• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Steven Universe, Adventure Time and The Amazing World of Gumball are the only good shows CN airs nowadays. And why do they keep showing reruns of that godawful Teen Titans Go all bloody day? Do they really think so little of their viewers?
Teen Titans Go isn't good, but it also isn't gawful. Also, money is the reason for it to continue.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
No, Teen Titans Go is still a god awful series. The original Teen Titans TV series will always be the superior one even though I wasn't very fond of the anime style concept they put in compared to other DC comics shows like Justice League.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No, Teen Titans Go is still a god awful series. The original Teen Titans TV series will always be the superior one even though I wasn't very fond of the anime style concept they put in compared to other DC comics shows like Justice League.
You just gotta think of it like The SuperHero Squad Show, but without a storyline and more jokes. Or just pretend it's not a comic book show. Also, The DC Animated University in general was the best(Bruce Tim and Paul Dini are legends), including Green Lantern(Young Justice is the only show to match up with it).

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
You just gotta think of it like The SuperHero Squad Show, but without a storyline and more jokes. Or just pretend it's not a comic book show. Also, The DC Animated University in general was the best(Bruce Tim and Paul Dini are legends), including Green Lantern(Young Justice is the only show to match up with it).
I can only think about how corny that **** turned out. Wish they would've just brought the original series back or something. Young Justice wasn't really that great to me but I do acknowledge it as a good show.

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Life gettin' you down? Space waifu has got your back:

brian.png
: What the h*** are you talking about?

I watch Family Guy after getting off from work XD
I can only think about how corny that **** turned out. Wish they would've just brought the original series back or something. Young Justice wasn't really that great to me but I do acknowledge it as a good show.
Ever watched Static Shock before it ended which I don't know when, though? Its a good show.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I haven't watched cable in a while, mainly because it's awkward to install on campus. I've seen bits of Gumball, SU, and Adventure Time and I can say that I find all of them fantastic shows, including Sonic Boom. As for Teen Titans Go...let's just say I have similar views to Mr Enter in this regard. The last things I remember liking on Nick are Korra and Digimon Fusion, but I still have a bit of a grudge against them for what they did to Korra and the producers.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I haven't watched cable in a while, mainly because it's awkward to install on campus. I've seen bits of Gumball, SU, and Adventure Time and I can say that I find all of them fantastic shows, including Sonic Boom. As for Teen Titans Go...let's just say I have similar views to Mr Enter in this regard. The last things I remember liking on Nick are Korra and Digimon Fusion, but I still have a bit of a grudge against them for what they did to Korra and the producers.
I forgave them with NickTurtles and the TMNT/Batman crossover

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The anime style concept that the original Teen Titans series has does add some humor to the mix for the more humorous episodes (the episodes where the intro has the Japanese vocals, instead of the English vocals, which are used for the more serious episodes). It's a shame that it only lasted for 5 seasons, with each one only having 13 episodes.

C3CC

Smash Lord
It's kind of sad that I don't really like Rosalina anymore. What I feared finally occurred: they started putting her in everything and ruined her personality. She pretty much became another Daisy to me... She doesn't feel special anymore.

THAT'S TO ME, OK? I'm not saying it's a fact. It's just that to me the character is garbage now. Sad. At least she's still an awesome fighter in Smash, so I'll continue to main her :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's kind of sad that I don't really like Rosalina anymore. What I feared finally occurred: they started putting her in everything and ruined her personality. She pretty much became another Daisy to me... She doesn't feel special anymore.

THAT'S TO ME, OK? I'm not saying it's a fact. It's just that to me the character is garbage now. Sad. At least she's still an awesome fighter in Smash, so I'll continue to main her :)
I....they really haven't changed much about her though, if at all?

Ultra Smash actually had a really good portrayal of her. The only real bad thing there is that her behind is off model. :V

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I kinda agree with what C3CC C3CC said, though I wouldn't say that I don't like Rosalina anymore nor would I say she's just "another Daisy" She will always be my favorite Mario character of all time for who she really is (must I replay Super Mario Galaxy just to remind myself of this).

I didn't want to see her in games like Mario Party 10, Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games and such. It does feel like they did ruin, or rather took away, everything that made her a very special character in the first place (I.e. her current god awful voice and Baby Rosalina).

At least the Rosalina in Sm4sh is the closest thing to who she really was in the Super Mario Galaxy games and that will never go away.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
^Actually World Tour is closer to how she was in Galaxy. Smash took more liberties.

I don't see why she can't be in spin offs. They have been mostly doing a better job with her than other games. And they've still been emphasising her goddess mama role.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Oh, I forgot about Mario Golf: World Tour. Of course they did an amazing job portraying her the right way. I was hoping they would do the same for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash...but no, they didn't. Her levitating isn't good enough.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I like the Ultra Smash portrayal because she is shown as powerful, graceful and kind, yet sassy and with a competitive edge, which is how she should be.

The only thing I wish is that there were more animations with her or something, but that's a general complaint with Ultra Smash. Oh, and her behind is off model too, but you're not supposed to see it like you do in some other games so it's not a big deal.

Also I don't know why you guys would be upset with her being in Rio. The 3DS version is most likely going to have a story mode, meaning Rosalina will have dialogue for the first time since Galaxy 2.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Get rid of the "sassy" part cuz that's what I don't like about her these days, hence her current god awful voice.

That's just my opinion. I don't like seeing her in spin off games if they're not gonna portray her the right way.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina has always been a bit sassy though.

She's like Professor Layton. Calm and polite but has this subtle sense of cocky humour you see on occasion.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Anyone seen the Batman V Superman trailer yet?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Cocky isn't really the best word to describe Rosalina nor the top hat gentleman himself, at least I think.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Cocky isn't really the best word to describe Rosalina nor the top hat gentleman himself, at least I think.
They are cocky sometimes.

Rosalina's side taunt in Smash comes to mind.

And Layton is a savage when it comes to just laying the smackdown with his words alone.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
They are cocky sometimes.

Rosalina's side taunt in Smash comes to mind.

And Layton is a savage when it comes to just laying the smackdown with his words alone.
Well, that's only in Smash as far as I can tell.

Layton savage? I don't know...but then again I only played two of his games in the series, those being the ones on the 3DS so it's kinda hard to tell really.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I think another problem that exists is the kinds of outfits that Rosalina is wearing now. Is it really that wrong to see Rosalina wearing her signature gown while playing tennis?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think another problem that exists is the kinds of outfits that Rosalina is wearing now. Is it really that wrong to see Rosalina wearing her signature gown while playing tennis?
Is it really that wrong for her to have variety in her wardrobe?

I like seeing her in different outfits.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I kinda agree with what C3CC C3CC said, though I wouldn't say that I don't like Rosalina anymore nor would I say she's just "another Daisy" She will always be my favorite Mario character of all time for who she really is (must I replay Super Mario Galaxy just to remind myself of this).

I didn't want to see her in games like Mario Party 10, Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games and such. It does feel like they did ruin, or rather took away, everything that made her a very special character in the first place (I.e. her current god awful voice and Baby Rosalina).

At least the Rosalina in Sm4sh is the closest thing to who she really was in the Super Mario Galaxy games and that will never go away.
I hated that they included her in Mario Party 10, and ultimately gave up on her when she got added to Olympics. I guess it makes sense that they include her in everything given her massive popularity, but they really did a job on her with her personality. Baby Rosalina's existence started it all in my opinion, as well as her god-awful current voice. I wouldn't say "Fire Laura Faye Smith" because she has shown us that she can be pretty similar to the original voice (Mercedes Rose, which in my opinion is the absolute best of the three), just give her a different direction. AND DON'T FORGET TO ADD THE ECHO, THE ECHO MUST ALWAYS BE PRESENT FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

This too. I think it would have been interesting to see her play tennis in her gown.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina did play badminton (which is similar to tennis) in her gown in Mario Party 10.

And it looked really awkward. So they changed her outfit for Mario Tennis since that's all she's doing in that game.

And I seriously don't get the change you guys are talking about. They didn't change her, they developed her. There is a difference.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I hated that they included her in Mario Party 10, and ultimately gave up on her when she got added to Olympics. I guess it makes sense that they include her in everything given her massive popularity, but they really did a job on her with her personality. Baby Rosalina's existence started it all in my opinion, as well as her god-awful current voice. I wouldn't say "Fire Laura Faye Smith" because she has shown us that she can be pretty similar to the original voice (Mercedes Rose, which in my opinion is the absolute best of the three), just give her a different direction. AND DON'T FORGET TO ADD THE ECHO, THE ECHO MUST ALWAYS BE PRESENT FOR GOD'S SAKE!!
Of course she is getting a lot of attention these days due of her increase in popularity but they seem to have forgotten the main reason why she became popular in the first place.

And the echo in her voice is what made her such an amazing character and Mercedes Rose made it all possible.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes, the development can be a bad thing if it's not executed properly. Obviously, Rosalina had to receive an outfit that's more suited for riding bikes and ATVs. But in the long run, Rosalina just feels like an individual who's better suited for wearing dresses.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sometimes, the development can be a bad thing if it's not executed properly. Obviously, Rosalina had to receive an outfit that's more suited for riding bikes and ATVs. But in the long run, Rosalina just feels like an individual who's better suited for wearing dresses.
But the development isn't a bad thing, they haven't forgotten and left behind her origins (read her Smash trophy and Amiibo website bio), they've kept the same character traits she always had, and simply expanded on them as well as give her new ones that fit. They just made her character even more deep, gave her more agency - which was her strong point from the beginning.

Much like how she needed the biker outfit, she needs the sports outfit. Playing tennis in the gown looks awkward.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Ok so hold on , why would anybody be MAD at all when their favorite character is being included more?

WTF?

Rosalina is one of the ''better'' parts of both Mario Tennis Ultra Trash and MP10 , a game Which is ABYSMAL.

Let's be real for a damn second here. The only way to be pulling down Rosalina nowadays would be her new voice , which in the end , is not sooo bad , especially nowdays. Now that time passed , personally i find a bit indiferent to the change , sometimes i even forget Mercedes ever voiced Rosalina since it's been soooo long.

Other than that , there's nothing else. The outfits she wears are ok. Why is it ok for Peach and Daisy to dress properly to play certain sports , but when Rosalina gets it then she is ''generic''??

I don't get it. While i can agree she could just get the same dress , it just doesn't make sense to wear it all the time.

Why would anybody wear such outfit to play tennis????

I seriously don't understand this board sometimes.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Either they give Laura the echo and make her act more calm and motherly like Rosalina is supposed to be or get rid of her and bring back Mercedes or even Kerri. Nothing more to say here.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Either they give Laura the echo and make her act more calm and motherly like Rosalina is supposed to be or get rid of her and bring back Mercedes or even Kerri. Nothing more to say here.
Exactly this. Her work on Mario Kart 8 was just downright horrible, making her scream "WEEEE!!!!" in a way someone who is not watching TV could bet is Peach. Her work on Super Mario 3D World, however, was acceptable.

I was never a big fan of Kerri either, but she's better than Laura (at least in games post-3D World).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think you guys are just being way too picky over extremely minor voice clips. *shrug*

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
These are literally the only two instances where Rosalina sounds like questionably bad

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0aEww92Ctfy

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0MfRFvh3LWX

One bothers me because her voice sound like it's about to crack and the other is Peachy.

But even so , it's unfair to put Rosalina in this bag considering that

A) The rest of the clips are totally Rosalina-ish

B) Many characters in MK8 , Mario included sound TERRIBLE

''Mario KARTTTT EIGGGHTTTT!!!!'' anyone?

I would obviously understand that the take is not what i would prefer but it's still fitting somehow.

Shame people forget this too :

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1DPsA8eT0RB

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1paCdhEenLE

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1wcKky95305

Those are examples of how she sounds fine.

While i agree that Rosalina's voice was a big part of her portrayal since the games where she comes from are sooo simple , the other big part of her portrayal is still there somehow.

A filter doesn't make the difference either , so people need to get off that horse. The thing that you like is that her voice was more estoic and deeper , and that's it .

I'd rather reserve my detailed thoughts tho , in the end , if the filter or lack of filter conflicts to some in liking a character or not then well , idk.

Also let's Never forget that in any case , this is Clearly Nintendo's fault.

Who were the people that replaced Mercedes in MK7 for starters? Nintendo.

Then , who decided that Laura F. Smith would be a good choice to voice Rosalina? It was Nintendo

And most importantly , Who are the ones that told Laura to voice Rosalina like that and removed the echo filter? it was Nintendo.

Or did you think that VA decide enterily how to voice the characters they get?

Did you think Kerri and Mercedes generate the echo filter naturally with their voices???

Blame Nintendo , instead of blaming people who are doing their job .

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I ain't being picky here, I'm just being honest. I will say her portrayal in 3D World was okay, but after that, it went downhill from there (not counting Smash and World Tour, of course).

Give me the echo or give me death. That's all I'm gonna say.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I ain't being picky here, I'm just being honest. I will say her portrayal in 3D World was okay, but after that, it went downhill from there (not counting Smash and World Tour, of course).

Give me the echo or give me death. That's all I'm gonna say.
Maybe they will bring them back in the next SMG game?
Blame Nintendo , instead of blaming people who are doing their job .
Nintendo has listen to their fans recently, maybe they will change her voice if they found out a majority ofpeople don't like her current voice.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
*Checks SmashBoards after hours of being unable to access Wifi on campus* Oh dear...
Guys, what's going on? Why are we fighting over such trivial things? I don't know if this will help anything, but here's my two cents from the top:
1. I don't agree that putting Rosalina in numerous games as of late can be a bad thing since she's such a fan-favorite loved by many. It's the epitome of fanservice. And would it really make her a better character if she appeared in fewer games? That's honestly sad to think about. Plus, wouldn't you expect to see a main character who is now a staple to the franchise be represented more frequently? Her inclusion in a game's roster, keyword roster, now really isn't much different than the inclusions of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, etc. The unfortunate truth present day is that we really have no new main series Mario title with major new gameplay components or added story (when permitted) to look forward to. Nintendo currently doesn't seem at all interested in further characterizing anyone in the Mario cast really, but rather taking an apparent quantity before quality approach to produce newer titles full of familiar faces to be the drawing point of potential sales. Part of me does think that the business side of things, at least at this moment, could care less about what we want out of these characters in recent games.
2. I honestly don't see any problem with Rosalina having different wardrobe. I understand, M&SG, that you strongly prefer Rosalina mainly wearing dresses, and I respect your opinion. Of course, she looks gorgeous in them. But like what sonicbrawler said, variety never really hurt anyone. I personally feel that Rosalina entering these games and trying new things gives an opportunity for fans to see her take on different activities so we don't have to imagine it ourselves. Same thing I said about her game appearances, it's totally normal for a staple character like her to continue getting exposure. And Swiftie brought up a great point on how Peach and Daisy basically get a free pass while Rosie seems to be criticized more.
3. The arguments on the voices... I'll be the first to admit that Rosalina's voice clips overall have not been perfect, she's still the same Rosalina we know and love. I do agree that I'm not a huge fan of the overall voice work for Mario Kart 8 in general. It honestly wasn't Charles Martinet's best performance either. Yes, it is very true that it is important to give feedback and perfectly normal to seek improvement. Though when you express your constructive criticism in such a way, it doesn't look too good in other people's perspectives. I just don't want anyone to look at us and think, "Oh, they're just being whiny and entitled" or worse.

I'm not exactly the most sociable guy around, but I just can't stand witnessing raging arguments. We're just people who are very passionate towards a particular character and want to see the best from them. I don't really have much to say at the moment, but I hope I was saying what I needed to clearly enough.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't know about them but I still stand by what I've said before and it's not gonna change.

Tali vas Normandy

Smash Apprentice
^I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at lol. Proably nothing I should be looking at before bed.

Anyway, I don't mind seeing Rosalina appearing a lot in games. I actually like it but I really wish she would be in something bigger. I want her to be more than just another character that's only in spin offs.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't know about them but I still stand by what I've said before and it's not gonna change.
So am I, but I still respect their opinions, not like I'm gonna get mad about their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom