• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Modify a Hacked Wii to Boot Straight to the Homebrew Channel (Goodbye, Wiimote!)

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
I installed priiloader and set it to boot into Nintendont, it tries to go into Nintendont and then I get the DSI error, I tried removing the SD that I have 20xx on and nothing different happens. I just want to get to HBC so I can uninstall Priiloader.
Why do you want to uninstall priiloader? There's no downside to having it there, just hold reset while turning the console on and go to the settings of Priiloader, then choose homebrew channel and you will always boot to that instead. I never boot straight to Nintendon't (don't think that works) I just either install CFG loader or the usb loader GX forwarder.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
I installed priiloader and set it to boot into Nintendont, it tries to go into Nintendont and then I get the DSI error, I tried removing the SD that I have 20xx on and nothing different happens. I just want to get to HBC so I can uninstall Priiloader.
Hold reset while booting the Wii to get to the Priiloader menu, and then in settings, set autoboot to Homebrew. Don't see why you'd want to uninstall Priiloader.

Edit: oops, didn't see the post above me. new page

Last edited:

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
this is nice but not necessary.

everyone should have at least one wiimote if their gonna have a wii- facts of life these things go hand n hand.

as for the main menu? ok so its dated that we can't use the gamecube controller- so what? just use your wii mote, buy a lighter if your silly inferred thing does work- a lighter does the same thing.

hold the bic/zippo lighter as far away from the wii mote as you can(don't cheap out on this one get a good one) and get the lighter going. then point your wiimote to the lighter and select homebrew menu.... there you go

your welcome

fugless

Smash Rookie
fugless, I literally have that exact problem. I don't know if it's possible to boot straight to 20XX, but I want to at least be able to boot straight to nintendont. When I start it up I get the exception DSI error, how did you fix it? The homebrew channel is as far as I can get when booting.
Hope your wii is fixed by now. If not, I shut off the wii, brought up priiloader again, and undid the booting to nintendont. Apparently booting straight to nintendont is a bad idea.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
You can just set up the usb loader gx forwarder to boot straight to usb loader gx, with nintendont in the apps folder, so that you can choose the game on the loader which will then boot up with nintendont. I've uploaded the whole thing, I had to get a special usb loader gx so that it would load straight into nintendont instead of making you choose the game twice.

In the priiloader menu (hold reset while turning on wii) install - ForwarderV5.1.dol
Settings - installed file
Now you can boot straight into the loader, choose a game, and it will run with nintendont.

Download:
https://mega.co.nz/#!P8YiwaiI!HnQlcci0PQWH5ETSCYtS7Kahn5oIy-gcvwK16JWwfT8

JimCool

Smash Rookie
yo, if you don't have a wii model that let's you install bootmii as boot2, and priiloader isn't letting you get into the homebrew channel, you can install bootmii as IOS AND install priiloader and just run bootmii through priiloader and get to the homebrew channel that way.

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
everyone should have at least one wiimote if their gonna have a wii- facts of life these things go hand n hand.
as for the main menu? ok so its dated that we can't use the gamecube controller- so what? just use your wii mote, buy a lighter if your silly inferred thing does work- a lighter does the same thing.
hold the bic/zippo lighter as far away from the wii mote as you can(don't cheap out on this one get a good one) and get the lighter going. then point your wiimote to the lighter and select homebrew menu.... there you go
your welcome
If this isn't a troll post, it's a perfect example of a severe mental defect becoming more and more prevalent in society.
Who are you to say what is and what isn’t necessary to someone else? You’re no one. I’m not going to go into a list of scenarios in which one might not have (or may not want) the Wii’s ridiculous remote, but suffice it to say there are plenty of people out there who own a Wii solely to play Melee / Brawl / PM without having to change consoles.

The beautiful thing about Priiloader is that it nullifies your statement that “everyone should have at least one wiimote if their gonna have a wii”. Your opinions on the facts of life notwithstanding, Priiloader allows Wii owners to play Melee without having to combat the excruciating minutia of menu navigation with the biggest joke of a controller in history.

Priiloader wasn’t developed for owners who lost their Wii remote. It was developed for owners who despise this garbage controller.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
look man... its like I always say (yet forgot to say here, oops) do what you want.

but don`t bash nintendo- they did ok with the incoming bootup screen despite it sucking hard for restricting its access to wiimotes only.

This may be the best system Nintendos ever made- its not what`s on the surface yet what`s underneath that a creative hacker finds where it turns into gold.... in which the gold is made into things like project m in the first place. wonder what the wii u or the 3DS will look like years later

Last edited:

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
you should be able to reset the power by holding down the power button (like you do a computer)

or does this have to do with controller bluetooth hookups?

damn old wiis are the best ones

zankyou

Smash Lord

your welcome
You replaced the sensor bar but I dont see a strategy to replace the BT IR camera when you dont have one.

mooki

Smash Apprentice

your welcome
Lol, a car is nice but not necessary. You could just bike/walk everywhere. I wonder why so many people enjoy owning a car. Probably similar to why so many people enjoy being able to avoid having to use a Wiimote.

Last edited:

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
In case Priiloader hasn't been working and haven't found the solutions, how about a shot at BootMii?

For right now, I'm going to guess you are already hacked and have HBC installed(I'll go over unmodded Wii's near the end)

1)Go to http://bootmii.org/download/ and Download HackMii Installer v1.2.
2)Place the HackMii folder in your apps folder you use for HBC
Ex: SD Root\apps\hackmii folder here...
3)Go to HBC and there should be an app without a logo, just blank, but when you go to open it, it should be titled HackMii.
4)As soon as you open it, an image should pop up stating "THIS SOFTWARE MUST NOT BE SOLD" blah blah blah, some more scammed mumbo jumbo. It will stay on this screen for a good 20 seconds, just be patient. After some time, on the bottom, it'll state: "Press 1 to continue"
5)You will be taken to some text saying " The test results are in:" and "The Homebrew Channel: Can be installed", "BootMii: Can be installed". Here you just wanna press continue.
6)You will be at the Main Menu(you can tell by the yellow letters at the top), go to "BootMii..."
7)There are a lot of options here so listen(or read) carefully:

Letters in Cyan are taken directly from the README-BootMii.txt.

* BootMii/boot2: This mode will install BootMii into 2 blank blocks in the
boot2 area of your Wii. It will take over the function of
the normal boot2. If no SD card is detected or armboot.bin
is not found on the SD card, the drive slot LED will flash
briefly and the normal system menu will boot.

Pros: Independant of system menu and the rest of NAND flash. Can
boot even if the rest of the system is completely corrupted.
Allows for safe backup / restore of NAND flash from SD card.
Allows direct boot of The Homebrew Channel, or other
programs.

Cons: Relies on a vulnerability in boot1 that was fixed mid-2008;
if your Wii is newer than this, the HackMii Installer will
not allow you to install this form of BootMii. Installation
is complicated and slightly risky; we have tested it and
believe it to be safe, but a power failure at the wrong time
during installation could leave your system unusable.

* BootMii/IOS: This mode will install BootMii into your NAND filesystem as an
IOS (IOS254). It behaves identically to BootMii/boot2, but
you must launch it from a special program (The Homebrew
Channel, or your own code.)

Pros: Universal compatibility with all Wiis. Allows booting
arbitrary code on ARM / PPC. Supports speedy backup of NAND
to SD. Very safe to install.

Cons: Easily deletable or overwritten by a system update. NAND
restore is technically possible, but not safe because you
cannot boot to BootMii/IOS in case the contents of your NAND
flash are corrupted.

In Short:
-BootMii/boot2: uses some files to skip from your SD card to skip into the special loader from when you start your wii where you can use your gamecube controller to navigate into the HBC(where you can also use your GameCube controller in case you didn't know).
-BootMii/iso: you need to be in your HBC channel to activate... you need to go through the original system menu, so duhhh... not what we are trying to get done, it's counterintuitive.

8)You are going to choose "Install BootMii as boot2"
9)Some menacing runtime warnings will show up about violating your SD card, assuming it's in your Wii, click on "Yes, continue"
10)It'll write some files onto your SD card and ask you if you want to install BootMii/boot2 now, click on "Yes, continue" once more.
*The files installed are in a folder on the root of your SD card under:
SD Root\bootmii
*The bootmii folder is transferable, so you can put it in other SD's for your mods, so they as well can bypass system menu.
11)Some CMD prompts will show on screen writing and attacking those filthy NAND blocks 3 & 4, once it's done 'SUCCESS' should pop up, and click continue.
12)Hit "Return to the main menu"
13)Hit "Exit"
14)After reaching the HBC, turn off your Wii and turn it back on
15)The BootMii menu will pop up, going from left to right there are four options:

1 Most Left-Boot original Wii system menu.
2 Mid Left-Boot up to the HBC.
3 Mid Right-Load .dol from SD.
4 Most Right-BootMii settings.

Unmodded Wii's:
When following whatever guide you are reading to mod your Wii, when you are prompted to install HBC, install BootMii as well, so you have it from the Get-go.
You can load HackMii using Smashstacks as well, but sadly I never used Smashstacks so I have no experience there.

As some added bonuses, if the bootmii folder necessary to load the menu isn't found or does not work in any way, the disc drive's LED will flash once and the original system menu will load. Also, this extra menu doesn't replace the old one so it gives you a recovery option, technically making your wii unbrickable.

Letters in Orange are taken directly from http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Bootmii#Benefits to cite the second bonus above.

BootMii allows anything from Recovery modes (creating a practically unbrickable Wii), to lazy access of the Homebrew Channel. For example, if you have corrupted the System Menu, you can use DOP-Mii to reinstall the System Menu. Unfortunately, all homebrew currently require an IOS, because libogc requires one. However, there is Mini (a homebrew IOS-like software), which can be modified specifically for the program, ie, for better communication to the Linux kernel.
When I get to Bootmii and see this menu, I click on Homebrewchannel and the entire screen stays black

Curve

Smash Rookie
How do I remove prii loader off my wii so it no longer boots straight to that menu?

Edit: I stupid

Last edited:

Curve

Smash Rookie
I followed to boot mii tutorial but it does not load straight to the bootmii loader it just loads to the normal menu. Anyone got a solution

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
I followed to boot mii tutorial but it does not load straight to the bootmii loader it just loads to the normal menu. Anyone got a solution
sometime it might an SD card issue, i have 3 and only two of them work even though i copied and pasted the exact same folder to all 3

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
When I get to Bootmii and see this menu, I click on Homebrewchannel and the entire screen stays black
TBH, i have never had this issue let alone heard of it until now.

My guess is that there might be a problem with your homebrew, saying that the bootmii menu loaded all fine and dandy.

Last edited:

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
TBH, i have never had this issue let alone heard of it until now.

My guess is that there might be a problem with your homebrew, saying that the bootmii menu loaded all fine and dandy.
Its ok I can live without being able to load directly to Homebrew

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
Its ok I can live without being able to load directly to Homebrew
yeah sorry, if ever find anything I'll report here.
But if you find a solution before me, please post it here so i can add it to the guide.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Have you tried just reinstalling bootMii and the homebrew channel with the newest versions?

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
In case Priiloader hasn't been working and haven't found the solutions, how about a shot at BootMii?

For right now, I'm going to guess you are already hacked and have HBC installed(I'll go over unmodded Wii's near the end)

1)Go to http://bootmii.org/download/ and Download HackMii Installer v1.2.
2)Place the HackMii folder in your apps folder you use for HBC
Ex: SD Root\apps\hackmii folder here...
3)Go to HBC and there should be an app without a logo, just blank, but when you go to open it, it should be titled HackMii.
4)As soon as you open it, an image should pop up stating "THIS SOFTWARE MUST NOT BE SOLD" blah blah blah, some more scammed mumbo jumbo. It will stay on this screen for a good 20 seconds, just be patient. After some time, on the bottom, it'll state: "Press 1 to continue"
5)You will be taken to some text saying " The test results are in:" and "The Homebrew Channel: Can be installed", "BootMii: Can be installed". Here you just wanna press continue.
6)You will be at the Main Menu(you can tell by the yellow letters at the top), go to "BootMii..."
7)There are a lot of options here so listen(or read) carefully:

Letters in Cyan are taken directly from the README-BootMii.txt.

* BootMii/boot2: This mode will install BootMii into 2 blank blocks in the
boot2 area of your Wii. It will take over the function of
the normal boot2. If no SD card is detected or armboot.bin
is not found on the SD card, the drive slot LED will flash
briefly and the normal system menu will boot.

Pros: Independant of system menu and the rest of NAND flash. Can
boot even if the rest of the system is completely corrupted.
Allows for safe backup / restore of NAND flash from SD card.
Allows direct boot of The Homebrew Channel, or other
programs.

Cons: Relies on a vulnerability in boot1 that was fixed mid-2008;
if your Wii is newer than this, the HackMii Installer will
not allow you to install this form of BootMii. Installation
is complicated and slightly risky; we have tested it and
believe it to be safe, but a power failure at the wrong time
during installation could leave your system unusable.

* BootMii/IOS: This mode will install BootMii into your NAND filesystem as an
IOS (IOS254). It behaves identically to BootMii/boot2, but
you must launch it from a special program (The Homebrew
Channel, or your own code.)

Pros: Universal compatibility with all Wiis. Allows booting
arbitrary code on ARM / PPC. Supports speedy backup of NAND
to SD. Very safe to install.

Cons: Easily deletable or overwritten by a system update. NAND
restore is technically possible, but not safe because you
cannot boot to BootMii/IOS in case the contents of your NAND
flash are corrupted.

In Short:
-BootMii/boot2: uses some files to skip from your SD card to skip into the special loader from when you start your wii where you can use your gamecube controller to navigate into the HBC(where you can also use your GameCube controller in case you didn't know).
-BootMii/iso: you need to be in your HBC channel to activate... you need to go through the original system menu, so duhhh... not what we are trying to get done, it's counterintuitive.

8)You are going to choose "Install BootMii as boot2"
9)Some menacing runtime warnings will show up about violating your SD card, assuming it's in your Wii, click on "Yes, continue"
10)It'll write some files onto your SD card and ask you if you want to install BootMii/boot2 now, click on "Yes, continue" once more.
*The files installed are in a folder on the root of your SD card under:
SD Root\bootmii
*The bootmii folder is transferable, so you can put it in other SD's for your mods, so they as well can bypass system menu.
11)Some CMD prompts will show on screen writing and attacking those filthy NAND blocks 3 & 4, once it's done 'SUCCESS' should pop up, and click continue.
12)Hit "Return to the main menu"
13)Hit "Exit"
14)After reaching the HBC, turn off your Wii and turn it back on
15)The BootMii menu will pop up, going from left to right there are four options:

1 Most Left-Boot original Wii system menu.
2 Mid Left-Boot up to the HBC.
3 Mid Right-Load .dol from SD.
4 Most Right-BootMii settings.

Unmodded Wii's:
When following whatever guide you are reading to mod your Wii, when you are prompted to install HBC, install BootMii as well, so you have it from the Get-go.
You can load HackMii using Smashstacks as well, but sadly I never used Smashstacks so I have no experience there.

As some added bonuses, if the bootmii folder necessary to load the menu isn't found or does not work in any way, the disc drive's LED will flash once and the original system menu will load. Also, this extra menu doesn't replace the old one so it gives you a recovery option, technically making your wii unbrickable.

Letters in Orange are taken directly from http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Bootmii#Benefits to cite the second bonus above.

BootMii allows anything from Recovery modes (creating a practically unbrickable Wii), to lazy access of the Homebrew Channel. For example, if you have corrupted the System Menu, you can use DOP-Mii to reinstall the System Menu. Unfortunately, all homebrew currently require an IOS, because libogc requires one. However, there is Mini (a homebrew IOS-like software), which can be modified specifically for the program, ie, for better communication to the Linux kernel.

Last edited:

jacob91

Smash Cadet
For some reason the directions given to add 8 character names isn't working. I followed them exactly and have only been able to get it to work by fluke, not using the directions given.

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
For some reason the directions given to add 8 character names isn't working. I followed them exactly and have only been able to get it to work by fluke, not using the directions given.
Yeah i had the same issues (also why post it here, go to the 20XX melee thread), it'll work sometimes and sometimes not

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
yeah sorry, if ever find anything I'll report here.
But if you find a solution before me, please post it here so i can add it to the guide.
I reinstalled Bootmii and Homebrew channel and it was able to get fixed! If someone else has that problem, You should probably just tell them to reinstall them.

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
I reinstalled Bootmii and Homebrew channel and it was able to get fixed! If someone else has that problem, You should probably just tell them to reinstall them.
I'll put in the guide shortly after this post

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
I'll put in the guide shortly after this post
As a side note I thought might be necessary, I am using a Wii from 2009ish, so I don't know if this method of troubleshooting will work so easily with newer Wiis.

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
As a side note I thought might be necessary, I am using a Wii from 2009ish, so I don't know if this method of troubleshooting will work so easily with newer Wiis.
it almost never works with new wii's, they require special attention.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
DO NOT INSTALL THIS

MY WII JUST GOT BRICKED

**** THIS ****

e:

Use bootmii people

Last edited:

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
DO NOT INSTALL THIS

MY WII JUST GOT BRICKED

**** THIS ****

e:

Use bootmii people
Wow that really sucks man. I tried Priiloader, but it didn't make my Wii brick though. Maybe Achilles should just change the whole post just for Bootmii then. IMO, I feel like Priiloader is super outdated and unless it gets updated, it shouldn't be something recommended to people new to hacking their Wii since they would already be afraid of bricking their Wii.

Last edited:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Wow that really sucks man. I tried Priiloader, but it didn't make my Wii brick though. Maybe Achilles should just change the whole post just for Bootmii then. IMO, I feel like Priiloader is super outdated and unless it gets updated, it shouldn't be something recommended to people new to hacking their Wii since they would already be afraid of bricking their Wii.
Ok false alarm, kind of. I can still launch HBC and play but not the system menu. it says system files are corrupted

DRGN

Technowizard
Ok false alarm, kind of. I can still launch HBC and play but not the system menu. it says system files are corrupted
You should also be able to fix/replace the system menu with a WAD manager and original copies of the correct wads. I forget which wads the system menu is though. Afaik, it's nigh-impossible to brick your Wii with the techniques here. Unless you like, turn off your Wii while flashing the NAND or something.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
12) Hold Power Button to turn off Wii. Then turn on Wii normally and it should now boot straight to the Homebrew Channel.

Now you no longer need a Wiimote to start booting up your ISO files, as a GC controller (d-pad) can navigate the Homebrew Channel.

Apparently you can have it boot straight to a Homebrew app if you want, but I've never done this.
I have a pre-2008 Wii that let HackMii install BootMii (BootMii/boot2) without issue. Would it be possible to change my Wii so that it boots to the regular system menu instead of the BootMii menu? It's nbd, I just miss turning my Wii on and being greeted by the familiar white screen instead of a boring gray one aha.

EDIT: I realize that normal Wiis technically have the black warning screen before you press A to continue before the regular white system menu shows up, but...whatever lol.

EDIT2: Now that I think about it, I recall my friend freaking out when I nearly removed his Wii's SD card straight after it booted up (when it was on the gray BootMii screen). Are there actually any risks involved with removing the SD card during that screen (he wasn't sure; he was just worried there would be)? If that is the case, would having my Wii boot to the regular white system menu remove those risks?

Last edited:

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
I have a pre-2008 Wii that let HackMii install BootMii (BootMii/boot2) without issue. Would it be possible to change my Wii so that it boots to the regular system menu instead of the BootMii menu? It's nbd, I just miss turning my Wii on and being greeted by the familiar white screen instead of a boring gray one aha.

EDIT: I realize that normal Wiis technically have the black warning screen before you press A to continue before the regular white system menu shows up, but...whatever lol.

EDIT2: Now that I think about it, I recall my friend freaking out when I nearly removed his Wii's SD card straight after it booted up (when it was on the gray BootMii screen). Are there actually any risks involved with removing the SD card during that screen (he wasn't sure; he was just worried there would be)? If that is the case, would having my Wii boot to the regular white system menu remove those risks?
As far as I know, there should be no risk in removing the SD Card, also if you want your wii to stop booting to the BootMii menu, simply delete the bootmii folder in the root of the SD Card. BUT REMEMBER TO BACKUP THE FOLDER (i don't believe there is a way to get another, and at that point you just can't use bootmii anymore.)

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
As far as I know, there should be no risk in removing the SD Card, also if you want your wii to stop booting to the BootMii menu, simply delete the bootmii folder in the root of the SD Card. BUT REMEMBER TO BACKUP THE FOLDER (i don't believe there is a way to get another, and at that point you just can't use bootmii anymore.)
Thanks! Although...iirc I read somewhere that you could boot to the wii system menu with the gamecube controller working? My wii system menu still requires a wiimote. If I misread that and that isn't possible, could I get my Wii to boot up straight into the homebrew channel instead? (I really just don't like the BootMii screen lol...reminds me of the ugly PS2 ActionReplay menus heh).

And yup, I saved a backup of the BootMii folder thanks!

Top Bottom