• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mole Maniacs: Muddy Mole for SSB4 DLC

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Now I don't think Muddy Mole will be DLC, but you can sign me up as a supporter! Your potential moveset for him (as well as his stage) has won me over, and he sounds like he would be an insanely fun character to play as.

He and Lip are my go-to choices for a retro newcomer, now that I think that we've exhausted most of what we can get out of the 1980s era.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
There's also Excitebiker and Bubbles that are still available retro choices.
I think Sakurai would go for the remaining iconic retro characters, Muddy and Mach Rider would be behind them since there hasn't been a real revival character so far.
Don't know about the former two. Excitebike Racer is an item in Smash Run, so I wouldn't bank on that happening. Bubbles also has been dismissed for being unable to fight by Sakurai.

You don't get as iconic as Excitebike Racer or Balloon Fighter, but I doubt the possibility of either of them showing up. I hate to be negative towards a character I really like, but all Muddy has going for him is some pretty unique moveset potential. He's not that iconic, nor is he that well known. Since DLC needs to be purchased by consumers separately, recognizable characters would ensure more sales. Which is probably the biggest hurdle he'd need to overcome (well, aside from having more dlc officially confirmed, but everyone needs to overcome that hurdle first too).
Regardless, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Muddy and Mach Rider if more DLC does end up becoming a thing. But I don't count on it happening sadly.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Don't know about the former two. Excitebike Racer is an item in Smash Run, so I wouldn't bank on that happening. Bubbles also has been dismissed for being unable to fight by Sakurai.

You don't get as iconic as Excitebike Racer or Balloon Fighter, but I doubt the possibility of either of them showing up. I hate to be negative towards a character I really like, but all Muddy has going for him is some pretty unique moveset potential. He's not that iconic, nor is he that well known. Since DLC needs to be purchased by consumers separately, recognizable characters would ensure more sales. Which is probably the biggest hurdle he'd need to overcome (well, aside from having more dlc officially confirmed, but everyone needs to overcome that hurdle first too).
Regardless, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Muddy and Mach Rider if more DLC does end up becoming a thing. But I don't count on it happening sadly.
They could easily just remove Excitebiker from the Assist Trophies, or make them discernible enough. Also, Villager and Mii were also dismissed publicly by Sakurai as not fitting in with a fighting game, while Little Mac was dismissed for being "unable to fight" (in Smash Bros.), and look what happened. I think that there is always potential for Bubbles and Balloon Fighter (both of which he stated would be unable to fight at the same time) because he has changed his mind while dismissing characters in a similar way before.

However, if he doesn't, Sakurai will have to end up looking for slightly less iconic retro characters, else not include retros at all. Furthermore, Muddy Mole as a franchise could do with a reboot. I'd never heard of Pit (or Kid Icarus) before Brawl, so there's always the chance that even though Muddy Mole is a little more obscure, his franchise may just end up finding new life.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Okay, now I DEFINITELY need a source.
I don't have a source, but note that I put in brackets next to it (in Smash Bros.). Sakurai felt that Little Mac's air game potential was non-existant, so he wouldn't fit in the games. He made it work somehow though >_>

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't have a source, but note that I put in brackets next to it (in Smash Bros.). Sakurai felt that Little Mac's air game potential was non-existant, so he wouldn't fit in the games. He made it work somehow though >_>
Once again though, that's a claim I need a source for.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Good point, AEM! Say, if you don't mind my asking, where did you get that adorable Nikki icon in your sig, and also, where's the awesome design of Excitebiker from?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Those trophy items don't mean much at all.
They mean as much as enemies in Smash Run, Assist Trophies, and Stage Hazards. They effect the gameplay in some way, which is probably why they wouldn't be playable because they change how the game plays. I guess Excitebike Racer could pull it off with a unique name and design, but I doubt it.
They could easily just remove Excitebiker from the Assist Trophies, or make them discernible enough. Also, Villager and Mii were also dismissed publicly by Sakurai as not fitting in with a fighting game, while Little Mac was dismissed for being "unable to fight" (in Smash Bros.), and look what happened. I think that there is always potential for Bubbles and Balloon Fighter (both of which he stated would be unable to fight at the same time) because he has changed his mind while dismissing characters in a similar way before.
Villager was dismissed because he was "too peaceful", Miis were dismissed because the developers felt people seeing themselves being beaten up by their favorite Nintendo icons was probably a bad idea at the time. The inclusion of Miis in games like Wii Party and Mario Kart (where some sort of danger was actually present) made the idea seem safer. Bubbles was said to be unable to actually fight. I thought Balloon Fighter was dismissed because they thought he'd be useless without his balloons. But he's still capable of fighting.
However, if he doesn't, Sakurai will have to end up looking for slightly less iconic retro characters, else not include retros at all. Furthermore, Muddy Mole as a franchise could do with a reboot. I'd never heard of Pit (or Kid Icarus) before Brawl, so there's always the chance that even though Muddy Mole is a little more obscure, his franchise may just end up finding new life.
I do not oppose the inclusion of lesser known classic Nintendo characters, I want to see Lip, Muddy, Mach Rider, Sukapon, etc. return one day too, I just do not see it happening for paid downloadable content.
Good point, AEM! Say, if you don't mind my asking, where did you get that adorable Nikki icon in your sig, and also, where's the awesome design of Excitebiker from?
You mean the one in the top row? I ripped it from the Wii U version: made a Mii Fighter, picked a pose I liked, took a screenshot, plugged my SD card into a computer, put it in photoshop and whabam.
Excitebike Racer is also from the Wii U version, but it's of his trophy. Though I had to do that through Miiverse. I did the same for Lucas, K. Rool, the Ice Climbers, and Dillon too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have a couple of times. Though since it's going by fan service it's a bit of a lost cause. :p

Best we can hope for is a Mole Mania revival.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yes, acknowledgement would be lovely. An assist, music, trophy? Just give the guy something!

ketchupcat

Smash Rookie
I've voted for Muddy, and I've gotten others to do the same. He's my number one most wanted character! So much potential.
Nintendo really needs to acknowledge Mole Mania at some point. The Chronicle doesn't count.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've voted for Muddy, and I've gotten others to do the same. He's my number one most wanted character! So much potential.
Nintendo really needs to acknowledge Mole Mania at some point. The Chronicle doesn't count.
It.....really doesn't. Hopefully, Mole Mania does get SOMETHING in the future.

Last edited:
Mole Mania is a lot of fun, but I never beat it; come to think of it, I don't think I got that far at all. I remember at least two of the bosses. Still, Muddy is a fine choice for a character, not just because of moveset "potential" but because he has one signature ability that no one else in the cast does. There would just need to be a compelling way to incorporate his burrowing in Smash.

For retro characters, the NES has been thoroughly scoured by now, leaving only a handful of decent choices. I really think it's time to take one from the Game Boy, which is also a fossil at this point. Mole Mania also has the advantage of being one of Miyamoto's pet projects. A lot of good things going for Muddy. I'm optimistic about his chances in Smash someday, even if his competition for DLC is a little too hot right now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The random spike in Mole Mania love today makes me happy. :)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Not to my knowledge, sadly. :/
Ok, I tried asking PushDustIn about it earlier, but he didn't reply. Putting it under Google translate it lists of a ton of retro Nintendo games and it's characters, but I don't know the context of it.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Muddy Mole is my dark horse pick for a puzzle game/retro DLC.

Top Bottom