• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monday Update: Excitement A(earth)bound!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
People need to stop jumping the gun with their crappy assumptions. Also, when we finally get a new character, an update that people always complain about not getting, they still complain. >_>

Cool update though.

D

Deleted member

Ness'll be back.

Or at least I hope he is. Maybe this hints he is an unlockable?

EDIT: Lucas and Isaac tag team ftw.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
*Sheds a tear for Ness*
My main baseball cap wearin man is gone. My second favorite character to play after the Ice Climbers. I was positive that IF Ness was in, he would be a starter, and Lucas would be unlockable.

You will be missed friend.
You will be sorely missed.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
This kid had better not be replacing Ness entirely. He doesn't look nearly as cool. >_<

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I was surprised, excited, and worried at the same time.

I wasn't expecting a Japanese exclusive character so soon.

I'm excited that Lucas, from Mother 3, is now playable (may promote international release of Mother 3)!

But I'm worried that Ness might not return...

But the update DID mention Ness, so perhaps we haven't seen the last of him!

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
die in a fire. WE FRIGGIN NEEED NESS BACK!!! does two time veteran mean anything to you?
Tell me that Ness is on the same level as Mario, Pikachu, Kirby and Link. If Ness is important as those I just listed then you have no worries about him not being included in Brawl.

So what if in two SBB's games. MOTHER 3 Is the now, not MOTHER2/Earthbound should people in Japan have to give up on their favorite character (Lucas) Just because those outside of Japan are so Ness crazy? MOTHER is a small series as a whole when compared to the other heavy hitters in SSB and I don't think it could warrant more than 2 Characters. So why not try and rep the most recent and most popular one in the series? ( Of course by adding Ninten as a playable character you give respect the the kid that started the whole MOTHER franchise. )

With Lucas in it makes me wonder? Why would Sakurai work on forcing a moveset out of a clone character(Ness, by nature of the MOTHER games, Ninten/Ness/Lucas are are clones of each other) when he actually could be spending his valuable time on creating a unique moveset for perhaps The Masked-Man?

With the hype that Brawl will give MOTHER 3 (Lucas) I wouldn't be at all surprised if MOTHER 3 did get released outside of Japan.

Well the only way to know for sure if Ness is in or not is to play Brawl, but honestly I think Ness isn't returning ( of course if he is in I guess that would be a nice surprise for all you Ness fans ^_^ )

-Knight

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
The update is cool.

now this makes the roster uneven (don't count zamus or solid snake) so I'm hoping if he's a starter than the last starter Capt. Falcon will be making his entry next.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Ness won't be replaced IMO.

Sakurai said not everyone will return, that was for Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young Link.

Why he would take Ness out? He was in the original smash bros, then in melee, there's no reason why he can't accompany Lucas.

And with Ice Climbers in... God think it twice!! (I'm not a Ness player, and I've NEVER played a Mother/Earthbound game, just making sense)

D

Deleted member

Gah, I don't like newcomer updates except for my favourites.

They give new info, but nothing really interesting. After the inital rush we're left with the same questions as to how they will play.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Mrirvin: Guys please stop saying what you think!!!!!!!!
Worst comment ever~!

Guyz! PLZ stp teh posting in forums all 2gether\!!!!!! kno mor opini0nz plz! St0P T3H WRIT1NG!!!

Seriously, in a forum discussing a game not even released, I think it's safe to say speculating the absence of a character is OK to do. I mean, I would love for Ness to come back. (I just so happen to think this means he's going to be a costume or nothing at all) But that doesn't mean I care if people say otherwise. I mean, I had to endure countless people saying Ice Climbers (my main) were gone for good.

It just made IC's return that much more bittersweet.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
Hooray for new character Lucas and more Earthbound rep. Nice to see him in and the inclusion makes sesne since Sakurai had originally tried to have him in Melee first.

Personally I would like Ness to be back as well but it's too early to be claiming he's out just based off of four screenshots of the new guy. We'lll proabily get a better idea once we're shown what Lucas's special moves are.

andysfile

Smash Cadet
Boo Lucas, of course he is not better than Ness! :p I thought there was an effort being made to not introduce anymore Japan-only characters so if Lucas replaces Ness who has been in the entire series then I will not be a happy bunny. Although in a way it increases my confidence in Ness being in Brawl. Sakurai asks if he can surpass Ness - well it might be a challenge waiting to happen in game. Or if Lucas is in, Ness might have a partner since he has been in the series all along as I said above.

NukeA6

Smash Master
For those who thought there would not be Japan-only characters in Brawl, I hope this update made you feel dumb.

I really doubt Ness is gonna return. Lucas not only looks like Ness but he also has a similar personality. He uses bats and yoyos and can even use all of Ness's PSI (though PSI ROckin' has been renamed to PK Love). One of the screenshots looks like Lucas throwing a PK Fire.

Let's wait till his moves appear in an update. If PK Fire, Thunder, Magnet, and/or Flash appear, Ness is gone for good. But people are gonna say, "Sakurai wasted an original character!" How would he waste an original character when he gave all of his/her moves to someone else? Ness is not even the main character of the entire Mother series. He only was in Earthbound aka Mother 2. Should Ninten be added to Brawl as well?

EDIT: That was no PK Fire. It's just the sun in the Eldin Bridge :o

xxLinkGodxx

Smash Cadet
Mic got it all wrong. The first pic was him getting hit from his own PK thunder. The second was him using downB the last 2 were probably both his taunts since there is 4 taunts in the game now.

Mr fN LeON

Smash Cadet
NoOOOO NeSS come back

If ness isn't in the **** game I am gonna look 4 sakurai nd just knee him the face lol

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
For those who thought there would not be Japan-only characters in Brawl, I hope this update made you feel dumb.

I really doubt Ness is gonna return. Lucas not only looks like Ness but he also has a similar personality. He uses bats and yoyos and can even use all of Ness's PSI (though PSI ROckin' has been renamed to PK Love). One of the screenshots looks like Lucas throwing a PK Fire.

Let's wait till his moves appear in an update. If PK Fire, Thunder, Magnet, and/or Flash appear, Ness is gone for good. But people are gonna say, "Sakurai wasted an original character!" How would he waste an original character when he gave all of his/her moves to someone else? Ness is not even the main character of the entire Mother series. He only was in Earthbound aka Mother 2. Should Ninten be added to Brawl as well?

EDIT: That was no PK Fire. It's just the sun in the Eldin Bridge :o
Lucas doesn't use bat or yo-yos in Mother 3 and from one of the screenshot, it looks it has an attack that Ness doesn't. It may be the new b down version.

Anyway, Ness and Claus aren't similar.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Lucas doesn't use bat or yo-yos in Mother 3 and from one of the screenshot, it looks it has an attack that Ness doesn't. It may be the new b down version.

Anyway, Ness and Claus aren't similar.
The Fake Bat and Genuine Bat are bats that Lucas can use. Friend's Yoyo and Handy Yoyo are weapons that all characters (including Lucas and minus Duster) can use. I know what I'm talking about.

BTW, I never mentioned Claus in my post.

Rocky

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
ROCK#450
Why'd they remove Ness?! Ness staying in would've been way better...

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Lol!

I think this guy will be quite different - but does he have a baseball bat like Ness? Otherwise, kiss goodbye to those home runs, baby :)
In the games, his main weapon of choice is the 2x4, but he's just as capable as wielding yoyos and bats like Ness was.

PKnight

Smash Cadet
To all those people who don't seem to like Lucas...

Just look at his hair. I mean come on.
How many people can pull that off (Aside from Johnny Bravo)?
It's -almost- a flock of seagulls haircut, which is simply full of win in my book baby.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Ness is still included in the game. And Claus too. And Pokey.

I could keep going, but I digress.
I'm stoked about Lucas in the game, can't wait to see how he attacks!

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
The hairdo is awesome fo sho.

I really don't care if Lucas takes Ness's spot though I will miss him if he leaves. I hope well that he's an alternate costume because Ness does deserve a role as a character in some fashion.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Well, at least they kept the big head. DJCing upairs is gonna be even more fun with that awesome hair. Perhaps there will be a sweetspot at the tip? LOL ^_^

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Huh, Lucas is cool. I've never played a Earth Bound game. Ness was cool in Melee. I hope he comes back.. although I hate the bat and how Spammable it is. I hope Lucas doesn't have a bat.

I'm glad we got another new character.. but I need Captain Falcon. Seriously..
Mewtwo and Jigglypuff would be nice too. Then all my characters would be confirmed.
Lucario would be nice too....

"OH KAY!"

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Huh, Lucas is cool. I've never played a Earth Bound game. Ness was cool in Melee. I hope he comes back.. although I hate the bat and how Spammable it is. I hope Lucas doesn't have a bat.

I'm glad we got another new character.. but I need Captain Falcon. Seriously..
Mewtwo and Jigglypuff would be nice too. Then all my characters would be confirmed.
Lucario would be nice too....

"OH KAY!"
Yes Lucas may not have ht bat but like Youko said in smyn's. Ness could be a different character with a new move set and surround more around his bat and yo-yo then Lucas's psychic powers.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
No you don't. He could surpass the Ness from SSBM. God you people make crappy assumptions. ¬¬
Wrong. If Ness wasn't in Brawl then Sakurai wouldn't even be asking this question. It would have to be more rhetorical if he meant SSBM Ness because we all know the answer would be: "Yes, he can surpass Ness because everyone surpasses Ness... excluding Mewtwo."

EDIT:
P.S.- People need to stop saying Lucas is from Earthbound. Ness is from Earthbound and Lucas is from Mother3. Earthbound is a branch of the Mother series, not vice versa.

Go, Ness, go!
I'm still rooting for you buddy.
I know you'll make it back!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv​

Top Bottom