• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mole Maniacs: Muddy Mole for SSB4 DLC

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Put me down.
If you insist...I guess the time really has come, huh?

I'm gonna miss ya, old boy...

On a serious note, I'll add the new supporters to the OP. :troll:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Not really a bump, but still here's the moveset I've been working on for Muddy for a little while.
[collapse="Muddy Mole - A Special Moveset by AEM"]Muddy Mole is roughly Squirtle's height. Due to his small stature, Muddy can be knocked off stages fairly easy. He's a bit heavier than Mario though, considering his chubby appearance.
Being a mole, naturally the ground is Muddy's greatest ally and this translates into his moveset very well.
NEUTRAL SPECIAL: Iron Ball - Muddy pulls out a giant iron ball out of thin air. This Iron Ball is roughly Muddy's size, if not a bit bigger. The iron ball itself acts as a physical shield. Opponents can attack it all they want, but it will not break. If attacked, the ball move a very tiny distance. Constant damage moves (Falco's combo, Sheik's combo, etc.) makes it move very slowly if it's being hit constantly, but not fast enough for it do damage. The only characters that could really get it moving fast enough to do lots of damage would be the stronger fighters (Bowser, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Dedede, etc.). If someone does hit it hard enough and it hits Muddy, he'll take damage as well. However, Muddy can also attack the Iron Ball to cause it to move. It works very well with his Forward Smash (which is him fiercely kicking forward).
Muddy can also grab the ball with the Grab button / Shield+Attack button combination. This allows Muddy to push and pull the ball around. To let go of the Iron Ball, simply press the A button.
NEUTRAL SPECIAL (IN AIR): Iron Ball Drop - Muddy summons a ball out of nowhere again, but it instantly drops down onto the ground. Similar to Villager's Bowling Ball move, but is usable once it lands.
NEUTRAL SPECIAL (NEAR IRON BALL): Iron Ball Throw - Once close to a ball, if the neutral special button is pressed Muddy will grab onto the Iron Ball powerfully.
Now you can do four things:

• Toss it forward for some decent damage at an average range (I'd same a bit more than a battlefield platform?).

• Toss it backward for the same amount of damage with a little less range (about a battlefield platform?).
• Wait for Muddy's to firmly plant his feet and toughen up his stance and...

- Throw the ball forward for a whole lot more damage at around the distance of Battlefield itself.
- Throw the ball backward for the same amount of damage at a little bit less distance of Battlefield's main platform.
NEUTRAL SPECIAL (IRON BALL ALREADY SUMMONED): Whoops! - If Muddy presses the Neutral Special button away from the Iron Ball he attempts to grab the ball out of thin air but falls over, as the expected weight he was going to carry did not appear.
~ Notes ~
The Iron Ball is based entirely on the main objective of Mole Mania, getting the Iron Ball to white wall to move onward. The Iron Ball is vital to Muddy's stage control game. Moving it around is important to deal real damage to opponents. This is the move that will probably kill opponents the majority of the time.
Other Muddy Moles are able to grab Iron Balls not summoned by them, like how multiple Warios can use one Bike.
Occasionally Muddy will summon a large patch of Cabbage instead.

• Unlike the Iron Ball, this is not completely invulnerable and can only take roughly 50% damage until it explodes into pieces of the once large cabbage patch that are consumable to restore some health.
• Also unlike the Iron Ball, this thing is really light and can be flung around fairly easy by the majority of the cast.
SIDE SPECIAL: Pitfall Trap - Muddy sticks his claws into the ground in front of him and creates a pitfall. If an opponent walks on top of that area, they get trapped as if they were hit by a Pitfall. Muddy could a few of these lying around the stage. This spikes opponents on ledges.
~ Notes ~
Majorly based on Muddy's ability to dig pretty much anywhere at any time.
UP SPECIAL: Mole Drill - Muddy drills through the air, the duration of this move is fairly small as is the distance it goes. You can choose Muddy's direction midmove. So it is somewhat like Lucario's Extremespeed. Unlike Lucario's Extremespeed, if Muddy comes into contact with any portion of the stage he drills into it and digs his way back to the top of stage's main platform.
~ Notes ~
Muddy sort of drills through the ground so, Mole Drill eh? Considering his horrible air game, I believe a recovery with a unique function like this is suitable for somebody with as much ground control as Muddy right?
DOWN SPECIAL: Burrow - Muddy burrows himself underground to the point where you can only see his head poking out. While he moves at in this state he is completely underground, but you can sort of guess his positioning by the ground moving on the stage. He moves fairly fast underground, as he only has roughly 4 to 5 seconds to go where he wants before he returns above ground. While in the ground Muddy is essentially invulnerable to almost every attack, albeit ones that hit the ground (Dedede's Forward Smash, Bowser's Down Special, Ganondorf's Up Tilt) if hit by one of these, he is shot up into the air.
If Muddy goes near a ledge while being underground, he could fall off the stage if he isn't too careful.
If used on a platform with no real ground for Muddy to hide in, he'll go straight through it. Spiking anybody who touches him during this move (This goes for platforms like the ones on Battlefield and main platforms for the traveling stages [Delfino Plaza, F-Zero Stages, Rainbow Road, Skyloft, etc.).
DOWN SPECIAL (AIR): Mole Drill - Muddy drills again, but downward at a fairly fast rate. If opponents are caught in this move they'll be dragged downward with Muddy. If the button is pressed, Muddy will land on the ground. But if held, Muddy will burrow straight into the ground. A great move for retreating away from enemies.
~ Notes ~
Move is clearly based on Muddy's ability to dig (which is supposed to be his biggest selling point after all).
FINAL SMASH: Mole Mania - Muddy whistles out as if he's calling for something or someone, when suddenly the ground shakes!
All of Muddy's children and his wife pop out onto the stage! The Children are scampering around, causing anybody on the ground to be trapped by pitfalls while Muddy and his wife after the scamps to calm them down and get them back to safety. The two cause tons of knockback and damage if they come in contact with any opponents. Once the 7 children are gathered the two meet up: the Children go into a hole, the Muddy and his wife share a kiss and she jumps into the hole as well. This ends the Final Smash.

~ Notes ~
Clearly based on Muddy's family and the cutscenes of Muddy's interactions with his children in Mole Mania. They can be a lot to handle, so I thought this was kinda fitting.
The smaller stage the more useful the Final Smash is
.[/collapse]
In a gameplay standpoint, it's very similar to Opossum's. Seriously, there are so many shared ideas here and I've never seen Opossum's moveset prior to putting the finishing touches on this.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Playing Mole Mania now...
Why did I ever stop.
Over the past few days my support has gone way up. I consider myself, among @ Opossum Opossum and @ AEMehr AEMehr , one of the biggest Muddy supporters out there now.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
SIGN ME UP! I love Mole Mania and I can't believe I didn't find this thread until now!
I made a new design for Muddy, what do you guys think?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So in order to revive this thread a bit, here's a nice Muddy icon from Zhadgon!

CaptainMac

Smash Cadet
Big fan of Muddy Mole. One of my most wanted characters for SSB4. I support him being in it for sure.

jigglover

Smash Lord
What happened to this place? When I was active on smashboards this was like "the" character to support, and this thread was "the" place to me. Muddy Mole still has a pretty great chance, guys! @ Opossum Opossum you need to revive this place properly! :(

Basically, Muddy Mole is one of the few "classic" Nintendo characters still not on Super Smash Bros. or not so heavily supported. If you want a game boy retro character, Muddy Mole is your best bet. Why? He's one of the best known out there. The other option would be Alice, theoretically, but balloon fighter is much more iconic than her, and the others are parts of other series. Muddy Mole representing his own series, being popular and being retro ticks 3 boxes for chances to be included, and he could easily have a unique playstyle, which Sakurai seems big in. HE CAN LITERALLY DIG UNDERGROUND! That is beyond unique for a fighting game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What happened to this place? When I was active on smashboards this was like "the" character to support, and this thread was "the" place to me. Muddy Mole still has a pretty great chance, guys! @ Opossum Opossum you need to revive this place properly! :(

Basically, Muddy Mole is one of the few "classic" Nintendo characters still not on Super Smash Bros. or not so heavily supported. If you want a game boy retro character, Muddy Mole is your best bet. Why? He's one of the best known out there. The other option would be Alice, theoretically, but balloon fighter is much more iconic than her, and the others are parts of other series. Muddy Mole representing his own series, being popular and being retro ticks 3 boxes for chances to be included, and he could easily have a unique playstyle, which Sakurai seems big in. HE CAN LITERALLY DIG UNDERGROUND! That is beyond unique for a fighting game.
Sadly most posters haven't had as strong of interest in Muddy once the games were first shown, it seems. :/

I still love Muddy, and he's definitely my favorite retro choice, since he's just so awesome. I just don't really see him as likely, I'll admit. I think we'll just get Sal+K. Rool as far as newcomers at this point, though Muddy DLC would be awesome. :laugh:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Muddy really was planned to be an AT last time around, I hope Sakurai manages to go through with that intention this time, the character really is quite perfect AT material.

I certainly have nothing against Muddy, but he was hardly ever the character to support, he's always been a definite dark horse.

jigglover

Smash Lord
If Muddy really was planned to be an AT last time around, I hope Sakurai manages to go through with that intention this time, the character really is quite perfect AT material.

I certainly have nothing against Muddy, but he was hardly ever the character to support, he's always been a definite dark horse.
I feel like Dillon might have replaced him as the AT though, actually. I don't really know, though...

Also yeah, now that I think about it, he is very much a dark horse haha. I didn't really think that through properly! >_>

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like Dillon might have replaced him as the AT though, actually. I don't really know, though...

Also yeah, now that I think about it, he is very much a dark horse haha. I didn't really think that through properly! >_>
I doubt a character who charges up a spin and jumps around the stage grinding into characters "replaced" a character who works nothing like that.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I doubt a character who charges up a spin and jumps around the stage grinding into characters "replaced" a character who works nothing like that.
Yes, but I meant for much more casual gamers the similar designs could get confusing.

Although on second thought, half of the ATs in brawl looked pretty similar (Saki and Lynn come to mind) so never mind that point! >_>

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yes, but I meant for much more casual gamers the similar designs could get confusing.

Although on second thought, half of the ATs in brawl looked pretty similar (Saki and Lynn come to mind) so never mind that point! >_>

Let's give the casual gamers some credit...

Also Saki and Lyn might have similar body frames (for characters of opposite sexes), but that's about it...

jigglover

Smash Lord

Let's give the casual gamers some credit...

Also Saki and Lyn might have similar body frames (for characters of opposite sexes), but that's about it...
Oh God I didn't mean casual I meant child. Seeing those two side by side they still look much more different than I would've ever imagined though. And I laughed ._..

Also yeah, Saki And Lynn don't look similar in other games, but in brawl they do. To me, anyway. *shrug*

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If he were an Assist Trophy, it'd be awesome if Muddy dug all around the stage and tossed a giant iron ball at fighters, which would break shields and do heavy damage. However, it'd be slow.

jigglover

Smash Lord
If he were an Assist Trophy, it'd be awesome if Muddy dug all around the stage and tossed a giant iron ball at fighters, which would break shields and do heavy damage. However, it'd be slow.
Item mash up: Munchlax eating a giant iron ball would be absolutely hilarious.

Also I just realized -- I'm not even in the OP as a supporter right now! How can I live with myself not officially supporting the mole!?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh God I didn't mean casual I meant child. Seeing those two side by side they still look much more different than I would've ever imagined though. And I laughed ._..

Also yeah, Saki And Lynn don't look similar in other games, but in brawl they do. To me, anyway. *shrug*
Children might be young but they're still not blind... if they can distinguish between Mario and Luigi, Ike and Marth, Ness and Lucas, then two characters who actually don't look anything like each other wouldn't be that confusing...

And you've lost me on Saki and Lyn. One has spiky blonde hair, yellow shirt, shorts and a gun blade, the other has long green hair, a blue kimono and a katana.... and their effects are different.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Guys if you could choose 2 retro reps who would they be? Is go muddy and Takamaru...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I.... I.... I like it.

Muddy Mole for Super Smash Bros.!

He actually feels like a unique choice to me.... Takamaru needs to get out of the way.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So...those retro disconfirmations...

At the very least, he better be an Assist Trophy this time. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still holding out for an AT. I honestly hope they don't give him his unibrow design because I think it's as ugly as sin...
Do you expect a near-blind mammal to shave his unibrow though? He likely doesn't know he has one. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So...those retro disconfirmations...

At the very least, he better be an Assist Trophy this time. :p
I hope so... I also hope Duck Hunt Dog is an Assist Trophy at the very least if he is not playable (if the leaks are not real).

I also wonder if Sakurai is preparing us for a retro themed trailer that confirms retro veterans and a retro newcomer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I hope so... I also hope Duck Hunt Dog is an Assist Trophy at the very least if he is not playable (if the leaks are not real).

I also wonder if Sakurai is preparing us for a retro themed trailer that confirms retro veterans and a retro newcomer.
That'd certainly be something to look forward to.

Though the pessimistic part of me still partially thinks that Sakurai emphasized Little Mac and Pac-Man's arcade history for a reason. :urg:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Well all of these deconfirmations leave us with 4 retro front runners: Ballon Fighter/Alice, Muddy Mole, Excitebiker and Mach Rider. I can see a few reasons why having a vehicle be a character would be frowned upon, and the fact that all the Excitebikers do in Brawl is ride into people shows that he doesn't have too much moveset potential, which IMO leaves us with Balloon Fighter/Alice and Muddy Mole. I really don't see why we can't have both of them! :D

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Well all of these deconfirmations leave us with 4 retro front runners: Ballon Fighter/Alice, Muddy Mole, Excitebiker and Mach Rider. I can see a few reasons why having a vehicle be a character would be frowned upon, and the fact that all the Excitebikers do in Brawl is ride into people shows that he doesn't have too much moveset potential, which IMO leaves us with Balloon Fighter/Alice and Muddy Mole. I really don't see why we can't have both of them! :D
Bubbles though...

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Now more than ever I think Muddy's destiny is sealed to not to be playable. But I hope he can sneak in the AT craze.
Also, I want some of the songs from these underdog games to appear in Smash Bros 4. Too bad it will be very difficult in the 3DS version since the stages are limited to 2 songs.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm still an under-ground fan of Muddy here! *shot*

But really, I'd call him my secret trump card. After clearing World 2 long ages ago, I really wish to see him pop up in this game. Really diggin' his game... I better clear it sometime...

Top Bottom