• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rosalina is no Zelda semi-clone, she's looking unique and awesome. A little slow maybe, but the range and specials she has shown thus far are awesome. Grabs also seem good.

Am happy she's in though!

Did you all knoe that ChronoBound actually presicted her right? Minutes before the Direct started, Chrono said: We'll see Rosalina's confirmation in this Direct. He still hasn't answered me how he knew this though...

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I really hope they keep announcing things about her.

I mean, they obviously will, but I'm talking about information soon, like over the next few days. Something really big or important to talk about.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina is no Zelda semi-clone, she's looking unique and awesome. A little slow maybe, but the range and specials she has shown thus far are awesome. Grabs also seem good.

Did you all knoe that ChronoBound actually presicted her right? Minutes before the Direct started, Chrono said: We'll see Rosalina's confirmation in this Direct. He still hasn't answered me how he knew this though...

While on NeoGAF, some people were claiming it was leaked. I was seeing "Rosalina in Smash" posts before it even started.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Right, she just seems conceptually similar to Zelda and a lot of her moves have that "magic melee" effect to them. I know she'll be very different, I just hope she doesn't completely outclass Zelda.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm starting to wonder if Rosalina might be Smash 4's answer to Brawl's Meta Knight. I mean, with a Luma by her side, that would have to make it exceeding difficult for anyone to chain-grab her; the Luma apparently can't be grabbed.
She seems to be the answer to the trigger happy/spamming Falco,Fox and future MegaMan mains.
She has a Luma meat shield to absorb projectiles, she can deflect projectiles with that shield barrier move.
Not to mention Rosalina can pursue evasive spammers by attacking herself and the Luma to close in on foes

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Sheik is in, no-one will outclass Zelda but her :smirk:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It doesn't feel like a chore when you're actually having fun playing Smash Bros.
It's a chore when your friend or sibling has to watch you do it instead of doing it alongside you. At least with the God forsaken SSE you didn't have to do it alone.

And again, single-player smash bros. is worthless to me 99% of the time. I want to play with someone. Unless you're in a ripe mood for solo smash, solo smash is literally the most depressing thing ever.

Single-player in smash is actually an oxymoron. Unless you have no one to play with, there's no reason to play single-player. I mean seriously, we as a Smash community have gone out of our way to make Smash have different variations of online. Plus c'mon! Who has a Smashfest or Smash tournament just for single-player=???

On top of that, there won't be secrets. Brawl's roster was leaked 6 months before release, and this game already had 3 characters leaked (and 3 more almost definitely leaked alongside it). We'll probably know almost the full roster before the end of July.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I don't have fun with single player.

I only really enjoy fighting games in multiplayer.
You know you can unlock characters in Smash through Multi-player matches, right?
Characters tend to have two means of unlocking, a single player means and a number of versus matches. (for example, Snake could be unlocked by having him join you in the SSE or by playing 130 versus matches.)
I enjoy unlocking characters in a versus setting, because the winner of the final match (The 130th in the case of Snake) has to fight the Newcomer.

While on NeoGAF, some people were claiming it was leaked. I was seeing "Rosalina in Smash" posts before it even started.
Well, a leak the day of the reveal is kind of stupid. I mean, who even cares about it when it's getting officially announced?

In any case, Rosalina & Luma seem like a pretty great addition. I wasn't really considering her an option, because I didn't quite get how she would work, but thankfully she seems to be one of the more unique characters in the game.

Upon, further inspection of her release video, it seems she works more like a combination of Pikmin & Olimar and the Ice climbers. It seems Luma can be killed, and she can summon another star in it's place. It also appears that through some means (a special move, I suppose) that the distance between her and Luma can be changed.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
You know you can unlock characters in Smash through Multi-player matches, right?
Characters tend to have two means of unlocking, a single player means and a number of versus matches. (for example, Snake could be unlocked by having him join you in the SSE or by playing 130 versus matches.)
I enjoy unlocking characters in a versus setting, because the winner of the final match (The 130th in the case of Snake) has to fight the Newcomer.
Ohh wow I had no idea, thanks for filling me in -__-

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
She seems to be the answer to the trigger happy/spamming Falco,Fox and future MegaMan mains.
She has a Luma meat shield to absorb projectiles, she can deflect projectiles with that shield barrier move.
Not to mention Rosalina can pursue evasive spammers by attacking herself and the Luma to close in on foes
Trigger happy as in projectiles=??? Definitely. All those bullcrap campers, spammers, and runners will get mauled, maimed, and murdered by this psychopathic Norse-esk God from the Stars.

Trigger happy as in technical and fast as heck and beating you to the punch consistently=???

Rosalina will choke when she's pressured, like the Ice Climbers. If you pressure these kind of characters and separate them from their partner, they lose. If you want proof, watch the EVO Grand Finals.

With characters like these, if you control the pace, you're aggressive, and you space them out from their assistant character, they lose almost all of the time.
I may not be the first to point this out, but has anybody noticed that she doesn't seem to have a voice? The Luma does, but I don't think Rosalina herself ever made a noise in the trailer.
It might just be a temporary thing - I'd like to think that she'd be given a voice for the final version.
It is a temporary thing. Sonic barely talked in his trailer. Mega Man didn't say anything (he'll definitely talk).

I don't even think we've heard more than 1 second of Link's grunting (which is funny, because his grunting is the longest and maybe the loudest). :laugh:

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Ideally when I unlock characters. I go on smash wiki and see the easist way to unlock a character... Playing 1000 matches for just mewtwo nobody got time for dat.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, but I want to play as everyone from the get-go.

I want to spend 100+ dollars on these 2 games to play the game with everything available, not do chores.

Plus, the day of "hidden characters" in fighting games is coming to an end. Almost every fighting game franchise has abolished it, because it's tedious, and takes away from the multiplayer basis.

Now if you want to have us unlock them to play them in single-player, I'm fine with that.

I just want to play as Mario, Fox, Toon Link, Ness (?), Lucas (?), Captain Falcon (?), Mega Man, Mewtwo (?), Roy (?), Kirby, Ridley (?), K. Rool (?), etc. from the get-go.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Sounds fair actually. Since the roster is probably gonna be close to 50, having everyone there from the get go is good and just have in game achievements like in Brawl. Hopefully this time they'll drown out the tediousness of having to beat All Star with every character.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I like unlockables. It feels satisfying to beat them to a pulp and then be able to compete as them. It's just I don't like SSE as a way of unlocking them. It should be optional to unlock characters through Story Mode, or even stop you in your tracks until you've unlocked that character in the main game. I still believe we'll see Mega Man, Luigi, Sonic, Marth, Toon Link and Rosalina as unlockables.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sounds fair actually. Since the roster is probably gonna be close to 50, having everyone there from the get go is good and just have in game achievements like in Brawl. Hopefully this time they'll drown out the tediousness of having to beat All Star with every character.
Exactly.

[However, I don't mind doing all the modes (classic, adventure, all-star, home-run contest, break the targets, boss run, race to the finish, board the platforms, multi-man smash, etc.) with every character to unlock non-essential things like trophies, stickers, and collectibles for that. I would like to keep that.

However, having that stuff for stages again (Melee, I'm looking RIGHT AT YOU!!!), songs (grrrh!!!), characters (Melee! I'M LOOKING AT YOU AGAIN!!!!), etc. being "hidden" that way is beyond moronic.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ideally when I unlock characters. I go on smash wiki and see the easist way to unlock a character... Playing 1000 matches for just mewtwo nobody got time for dat.
It's easier to just leave the system on overnight or whatever

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Not entirely sure why we're having this discussion in the Rosalina thread but as far as unlockable characters go; there's a lot of people who really like them, and a lot of people who don't. Both have good arguments, such that I wouldn't call either choice a bad design decision. From what I know of the Smash player base specifically, I'd guess there's more for than against. Personally I've always felt the best solution is to have unlockables but have a code you can find online or something that just unlocks everyone, which is how a lot of older games did it. Nowadays it tends to be unlock everyone by jumping through the necessary hoops or not have unlockables at all, which I don't see the reason for when you can easily have both via code usage.

Anyway regardless of whether we should or shouldn't have unlockable characters, I'd be very surprised if we didn't. Sakurai is a HUGE fan of unlockables in general and he has a philosophy of rewarding the player for playing with in game rewards that he's mentioned a few times, and the use of unlockable characters in Smash has had a lot of positive reception and relatively less negative reception. I'd be incredibly surprised if they dropped the idea.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Guys, I think Rosalina's Final Smash will likely involve all the variations of Lumas she has! :bee:

Anyways, I think we're off topic because there's no Rosalina sub-forum. :p
What if the game launches worldwide at the same time, and you can't find a guide for that=???

That would literally be the worst thing ever. #FirstWorldProblems

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Kind of off-topic:

Do you guys think that the internet will... take... to Rosalina now in the same way as they did WFT? And will it continue for every female fighter they might add?

...including Krystal, Dixie and such?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kind of off-topic:

Do you guys think that the internet will... take... to Rosalina now in the same way as they did WFT? And will it continue for every female fighter they might add?

That already happened years before she was confirmed for Smash. :rolleyes:

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
i still can't believe rosalina is in smash, i still watch the trailer every now and then to make sure its not fake
but WooHoo! rosalina is in smash! ^_^
Kind of off-topic:

............ew

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
i still can't believe rosalina is in smash, i still watch the trailer every now and then to make sure its not fake
but WooHoo! rosalina is in smash! ^_^

............ew

I'm not the kind of guy who likes that kind of stuff, but I tend to leave SafeSearch off because it removes random videos... so my Google image stream annoys me often.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Back on topic, given the footage we've seen, do you think each of the Lumas will have their own independent stamina like Olimar's Pikmin?

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
Just to let everybody know Rosalina is just a huge troll by Sakurai.

Shes not really in the game. That's why there's no sub forum.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Reposting a post I made from the Toad support thread. In particular the first half, as it is relevant to this thread (and I wrote it that way intentionally):

I would actually be fine with both Toad and Rosalina as DLC as long as there is DLC and at least Toad is included in that if not in the game proper. Both hold more relevance and actual playable status in mainstream games as compared to Bowser Jr., Waluigi and Daisy, which is why, like others, I'd now be putting Rosalina's chances above them all - especially due to her large status in not one but two mainstream games, and a third that she is now playable in, albeit as an unlockable bonus extra. She even has Galaxy-themed attacks as her specials, which sets her apart from Peach, so I could see her being at least semi-unique if she were to ever grace the Smash world with her Luma-inous presence - but Toad takes precedence first and foremost, and he has the potential to be a very unique character, unlike Jr., Daisy, and even Rosalina to a certain extent, who would likely be clones of Bowser and Peach, respectively; and Waluigi, who has the potential to be unique, but has never even been in any mainstream game period, and doesn't have the positive recognition to warrant a playable spot at this point, especially compared to the others. Paper Mario is, of course, a very possible contender as well, but still suffers from being Mario in Game & Watch form basically, and despite the potential for great uniqueness, this would likely get lost in translation as has been the case with several characters being clones of another (Falcondorf, anyone?), and I personally don't have high hopes, though it would be awesome.
An addendum to this for this thread, however, is that it seems now that Rosalina is being set up as a main player and a mainstay in the mainstream Mario games in a way that Jr, Daisy, and even Wario never were, and if Sakurai was knowledgeable about this info when he was deciding on rosters, whose to say that Toad and Rosalina weren't both decided upon for inclusion in SM4SH? Rosalina might be a low-priority luigified clone deal, but Super Mario 3D World has definitely put her in the spotlight, and to even have the possibility of being a low-priority addition when she could very well beat out all the other possible Mario reps who might not be considered for inclusion at all, I find to be a big deal - and a very, very good thing for Rosalina.
Called it back in November. Got it all wrong, but still, called it.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
his name is ChronoBound. He obviously traveled forward in time.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Ah, the happiness I feel for Rosalina's reveal. My main has spontaneously changed just like that. I've always liked Rosalina, and the fact she's been getting more and more playable appearances these days makes me really happy. It doesn't matter to me how she plays. She could cheap, weak, light and floatly, whatever. She's gonna be the character I play. It was originally gonna be either Pit or Mega Man, but now it's Rosalina all the way.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
Yah can this be moved and renamed to general discussion or something?

Yah can this be moved and renamed to general discussion or something?

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I'll leave the renaming of the OP to Claire since she's the OP. If she doesn't change in a few days, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom