• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mole Maniacs: Muddy Mole for SSB4 DLC

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Prince of Sablé HYPE.
I wasn't expecting Sablé to be an assist trophy, maybe a trophy at the very best. But if he can be an AT, maybe Muddy can too if he isn't playable! This is pretty exciting.

Also,
I was trying to plan out a moveset for the Inkling and then I got a pretty brilliant idea for Muddy instead.
Muddy's new side special that isn't the pitfall item.
[collapse="SIDE SPECIAL - DIG IN!"]
[ON GROUND; BUTTON PRESSED]
Muddy jumps into the ground in front of him and pops out about the length of a crate / iron ball forward while attacking with his claws (somewhat like how glide attacks worked in Brawl, because he's gliding underground get it??). This can be useful to jumping to the other side of your protective ball if you know a strong attack is heading your way. It can be used like a roll too, but it goes through the Iron Ball, which would normally act like a wall.
[IN AIR]
In the air, Muddy sort of just leaps forward if pressed. He'll still try to hit you, but just pressing the button gives you some pretty pitiful range. You barely go a battlefield platform.
DIG IN! [ON GROUND; BUTTON HELD]
After Muddy dives into the ground, he will move forward underground at rather fast rate (roughly his run speed, if not a tad bit faster). He will not be able to turn around in this state, unlike when he utilizes his down special Burrow. When the button is released he will fling out and attack, just like when the button is pressed.
If Muddy glides off of the stage he will automatically be put into his attacking position, but he can cancel out of it easily with his Up Special. Muddy could easily self destruct himself if he isn't careful when using this move, but it also acts as one of the most hype edge guarding tactics in the game. This is HIS stage, and he isn't letting you back on.
[IN AIR]
In the air, Muddy will dive a bit forward and start flailing his arms and legs around as if he's actually digging underground. While humorous, it doesn't really help Muddy aside from making him a falling hitbox. Maybe it could be used to get opponents off of you if they're trying edge guard you?[/collapse]
Having this move would probably mean that Burrow would have to make Muddy move around Walking speed when using it, if not a tad bit slower.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm just skeptical of a retro Nintendo newcomer at all at this point. Though if Muddy got in...that'd make up for my loss of Chrom, Starfy and Samurai Goroh. :)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm surprised you guys didn't think this pic raised Muddy's chances.
I sorta have the same feeling too.
I actually think Muddy and pretty much, every other Nintendo retro character are helped by Takamaru and Prince Sable's current situation. (Sorry to their supporters, though.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's sort of interesting how the three Japan-only retros were killed off like that. Takamaru, Lip, and then the Prince. And yes, I believe Lip's done. Nothing other than a confirmation is gonna stop me from believing that.

Meanwhile, Muddy, Mach Rider, and the Dog are still "alive," as far as chances go.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
It's sort of interesting how the three Japan-only retros were killed off like that. Takamaru, Lip, and then the Prince. And yes, I believe Lip's done. Nothing other than a confirmation is gonna stop me from believing that.

Meanwhile, Muddy, Mach Rider, and the Dog are still "alive," as far as chances go.
>forgetting Bubbles

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So...that Gameboy stage...

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
So...that Gameboy stage...
I dunno if that's a confirmation for Muddy Mole specifically, but I think the Gameboy stage should be for the new retro rep, which means... maybe there's a gameboy rep? Maybe it's Muddy Mole?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll preface by saying that I don't think it's likely that we'll get a truly "retro" Nintendo character this time around, and I think Little Mac (based on his trailer) and Pac-Man are filling that sort of "quota."

THAT BEING SAID, man, if this somehow relates to Muddy and acts as his home stage on the 3DS...

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'll preface by saying that I don't think it's likely that we'll get a truly "retro" Nintendo character this time around, and I think Little Mac (based on his trailer) and Pac-Man are filling that sort of "quota."

THAT BEING SAID, man, if this somehow relates to Muddy and acts as his home stage on the 3DS...
What if the Game Boy stage starts off with that logo in the background, after 5-10 second that colourful letter moving thing happens in the background like you just turned the Game Boy on and then it boots up a game... Mole Mania! In the background you might have some game play of Muddy Mole's original game, or something.

Or the same idea of the game getting booted up could happen, and then the game which is booted up has hazards from the game involved in it. This would make Muddy Mole and Mole Mania a stage hazard, but it would show everyone that Sakurai recognizes the character. This could also include some other retro characters like Lip (even though she was on a home system, it still works).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Literally no competition for Muddy either now. But still the obscurity of Mole Mania makes me think he'll be an AT.
Hey, even if he was an Assist at this point, I'd be happy that

1) He was even recognized.
2) He got an HD Model. :D

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just want that Game Boy stage to start playing Tetris... that would be our Tetris stage too... Tetris is more iconic when it's associated with the original Game Boy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We'll probably just get a 3DS model of him in a pic of the day though, since Mole Mania was mainly on the portable Gameboy, just like with Sable.
True, but hey, when the Wii U version comes out, it'll all be good. :p

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Woah I remember this game.

Totally support Muddy Mole

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey guys, look what I found: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn024.html

It seems to say that Muddy Mole was planned for the Smash series, and he is still considered for inclusion in future titles.
I just saw this now...oh my. I wish we had a better translation. Specifically, this part.

私なりにスマブラ2候補キャラをいろいろ調べたりもして
私が望むキャラをまとめてみました。

まず1996年まで発売ソフトで主人公が決まっていたり
このキャラは使える!と思った人たちです。

(必)と、書いてあるのは絶対必要であろうキャラ
 (?)なのはいろいろな意味で難しいキャラ
 (涙)は難しいけどいたら感涙もののキャラ
 (不)は無理でしょうまたは私的にいらんやつ

ポパイ…ポパイ(?)
アーバンチャンピオン…主人公
デビルワールド…主人公タマゴン
クルクルランド…主人公グルッピー(必)
バルーンファイト…主人公名前不明(涙)
アイスクライマー…ポポ ナナ(必)
スパルタンX…主人公トーマス(?)
ブロック&ジャイロ…夢遊病患者ヘクター&ベクター博士(必)
エキサイトバイク…走るのが異常に遅い人
謎の村雨城…主人公鷹丸(必)
新鬼が島…主人公(必)
マイクタイソンパンチアウト…主人公(?)
中山美穂のときめきハイスクール・・・・・・・(?)
ファミコンウォーズ…歩兵?(必)
遊遊記…主人公サル(涙)
ファイアーエムブレムシリーズ…正伝の主人公マルス(必)
パイロットウイングス…田中さん(だったけ?)(涙)
シムシティー…ドクターライト(必)
X…教官(涙)
カエルのために鐘はなる…サブレ王国の王子、リチャード王子(必)
ジョイメカファイト…お笑いロボットスカポン(必)
テレロボクサー・・・・・ロボットみたいなやつ(無言)(必)
光神話パルテナの鏡・・・ピット君
パネルでポン…花の妖精リップ(必)
モグラーニャ…モグラーニャ(涙)

ファミコン初期ののスポーツゲームは省きました
その他まったく知らないのとか省きました

ここまでは(ここからもだけど)たんなる私の希望です。
ここに書いた(必)や(涙)のキャラが
スマブラ2に全部いれば私が満足するというだけかもしれません。

第二部ワリとメジャーなゲームの中で、
スマブラの企画中にあった敵キャラチームや仲間たちの中で
更に例によって私が望むやつ(これは使えると思う)

マリオシリーズ…
   ライバルクッパ大王、
   最近主演のゲームが結構あるワリオ、
   あと初代ドンキーコング、ブラッキー、などの中から
   抽選で選んだところクッパ大王とワリオ
   あとピーチ姫が有力です。

ゼルダシリーズ…
   これも結構人気が有るシリーズなので
   マリオと同じ扱いをしても良いでしょう
   つまりボス豚バージョンガノンとヒロインゼルダ姫で決まり。

カービィシリーズ…
   デデデ大王は必須!
   あといろいろ仲間がいますがグーイが有力です
   ちなみに以後のシリーズでも活躍することを望んでます。

ポケモンではミュウツー!
あとスターフォックスのウルフとか良いですね

任天堂キャラのほとんどが私の思い入れキャラなので
そのキャラ達が私の最も愛するゲーム
スマブラで生き返ってくれればと思って
こんな良くわかんない事しました
許してください。
@Venus of the Desert Bloom , could you translate this, or give us a rough idea, by any chance?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That was just a bunch of requests the person wanted Sakurai to add in Smash Bros. 2.
Not from what I'm seeing. From my poor Google Translate skills, he specifically goes down a list of retros for Melee and why he didn't use them, or if he plans on perhaps using them in the future. For example, from what I'm seeing, he actually denied Little Mac do to lack of creative ideas. That fits in with what he said in the Smash Direct, where he said it was difficult to make a diverse moveset (that being said he's clearly not a boxing fan :p ).

Specifically, Muddy is listed with "tears" as if he wanted him playable. I think. That's the idea I'm getting from Google Translate. Not just names, but ideas.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You have also to inspect the various 2 candidate character in Smash Bros. I Nari I tried to summarize the character I want. Hero or are determined by the software released until 1996 First I use this character! It is the people who I thought it was. And (必), it's is written Chara would be absolutely necessary Difficult character in a (?) Nanoha ways The character of tears of gratitude thing If we had been, but difficult (tears) Guy: I do not need to private or would be impossible (not) Popeye ... Popeye (?) Urban Champion ... hero Devil World ... hero Tamagon Clu Land ... hero Guruppi (必) Name unknown (tears) Balloon Fight ... hero Ice Climber ... Popo Nana (必) Spartan X ... hero Thomas (?) Blocks & gyro ... sleepwalking patient Hector & vector Dr. (必) People abnormally slow run is the Excitebike ... Nazonomurasamejou ... hero Takamaru (必) Island ... new hero ogre (必) Mike Tyson punch out ... hero (?) Tokimeki High School ....... Nakayama Miho (?) Famicom Wars ... infantry? (必) 遊遊 Symbol ... hero monkey (tears) Mars hero of Fire Emblem series ... Seiden (必) (Only was?) Pilot Wings ... Tanaka (tears) Sim City ... Doctor Light (必) X ... instructor (tears) Prince of the kingdom ... sable bell would be for frog, Prince Richard (必) Joy Mech Fight ... Comedy robot Sukapon (必) Guy such Tererobokusa ..... robot like (silence) (必) Mirror ... pit Mr. light mythology Parutena Panel fairy lip of Pong ... Flowers (必) Moguranya Moguranya ... (tears) I have omitted the sports games of the NES initial I have omitted Toka do not know at all other (It's also from here but) so far is a mere hope of me. Character is written here and (必) of (tear) You might just say I be satisfied if all put in Smash Bros. 2. In the game and a major second part Wali, Among the friends and enemies team that was in the planning of the Smash Bros. (I think that it can use this) guy as usual I want more Mario series ... Rival Bowser the Great, Wario is pretty games starring recently, From after original Donkey Kong, such as Blackie, Wario and Bowser Great place that you selected in lottery After Princess Peach is a strong. Zelda series ... This is also because the series is popular pretty You may wish to treat the same as Mario That is determined by the heroine Princess Zelda and Ganon boss pig version. Kirby series ... Dedede Great Required! There are many fellow after but Gui is a strong By the way, I hope that it is also active in a series of subsequent. The Mewtwo in Pokemon! It is good Toka Wolf after Star Fox Most of the Nintendo character is because the character of my fondness The character who is the game that you love most of my I thought that it should give me be revived in Smash Bros. Was that I do not know well this Please forgive me.
It's just a character want list.,

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's just a character want list.,
That's the thing though. There's comments about them. Sakurai comments. Those are the gold in that, from what I've seen. Or think I've seen.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not from what I'm seeing. From my poor Google Translate skills, he specifically goes down a list of retros for Melee and why he didn't use them, or if he plans on perhaps using them in the future. For example, from what I'm seeing, he actually denied Little Mac do to lack of creative ideas. That fits in with what he said in the Smash Direct, where he said it was difficult to make a diverse moveset (that being said he's clearly not a boxing fan :p ).

Specifically, Muddy is listed with "tears" as if he wanted him playable. I think. That's the idea I'm getting from Google Translate. Not just names, but ideas.
Really? Wow... Sakurai really changed his mind after Punch-Out!! for the Wii came out!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Really? Wow... Sakurai really changed his mind after Punch-Out!! for the Wii came out!
from what ive heard mac's inclusion was mostly due to sakurai being a fan of the original punch out arcade

Last edited:

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
I really like Muddy Mole's design! I think it would be cool if he made it in to Smash.

I support!

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
Wow, why did I not see this thread earlier?!

Glad to see everyone's joined the underground movement!

And here's an old moveset I'd doodled up for him:

Muddy Mole! CAN YOU DIG IT?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wow, why did I not see this thread earlier?!

Glad to see everyone's joined the underground movement!

And here's an old moveset I'd doodled up for him:

Muddy Mole! CAN YOU DIG IT?
This looks awesome! I'll be updating the OP tomorrow with these. :) With credit, of course.

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
This looks awesome! I'll be updating the OP tomorrow with these. :) With credit, of course.
Thanks! I think Mole Mania is one of those games I've played far more than can possibly be healthy. Had it back on Gameboy, my original cartridge got broken, bought a second copy of it (still have the broken one too), then bought it again when it came out for 3DS (I had been playing it on my GBA SP when the announcement came out), and I've now beaten it several times over on my 3DS. Hoo boy.

There's something exceedingly satisfying when you solve a room, even moreso when you can out-think the level designer and find a sneakier way of doing it in some cases.

I'm very curios about what that all says exactly. I had always heard that Sakurai talked about Muddy before, but I've never known exactly what he said about him.
Sakurai's official comment about the suggestion of Muddy as playable was, "very interesting." Not sure if he ever said more than that, but that much I do recall.

AH! ALMOST FORGOT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p03jAipmYE8
The original Japanese commercial for Mole Mania! See Muddy in 3D!

Last edited:

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
I've been looking for a Mole Mania commercial on Youtube for a long time. Did they have one in America too?
Don't recall ever seeing an American one, just the Japanese one. Given the time it came out, it may have been a commercial combined with an ad for the Super Gameboy, as Mole Mania was one of the titles that supported the enhanced features of it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Any sightings at all guys? :(

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Soooo...

...maybe? :p

In theory, I can see a retro newcomer being added in a pack with the Ice Climbers. Unlikely? Sure, but I think it'd be neat.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just thinking about it too. Despite it being unlikely for a retro newcomer to be chosen. There's really...not a lot of choices. Most of the choices are Assist Trophies. Others, like Lip and Balloon Fighter have different issues. That pretty much leaves Muddy Mole and Mach Rider (and the Ice Climbers). I just think a "retro pack" for when they release the Ice Climbers could be neat.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There's also Excitebiker and Bubbles that are still available retro choices.
I think Sakurai would go for the remaining iconic retro characters, Muddy and Mach Rider would be behind them since there hasn't been a real revival character so far.

Top Bottom