• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah I don't like that fan-term myself. It's still very weird how the game refers to Rosalina as "Rosalina & Luma", and yet Olimar is just "Olimar", despite having Pikmin by his side.
To be fair 'Pikmin & Olimar' (and Pikmin & Alph) is how he's referred to in Japan..they just chose not to for the English releases in Brawl and kept it that way for the sake of consistency.

Sup3rn00b

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sup3rn00b
3DS FC
4398-9309-7838
Yeah, I would prefer if the game just said Rosalina, But then again, Rosalina actually cares about her companions. She gives credit where it's due.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The game just says Rosalina in certain situations - Pictochat Stage, the crowd chant, and I think Pokémon Stadium 2.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Re: Rosalina vs. Rosalina & Luma vs. Rosaluma

The game calls them Rosalina & Luma I think to call attention to the fact that Luma is a separate controllable entity. Even though Rosalina is the main fighter of the two, any given input makes both of them do whatever. Olimar, by contrast, uses his Pikmin for his attacks but the Pikmin are not independent, controllable entities. (Quite the opposite, if they manage to get stranded they spontaneously die after a few seconds.)

Rosalina is simply a compressed form for the sake of saving space.

Rosaluma is a nickname for the duo that I personally don't use but that's whatever. It serves the same purpose of reminding everyone that they're a duo while being shorter to type. It also has potential as a shorthand to refer specifically to the pair when Luma is linked to Rosalina, as opposed to when they're separated after Luma Shot. (Or when Luma is dead.)

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
The game just says Rosalina in certain situations - Pictochat Stage, the crowd chant, and I think Pokémon Stadium 2.
Heck, even the instruction booklet refers to her as just Rosalina. I hope she's called just that in the next game. I feel Luma kind of steals the spotlight by making her have to share it with him.

I think you mean "Rosaluma & Lina":

Oh my God :'''D

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
I have a Rosalina amiibo! She's damn good-looking, would highly recommend.

Unnecessary pic:

Unfortunately this Luma has a little bit of its eye paint scrapped off but it's nothing I can't fix when I open it. Good luck to everybody else in the acquisition of their amiibo. May the stars shine down on you. :)

KarToon

Smash Rookie
Look who came just in time to keep me company as we watch Apex this weekend! <3

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Huh? This thread was locked for a bit? I understand why, but that was certainly surprising to come back to.

I have a Rosalina amiibo! She's damn good-looking, would highly recommend.

Unnecessary pic:

Unfortunately this Luma has a little bit of its eye paint scrapped off but it's nothing I can't fix when I open it. Good luck to everybody else in the acquisition of their amiibo. May the stars shine down on you. :)
*Sigh* My amiibo still hasn't come in yet and my tracking still only says "Pre-order confirmed." I'm honestly a little worried right now.

Rosalina names?

I really just call her just about anything.

Most of the the time I call her Rosie if I want to be playful. and Rosalina if I just want to be normal.

I sometimes call her Rosaluma but eh, if I want to include Luma, I usually just fully say Rosalina & Luma.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I stick with Rosalina for the following reasons.
1) She's the one I care about.
2) She's the one you actively control..the rest is essentially having her tell Luma what to do.
3) She's ultimately the 'important' one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I stick with Rosalina for the following reasons.
1) She's the one I care about.
2) She's the one you actively control..the rest is essentially having her tell Luma what to do.
3) She's ultimately the 'important' one.
Pretty much all of those things on my end too. Of course, that's not to say that I don't have feelings for the Lumas.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Pretty much all of those things on my end too. Of course, that's not to say that I don't have feelings for the Lumas.
Of course, the Luma are adorable! They're like Rosalina's Toads.

Oh, and I forgot a reason..
1) Unlike Luma, Rosalina is the character who's colour you actually pick whereas the Luma has a random colour.
2) Luma can be KO'd with no score change while Rosalina is the one actually counted.
3) Luma moves on its own, essentially, you just throw it or call it back to you.

Those indicate to me that you play as Rosalina herself and just command the Luma.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Palutena's Guidance for Rosalina does state that Lumas move independently of Rosalina, and it's visible in gameplay too. That's the only thing that can be corrected of the above.

Personally, I normally just say "Rosalina" for convenience sake. And she's just the more recognisable of the two anyway, so it's less confusing for people who aren't well versed in Galaxy lore.

Lumas are my favourite side/"race" character though, and they are a part of why this is my favourite character in Smash - I got my favourite female main character AND my favourite race character bundled together.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What's up Rosalina & Luma mains? Anyone of you want to tutor me and help me with how to use her? Been wanting to pick her up as a 4th character but I don't know what I'm doing when I play as her... lol.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
What's up Rosalina & Luma mains? Anyone of you want to tutor me and help me with how to use her? Been wanting to pick her up as a 4th character but I don't know what I'm doing when I play as her... lol.
Well, I would be glad to help as much as I can. Though, we need to know what you need help on first.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Pro tip: if the enemy hits a blast line, he dies.
Really, it would be easier if you first say what is your issue with her.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
View attachment 37455 Was on Nintendo's website and saw this. Rosalina is here to stay, as if that wasn't obvious already.
If I had a nickel everytime that was said or something similar in this thread, I'd be rich. :p

But yeah, it really is thankfully obvious just how Nintendo loves Rosalina. Really can't wait to see more of what they do with her and her amiibo. Speaking of which.

*Slams head against wall repeatedly* Why won't you get shipped yet?!? ;_;

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina has always been a late addition to the main Mario cast, just like Bowser. Jr before her.

She also is genuinely cherished at Nintendo. She's Nintendo EAD's baby, and one of the rarer Nintendo characters made specifically for people to love the character on a more personal level.

C3CC

Smash Lord
My suggestion would be that, at first, while you get to know her, don't pay attention to Luma. Focus on Rosalina only so you get used to her attacks' speed, knockback, range, damage, and stuff. You'll be more aware of her attributes overall: running speed, falling speed, grab game, throws (Back Throw is specially good if the opponent is over 90% and you're near the edge), etc. Her jab game is also very good.

After you know how Rosalina plays, you can start playing around with Luma, and do the same you did with Rosalina. Luma is very strong, and obviously not as complex as Rosalina.

That is the way I learned how to play as her. She looks like a complex character, but she isn't really thaaaat hard to master. It just takes time and dedication. Feel free to ask us Rosalina mains for any tips if you want to know more :)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Following what C3CC said, Rosalina does take quite a while to use effectively, but she is easier to pick up than someone like Robin, Greninja, or Wii Fit Trainer.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Following what C3CC said, Rosalina does take quite a while to use effectively, but she is easier to pick up than someone like Robin, Greninja, or Wii Fit Trainer.
Robin is on about the same level as her (though I think Rosalina is a bit harder to get into), but Greninja and WFT are in no way harder to use than Rosalina. WFT especially makes a good beginner character.

Controlling two entities is always going to be more elaborate and complicated than controlling one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Robin is on about the same level as her (though I think Rosalina is a bit harder to get into), but Greninja and WFT are in no way harder to use than Rosalina. WFT especially makes a good beginner character.

Controlling two entities is always going to be more elaborate and complicated than controlling one.
Maybe I'm just saying this because I'm rather lousy with using Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer, and I'm not very comfortable with Robin's tome limitations.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not amazing with them or anything, but WFT is just a matter of figuring out her slightly unusual attack hitboxes, and from there you're fine. Greninja is basically just a rushdown character with an unfortunate amount of end lag and landing lag, but staying on the ground is most effective. Neither of them have a unique, overarching gimmick or anything, like Rosalina does.

Robin does have an interesting and unique gimmick, but it's comparatively easier than Rosalina's, and you generally just have to make sure to vary your attacks.

In general, Rosalina, Robin, Shulk, Olimar, and Sonic are the most difficult characters to master in the game, if you ask me. All of them have extremely unique ways of playing, and have a lot of nuances to master.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Greninja is basically just a rushdown character with an unfortunate amount of end lag and landing lag, but staying on the ground is most effective.
See, this is why lots of people think Greninja is bad.

Greninja's great mobility on most fronts may lead you to think he wants
to close in at all costs, which is sort of true, but his attack speed prohibits that.
Instead he is more of a bait-and punish character who uses his mobility to harass
his opponent and stay out of trouble until he gets an opening. He has a projectile to damage
opponents while waiting for that chance. Playing this way also helps him put his relatively
high KO power compared to other speedy characters to use.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
See, this is why lots of people think Greninja is bad.

Greninja's great mobility on most fronts may lead you to think he wants
to close in at all costs, which is sort of true, but his attack speed prohibits that.
Instead he is more of a bait-and punish character who uses his mobility to harass
his opponent and stay out of trouble until he gets an opening. He has a projectile to damage
opponents while waiting for that chance. Playing this way also helps him put his relatively
high KO power compared to other speedy characters to use.
I'm aware of that, but he still does quite well at rushdown. Not against better rushdown characters, but in general, he's good for it.

He's basically Brawl Sonic - you're either rushing down slower characters or baiting-and-punishing faster characters.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm aware of that, but he still does quite well at rushdown. Not against better rushdown characters, but in general, he's good for it.

He's basically Brawl Sonic - you're either rushing down slower characters or baiting-and-punishing faster characters.
Mehh...personally I think it's very hard to play him without a little baiting no matter who he's
facing. Slower characters just happen to give more opportunities to move in, which can give the impression
of rushdown.

I mean let's be real, Greninja doesn't have much in the way of straight approaches.
You have dash grab and, I guess dash attack? Aerials are either too slow or situational
on ground opponents. This makes me realize Greninja is VERY fortunate to have a projectile,
as otherwise people would just bait and punish HIM. Oh, and his shield game is pretty poor too,
with a slow standing grab (jab is good at least) and his other options being sub-optimal. This makes it VERY important
for Greninja players to use his mobility to the fullest in order to avoid being caught. Kind of like Yoshi
in past games.

Once he does land a hit, though, his mobility once again helps him by enabling him to be able to catch
his opponent almost no matter where they may go. Granted, his attacks need a fair amount of precision,
but the potential is there.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mehh...personally I think it's very hard to play him without a little baiting no matter who he's
facing. Slower characters just happen to give more opportunities to move in, which can give the impression
of rushdown.

I mean let's be real, Greninja doesn't have much in the way of straight approaches.
You have dash grab and, I guess dash attack? Aerials are either too slow or situational
on ground opponents. This makes me realize Greninja is VERY fortunate to have a projectile,
as otherwise people would just bait and punish HIM. Oh, and his shield game is pretty poor too,
with a slow standing grab (jab is good at least) and his other options being sub-optimal. This makes it VERY important
for Greninja players to use his mobility to the fullest in order to avoid being caught. Kind of like Yoshi
in past games.

Once he does land a hit, though, his mobility once again helps him by enabling him to be able to catch
his opponent almost no matter where they may go. Granted, his attacks need a fair amount of precision,
but the potential is there.
Yeah that's pretty much Brawl Sonic too, except for the projectile. :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
During the times that I used Greninja, I had the realization that it's not very safe to use. Anyone who expects Shadow Sneak to pop up can just shield it, and then grab Greninja afterwards.

Rosalina, on the other hand, doesn't have to put herself at risk all the time, as she can always send the Luma out first to pummel her adversary.

Rosalina just feels safer, since she doesn't always have to fight aggressively. Of course, the custom specials can help her out even more.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash 4 Sonic really isn't much different from Brawl Sonic, he just gets much more reward on everything.
He feels a lot a faster and just flows a lot better. In Brawl, he had the same problems Greninja had, especially with his aerials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom