• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Do you think Capcom will stop caring about MHTRI for this? I can't see that though, running a console Wii MH game with the newest PSP installment would be epic for them. Also I guess I can't see everyone leaving mhtri when it is console, which differs it slightly.

I hope not, because as much as I love mhtri, I won't play the psp ones simply because I </3 psp. (I had one forever, I can say that)
Too bad you feel that way. Maybe if you had played MHFU you would see the potential and at least try, but it is just a game after all.

Gah777; said:
Meh, I probably won't get that since I don't want to buy a system just to play one game. Besides, the control scheme and feel will be different (CCpro has mor buttons :3).
I remember buying my Xbox for Halo, my XBOX 360 for Borderlands, my Gamecube for SSBM, my Wii for SSBB, my N64 for SSB, my Gameboy for Pokemon, and my PSP for MHFU (PSX & PS2 were gifts). It was all pretty much worth it. If you know you are going to get the maximum enjoyment out of a game, then maybe that's a reason to own it in the first place...maybe, at least for me. I don't think I ever bought any console or handheld arbitrarily and then just waited for a good game. My impetus was a good game that would bring me lots of satisfaction, which they did, and do.

As for the controls, it actually won't be dramatically different at all. The layout of the classic controller, pro or not, is almost identical to the PSP. The ZR/ZL buttons wont even be a factor, since there is no underwater combat in MHP3 anyways.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I plan to get a DS just for Golden Sun 3.

Gah, do you know how long the original Monster Hunter's servers stayed up?

Gah777

Smash Lord
I plan to get a DS just for Golden Sun 3.

Gah, do you know how long the original Monster Hunter's servers stayed up?
I don't know the exact date, but I remember reading in a thread somewhere that the servers were "recently" (the post was from 2008) shut down. So they stayed up for quite some time, I guess.

I'm just not really sure how much longer the Tri severs will last with them realeasing two games so close to each other (especially when one obviously has more content than the other).

Also, I might think about getting a PSP just for this game. I bought a Wii just for Brawl and MH3, so... But right now i have other priorities.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I don't know the exact date, but I remember reading in a thread somewhere that the servers were "recently" (the post was from 2008) shut down. So they stayed up for quite some time, I guess.

I'm just not really sure how much longer the Tri severs will last with them realeasing two games so close to each other (especially when one obviously has more content than the other).

Also, I might think about getting a PSP just for this game. I bought a Wii just for Brawl and MH3, so... But right now i have other priorities.
I'd think they'd want to keep the only Nintendo MH server open ,as well as Sony.

Gah777

Smash Lord
It'd be nice if Capcon had just decided to release the updates as DLC or something instead of making a whole new game

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
That's like saying it would be nice if the Wii had a significantly bigger hard drive and the MH3 disk had all the weapons on it.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Man, I miss my Dual Swords to death. I was disappointed when they removed them from MH Tri. I still had loads of fun with other weapons, but I love my Dual Swords ;__;
Looking forward to this new game however. Even if it is on PSP >__>

Lobos

Smash Master
Monster Hunter's Online servers outside Japan were closed down on December 31, 2007.

"After more than 3 years of online service, the external company providing server hosting for both Resident Evil: Outbreak and Monster Hunter has decided to exit the PlayStation 2 online business altogether, with no possibility of outsourcing either the service or the technology."

MHtri and MH1 took over 1000+ hours from my life lol

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
You know, a monster hunter on ps3 would be epic O.o
Man, I was so disappointed when they announced Tri wouldn't be on the PS3 like it was originally supposed to and would instead be a Wii exclusive .__.
Monster Hunter on PS3 would be sick.

tko112

Smash Lord
Yea, there was the Super Alatreon. There's supposed to be a giant Gobul and Deviljho at some point too, and I think a several new arenas had come out in your absence. Deviljho and Diablos coins.
actually Megatreon came before the Shades, and im not really into arenas that much, so for now, ill just wait for the event with Los, Agna, and Leno at the same time

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
actually Megatreon came before the Shades, and im not really into arenas that much, so for now, ill just wait for the event with Los, Agna, and Leno at the same time
You could be waiting quite awhile lol...it would come after the giant gobul whichever way, and no one even knows if there will be a giant gobul, more or less when.

Also, Flooded Forest FFA started on the 6th of September, Where Gods Fear to Tread started on the 19th.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Man, I was so disappointed when they announced Tri wouldn't be on the PS3 like it was originally supposed to and would instead be a Wii exclusive .__.
Monster Hunter on PS3 would be sick.
I think Tri on Wii was a Good idea, but then they needed to make another one on ps3. Have Two console servers running...such a good idea. Not a psp one =/

You guys got tips for Diabolos?

quirkynature

Smash Ace
^ Personally, I hate the Diablos as much as the Barioth.

I'll start by listing the attacks it uses most: charge, hip check, tail whip, Diablos' tail whip, Diablos-used-dig!, uppercut. Bite's a joke.

Charge should be easy to see coming because it'll spam this like crazy. Dodge off to the side or whatever because it can't change direction midway. After the charge ends, though, watch out for that waving tail. It's still an active hitbox.

Hipcheck always gave me a problem because I barely, and rarely, had time to either block or skip away. Barioth+ is honestly your best bet for going up against Diablos because the evasion ups you get really help. Given that the Diablos has wide, sweeping attacks, you can either easily roll through those or right under it's body. Or you could guard. Or get hit. Your call.

Diablos does the standard tail whip (whirl around) and then it has it's own version of tail whip. You can either wait it out or roll in between it's legs. Legs are a safe spot for almost any monster that uses tailwhip, so that's a plus.

Uppercut, again, dodge it. Be careful, though, because that tail is an active hitbox. I know I've evaded the horns and gotten slapped by the tail. It's hax.

As for Diablos-used-dig!, just keep running. it'll home in onto you, and it can change it's path midway. Toss a sonic grenade just as it disappears underground to trap it. Hack away.

Keep in mind: once Blos' horns are broken, it takes longer to dig. Even so, make the tail your first priority. Once the tail is out, a lot of Blos' attacks lose their followup edge. Then, focus on the horns. Best way I like to lick it with my friends: keep bashing it and once it's fatigued, sonic as it tries to dig, pitfall trap it, have a hammer user KO it, add shock trap before it can dig away again and that's a ton of damage done.

Timing's hard to get down, though. Diablos is more of a hit-and-run kind of guy, so act accordingly. Oh, and it's always a good idea to bring dung bombs. Just saying.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I can't seem to remember any numbers, but in the desert area where there are cacti, Diablos will get stuck in that big rock formation if it charges into it (assuming you haven't broken his horns). Same thing with those two smaller formations in.... that smaller deset area except those will fall.

unless you're a gunner, I can't help much. Just wait for when you know its focus is on one of your teammates and exploit.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Personally, I hate the Diablos as much as the Barioth.

I'll start by listing the attacks it uses most: charge, hip check, tail whip, Diablos' tail whip, Diablos-used-dig!, uppercut. Bite's a joke.

Charge should be easy to see coming because it'll spam this like crazy. Dodge off to the side or whatever because it can't change direction midway. After the charge ends, though, watch out for that waving tail. It's still an active hitbox.

Hipcheck always gave me a problem because I barely, and rarely, had time to either block or skip away. Barioth+ is honestly your best bet for going up against Diablos because the evasion ups you get really help. Given that the Diablos has wide, sweeping attacks, you can either easily roll through those or right under it's body. Or you could guard. Or get hit. Your call.

Diablos does the standard tail whip (whirl around) and then it has it's own version of tail whip. You can either wait it out or roll in between it's legs. Legs are a safe spot for almost any monster that uses tailwhip, so that's a plus.

Uppercut, again, dodge it. Be careful, though, because that tail is an active hitbox. I know I've evaded the horns and gotten slapped by the tail. It's hax.

As for Diablos-used-dig!, just keep running. it'll home in onto you, and it can change it's path midway. Toss a sonic grenade just as it disappears underground to trap it. Hack away.

Keep in mind: once Blos' horns are broken, it takes longer to dig. Even so, make the tail your first priority. Once the tail is out, a lot of Blos' attacks lose their followup edge. Then, focus on the horns. Best way I like to lick it with my friends: keep bashing it and once it's fatigued, sonic as it tries to dig, pitfall trap it, have a hammer user KO it, add shock trap before it can dig away again and that's a ton of damage done.

Timing's hard to get down, though. Diablos is more of a hit-and-run kind of guy, so act accordingly. Oh, and it's always a good idea to bring dung bombs. Just saying.

Okay, so get this. I went 0/4 on ANY Diabolos Fangs. I kept getting ridges and crap, but no Fangs!? So I had to master the art of slaying Diabolos.

10 Sonic Bombs + 1 Pitfall Trap + Thunderclap = easy. Is it cheap? Yes. Did it work? In 18 minutes, 3 times in a row.

So I got Crit Draw on GS Set, and Thundddaaaclap+

All I've got left offline is Rathalos, Bariaoth(sp), and whatever's after that. HR is 4, and I'm getting a 2nd copy so me and my girlfriend can play online together. Would love friends :]

(I main LS with SA and GS on the side, she does SA with LS on the side)

Off of all this, I'm running these three sets:

LongSword!

Full Lagi, Thunderclap+, crap Assessory with 1 slot (need better one). Lagi is lv6 all the way, and I have Speed Sharpner and Health+20 Gemed (Can't get anything better gemmed yet besides health)

So I have

Razor Sharp(Blue Sharpness!), Speed Sharp, Oly. Swimmer, Elem. Dmg up, Health+20, and whatever else the set gives.

Switchaxe

Aiming to farm full Rathalos, with a Crit. Eye assessory added will have Att up Med, Crit+2, and Speed Sharpener. Currently have Bolt Axe.

Great Sword

Wearing Full lagi (Speed Sharp) and Diablos hands w/ assessory for CE at the moment, but aiming for:

Full Punishing Draw set bar-hands, D hands, whatever lagi sword, and then Punishing draw gemmed in if needed.

I don't know what PD does, but I've heard the both together own.

Anyways, any tips or feedback would be nice^^

Edit: I did kill Blos a couple times without item whoring, so I'm not an ubernoob.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Tips for Diablos? Well, to be honest, i find him easy to ruin. Wait for him to dig, then sonic bomb him. Obviously that means dont piss it off and enrage it. From there, when he rises out, flashbomb him so he crashes. Pitfall him...repeat. If everyone in your party has a pitfall, or everyone carries three like I sometimes do, and can use flashbombs on a stationary target...you can just do that right up to the point where he either dies or he's so weak he can do nothing but dig slowly, in which the sonic bombs will do him in, or shock traps, etc. I do this with a party of 4 GS's, Lances, or maybe with hammers and SnS's and Bowguns so we get even more time to damage him status or stun-wise. To be honest, it doest matter what weapon everyone uses, as long as you dont hit each other. With this strategy, you shouldn't have a hard time breaking both horns and cutting the tail.

You could wait for him to stick his horns in a wall, you could run around waiting for him to stop making you panic dive 3 times, you could shield until you can get in a few hits...or you can just use his hearing/wings/digging to his disadvantage and ruin him. He'll keel over in like 3-5 minutes when it's done correctly.

-

Also, Giant Gobul was low rank. I was disappointed...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I was playing offline, but yeah Blos is weak. I figured it out. Honestly, Lagi was actually kinda tough imo. Not the fight, but capturing him in FF sucked.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Yea, it's still up. Also, try not to let it get in the water lol. The Gobul is basically your entire swimming area, and when it does that revolving attack, it goes everywhere.

Still low rank though...

Gah777

Smash Lord
Yea, it's still up. Also, try not to let it get in the water lol. The Gobul is basically your entire swimming area, and when it does that revolving attack, it goes everywhere.

Still low rank though...
*Imagines Giant Gobul underwater in the Flooded Forrest* 0.0

You know what would be awesome? High Rank Giant Lagi in the Flooded Forrest.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
*Imagines Giant Gobul underwater in the Flooded Forrest* 0.0

You know what would be awesome? High Rank Giant Lagi in the Flooded Forrest.
Oh god haha

A decent SnS would save me for the most part but still xD

Gah777

Smash Lord
Even better: High rank Giant Barioth. Or maybe even Tiny Barioth :3

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Hey, give me a time and me/you/my girlfriend can play if we're not working. We're HR9 or 10 lol

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I won't be on until later next week. WE'll work it out. Love your avatar, btw

Gah777

Smash Lord
Yeah, I hate SnS underwater. I use a lance or a hammer underwater (usually lance though). Lance because it's the best underwater weapon IMO and hammer because you get better/easier shots at the monsters head. Every other weapon gets nerfed/"adjusted" in water to some degree (except for the Lance and possibly the SA).

SnS- Loses comboability and mobility.
Hammer- Superpound has a wider range (I think).
Longsword- Loses a sword stroke in the regular combo
Bowgun- Not sure what else, but I know that the "sub" ammo is more effective.
Great Sword- Attacks have more lag.

All the dodges/rolls are slower (at least they feel more sluggish and seem to have more end lag) for every weapon underwater except for the Lance's side/back steps and the SA's sidesteps (I believe).

IMO here's a list on how I feel the weps perform underwater:

Best:
- Lance
- Switch Axe

Neutral
- Bowgun
- Longsword
- Hammer

Poor:
- SnS
- Greatsword

Thoughts?

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Yeah, the axe doesn't really change underwater. The sword-mode just has slightly more momentum, so each swing takes you a bit further than it would on land. Nothing too zomgwtfpwnhaxx0r!1! but it's still enough to make using sword mode an annoyance.

And, yeah, the SnS is really nerfed underwater. To the point that they're almost useless, even though each swing (when taken by itself) is slightly faster than it would be on land. It doesn't matter, though, because you can't chain attacks at all. What a pain.

The giant gobul was a major disappointment. Anybody have any idea when Giant 'Jho comes out? I really hope before next year. I'm starting to lose interest in this game...haven't touched it in about 2 weeks now.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I must say, you are one of the only people I know who would like to use an SnS underwater.
haha I feel comfortable with SnS anywhere! I love that weapon. But yeah it does get nerfed underwater for sure.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't complain too much about the SnS IF my 10-hit combo wasnt reduced to 6 just bc I got soaked...

GS I wouldn't complain too much about. Water actually gives my swings more range, but when I go to roll after a swing...oh yea, dodging doesnt even work in water...

I wouldn't complain about bowguns in the water if my range wasn't cut in half so I have to be twice as close to the monster, then evade...in water.

Yep.

---

Anywho, the Giant Joe event will apparently be coming out on the 6th of December.

Also...:mad:Red Hot Party! Hunt a Rathalos, Agnaktor, and an Uragaan in the Volcano. It's up today. Don't know how long it'll last. I can tell you I'll be on this evening, and I'm going paralysis lol.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm not near as good as you guys, but i actually liked capturing Lagi with GS. (I know that quest isn't hard to you guys, but I struggled) I just relied more on blocking. I also think Swtch Axe can preform quite well in the water too.

As for Long Sword, eh... I'll pass. (Those are my 3 weps :3 )

On a side note, about to fight Rathalos!

Gah777

Smash Lord
Yeah, first time I fought the Lagi I used a GS too. I relied heavily on blocking, something that isn't so great with the GS.

I don't like LS underwater, I always feel too vulnerable.

You know what weapon ***** the Rath's? GS. Especially when you play hit 'n run with it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Blocking with a great sword is a bad idea, but in the Flooded Forest..it was a godsend ><. Capturing Lagi is dumb. Trying to farm Rathalos..any tips? I'm actually having probs with him, but I was using GS. Thinking SA might be a good weapon, or LS.

Top Bottom