• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Sheik VS Rosalina is the most dead even match-up in this game that isn't a ditto, and Diddy loses to Rosalina and it's not hard to see why, especially after the most recent nerfs he got.

Also as I already said, the fact Dabuz gets beaten by ZeRo is not important, but rather, why he gets beaten. ZeRo is fundamentally a better player than Dabuz, and Dabuz is only "the best Rosalina player" by virtue of the fact she isn't very popular competitively and he's really the only Rosalina player with real notoriety (he was a notable Olimar main in Brawl, so he had pedigree going into Smash 4). That doesn't equal the best player, that equals the most well known Rosalina player.

It should be noted that ZeRo thinks much more highly of Rosalina on a competitive level than Dabuz does too. ZeRo himself also isn't a slouch at Rosalina (it was ZeRo who did AlpharadTV's "How to Play Rosalina 101" video - not Dabuz), and merely doesn't play her competitively because he personally feels he can't do her the justice she deserves - which is actually why I find Dabuz's attitude in their Twitter "stand-off" really ironic, because I honestly don't think Dabuz represents her to the fullest either, since all he does is play Rosalina defensively and camps, and isn't willing to take risks, even though that's a huge aspect of this character. ZeRo is at least humble and, even though he really COULD win a tournament with Rosalina, he doesn't use her and set a misleading example of "how the character should be played" since he knows the way he plays her is not up to snuff. Dabuz, on the other hand, has been enforcing defensive and campy Rosalina since day one, even though that's not how she should always be played, and his losses are, for some reason, considered losses for the character as a result, because the public is silly.

Dabuz doesn't lose to ZeRo because he plays as Rosalina, Dabuz loses to ZeRo because he is not as good a player as ZeRo and his one track, predictable way of playing as Rosalina is not as perfect as everyone glorifies it to be.
ZeRo... yeah I do say he is a better player than Dabuz, but I treat them both a good Smasher, I really admire Dabuz's Rosalina strategy. You don't really have to take risk in Smash do you? ZeRo, heck, I have time try to understand his Smash strategy, how he play is good, but isn't really that everyone can learn. I just hope they don't end up being rivals after that twitter post. Seeing my two Smash icon have a minor conflict wasn't a thing I really want to see.

I don't really get why the publics are silly, they often set some weird catchphrases and viewpoints...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash is one of the most dynamic fighting games out there, due to how the percentage system changes the effect of connecting attacks and what not. You absolutely have to be willing to take risks.

With Rosalina in particular, she has a lot of somewhat risky tactics that reward her generously if pulled off. Sometimes taking hits for Luma, or taking hits so that opponents are distracted, are legit strategies.

For example, if you charge a Smash attack, but let ONLY Rosalina get hit and have her charge interupted, Luma will still follow through with his attack when you release. Watch how I use this here to set up for a KO using Luma's Up Smash after leaving Marth open by letting him interrupt Rosalina, and then U-air juggling him into a KO from there.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Smash is one of the most dynamic fighting games out there, due to how the percentage system changes the effect of connecting attacks and what not. You absolutely have to be willing to take risks.

With Rosalina in particular, she has a lot of somewhat risky tactics that reward her generously if pulled off. Sometimes taking hits for Luma, or taking hits so that opponents are distracted, are legit strategies.

For example, if you charge a Smash attack, but let ONLY Rosalina get hit and have her charge interupted, Luma will still follow through with his attack when you release. Watch how I use this here to set up for a KO using Luma's Up Smash after leaving Marth open by letting him interrupt Rosalina, and then U-air juggling him into a KO from there.

That's right, Smash bros is the only fighting game that appeals to because the Nintendo characters you like appear in one game, easy to play for kids (Sort of), and the percentage system that made it possible to have a come back. Unlike Street fighter and Teken that mostly cares about combo and spamming, and you are nearly 100% lose when you only have a bit HP. Don't get me wrong, thses two games are great, but it isn't a fair fighting game compare to Smash bros.
I will take risk only on a safe circumstances, like when my opponent has one stack left and I have two stocks etc....

That's right, I always realized that Lumas sometime react her move a bit late, which often delivers surprise attack to my opponent, thanks for the video! :)

Edit: On the GC controller, I can input my buttons and control stick fast, but on the 3DS, it's really hard for me to do a attack that quick.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Tekken does actually have a "Rage" mechanic that is meant for comebacks in the latest iterations, where when your health is low, you deal about 1.5x the amount of damage compared to normal. I actually believe the Rage mechanic in Smash 4 was inspired by this, since some people who worked on Tekken worked on Smash 4.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Tekken does actually have a "Rage" mechanic that is meant for comebacks in the latest iterations, where when your health is low, you deal about 1.5x the amount of damage compared to normal. I actually believe the Rage mechanic in Smash 4 was inspired by this, since some people who worked on Tekken worked on Smash 4.
Wow, you sure know Tekken more than me :)
There is? Rage mechanic in Smash4? You mean you will deal more damage when you are in high percent damage? That's new in Smash4 right?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wow, you sure know Tekken more than me :)
There is? Rage mechanic in Smash4? You mean you will deal more damage when you are in high percent damage? That's new in Smash4 right?
The Rage mechanic in Smash 4 doesn't make you do more damage, but it basically means your attacks have more knockback the higher your damage is. It caps at 150% I think, and at that point, your attacks have 1.5 times the amount of knockback compared to normal. It's new to Smash 4.

Not sure if the latest patch changed anything about it though, so I could be mistaken/have outdated information.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The Rage mechanic in Smash 4 doesn't make you do more damage, but it basically means your attacks have more knockback the higher your damage is. It caps at 150% I think, and at that point, your attacks have 1.5 times the amount of knockback compared to normal. It's new to Smash 4.

Not sure if the latest patch changed anything about it though, so I could be mistaken/have outdated information.
Hm... gotta try it out...

TriTails

Smash Lord
Also, Zero, Who isn't a Rosalina main, is currently undefeated and has defeated Dabuz, the best Rosalina player, quite a bit.
*Watch Mr. CC takes a set off ZeRo*
ZeRo isn't 'undefeatable'. Mr. CC knocks his Diddy out with Luigi.

Although, if you are only on about Dabuz, then my bad.

Oh, and also, I'm interested on seeing Dabuz vs Mr. CC someday.

0:53 - 0:59 = How the Hero-King plays tennis :p.

And by the way, rage starts out at around 50% and maximizes at 150%. This helps some people to kill earlier (Mario should kill pretty early with raged U-smash, and raged D-throw to Luigi Cyclone is absolutely golden), as well as making heavies act like Ganon... and Ganon act like the moon in Majora's Mask... I'm going to assume this mechanic is implemented to help the 'heavies' as none of them really do well in any iteration of Smash.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

ZeRo thinks Rosalina is currently second best (Sheik is first, Luigi is third), believes the Rosalina VS Diddy MU to be in Rosalina's favour, and the Sheik MU to be even and potentially in Rosalina's favour (basically if more Rosalina playstyles start getting noticed and used often, or if Sheik gets nerfed, I'd reckon it could be safely said it's in Rosalina's favour at that point).

His opinion seems almost exclusively based on Dabuz's playstyle (he only uses Dabuz footage and references him a lot), which says a lot about this character - if you only play her defensively and camp a lot, she's still second best.

While I think Rosalina is the best character in terms of potential and overall ability by a wide lead, I do agree with the tier list position - Sheik is just way more popular than Rosalina in competitive Smash since Smash fans prefer rushdown characters and Sheik feels like a Melee character, and Sheik doesn't have nearly as high a barrier to entry as Rosalina does. There are also multiple noteworthy Sheik players who are representing her really well with good results and a variety in playstyles, while Rosalina really only has Dabuz as noteworthy representative so far, and although he does get good results and has since 3DS launch, he has his own particular way of playing that gets predictable, especially for someone who's faced him multiple times (like ZeRo).

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So what you're saying is that we need more viable Rosalina players out there? Hop to it, people =)
It's not that there aren't viable Rosalina players out there, it's just that many of them don't play in tournaments yet, probably due to personal restrictions like money and such.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It seems that based on that last Puzzle & Dragons video, when setting up your party, it seems that there are limits to where each character can be placed.
  • Leader
    • Mario
    • Luigi
  • Helper
    • Mario
    • Luigi
    • Toad
    • Yoshi
    • Rosalina
    • Peach
    • Bowser
    • Bowser Jr.
    • Tamadra
  • Other Party Members
    • Basic Enemies
    • Mash-Up Enemies
    • Bosses
This basically means that four of your party members can only be the enemies that you've fought, while your helpers are limited to (mostly) friendly characters.

I could be mistaken though, but hopefully some questions will be answered once the game is released in North America tomorrow.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah it seems like Mario or Luigi have to be in your team as a leader, and then other major characters can fill up the Helper spot. Then the rest are just generic enemies with no real distinct character.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I got an email from GameStop notifying me that they have shipped my copy of Puzzle & Dragons. I don't know where it is now cuz they don't have the tracking info yet.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

ZeRo thinks Rosalina is currently second best (Sheik is first, Luigi is third), believes the Rosalina VS Diddy MU to be in Rosalina's favour, and the Sheik MU to be even and potentially in Rosalina's favour (basically if more Rosalina playstyles start getting noticed and used often, or if Sheik gets nerfed, I'd reckon it could be safely said it's in Rosalina's favour at that point).

His opinion seems almost exclusively based on Dabuz's playstyle (he only uses Dabuz footage and references him a lot), which says a lot about this character - if you only play her defensively and camp a lot, she's still second best.

While I think Rosalina is the best character in terms of potential and overall ability by a wide lead, I do agree with the tier list position - Sheik is just way more popular than Rosalina in competitive Smash since Smash fans prefer rushdown characters and Sheik feels like a Melee character, and Sheik doesn't have nearly as high a barrier to entry as Rosalina does. There are also multiple noteworthy Sheik players who are representing her really well with good results and a variety in playstyles, while Rosalina really only has Dabuz as noteworthy representative so far, and although he does get good results and has since 3DS launch, he has his own particular way of playing that gets predictable, especially for someone who's faced him multiple times (like ZeRo).
So I guess ZeRo's opinions about Rosalina didn't get affected by Dabuz's Twitter post?
Rosalina is probably the best character that isn't a fast pace/speed character. Dabuz playstyle is of course a more defensive way, but hey, if you can win, it's a good strategy.
It's not that there aren't viable Rosalina players out there, it's just that many of them don't play in tournaments yet, probably due to personal restrictions like money and such.
There is one in Japan, but he isn't as good as Dabuz... and iGGy in Tourney Locator.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
BAM7 pools were done today and I managed to make the Top 32 bracket while mostly playing as Rosalina. :) Roughly 150 people had entered and there was 16 groups. The top two players of each pool advanced, and I had to beat some good Mario, Toon Link and Villager players to make it out. The final bracket doesn't begin until tomorrow; wish me luck. :rosalina:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
BAM7 pools were done today and I managed to make the Top 32 bracket while mostly playing as Rosalina. :) Roughly 150 people had entered and there was 16 groups. The top two players of each pool advanced, and I had to beat some good Mario, Toon Link and Villager players to make it out. The final bracket doesn't begin until tomorrow; wish me luck. :rosalina:
Get to the top, and show off Rosalina to all who don't like her.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Are there any bracket and live streams? When does it start?

And good luck!

Edit:
This video from Alpharad TV which piss me off:grrr::mad::c. I actually enjoy his How to Play 101 videos except the ones that Rosalina is a dummy.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Are there any bracket and live streams? When does it start?

And good luck!

Edit:
This video from Alpharad TV which piss me off:grrr::mad::c. I actually enjoy his How to Play 101 videos except the ones that Rosalina is a dummy.

OK that was just a "I dun goofed" on the Rosalina's part.

People in the comments allegedly saying ZeRo was the Rosalina player here. Even the best players have their goofy moments.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I use Peach as a punching bag, especially when I'm Little Mac. :denzel:
Huh? Really? Well, I use Bowser Jr.
OK that was just a "I dun goofed" on the Rosalina's part.

People in the comments allegedly saying ZeRo was the Rosalina player here. Even the best players have their goofy moments.
Wow, ZeRo do have some time get kicked huh...
Again, I will dislike any videos that includes Rosalina as the dummy in any combo or montage videos. No matter if they are funny or not, if Rosalina is one of the victims in the video, I-WILL-DISLIKE-IT.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Wow, ZeRo do have some time get kicked huh...
Again, I will dislike any videos that includes Rosalina as the dummy in any combo or montage videos. No matter if they are funny or not, if Rosalina is one of the victims in the video, I-WILL-DISLIKE-IT.
Are you seriously over exaggerating about that?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Are you seriously over exaggerating about that?
Only on Rosalina yes.
I just don't like seeing Rosalina gets beaten, that's all. I'm ok with other of my favorite characters, but Rosalina is a character that I don't like to see get defeated in some matches.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Only on Rosalina yes.
I just don't like seeing Rosalina gets beaten, that's all. I'm ok with other of my favorite characters, but Rosalina is a character that I don't like to see get defeated in some matches.
You might be used to how all the Smash trailers and footage never showed Rosalina getting hurt(excluding the Mii Fighter, Palutena, and Lucas trailers). Plus, out of all the characters I don't like seeing get hurt, it's Pit(Uprising is my reason). Rosalina(I'd she was real) would have to get used to getting beaten up a lot since she's in pretty much everything Mario(just wait till she's in Mario Maker).

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
You might be used to how all the Smash trailers and footage never showed Rosalina getting hurt(excluding the Mii Fighter, Palutena, and Lucas trailers). Plus, out of all the characters I don't like seeing get hurt, it's Pit(Uprising is my reason). Rosalina(I'd she was real) would have to get used to getting beaten up a lot since she's in pretty much everything Mario(just wait till she's in Mario Maker).
I only see her getting beaten in Lucas's trailer the most...
Now you are making me uncomfortable LOL...:ohwell: How did find those Gifs anyway? Just curious...

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I only see her getting beaten in Lucas's trailer the most...

Now you are making me uncomfortable LOL...:ohwell:
If she was real, then it would definitely be an unbearable sight to see. Otherwise, you'll just have to get used to it.

And how so?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
If she was real, then it would definitely be an unbearable sight to see. Otherwise, you'll just have to get used to it.

And how so?
Maybe I will, but not yet...

I don't know, maybe feel a bit offended or something... but I am curious how did you find those expression Gifs.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I just type in reaction stuff and ****. I got that one just by typing in "face palm gif" on the search on Bing.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I just type in reaction stuff and ****. I got that one just by typing in "face palm gif" on the search on Bing.
Or you can find funny/classic ones in Knowyourmeme website :bee:

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
Sorry, Rosalina mains, I lost my first two sets and I'm out for this tournament. I was up against two fantastic players who were Yoshi and Meta Knight. I'm still very glad to have made it as far as I did, hopefully I can do better next time. :)

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Sorry, Rosalina mains, I lost my first two sets and I'm out for this tournament. I was up against two fantastic players who were Yoshi and Meta Knight. I'm still very glad to have made it as far as I did, hopefully I can do better next time. :)
Aw... but that's okay,at least you tried your best... Meta Knight and Yoshi aren't really a MU that is favorable for Rosalina.
So where are you in this bracket?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
lol. I've been there before plenty of times. Back then, it seemed overrated sometimes. However, I haven't been there a very long time. Is it still overrated by many as of today?
I learned many interesting memes there. That's all I can say.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
lol. I've been there before plenty of times. Back then, it seemed overrated sometimes. However, I haven't been there a very long time. Is it still overrated by many as of today?
To me, it is. As far as I can say, there ain't nothing really interesting in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom