• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I don't remember exactly where, but she did say in an interview that she recorded her lines for both Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii in two hours, in the same session. Her voice clips from Galaxy 1 were just reused for Galaxy 2.

Like I said in a post in Marioboards, I don't pay too much attention to the voice actor/actress, but to the voice acting itself. I don't care if it's freaking Rebecca Black as long as she does a good job, and the voice work for Rosalina in Mario Kart 8 is, like I said previously, AWFUL. I can't stand it. She sounds way too happy and too much like Peach >: (

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I'm sure it is Kerri Kane. Kerri and Mercedes sound WAY too different and none of those voice clips belong to Mercedes from Mario Kart Wii...
Are you deaf? Those voice clips are exactly ripped straight out of Mario Kart Wii.

andimidna

Smash Master
Mercedes Rose was definitely my favorite of the 3.
It's what I got used to hearing.
It's the voice I associate with the games that made me I fall in love with Rosalina, being the Galaxy series.
And the one I hear the most often, because I play Mario Kart Wii more than any other game she's in.

I learned to live with SM3DW's voice actress, but I couldn't learn to like MK7's Kerri Kane. And I don't prefer what I'm hearing for MK8 either.

I like when her voice is lower and has a bit of an echo affect to it.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Are you deaf? Those voice clips are exactly ripped straight out of Mario Kart Wii.
I watched the video once more, and there are definitely some voice clips extracted from Mario Kart Wii, as you said. There are others, however, from Mario Kart 7, like the way she laughs when she gets a Par, so I guess they used a mix of both Mercedes and Kerri.

No need to call me deaf, though ¬¬

andimidna

Smash Master
Hmmm... some words are the same, but the pitch is different than Mario Kart Wii's.

It sounds like Laura Faye Smith recreating those lines in a similar voice almost...
I don't think they'd just take her clips from her old voice... but... it sounds like Nabbit and Toadette had something similar done to them.

Not sure. But I just found out Smith is her voice actress for Smash Bros.
I prefer Mercedes, but she's alright too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I saw the MK8 character select screen, and it makes me so happy that Rosalina is on the top row with Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Daisy. She's a legit main character of the Mario franchise, now.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'm so hyped for the Best Buy event. Please, Sakurai...let Rosalina be playable in the demo...I can't wait to **** some *****es up with her and Luma.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
So Baby Rosalina is in Mario Kart 8. I don't know if I'm happy or sad. Happy because one of my favourite character is getting more and more recognition, sad because her baby model isn't even similar to what was described in Mario Galaxy. The fact that she was included in detriment of fan favourite like Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr, etc... will create more Rosalina haters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One could theorize that Rosalina had to give up her signature hair bang at some point before her chance encounter with the stray Luma. But I will agree that Nintendo must be turning lazy if it never bothered to bring back Diddy and Bowser Jr. for Mario Kart 8.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wait, when was it confirmed Baby Rosalina was in MK8?

Plus, there is still a space for Bowser. Jr and Diddy Kong anyway.

And Mario Kart Wii was similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in the sense it didn't show all of the hidden character slots before they were all unlocked. I'm sure there will be more than 3 characters to unlock.

EDIT: Scratch that, I found a screen of Baby Rosie. She's adorable.

Also, apparently it isn't the full roster, according to IGN.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Unfortunately, IGN is not the best place to follow game news. Anyway, I think this leaves a pretty bad wound on Rosalina's reputation, because she's supposed to be like an immortal goddess or something.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wouldn't be surprised if there were DLC characters though.

I don't really think this should be a wound on her reputation anyway. I always thought "Small Rosalina" in 3D World looked like a baby anyway. Plus, she can, well..."die" in that game. So I don't think Baby Rosalina ruins anything. Heck, she can be knocked out in Smash. And we know Rosalina was not born an adult, because of her storybook.

In all honesty though, I don't think alternate versions of characters should hurt that character's reputation, because they are just alternate versions. It's not like Mario Kart has any canon relevance to the already barely existent canon of the Mario franchise. I dislike Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach, because they are just plain lazy (and "Pink Gold Peach" sounds like a bad fan character). But I don't mind the Baby characters, as they are a nice reference to the Yoshi's Island games, while also being adorable.

I'll still be maining Rosalina in Mario Kart 8 though, since she's heavy class. I recall getting more into the heavy class last time I played Mario Kart.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Imo, baby Rosalina can go rot in hell and a petition should be made to have her completely removed.

She ruins Rosalina's backstory completely and her dress isn't anything like Rosalina's dress.

Mario Kart 8 went far down on my to buy list. ever since after the Koopaling trailer it became apparent that they don't have much idea on what people like and the person in charge of the roster and retro selection should be FIRED. (4 64 coarses? only 2 GCN coarses? STILL no Wario coliseum)

Pink Gold Peach is almost as bad.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Imo, baby Rosalina can go rot in hell and a petition should be made to have her completely removed.

She ruins Rosalina's backstory completely and her dress isn't anything like Rosalina's dress.

Mario Kart 8 went far down on my to buy list. ever since after the Koopaling trailer it became apparent that they don't have much idea on what people like and the person in charge of the roster and retro selection should be FIRED. (4 64 coarses? only 2 GCN coarses? STILL no Wario coliseum)

If Baby Rosalina dies, how can Adult Rosalina exist?

I really, really don't see how this possibly ruins her backstory. Especially since MK is completely non-canon (as if Mario has much of a canon to begin with. I've always viewed the Galaxy series as it's own, self-contained canon, because no other main series game has received a direct sequel). Plus, she WAS a child in her storybook.

And you literally get a free game for buying this game. In all honestly, you shouldn't be looking to Mario Kart for strong character representation. It's made to be a racer, the Mario branding is just to add a slight bit of nostalgia and selling power to it.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If Baby Rosalina dies, how can Adult Rosalina exist?

I really, really don't see how this possibly ruins her backstory. Especially since MK is completely non-canon (as if Mario has much of a canon to begin with. I've always viewed the Galaxy series as it's own, self-contained canon, because no other main series game has received a direct sequel). Plus, she WAS a child in her storybook.

And you literally get a free game for buying this game. In all honestly, you shouldn't be looking to Mario Kart for strong character representation. It's made to be a racer, the Mario branding is just to add a slight bit of nostalgia and selling power to it.
I don't have a club Nintendo account and don't plan on getting one, also I'm not sure if that offer is for me.

If that baby had red hair and a different dress, than it would have been OK, but it doesn't and I like to consider every Mario Game canon with spin-offs being like truce, I have my own head canon and in it I even like to consider Baby Mario & Baby Peach, Mario and Peachs kids (who are married) and until now, any head canon involving that Baby Rosalina was completely destroyed.

But now I've decided to make peach pregnent again and she named her child after Rosalina because of her similar hair, maybe I wil get it sooner than later if I can. (I still I'm better off guaranteeing I get Smash Bros for now.)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach.
No Bowser Jr. or Diddy Kong.
Kk.

On the up side, Rosalina is becoming a huge Mario character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's no use complaining at this point. If you don't like the characters that you're seeing, don't play as them. Besides, spin-offs are not meant to be canon.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's no use complaining at this point. If you don't like the characters that you're seeing, don't play as them. Besides, spin-offs are not meant to be canon.
I'm fine with the Mario Kart 8 roster, as I'll probably be maining Luigi, Metal Mario, and Lemmy Koopa.
However I am disappointed that Baby Daisy, Pink Gold Peach, and Baby Rosalina take up two slots that could have potentially belonged to Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong.
On a side note, I think that BJ should have been prioritized over the 'lings, but I like their inclusion (and called it a few years back).

SmashSage

Smash Rookie
If Peach and Daisy have their baby versions, why Rosalina can´t have one?

Rosalina is my favorite character and I really like the inclusion of Baby Rosalina in Mario Kart 8 because is a cute and lovely version of her. Canon or non-canon, Mario Kart is a game with a very varied audience, and the roster have to be varied as well. And of course that didn’t ruins her backstory! In Super Mario Galaxy, Rosalina told us about her childhood, when she lived on Earth, and she mention her parents too, of course she was a baby sometime! Then when she was a child, she met Luma and become to the mother of stars/goddes/protector of the galaxy thing, but she was an ordinary girl earlier, and of course she was a baby earlier! Anyway, the Baby Rosalina’s inclusión shows how popular and wanted character Rosalina is, enough for Nintendo put her in every Mario game that released.

Pink Gold Peach on the other hand disappoints me a little bit, I think is a lame character, same as Metal Mario, but no game is perfect.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I really don't care about Baby Rosalina one way or the other. I'm not going to use her anyway. Like others have said, it just goes to show how popular Rosalina is getting. I know that some people are going to see this as a cop-out and say that she is becoming just another Peach clone, like Daisy. I can understand this point of view, but I think she's going to become more in the Mario series. She got playable status in a main Mario game, and a spot in Smash, and now she is getting put into the sports games. Like others have suggested, I'm really hoping that Rosalina's popularity and new-found prominence in the Mario series warrants her to become a breakout spinoff character like Yoshi and Wario. I definitely think she has the potential. Traveling the cosmos in a spaceship and saving the universe as a powerful space princess? I'd play it. I can totally see this being an epic premise for an RPG. DO THIS, NINTENDO. NOW.

The introduction of Baby Rosalina hasn't changed my perception of her. In Mario Golf, she keeps her powerful presence that I came to know and love her for. She levitates, can telekinetically swing the golf club, and her Birdie animation shows her flying out into space and summoning comets behind her. She still is a powerful character, and I hope she continues to get exposure in the Mario series.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
So... with the inclusion of Baby Rosalina... is there a 4th Rosalina voice actress we'll have to keep up with now? :laugh:

PS I love Baby Rosalina and like Pink Gold Peach, this is just like Mario Kart 7 when everybody hated Honey Queen and she ended up my 2nd most played character.
I loved to play as her because it was so weird. It made no sense and I loved it. And I knew I'd never be able to play as her again.

I'm having that exact same feeling now. I'm going to play as Pink Gold Peach third most (after the Rosalinas) just because, well, I think she has no chance of ever being playable in any future game... ever. This is going to be it for her.
I think we'll see Baby Rosalina more often though, but only in spinoffs like Baseball, Kart, and... that's probably it.
I think it's kind of weird she got in over canon babies like Baby DK and Baby Wario

And she also got in over my most-wanted character, which was very similar in concept.

Young Rosalina.
I thought it would make sense because she's supposed to be older than the other characters (I think) and would represent what started her fanbase in the first place, her amazing backstory.

I really want to see a 3d model of this... but I guess a 2d blurry "painted" art-style will suffice for now...

Zapster7

Smash Rookie
Does everyone seriously hate Metal Mario that much? Mario 64? Smash 64? I think Metal Mario is dope and I think Pink Gold Peach is adorable. They make a metal couple which I think is cute.

On another note, I'm surprised on how much Rosalina is taking off. It's been several years since Mario Galaxy and she's being marketed insanely. Daisy was one of the first ever Mario characters, even before Yoshi, and the poor girl has been ignored by Nintendo. The Super Mario Wii game which was a four player game the playable characters were Mario, Luigi and two generic toads! I was pretty surprised the other two weren't Peach and Daisy. That seems like it would've made perfect sense for a four player game having the four main Mario characters. Even in an interview on why the girls weren't included as playable characters Nintendo responded that programming the movement of their dresses would've been too tedious! LMAO

Anyways, Rosalina seriously looks like on the of the most legit characters in Smash 4. I hope they include her Fire costume as an alternative costume now that they seem to be doing that (ABOUT TIME!).

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
The introduction of Baby Rosalina hasn't changed my perception of her. In Mario Golf, she keeps her powerful presence that I came to know and love her for. She levitates, can telekinetically swing the golf club, and her Birdie animation shows her flying out into space and summoning comets behind her. She still is a powerful character, and I hope she continues to get exposure in the Mario series.
Exactly my opinion. If Rosalina should be present in the next Mario Sports games, then she has to keep her powerful/majestic presence. In a way, she reminds me of princess Zelda. That's why, I really like the way she is in Mario Golf (levitating, telekinesy...), and this is why I don't like her voice actress in Mario Kart 8 (too cheerful).

Like I said, if we see her more and more, she has to keep her charisma.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wanted to get this off my mind, so bear with me for a moment...

In case anyone never got the message, Rosalina's infant form has been confirmed to appear in Mario Kart 8, and this has been stirring up a major controversy with Rosalina's Storybook. However, what people are failing to realize is that the events of Rosalina's Storybook took place after her toddler life. It should also be noted that spin-off materials are not canon to the mainstream Mario series.

Anyway, with that said, here's a theory that I've had in my head, regarding Rosalina's toddler time period.
------------------------
As a baby, Rosalina was the crown princess of a peaceful kingdom that was ruled by her mother and father. One day, Rosalina grew fond of the hair bang covering her right eye, and decided to make it a signature hair style. However, as Rosalina grew older, her parents were about to have another baby. Knowing that her parents would want her to look more appropriate for her princess status, especially with the new baby coming, Rosalina reluctantly gave up her hair bang, but decided to dye her hair red to change things around.

Rosalina's brother was then born, and the family lived a peaceful life for the next set of years. During that time, Rosalina spent time learning Astronomy, and became fascinated with outer space. But one night, before turning in for the night, Rosalina notices an odd-looking star landing somewhere near her kingdom, and decided to check it out.

From there, the story from Rosalina's Storybook began, and after the story's epilogue, Rosalina went back to her natural hair color, and regrew her hair bang during the process.
------------------------
How does this sound for my theory? I wanted to at least make some sense out of the Baby Rosalina dilemma.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's a fine theory.

Now I'm tempted to make a Rosalina headcanons topic here, because I have quite a few.

EDIT: Well this is certainly a dark way to look at Baby Rosalina's introduction:

Last edited:

SmashSage

Smash Rookie
I wanted to get this off my mind, so bear with me for a moment...

In case anyone never got the message, Rosalina's infant form has been confirmed to appear in Mario Kart 8, and this has been stirring up a major controversy with Rosalina's Storybook. However, what people are failing to realize is that the events of Rosalina's Storybook took place after her toddler life. It should also be noted that spin-off materials are not canon to the mainstream Mario series.

Anyway, with that said, here's a theory that I've had in my head, regarding Rosalina's toddler time period.
------------------------
As a baby, Rosalina was the crown princess of a peaceful kingdom that was ruled by her mother and father. One day, Rosalina grew fond of the hair bang covering her right eye, and decided to make it a signature hair style. However, as Rosalina grew older, her parents were about to have another baby. Knowing that her parents would want her to look more appropriate for her princess status, especially with the new baby coming, Rosalina reluctantly gave up her hair bang, but decided to dye her hair red to change things around.

Rosalina's brother was then born, and the family lived a peaceful life for the next set of years. During that time, Rosalina spent time learning Astronomy, and became fascinated with outer space. But one night, before turning in for the night, Rosalina notices an odd-looking star landing somewhere near her kingdom, and decided to check it out.

From there, the story from Rosalina's Storybook began, and after the story's epilogue, Rosalina went back to her natural hair color, and regrew her hair bang during the process.
------------------------
How does this sound for my theory? I wanted to at least make some sense out of the Baby Rosalina dilemma.
What are you talking about? Why the red hair? Please guys, it's only a cute detail from Nintendo give us the Baby Rosalina version, and everyone are lost their minds because that. Why is so polemic the baby's matter? As I already explained, Rosalina's story is't ruins because of this, she had a normal life, she had parents, she was a child, and she was a baby earlier. If you aren't convinced go back to read the storybook in Super Mario Galaxy and you will realize that Rosalina became in the mother of Lumas and got her "galaxy powers" when she was a CHILD, not a baby.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I did my best to speed run as many levels as possible in Super Mario 3D World with Normal Rosalina and her spin move.

Would 240 seconds on Champion Road be considered good (again, with plain Rosalina - I didn't use any power-ups)?

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
So I did my best to speed run as many levels as possible in Super Mario 3D World with Normal Rosalina and her spin move.

Would 240 seconds on Champion Road be considered good (again, with plain Rosalina - I didn't use any power-ups)?
Considering it's impossible for me to even reach half of the level, even with Rosalina, who is OP as hell in that game...

Yes, it is very good.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I felt it necessary to warn you guys about this:

Be very careful when searching for material of Baby Rosalina, specifically fan art. Within hours of the MK8 Direct, someone made Rule 34 artwork of Baby Rosalina and tagged it so that it would come up in various tags related to Rosalina on Tumblr. From there, more of the stuff seems to be cropping up (I ran in to it accidentally myself in the Baby Rosalina tag on tumblr).

So basically, make sure you turn your mature content filters on when searching for Baby Rosalina stuff. And maybe make sure nobody is around when you search for her, just in case anything bad does pop up while they are around and people think you're into that sort of thing.

It's amazing how quickly people want to ruin something completely innocent and sweet.

Oh, and I checked Google Images, since any kids who look for fan art of her will probably look there first. It seems to be safe for now, even with mature filters off (though the odd bit of NSFW Adult Rosalina art may pop up, so if you're with kids, turn it off in that case too, if you wish).

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think I was giving the internet too much credit to expect it to have some degree of standards. NSFW art of Adult Rosalina is to be expected and it goes without saying that you should avoid it if you'd rather not see it, but at least it's not completely disgusting by concept, and Rosalina is attractive in sexual way to many, so of course there'd be a ton of that stuff of her. But the existence of Baby Rosalina art of that kind basically means we've got some pedophiles in the Mario fandom. Which is a scary thought.

But yeah, I just wanted to warn you guys about that, there's no need to really discuss it. Stay safe on the internets, everybody.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Remember, if it exist, there is porn of it. No exceptions.

So yeah, I'm not surprised that there are some disturbing baby Rosie stuff out there now.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My only complaint I have with Baby Rosalina is a complaint I have with the other princesses. Can we please not have them sucking on that dummy all the time, It makes them look cute but its annoying not knowing what their mouth even looks like.

But besides that, I really like Baby Rosalina now (not as much as Baby Mario who will remain my primary main despite being in the same game as Rosalina who will be a secondary falling short as my my primary main, just like she will to Kirby. I've just used them more)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My only complaint I have with Baby Rosalina is a complaint I have with the other princesses. Can we please not have them sucking on that dummy all the time, It makes them look cute but its annoying not knowing what their mouth even looks like.

But besides that, I really like Baby Rosalina now (not as much as Baby Mario who will remain my primary main despite being in the same game as Rosalina who will be a secondary falling short as my my primary main, just like she will to Kirby. I've just used them more)
I'm pretty sure it's not hard to imagine what a baby's mouth looks like. :I

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I do dislike how lazy Nintendo was when it came to characters in Mario Kart 8. Of course, I still love the game.

They could've given Baby Rosalina a small shade of red and a dress like Adult Rosalina's. Really, changing a simple hair texture color takes 2 minutes in PhotoShop. You can easily see Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina are the same exact model as Baby Peach, but with minor changes.

I would've preferred the idea earlier, with Child Rosalina. She'd be very unique and I'd loved to play as her. But whatever.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I do dislike how lazy Nintendo was when it came to characters in Mario Kart 8. Of course, I still love the game.

They could've given Baby Rosalina a small shade of red and a dress like Adult Rosalina's. Really, changing a simple hair texture color takes 2 minutes in PhotoShop. You can easily see Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina are the same exact model as Baby Peach, but with minor changes.

I would've preferred the idea earlier, with Child Rosalina. She'd be very unique and I'd loved to play as her. But whatever.
Actually, the three baby princesses, much like the adults, do have a lot of aesthetic differences. Their facial proportions are different, they have different eyes, different hair, the dresses are different (the bottom of Baby Rosalina's dress, for example, is like her gown, while Daisy's looks like flower petals, and Peach's has a more simple but regal design), etc.

I feel like "Young Rosalina" would not have been appreciated by people who value the integrity of Rosalina's backstory as a piece of art, so using the unseen Baby option is a lot safer and has less serious connotations at face value, as it wouldn't be viewed as canonically significant or disruptive.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Has any body else done a complete U-turn on Baby Rosalina? look at the post I did before

I actually really like the Baby princess, my only nitpick now is the dress and dummy. emphasis on nitpick.

I will enjoy using the beautiful and majestic Rosalina in the best weightclass of all. In fact, Rosalina has changed my attitude towards Mario Kart 8 entirely. while I still think the retro selection is worse than the roster, its hardly a big deal as it means 64 literally can't get overrepresented in 9 if they still don't double dip (although if it gets more tracks than GCN again, someone will get hurt. probably Pink Gold Peach).

I guess thats just the magic of Rosalina. no negatives and plenty of positives.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't mean any offense, but that argument saying that the existence of a baby version of Rosalina in a spin-off game ruins her character is the stupidest thing I've read all day.
It also baffles that people seem to forget that in MKW, Diddy and Bowser Jr. were unlockable characters. So before going on saying that they got the boot for the babies instead, withhold your judgement, think a bit and remember what I wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom