• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

most underrated character ever?

The Sìrén

Smash Cadet
Eh, probably Pokemon Trainer as the MOST underrated. He has TONS of potential. TONS of it.

Then probably Sonic, even though he went WAY up in the new list.

And lastly, I think Link is also quite underrated. I mean we've seen Deva's Link beat DSF's Snake a while back. That shows that he has tremendous potential.

EDIT: I'm referring to Brawl only, in case you were wondering.

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
Link
...in every Smash game.

Can you back that up???

I can see in Brawl how Link is not the best, but in Melee, Link is King, and it isn't a "oh wow he actually can play good" thing, it's painfully obvious. Link is the guy I always heard being called cheap, and his speed is average while his getback is decent, but his power and overall playing ability is much high.

I think by making Link heavier in Brawl and adding a chargable up lowered his efficivness, but to say that in all the games he is unappreciated, I don't understand.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
but they gave him the gale Boomerang, which gave more range to his >B. and Melee Link was only bad because he had a strong Dair that could hit multiple times.

PrinceRamen

Smash Lord
NNID
PrinceRamen
3DS FC
1590-4706-2476
Sonic is so underestimated. Go Go Sonic!
Oh and Kitamerby is right, mk is so much better then people expect.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is so underestimated. Go Go Sonic!
Oh and Kitamerby is right, mk is so much better then people expect.
How can MK be underrated? That would be like saying Ganon is an overrated character.
MK is ranked #1 and Ganon is ranked #37 (well, not sure, but he is the bottom).
Silly

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Lucas. His AT's are incredible, his moves have interesting properties, he has some solid kill moves, and his specials (Other than PK Freeze) are very useful.

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
but they gave him the gale Boomerang, which gave more range to his >B. and Melee Link was only bad because he had a strong Dair that could hit multiple times.
Just for point of refference I think Link's Gale Boomerang is the best, I guess you just don't know how to use it, I have demo's of me pwning my friend with it.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Eh, probably Pokemon Trainer as the MOST underrated. He has TONS of potential. TONS of it.

Then probably Sonic, even though he went WAY up in the new list.

And lastly, I think Link is also quite underrated. I mean we've seen Deva's Link beat DSF's Snake a while back. That shows that he has tremendous potential.

EDIT: I'm referring to Brawl only, in case you were wondering.

I'd agree that Link, Sonic and Pokemon Trainer have some untapped potential

I think the problem with Link (I only had the original smash bros) is he's become a bit heavier and slower which has put him at more of a disadvantage. but a good Link is a scary foe.

Sonic's game is quite different to most other characters and most people are pretty average with him which is good but his lack of KO power lets him down. A good Sonic player utilises his moveset and will switch things up and change things quickly.

Pokemon trainer is iffy, he was a character I wanted to be good at when I begun playing. But I think the problem for me, as for most people, is that only particular Pokemon you excel at or enjoy playing which is a bit of a letdown

markopoleoh

Smash Cadet
Poor jigs :( she/he (IT :) ) is very underrated. maybe its becase there arent to many jigs players, if there were IT:) would have probably been middle tier. PT is pretty underated to, but it seems many people think hes got some type of potential, so not as underrated as jigs.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'd have to agree with Pokemon Trainer. It seems like there is so much potential there to be the very best. Like no one ever was.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yoshi and Samus.

In Melee? Not sure. I stuck to Captain Falcon now, and he's pretty ****.

Every character is going to be described as "underrated" sooner or later. :dizzy:

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Many of Ganondorf's matchups. There are many 20/80 matchups as rated yet a Ganon has cleared it in a tournament, and it includes the "opinionated" 0-100 Ice Climbers.

Many of his matchups are not that impossible, it just requires high mental skill and is no longer as low as 30-70.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon Trainer

Although he is starting to get more respect. I think he has by far the most untapped potential in the game.

Edit:

I still don't get how every pokemon gets called he or she when in the games the pokemon can have either gender unless they are genderless like Mewtwo (who ironically, is one of the few pokemon that is usually called "he")
People call Ivysaur, "Ivy" for short. And Ivy is a girl's name, hence her being called Ivy.

Beta Knight

Smash Cadet
I think Link is because although he's 2nd to worst character, He's got a whole bunch of projectiles which can be lethal in the right hands.

Hong

The Strongest
Hmm, in America, probably Pit. He's not low tier, but he's much better than people credit him for. Just too many dumb Americans ruining the character. Besides that I'd say Ivysaur and Link.

Melee? Roy. Not to say he deserved to be top tier, but he has a lot of easy combos with a tough time getting kills at higher percentages.
SSB64? No one is underrated enough worthy of mention.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon Trainer

Although he is starting to get more respect. I think he has by far the most untapped potential in the game.

Edit:

People call Ivysaur, "Ivy" for short. And Ivy is a girl's name, hence her being called Ivy.
Ivysaur makes deep grunting noises though, at least Jiggly and Pikachu make high pitched noises

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
ganon and young link

EDIT: and lucas ive found out so much on how to use his moveset to my advantage that i secondary him now

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
I would say Ganon. Sure he's slow but the guy is a walking tank.
Not really, Ganon should be in EF tier for Epic Fail, the problem is mainly his attack speed, if it were not so slow and more like DDD's, Bowser's, or DK he wouldn't be dead last on the tier list. Think about it, all 3 of those guys got some kind of attack that can go fast and they are all heavy (I think heavier, but not sure). Not to mention Ganon's recovery is a Fail, don't get me wrong, Bowser doesn't get back on stage that easy either, but his is better and he is the heaviest so it takes more to knock him down.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Not really, Ganon should be in EF tier for Epic Fail, the problem is mainly his attack speed, if it were not so slow and more like DDD's, Bowser's, or DK he wouldn't be dead last on the tier list. Think about it, all 3 of those guys got some kind of attack that can go fast and they are all heavy (I think heavier, but not sure). Not to mention Ganon's recovery is a Fail, don't get me wrong, Bowser doesn't get back on stage that easy either, but his is better and he is the heaviest so it takes more to knock him down.
Ganon doesnt need speed to win. He just needs to punish.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
SSB 64 = Yoshi
Melee = Pichu, Ice Climbers, Yoshi
Brawl = Jigglypuff, Yoshi

I normally play with my group of friends, and among us, this is what has been discussed. Apparently, nobody likes Yoshi, Pichu in Melee was kind of a given, and Ice Climbers... I guess none of us ever gave them a chance. Jigglypuff just lost its charm in Brawl for some reason...

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Ganon doesnt need speed to win. He just needs to punish.
Ganon is the worst character in the game because his attacks come out so slow it is hard to even punish. His recovery sucks, his mobility sucks, he has no projectile, his nB sucks, his upB sucks, his sideB sucks, his dB is OK, his attacks are to slow, he is a walking tank that takes to long to fire and has to restart the process after getting hit.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Mario is the most underrated character. First of all, how can a character made exactly for balance and middle-ground fighting style be so low? Sure his recovery is less than excellent, but he has an amazing gimping game with his cape and FLUDD, he has fast uair and bair that can "combo" into each other, his fair is a meteor, his smashes are decent in knockback, speed, and lag, and his throws are about average. This description doesn't sound low-tier to me.

Others I think are underrated are Zero Suit Samus and Jiggs

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
Lucas.

So much potential, and nobody using it.
I am indeed using said potential as he is my main, I find it hard to see what people don't see in him.

But as far as underrated goes, in which by definition, has great promise that goes unnoticed, not to be confused with characters that are just plain bad.

I would have to say Marth, I don't ever see a lot of people use him but he can be quite good if you learn his moves.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Mario is the most underrated character. First of all, how can a character made exactly for balance and middle-ground fighting style be so low? Sure his recovery is less than excellent, but he has an amazing gimping game with his cape and FLUDD, he has fast uair and bair that can "combo" into each other, his fair is a meteor, his smashes are decent in knockback, speed, and lag, and his throws are about average. This description doesn't sound low-tier to me.

Others I think are underrated are Zero Suit Samus and Jiggs
Mario kinda sucks, he was meant to be balanced but wasn't. In Melee he wasn't bad but in Brawl he got nerfed. His fireball isn't really good as a projectile if you compare it to Falco's or Wolf's gun or any of TL projectiles. His meteor smash sucks, in Melee is was better but again isn't as good in Brawl. His only smash with that good of knockback is his Fsmash. The best special move he has is probably the cape.

Moozle

Smash Champion
In Brawl I think Bowser is one of the most underrated. It's silly, but there are tons of people that say "What the hell? Bowser is higher than my main?!?" but that's scrubs for the most part. I also think Jiggs is underrated.

Top Bottom