• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Jih is right. Pow admitted that HH got good because of lots of quality PKM training.

But Jih, we need a location that will appease everyone. Please understand that without sufficient participation, these bi-weeklies would go down under. A game store seeing only you guys would say "**** this" and shut it down, whereas a game store seeing tons of noobs would be like "Yayuhz!". I have to ask that you guys make an effort to come to these bi-weeklies. We haven't started them yet, so this is the time to set the right location with the right price.

Otherwise, why not just keep having smashfests in St. Therese with HH and PKM? Because no one lives there and goes there, since it's so god**** far. Laval too. O.o

Jih

Smash Journeyman
Jih is right. Pow admitted that HH got good because of lots of quality PKM training.

But Jih, we need a location that will appease everyone. Please understand that without sufficient participation, these bi-weeklies would go down under. A game store seeing only you guys would say "**** this" and shut it down, whereas a game store seeing tons of noobs would be like "Yayuhz!". I have to ask that you guys make an effort to come to these bi-weeklies. We haven't started them yet, so this is the time to set the right location with the right price.

Otherwise, why not just keep having smashfests in St. Therese with HH and PKM? Because no one lives there and goes there, since it's so god**** far. Laval too. O.o
i understand...
i dont want to do smashfest also... i know its too far... but like ken said : you have to move ur *** to get better
laval isnt that far.....
but oh well GL finding a good location btw

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Laval isn't that far for people who have cars, Jih. Like you guys. It's not as much of a detour for you to come to Montreal as it is for us to come to Laval. You tack on...15 minutes? We tack on...an extra hour? Or more? (It's at least an hour and a half extra for me to reach anywhere significant in Laval).

If you don't want to come Jih, that's your opinion. I'd prefer to hear from all of HH and PKM and gather their opinions as well. If you guys don't want to/can't come, shucks, that sucks. We'll still have this if the interest is high enough.

Also, finding a place might not be that bad. Ralph found tons of places in like 2 seconds. 1 was about 26 bucks an hour. (6 bucks total for ~20 entrants) Located in Montreal. Only 5 minute bus ride after Angrignon metro. He found this in 2 clicks. If we all combine our efforts to find the perfect place, it won't take too long to set up a great bi-weekly.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
I agree with Joel on this one. Make it happen in Montreal. Entry fee is fine also. I'd pay 10$ every 2 weeks to play smash in montreal with a bunch of peeps anytime.

Don't take me in account though, i'm 1 person. HHs are 4. That's only 5. Let's be democratic.

Jih

Smash Journeyman
I agree with my Joel on this one. Make it happen in Montreal. Entry fee is fine also. I'd pay 10$ every 2 weeks to play smash in montreal with a bunch of peeps anytime.

Don't take me in account though, i'm 1 person. HHs are 4. That's only 5. Let's be democratic.
true. and i also agree with joel... i never said i wouldnt come btw

and that GL i just throw wasnt a sarcasm... GJ if you found a place seriously thats good news

Damax

Smash Lord
Midway point is more like... Montreal-North. EVERYONE IN CHETS BASTMENT!!!1
Quoted for thruth.

actually it wasn't chet's basement. it was near nox which IMO might be kind of too east for some montrealers.. just a thought.

Also Location of the store is important. Like Highways proximities, metro/bus proximities should be taken in consideration if two place offer the same prices and advantages.

I love the way this is turning, its getting interesting so is it aiming for mini tourneys? or simple smashfests? Tell me more about the rooms you found Joel!

We should tell chet this is no more a spammy thread and we are actually trying to do something good.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Vwins linked me. I'm gonna post but I'm still not gonna subscribe to this thread again.

Random comment:
Smash always has been a competitive game, so you can't pull that "smash has become too competitive" crap.
For me, and for most of the smashers on smashboards, the competition is what makes us play this game, because of the intense rivalries and good challenges.

Of course, some people get way too serious about this game, but that's only a handful. When you get really angry because of smash this is when you have a problem, so let's not generalize (even though I know you already understand that). I almost quit smash after OC2, because (now that I think about it) I was missing the competition in the US. Not playing for a while made me comeback, and now that some people are actually ****** me, I feel like playing again. Let's not confuse competition with bad temper...
----

As for the bi-weeklie idea, I see it as a good idea, but there's nobody able to host them anymore. A public place is the only option, but it would have to be cheap. You can most definitely find a cheap gameplace somewhere. I've never been to L'Enjeu or places like that, but you guys need a place big enough with tables and ****. It would be better for the community to make this in Montreal. I know many smashers can't move by car. The transit is hard to use outside of Montreal, and it would be a hassle because of time restrictions, and location.

Post scriptum:
jih said:
the idea of the meeting point in laval is for us HH and pkm

you seems really confiden about getting better by playing new guys in Mtl ... gl to you
I found it funny that out of the HH and pkm, 3 people posted and said they were ok with a place in Montreal. I guess you were the only one to lazy to go down to MTL. Then I laughed a bit more because it seemed like you were saying that without playing you guys, the rest of the community was doomed to suck.

If someone wants to play me, pm me, I'm always willing to play with people, no matter their skill level.

chesterr01 out.

EDIT: I forgot; about the "doomed to suck" part, you said that you were honest when you said good luck, but for some reason I didn't buy it.

Damax

Smash Lord
I found it funny that out of the HH and pkm, 3 people posted and said they were ok with a place in Montreal. I guess you were the only one to lazy to go down to MTL. Then I laughed a bit more because it seemed like you were saying that without playing you guys, the rest of the community was doomed to suck.

If someone wants to play me, pm me, I'm always willing to play with people, no matter their skill level.

chesterr01 out.

EDIT: I forgot; about the "doomed to suck" part, you said that you were honest when you said good luck, but for some reason I didn't buy it.
whats better than playing multiple good players?
actually I'd hate it to be downtown and will most likely make me back up from going more than twice specially since winter's coming, Unless I get a bunch of money somehow and get new tires but still montreal driving is PAINFUL, Let's say I drive 15 minutes on highway, 10 minutes in hell dangerous montreal driving, I get at the place and find out elef's playing comps waiting for someone.... I won't jump around too much.

Since it has to be in montreal, let's at least try to make it outsider friendly too? Else I'll really miss you guys :cry: emo/cutwrist

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Aight, got my first lead here.
Talked my friend and he says he'll contact a place right next to Atwater subway station.
They already have a TV and host some LAN parties for a laughable price. He'll see if he's interested in hosting our console bi-weeklies and possibly provide an extra TV.

I'll keep you guys posted.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Whoa guys don't give me credit for finding places yet, I haven't started any serious searching. RaIph is the one who's been checking places out. I suggest everyone else here do the same. Google up, check your local gamestores, get on the phone, whatever, and let's share feedback in this thread. List the place you found, and all the pros/cons of the place (like the things Damax said about location, costs, TV availability, management (are they competent? Might not matter much though...), food layouts, time alloted, etc.). Let's make this as successful as we can.

EDIT: Nice job Agora! I'd also like to point out that I have a garbage TV I don't want anymore, and I would gladly give it to a place that would be willing to host Bi-weeklies. Any of you guys have similar offers? Think outside the box XD

Damax

Smash Lord
Whoa guys don't give me credit for finding places yet, I haven't started any serious searching. RaIph is the one who's been checking places out. I suggest everyone else here do the same. Google up, check your local gamestores, get on the phone, whatever, and let's share feedback in this thread. List the place you found, and all the pros/cons of the place (like the things Damax said about location, costs, TV availability, management (are they competent? Might not matter much though...), food layouts, time alloted, etc.). Let's make this as successful as we can.

EDIT: Nice job Agora! I'd also like to point out that I have a garbage TV I don't want anymore, and I would gladly give it to a place that would be willing to host Bi-weeklies. Any of you guys have similar offers? Think outside the box XD
if its a game store I'd promise to buy my next controller from them and forget the wal mart glitch

cF=)

Smash Lord
Pour ceux qui on pas suivi la progression du thread jusqu'a maintenant, voici un résumé :

- Les Bi-weeklies a John Abbott sont impossibles, ce qui nous amene à chercher un autre endroit pour les faires.
- Maintenant, on essaie de s'arranger pour que les rencontres soit faites le plus possible au milieu de Montreal, facilitant l'accès au personne n'ayant pas d'auto. Par contre, on doit aussi considerer que les membres des HH & PKM & autres doivent venir en char, ce qui cause un probleme.
- De plus, faut que l'endroit en question où l'on veux s'installer demande une modique somme d'argent, est plusieurs télévision disponible, soit ouverte assez longtemps pour faire plusieurs parties et peut-etre un mini tournoi, etc.

Faque en gros, on se met le nez dans nos bottin de téléphone pis on cherche.

J'ai juste une petite question a poser par contre, est-ce que les biweeklies auront lieu la semaine ou la fin de semaine ? J'doit dire que sa serais horrible de quitter le West Island à 6h apres mes cours pour faire 1h de transport en commun et m'en aller comme 1h apres pour pogné le dernier train =/

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Moi personellement je prefere la semaine parce que je travaille moins, (et pis en hiver je vais rester avec mon pere des fins de semaines), et les semaines sont aussi plus bon pour Jarc. Mais c'est une question de majorite. Qui est d'accord avec les semaines, est qui est contre?

cF=)

Smash Lord
All week + Sunday = train leaves Lucien-L'Allier around 21h00.
Saturday = last train is at 23h00.

Let's say I'm at the train station after school. I go to Montreal with the 17h12 train. I drop at Vendome it's now 17h38. So without any metro/bus ride, I only got about 4 hours to reach the venue. Don't you think it's pretty short for a smash meeting ?

Well, I'm speaking for myself. If you guys have a better schedule with school, host it whenever you want. I guess the problem is more those stupid train giving rides during random hours >__>

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok Fleur de Lis gave me a good reason to subscribe here.

I spoke to him about a big tournament (HH will understand), and he told me something.

chet ¦ "yé pas bon, y fait rien... hein wooyaeogjaepjg" dit :
there is much thinking going on in Quebec
Fleur de Lis dit :
about what?
.chet ¦ "yé pas bon, y fait rien... hein wooyaeogjaepjg" dit :
we are waiting for the MLG 2007 schedule to come out, and we're gonna try to do something big. like really big
like major tournament
WC canada is coming, and we're gonna invite DA, TA, jv3x3, and try to get as many people as possible
one guy has connexions in an hotel, so we might get a whole hotel, 30 TVs, pool and everything
Fleur de Lis dit :
you guys should try to get MLG to have a tourney in Montreal and/or Toronto
So yeah umm, we should consider something like that perhaps? ¬_¬

Card

Smash Lord
Notes from me who hasnt been around for a long whiles;

1. Bi-Weeklies would rock
  2. Jarc I love you
  3. Try to make them in Montreal, that is easily accessible by Metro/Bus or Just Metro
  4. No Parking is the most ridiculous excuse for a venue location >_> Just park a little further and walk a couple of minutes, There is parking everywhere
  5. STYD Church was pretty expensive (225$), and theres chances that the room is reserved for other people so we might not get it when we want
  6. Weekend is probably best for everyone, Sunday perhaps?
  7. How does Chu-Dat host his Bi-weeklies? we could always use that for reference.

Dun Dun Dunnnn...

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada
Agora's Atwater place seems actually pretty conveniant. For me, week days would be better, but it's not like I'm forcing you guys to change it just for me, I'll probably be able to make it Satudays / Sundays as ling as you don't start it at like noon. MLG in Canada would be so amazing, figuring there's alot of good smashers in East Coast (Not trying to be mean to WC smashers).

Chet, beeing the great touney hoster / smash knowlege person / good talker, it would be great if you can type up a message and send it to MLG to see if you could get something going.

For the bi-weeklies, it would be good if you could get more info on the Atwater place (Agora). I also found a place near the Snowdon metro. But I dunno if it's easily accessible to Ste-Therese people. IMO anywhere in the upper orange line / blue line is pretty much mid-point. I suggest prioritizing places in those areas.

Damax

Smash Lord
If you guys can get postal codes of places that'd help me know which place your talking about, there's so many district in montreal I tend to mix or misplace them.

Chet: that's awesome beside MLG's main argument for being USA wise is the massive population and the massive number of smashers, Except T.O. There's no way MLG will get 'round here.

Week is better IMO. if you still don't work during week ends it is only a matter of time or you left school and have obviously not much to do.

Vwins

Smash Ace
Ok Fleur de Lis gave me a good reason to subscribe here.

I spoke to him about a big tournament (HH will understand), and he told me something.

So yeah umm, we should consider something like that perhaps? ¬_¬
Wow je crois que ça serait vraiment dur d'avoir un MLG au canada, mais on a rien sans travailler. Il faudrait surement toute organiser d'avance et donner sur la table une proposition aux organisateurs de MLG donc à moins que les personnes de Toronto soient assez motivées pour le faire, ce que je doute, je vois pas d'autre endroit que Montréal. Chet, tu devrais poser des questions aux américains comme jv3x3 qui font partis de l'organisation des MLG. Si ils n'ont aucun intérêt de faire un tournoi à l'extérieur des États-Unis, on va toujours pouvoir organiser notre propre tournoi.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Aight, the guy at the Game Store looks interested.
I got his e-mail since he wants more details.
This is looking good, peeps!
More details as I send him a mail.
If there's any more details you'd want me to include in the mail that haven't been mentionned yet, post 'em!

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
i will make points on some of my thoughts cos i cant make long paragraphs.

-this idea is really getting interesting.

-i would donate a tv as long as i get it back at the end of this whole thing.

-damax sucks

-i like this idea alot

-Mlg montreal would be cool

- i like downtown

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Aight, the guy at the Game Store looks interested.
I got his e-mail since he wants more details.
This is looking good, peeps!
More details as I send him a mail.
If there's any more details you'd want me to include in the mail that haven't been mentionned yet, post 'em!
is it possible i know which game styore you're talking about?

RaIph

Smash Apprentice
Aight, got my first lead here.
Talked my friend and he says he'll contact a place right next to Atwater subway station.
They already have a TV and host some LAN parties for a laughable price. He'll see if he's interested in hosting our console bi-weeklies and possibly provide an extra TV.

I'll keep you guys posted.
nice ѕhit ag, ur place sounds heavenly

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Well, the site looks O.O, looks like he's got a good website designer going for him. This is very good news, since we can also see if they would be able to put brackets, results, archives, and maybe even videos on their web site.

LOL I checked their calender, they have Brood War tournies XD is this where you go Jarc?

Just noticed this as well in calender:

Weekly Events
* Mondays: Magic House League 18h00 - 22h00
- Blood Bowl League 19h00 - 22h00
* Tuesdays: Battlefield 2 - Special Forces Ladder 19h00 - 23h00
* Wednesdays: Counterstrike Ladder 19h00 - 23h00
* Thursdays: WARMACHINE and HORDES League / Campaign Night 18h30 - 22h30
* Fridays: HeroClix Tournament Night 18h00 - 21h00
* Saturdays: Rotating Events - Afternoon
- Warhammer 40k League 14h00 - 18h00
- Dungeons and Dragons Meetup every 2nd Saturday

* Sundays: Warhammer Fantasy League 12h00 - 20h00
So how big is this place? There seems to be a lot of stuff that goes on there, would they be able to handle us? Let him know he can expect upwards of 20 people or more at these things.

Directions:
Public Transport: Accross the street from Snowdon Metro
Car: Take Queen Mary - two blocks east from Decarie.
Well I like that ^^

Store Hours
* Monday : 10:00am - 8:00pm
* Tuesday : 10:00am - 8:00pm
* Wednesday : 10:00am - 11:00pm
Thursday : 10:00am - 11:00pm
Friday : 10:00am - 11:00pm
Saturday : 10:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday : 12:00am - 8:00pm
12 AM on Sunday, does that mean the place opens at midnight? O.O Probably a typo, should be 12 PM.

I checked the LAN specs, they have Xbox games, so chances are they have TV's as well. How many is my question. However, I fished around a bit more

XBox Stations: 3
XBox 360 Stations: 4
7 TV's at least. Woo!

Found some pics as well

I just grabbed pics that I found most relevent. The first 1 is TV's. Second is the shop itself (looks quite successful/busy). Third is some kids playing MTG, but I grabbed that to show that there is indeed extra space to set up (I assume) =). If you want more pics and where I got some of this info: http://www.igames.org/CenterMinisiteHome.asp?LocationID=5053

The place looks tight, Agora, nice find. In your mail, ask for these key things: Is there parking? Are there many restaurants around, or can food be provided? How much will the store charge us for these events (rent, food (if provided), entry fee in general)? What time slots could be alloted to us for these events? How many TV's do they have? Do the TV's require RF adapters, and if so, do they supply them? How much space do they have (I.E. will it get too crowded?)? Will they offer prizes to winners (no concern there, we personally don't need an incentive, but maybe other customers do). There may be more but I can't remember off the top of my head. Anyone else?

Also, let him know this: We are willing to bring our own Gamecube systems. We PREFER to use our own controllers, so we shall bring our own. He can expect upwards of 20 people each biweekly, by upwards I mean 16 should be practically a minimum if the general community here participates in this. Considering we are bound to get extra noobs, ESPECIALLY if we spread the word, we could hit really big numbers here (like 40-ish). Let him know we have a big and extremely reliable community. Give him some links to past successful tournaments (if you need some ask one of the "veterans" here, by veterans I mean people who have gone to them often). Give him a link to a Canadian ruleset (normally MLG ruleset with slight modifications, you can copy/paste it from SFF or something so they have an english AND french translation). Most importantly, give him a link to Smashboards and especially the Montreal thread to give him an idea about how serious we are about smash, and how big and diverse the community truly is.

My 2 cents.

EDIT: BTW Chu Dat does Bi-weeklies at his house if you didn't know, so I don't think it was THAT hard to set up. =P

cF=)

Smash Lord
Nice post Joel, I don't have anything to had I guess, except about the price.

AGORA >> On their website, it states 3,00$/h for using their consoles, but it seems they only have Xbox. So what would be the fee to only use their TVs and bring our equipement ? You should ask about this also, because imagine having to pay 18$ + lunch + parking/transport simply to have friendlies and training.

EDIT: In fact, it seems they carry some Gamecubes, but I wonder how much they have.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I'll do:
I'll wait 24h before sending the mail.
I'm gonna write up a template in the meantime with all the stuff you guys can agree on to ask, send it tomorrow and copy paste it here for you guys to see.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Yes, but also see if we can save money by bringing our own cubes and controllers instead of having them provided for us. Cubes are super easy to bring.

Also, 3 bucks an hour for a TV is reasonable. 4 per TV (or 3), less than a buck an hour for us. 10 bucks would have us half the day.

cF=)

Smash Lord
^ I dumb can I be, I was thinking about renting the whole thing by myself and hasn't thought we would share the cost >__>

The last thing we need to think about is which day of the week this thing'll happen. I saw many voting for week, but holding a poll among a minimum of 16 and more smasher would be awesome. I'll bend myself to the result.

Damax

Smash Lord
I doubt it is a good idea to link to here since some **** really got us into spamming except for the last three page, as for now we don't look soo serious.

just looked at where the stor is and even though its deep in montreal its still near a highway so I feel better, but I doubt about a close exit.

a well there's a exit straight for it. Perfect with me. I can't tell if I'll be able to attend all of em, or if they will be ok with my schedule. weekends are impossible though specially with the shop's weekends schedule

Hero of Nobody

Smash Cadet
Hotels are expensive for no reason and there's no place if we're crowded.

I remember having a smashfest a nox's school. Can we set that as smashdome once each month?

I would go for smashing at someone's house. Instead of having an entry fee for affording a place, we could all gather money for food and drinks.

Top Bottom