• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most nerfed character?

_gold_

Smash Master
Mr. Sakurai should be commended for his dedication, but no one is perfect, and sometimes things slip. Like veteran characters getting nerfed. What are some veteran characters, N64 - Brawl, that you think have clearly been nerfed? My favorites in Brawl, Wario and Fox, both seem to have gotten a little beaten in development. But I don't care, I find new ones.

Nerfed characters? Let's list em.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Meta Knight and Olimar for certain. Ice Climbers were completely nerfed out of the game... *trollface.jpg*

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Olimar.
He was really good, now he is useless, at least Meta Knight is still decent.

Marth and G&W are pretty bad now too, compared to their Brawl counterparts.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Fox is actually better imo than in Brawl. Still not as good as Melee, but better than Brawl.

I would say definitely Meta Knight and Olimar for the most, then Marth and Falco.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Has to be Falco. I didn't say MK because he deserved the nerfs badly, and he can still be effective in the right hands (honestly same goes for any character). But Falco, his CG and SH laser routine are both gone which were the only general reasons why he was great. The only buff that's really visible for him is a slightly better recovery via being able to Up-B after midair Side-B. Apart from that, big nerf indeed.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
D3 got hit with the nerfbat pretty hard.

His aerials are all crap now (Bair especially) and his only projectile is a massive liability. If your opponent stays spaced correctly, they can ram it back down his throat nearly every time.

Niala

Smash Ace
I'd say Falco. Other characters who got nerfed but still have real advantages that counterbalance the nerfs, Falco just has nothing left. He can't zone with lasers as they don't autocancel now, Dair got slowed down drastically so his only way of getting early kills is dead in the water, his chaingrab is gone, no DACUS, weaker Bair (not a sex kick anymore.) Of course, as a Brawl Falco main I'm biased as hell, but it seems to me the other characters who the nerf-hammer hit in the face weren't hit quite as hard.

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
If the OP is thinking in comparison to their former version, I assume it's meta knight/falco. Don't think most character comes close to how much those two have been nerfed.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
D3 got hit with the nerfbat pretty hard.

His aerials are all crap now (Bair especially) and his only projectile is a massive liability. If your opponent stays spaced correctly, they can ram it back down his throat nearly every time.
For some reason, everybody says that he is pretty good.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
To respond to a few other posts including OP. Mario, Wario, and Fox are all better than brawl. I agree with all the other posts though. Oh and D3 got nerfed hard.

Meta knight
Olimar
Falco
D3

I would also add
Marth
DK (all DK mains know this)

Also 1.0.4
RIP greninja

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Poor Marth. I know they said in Awakening that Falchion changes its form sometimes, but a dagger is no sword.

And of course, the obvious Metaknight and Falco answers.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
- Meta Knight obviously. It wouldn't be so bad if his hitboxes even matched, but they don't, and it is extremely noticable, lol. Got to love aiming an aerial at an enemy and have it miss while your sword is poking half-way throgh their body and they didn't even dodge... GG, lol.
- King Dedede got hit really hard IMO, and he seems to be overlooked by many. He lost utility, kill potential and much much more.
- Greninja... He isn't a vet, but he got rekt in the patch. R.I.P buddy.
- Falco. Nope, speeding up the laser a few frames didn't compensate for all the other nerfs he got, sorry Sak.
- Olimar. Dear God, poor Olimar.

I also agree with Marth and Wario as well, but I personaly think that Mario and Fox seem quite a bit better than Brawl.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Olimar. I mained him in Brawl and now there is only sadness when I play him.

I actually like DK more in Sm4sh than in brawl, his charge attack goes long enough to punish rolls, side-b is a shield killer now, plus aerial down-b providing a safe spike that gimps tons of recoveries with a hitbox that extends below the edge of the level. I also feel like up-b has been upgraded. His nerf is mostly in his grab game, which I know is important, but it seems like all the grabs have reduced range a bit in Sm4sh.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
DK has reduced forward tilt range, reduced up tilt knock back, no kill potential from side b, more lag frames at the end of down b, reduced hitbox on down smash and a gap in hitbox on side smash, reduced hit box on dair, and reduced duration on bair. He was given a couple new tools but his nerfs coupled with the fundamental changes made to this smash iteration make him overall worse. He's good against some characters but awful against ranged characters.

Wario is tough to use but I've faced a couple people in FG who were really good with him. His aerial ability to attack and reverse his momentum is deadly when used correctly.

Last edited:

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Game and Watch suffered badly, literally the only good thing he has going for him now is good mobility.
I feel your pain Dekonk, was trying out DK a few days ago and he feels a lot worse than he did in Brawl IMO.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
MY GOD, I dislike olimar, never played him, never wanted to, but he didnt deserve to be fkd quite this way
they nerfed olimar so bad that im afraid to play random now

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ike felt sort of nerfed before 1.0.4, but now he is buffed compared to Brawl.

Also Dr. Mario was hugely nerfed compared to Melee. He's just objectively worse than Mario in almost every way, and even has a recovery no better than Ganondorf's under the default specials. Literally his only advantage compared to Mario is the strength, but Mario has much better combo ability anyway and he has an effective spike, so it really doesn't matter that Dr. Mario has a bit more strength.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, Falco got hit really hard with those nerfs he received. Took out everything that made him a pain in the *** to fight against but now, they just made him a laughing stock. Still doesn't mean he's a terrible fighter though.

I'm not surprised about Meta Knight because he deserved getting those nerfs.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meta Knight and Olimar were over-nerfed, now they aren't fun anymore... the gliding mechanic needs to come back... Olimar needs to have more Pikmin than 3 (make it 4) and his recovery sucks (needs more Winged Pikmin). I wish Olimar was the same as in Brawl while Alph is the new Olimar.

Kirby... well, he is okay but I hate how they changed his hammer move into a charging hammer. I don't want to walk around with a hammer. When I use the hammer, I expect it to hit enemies immediately.

Charizard is pretty awful... I wish they would keep Rock Smash as side special instead of down special or at least make it a down special counter. The new move Fire Blitz or whatever it's called needs to be his new up special instead of Fly. He also needs to glide again.

Pit was pretty fun in Brawl... not so much in SSB4. I wish they had kept the gliding mechanic because my favorite Pit (and Meta Knight) move was pressing the A button while gliding to attack enemies. I wish they kept Pit the same as in Brawl while Dark Pit would still be the same as he is now... and at least Dark Pit wouldn't feel like a clone.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
DK has reduced forward tilt range, reduced up tilt knock back, no kill potential from side b, more lag frames at the end of down b, reduced hitbox on down smash and a gap in hitbox on side smash, reduced hit box on dair, and reduced duration on bair. He was given a couple new tools but his nerfs coupled with the fundamental changes made to this smash iteration make him overall worse. He's good against some characters but awful against ranged characters.

Wario is tough to use but I've faced a couple people in FG who were really good with him. His aerial ability to attack and reverse his momentum is deadly when used correctly.
However, he has a better jab, down tilt, and up tilt, and up smash. Uair is faster and bigger hit box, I get lots of vertical kills with it. Bair might not last as long but it has increased range and is key in approaching ranged characters (roll jump backwards, bair). I find the new dair to be easier to land.

Down-b has a bigger hitbox to go along with the longer ending lag.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
How is the dtilt better? Up tilt has less knock back. Bair does not have increased range... Dair has massive recovery frames and smaller hitbox, (it was a lot bigger than it looked) down b has the same hitbox it's just the animation actually reflects the hitbox now.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Falco and Meta Knight unanimously hog this award. RIP in peace, precious babies.

I honestly think Falco had it worse, but semantics, child.

Last edited:

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
Wait, Olimar was actually nerfed? I have barely played as him but I swear I've heard he sucked in Brawl but is good in this game somewhere before.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wait, Olimar was actually nerfed? I have barely played as him but I swear I've heard he sucked in Brawl but is good in this game somewhere before.

Brawl-imar was excellent in Brawl if you knew what to do with him. I'm no expert, but I believe he was able to rack up damage extremely quickly due to having six Pikmin to throw onto people.

In Smash 4, he doesn't have that, and I believe his KO power has been worsened.

It doesn't help that the Smash 4 newcomers just completely disrespect him (Little Mac's Super Armour, Rosalina using Gravitational Pull on his Smash attacks and just Lumas being way more versatile than Pikmin, etc).

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
How is the dtilt better? Up tilt has less knock back. Bair does not have increased range... Dair has massive recovery frames and smaller hitbox, (it was a lot bigger than it looked) down b has the same hitbox it's just the animation actually reflects the hitbox now.
Down-b still seems to hit a little outside the animation. Maybe the box isn't bigger. I guess I would have to study that harder.
Dtilt seems to chain better, but maybe I'm hallucinating.

_gold_

Smash Master
To respond to a few other posts including OP. Mario, Wario, and Fox are all better than brawl. I agree with all the other posts though. Oh and D3 got nerfed hard.
Wario has his pros and cons in SSB4. For instance, I'm pretty sure he can stay on his bike forever, unlike Brawl. Second, his waft seems to be more effective. Unfortunately though, his side and up smashes have completely changed, and for the worse. They aren't near as useful.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
At least Kirby didn't get nerfed!

He had nothing for them to nerf because he was already bad, though ;)

Top Bottom