• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Modify a Hacked Wii to Boot Straight to the Homebrew Channel (Goodbye, Wiimote!)

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
Thanks! Although...iirc I read somewhere that you could boot to the wii system menu with the gamecube controller working? My wii system menu still requires a wiimote. If I misread that and that isn't possible, could I get my Wii to boot up straight into the homebrew channel instead? (I really just don't like the BootMii screen lol...reminds me of the ugly PS2 ActionReplay menus heh).

And yup, I saved a backup of the BootMii folder thanks!
There is no way (That I know) to use the GameCube Controllers on the Wii Menu

As for booting straight to the Homebrew Channel, there may be a way. But I have no clue, sorry.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Thanks! Although...iirc I read somewhere that you could boot to the wii system menu with the gamecube controller working? My wii system menu still requires a wiimote. If I misread that and that isn't possible, could I get my Wii to boot up straight into the homebrew channel instead? (I really just don't like the BootMii screen lol...reminds me of the ugly PS2 ActionReplay menus heh).

And yup, I saved a backup of the BootMii folder thanks!
you cannot use the Bootmii system to boot up straight into homebrew. iirc, you can use Priiloader to do this, but Priiloader is not exactly the best and you will most likely end up messing up your wii. You might have to deal with just using the bootmii menu to go into homebrew. As for wanting to use the Wii system menu, there is no way to do anything like this. And I am pretty sure if there were, people would have been doing it for ages by now considering how old the Wii is.

Last edited:

Lyux

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to get my wii to start up anywhere besides the normal wii system menu. I used the LetterBomb method to get HBC and Bootmii on my wii so I'm not sure if I should try the other method mentioned here. I checked Bootmii compatibility with my SDHC card before I bought it and it's supposed to work.

Last edited:

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
I can't seem to get my wii to start up anywhere besides the normal wii system menu. I used the LetterBomb method to get HBC and Bootmii on my wii so I'm not sure if I should try the other method mentioned here. I checked Bootmii compatibility with my SDHC card before I bought it and it's supposed to work.
You should really say what kind of wii you are using first. Also, it sounds like you didnt actually install the HBC and Bootmii. like you just loaded up Letterbomb and left.

Lyux

Smash Rookie
You should really say what kind of wii you are using first. Also, it sounds like you didnt actually install the HBC and Bootmii. like you just loaded up Letterbomb and left.
I'm using the black wii (RVL-001). HBC and Bootmii were both installed through Letterbomb.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
I'm using the black wii (RVL-001). HBC and Bootmii were both installed through Letterbomb.
Well I am not entirely sure of the compatibility of your wii with bootmii, but if you actually did install bootmii, you would have gone right to the bootmii menu. If it doesnt, then reinstall and try again. you should check how old your wii is and see if it is fully compatible with bootmii since there are two versions (bootmii2 and bootmii1) that work for different consoles. If that wii is from 2008 or later, maybe it might not work as well.

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
I'm putting a Melee setup together and would ideally like the following workflow:

1. Turning on Wii boots GameCube > Melee (20XX) directly.
2. Holding a button at startup instead boots the HomeBrew menu.

Does anyone have that combination on their setup?

DRGN

Technowizard
you cannot use the Bootmii system to boot up straight into homebrew. iirc, you can use Priiloader to do this, but Priiloader is not exactly the best and you will most likely end up messing up your wii. You might have to deal with just using the bootmii menu to go into homebrew. As for wanting to use the Wii system menu, there is no way to do anything like this. And I am pretty sure if there were, people would have been doing it for ages by now considering how old the Wii is.
I've used Priiloader on 3 or 4 Wiis and never seen it create problems for the Wii. I think it's great.

Maybe you had a conflict with a particular model Wii? Or maybe the system menu version; were you using 4.3U?
Are you able to load HBC from the Wii's system menu? You should be able to install Priiloader. Once that's installed, you can configure it so the system will boot strait to Priiloader, HBC, or BootMii. It's supposed to also allow you to boot directly to specific apps too, but I don't think I was able to get that to work for some reason, so I just have mine set to boot to HBC.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
I've used Priiloader on 3 or 4 Wiis and never seen it create problems for the Wii. I think it's great.

Maybe you had a conflict with a particular model Wii? Or maybe the system menu version; were you using 4.3U?

Are you able to load HBC from the Wii's system menu? You should be able to install Priiloader. Once that's installed, you can configure it so the system will boot strait to Priiloader, HBC, or BootMii. It's supposed to also allow you to boot directly to specific apps too, but I don't think I was able to get that to work for some reason, so I just have mine set to boot to HBC.
Not sure about my model or if its 4.3u because its been a long time since I've hacked my wii. However, I dont have any problems with my setup and will probably not change it

Last edited:

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
For everyone who was getting the Homebrew not installed error, here's a work around for if you don't want to install boot mii
I did this;
  1. Your Wii needs to be off
  2. Load Priiloader by pressing and holding power and reset
  3. Go to "Launch Title"
  4. select Homebrew channel
  5. It will launch homebrew
Hopefully that works for you guys :D

Edit: All that can be done without a Wiimote, if you don't know

Last edited:

knoxvader

Smash Cadet
So, can one use BootMii without the files on one's SD card? I haven't gotten that to work, but this thread suggests that you shouldn't need them...

knoxvader

Smash Cadet
I've installed it as boot2, but it does not load BootMii when I turn on my Wii without an SD card containing BootMii files.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
I was getting real tired of having to maintain a charged wiimote simply to boot Melee, so I did this thingy a little while ago. I updated Priiloader to its beta build and that fixed the issue of it not being able to find the Homebrew channel. Well, I really enjoy being able to start up PM and Melee with only my GCC. It also boots much faster. PM now ironically launchers faster than vanilla Brawl.

Last edited:

APESAUCE

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1741-8331
how can i have it so when it automatically boots to the homebrew menu, i can still access the disc in my wii (melee) without going to the system menu and using a wiimote?

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
how can i have it so when it automatically boots to the homebrew menu, i can still access the disc in my wii (melee) without going to the system menu and using a wiimote?
That's not too hard to set up. Install Gecko OS 1.9.3.1 (the easiest way is getting it from the Homebrew Browser) and use it to load Melee. If you use it with a Brawl disk it will skip the PM loader and boot straight to PM.

DRGN

Technowizard
I was getting real tired of having to maintain a charged wiimote simply to boot Melee, so I did this thingy a little while ago. I updated Priiloader to its beta build and that fixed the issue of it not being able to find the Homebrew channel. Well, I really enjoy being able to start up PM and Melee with only my GCC. It also boots much faster. PM now ironically launchers faster than vanilla Brawl.
This is what I did a long time ago to avoided having to use batteries in mine (besides priiloader nowadays + mostly playing games not needing it):
Controller power mods 02.jpg

:p

And there's a little switch inside the jack, so that if I do have batteries in it and I plug in external power, it disconnects the batteries.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
The reason why I have priiloader because if one day I brick my wii I use priiloader to unbrick it.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Double posting so it's not sage. I have a bit of a problem here. Whenever I turn off my Wii while in-game it just switches to the homebrew channel. I can only actually turn it off from the homebrew channel. So I basically have to turn it off twice every time. I'm pretty sure this is directly related to the mods I installed for this project. Is there any way to fix this?

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Double posting so it's not sage. I have a bit of a problem here. Whenever I turn off my Wii while in-game it just switches to the homebrew channel. I can only actually turn it off from the homebrew channel. So I basically have to turn it off twice every time. I'm pretty sure this is directly related to the mods I installed for this project. Is there any way to fix this?
Pretty sure that's a setting in Priiloader. Shutdown to: Hombrew channel
Change it to whatever you like.

Br0h

Smash Rookie
I have an issue where instead of install BootMii as Boot2 it says install BootMii as ios, how do I fix this?

DRGN

Technowizard
I have an issue where instead of install BootMii as Boot2 it says install BootMii as ios, how do I fix this?
You can't. Installation as Boot2 is done using a bug that was fixed in Wiis released after ~2008. Gonna have to install as IOS for your Wii.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Pretty sure that's a setting in Priiloader. Shutdown to: Hombrew channel
Here are my priiloader settings
Autoboot: Homebrew Channel
Return to: System Menu
Shutdown to: off

the only other shutdown option is to priiloader, so it couldn't have been set to homebrew.
Any other possibilities?

Edit: I'm not sure why, but it only does this when I run Melee. If I'm playing Project: M either through the launcher or Gecko OS it will always shut down the first time.

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Here are my priiloader settings
Autoboot: Homebrew Channel
Return to: System Menu
Shutdown to: off

the only other shutdown option is to priiloader, so it couldn't have been set to homebrew.
Any other possibilities?

Edit: I'm not sure why, but it only does this when I run Melee. If I'm playing Project: M either through the launcher or Gecko OS it will always shut down the first time.
It doesn't do it when you try to play other GC games? If it does, then it's a problem with the gamecube side of your Wii, and might have to do with your IOS's or dios mios builds. Not sure

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Probably all GC games, I just only play Smash games. I've never dabbled in whatever you're talking about so idk what the implications of a fault in those builds are.

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
I know this topic is pretty old, but if anyone is having problems with PriiLoader, make sure to update it after installing.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
One of the interesting things in the changelog:
  • Gecko output will now be dumped to fat:/prii.log
wonder what it outputs....
Late to the party, but nothing interesting just debug for priiloader. Anything that calls gprintf basically.

Last edited:

Greeni

Smash Rookie
Ok I know this thread is old, but I just modded my Wii two days ago (it's an old Wii, so I installed bootmii/boot2 and also priiloader).

I only want to play the Melee Hack Pack with this Wii, so my question is, is there a way to make it boot directly into the Melee Hack Pack? I read something about Wiiflow USB loader etc. Right now I start the Hack Pack through DIOS MIOS

dreamhouse

Smash Cadet
Ok I know this thread is old, but I just modded my Wii two days ago (it's an old Wii, so I installed bootmii/boot2 and also priiloader).

I only want to play the Melee Hack Pack with this Wii, so my question is, is there a way to make it boot directly into the Melee Hack Pack? I read something about Wiiflow USB loader etc. Right now I start the Hack Pack through DIOS MIOS
I recently modded my Wii as well, and as far as I know there's no way to boot directly into a gc game without pressing anything like is possible on an Xbox, older consoles, etc..

The best thing I figured out from my research is install priiloader, install USB loader gx, then install USB loader gx under install file in priiloader and go to priiloader settings and set it to boot to installed file on power up.

If you do all this correctly whenever you power the Wii on it will boot straight to USB loader gx and you can just select melee or any other game from the sources you have selected and it will automatically load melee through nintendont (assuming you have nintendont installed).

I like this better than going homebrew>nintendont>sd/USB>selecting game, because it's one button press instead of like five and its easier for noobs if they need to set it up without me at tournament, you just turn it on and click on melee and it plays.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it

Set an installed app in priiloader settings and set priiloader to autoboot to installed app. Just set the installed app to whatever you want to use for booting melee. I've used the brawl minus loader to boot vanilla melee using this method.

musashi

Smash Apprentice
I know this is an old topic, but I'm new to all this stuff and have a couple of questions.
I just got a hacked wii which has homebrew channel installed, but I don't have a sensor nor a wiimote.
Is it possible to install the priiloader or any other thing without the sensor/wiimote so I can play 20xx?

TripleDeckerPBJ

Smash Rookie
I asked a little while ago about adding 4.05 to my system that already had 3.02. That was successful and some! (Got 3.02, 4.05, vanilla, and put Mario Party 5 on it lol). Thanks for that :)

However, I want to use a new SD card I bought. I presume things are not as simple as copying all of the previous SD card files into the new one and plug-and-play? I just tried it and it didn't quite work (homebrew channel didn't see anything). Must I redo the process of preparing the SD card as I did when I first set up the system? Or where could I start out to make things easier?Thanks!

DRGN

Technowizard
I asked a little while ago about adding 4.05 to my system that already had 3.02. That was successful and some! (Got 3.02, 4.05, vanilla, and put Mario Party 5 on it lol). Thanks for that :)

However, I want to use a new SD card I bought. I presume things are not as simple as copying all of the previous SD card files into the new one and plug-and-play? I just tried it and it didn't quite work (homebrew channel didn't see anything). Must I redo the process of preparing the SD card as I did when I first set up the system? Or where could I start out to make things easier?Thanks!
If you just got the SD card, it's probably formatted as NTFS. Format it as fat32 and it should work once you copy your files back to it.

iBDW

Smash Rookie
So for anyone who had the maybe it's not installed issue, even though this thread is super old, I hit the Launch Title and then Homebrew Menu and it worked from there even though I got the error booting HBC message.

Top Bottom