not to make threads for things that don't really leave much room for further discussion.
No harm done his time, though.
And welcome to the Boards, Fancypiplup!

My least favorite match is against Sanic. I'd say 60 percent of those match either end with me finally killing them at 70% while I'm at 250% or with sudden death. Cut it out already: spindash upair and back throw don't kill anymore.

Kirby is annoying, but he just can't seem to finish the job. Additionally, gimping Dedede is foolishly dangerous. Predictable? Yes. Difficult to do? Yes. Dangerous? Oh Hell yeah. This one time a Kirby tried to down special me off stage. I waited for him to cancel and stage spiked that fool straight into the Shadow Realm.

King_DeDeDoo

Smash Rookie
I love D3 he works so well with my play style, but every now and then I find a tough match up or a really good player. My win rate is about 54% and all I need is more practice (and a secondary) to be a better smash player with D3. Any tips?

-pollyanna

Smash Rookie
Not entirely sure what to do here, but I'm new to the forums and have mained Dedede ever since Brawl. His character is hilarious and he's got a ton of power to him!
I don't keep track of the win/loss rates on For Glory because I don't care, but I've won quite a few matches with him in both Brawl and Sm4sh!
I'd like to know how to use him better against characters like Pikachu, Sonic, and other faster characters because it can be hard to keep up when a good player is using them.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Despite maining the King of Evil, I've decided to branch out and main all the heavies, including the King of Dreamland. What are some things I should know about Dedede? What's the best guide for the smash 4 King on smashboards right now?

Thanks in advance!

what even are these custom dedede smilies

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
Despite maining the King of Evil, I've decided to branch out and main all the heavies, including the King of Dreamland. What are some things I should know about Dedede? What's the best guide for the smash 4 King on smashboards right now?

Thanks in advance!

I recommend Soul Train's video guide. Gives you alot of information on the utility of each move.
And I wish I knew how to use the dedede smilies too. You're not alone.

Happy clobberin'!

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I love D3 he works so well with my play style, but every now and then I find a tough match up or a really good player. My win rate is about 54% and all I need is more practice (and a secondary) to be a better smash player with D3. Any tips?
Welcome to the Boards!
Yeah For Glory kinda sucks for Dedede 'cause he doesn't like FD against a lot of characters. It's too easy to camp Dedede.
If you're aiming for playing For Glory I'd recommend a secondary who's good at getting around camping.
I personally like using Rosalina as my secondary.

Not entirely sure what to do here, but I'm new to the forums and have mained Dedede ever since Brawl. His character is hilarious and he's got a ton of power to him!
I don't keep track of the win/loss rates on For Glory because I don't care, but I've won quite a few matches with him in both Brawl and Sm4sh!
I'd like to know how to use him better against characters like Pikachu, Sonic, and other faster characters because it can be hard to keep up when a good player is using them.
Good to have ya!
Yeah, those kinda characters are tough for Dedede. 'Cause they're really good at reminding him he has quite a bit of endlag on his attacks.
You just can't let them get to you. They like to fake you out and punish everything you do. Make you play their game
Easier said than done, but you just have to stay cool, try and predict what they'll do and just keep playing your own game rather than giving into theirs.

Thanks in advance!

I'd also recommend Soul Train's guide. Really good.

As for the smilies, they're images I just insert into posts manually.
I keep 'em all stored on my imgur account.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Despite maining the King of Evil, I've decided to branch out and main all the heavies, including the King of Dreamland. What are some things I should know about Dedede?
First of all, Soul Train's video guides all the way. I wish I had seen them before I figured it all out on my own. Would've saved me a month or two...
My biggest piece of advice is to commit to Dedede in the sense that you won't give up playing him early. The tier lists may not mean everything, but they mean something: Dedede is no walk in the park. You're going to be constantly battling from behind. For example, my friend plays a really solid Fox. I get combo'd hard. He may get me to 90% before I do anything substantial, but after that 90% when the combos don't work anymore, the game really starts. I win almost every time.
Those Sonics and Links may be able to rack up the damage, but they can't run forever. Patience isn't a virtue for Dedede, it's a requirement. It'll take time to get your KOs and to get your victories, but that's a pretty damn honorable way to play. Long live the King! :4dedede:

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
@ shrooby shrooby when are we gonna get the official MU discussion back up?
I made a post yesterday in the General Match Up Thread about it. I want to know whether everyone is fine with just continuing on or if we should rerate Diddy and/or Sheik
I have two midterms in the next four days so I'm shooting for the latter half of this week.

Last edited:

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Maybe we should re-do diddy, but after some time. I have just found a couple in FG after the patch. Probably for a totally different reason than the nerf.

I think the Sheik MU has not changed much.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Chokaigi Results (1v1)
Watch the replay
1. ZeRo (Diddy Kong, Captain Falcon)
2. Mew2King (Diddy Kong, Captain Falcon)
3. Fsann (Ness)
3. Cyve (Sheik)
5. Luminous (King Dedede)
5. Shadow (Captain Falcon)
5. MJG (Villager)
5. Daiki (Mega Man)

A King DeDeDe in 5th place. I'm not sure if he has any footage other than the twitch stream, though.
His match starts at 56:50

Fancypiplup

Smash Rookie
try using grabs,tilts,jabs and his gordo more. I feel that helps against those types of characters.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
I actually got on stream in loser's semis with Dedede at Bar Battles in Philly, at about 2:20:00-ish here: http://www.twitch.tv/bifuteki/v/4370650

Upset at how I lost momentum control at the last game, but at least this is some sort of encouragement to me that I might've finally found a character I can completely gel with.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I think ZeRo is great but why is everyone freaking out about how well he handled the match? He just spammed the peanuts, and commentators lost their **** like it was the play of century.
Well, the commentators hype up matches for the audience so I can understand it.
The DDD did great first stock because of less peanut spam. If DDD had something like Link's shield or anything to help him approach, that'd be great.

Fancypiplup

Smash Rookie
I think ZeRo is great but why is everyone freaking out about how well he handled the match? He just spammed the peanuts, and commentators lost their **** like it was the play of century.
The DDD did great first stock because of less peanut spam. If DDD had something like Link's shield or anything to help him approach, that'd be great

Last edited by a moderator:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
The DDD did great first stock because of less peanut spam. If DDD had something like Link's shield or anything to help him approach, that'd be great.
This would make life so much easier. Mega Man and Mario would no longer have the advantage. :4dedede:

RobbyStock

Smash Rookie
First day on the smashboards and i am very happy to find this! A few days ago my friend let my borrow his 3DS with smash 4 on it and i just about immediately fell in love with the game and the king! I'd always had a main character crisis in street fighter, tekken etc. But something about Dedede felt so right when i played as him. So i am proud to offer up my greetings!

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I also mess around with Dedede recreationally (got someone hanging on the ledge with fully charged Jet Hammer today lel).

I feel like he does decently against the following generally strong characters and wondered if you guys felt the same.
:4falcon::4dk::4peach::4wario2:
But yeah, he's fun. Still working on a few things (like properly landing with BAir) but I expect to keep using him.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
A lot of streamers when I ask them to play Dedede they'll always land with dair instead of nair, they never land it and deem the character as terrible. Why?! You're landing with one of his worst moves when you can use nair so you could throw your body at them and get some strings!

Fancypiplup

Smash Rookie
A lot of streamers when I ask them to play Dedede they'll always land with dair instead of nair, they never land it and deem the character as terrible. Why?! You're landing with one of his worst moves when you can use nair so you could throw your body at them and get some strings!

very very true

Top Bottom