• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
come over, man. i'm off tomorrow. i'll buy you food. or fill up your gas tank. or suck your junk like it were the last lollypop on earth.
Ooh man,I think...yeah, my dad grounded me. Dang, that is too bad

I'm down to play but apparently i don't have the wifi capable version yet. After i get it i'll let you know
Please do.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
i tried project m at fly amanita's place

it's actually really impressive

i want to play it more, i'm totally sold on how awesome it is

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
fly uses dedede mostly

he started messing around with lucario and explaining him a bit though, which is hilarious cuz it's basically like they said "hey we need a shoto in project m" and just put one in

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
i played project m online today. I had at least half a second of lag while my opponent said he had virtually no lag at all. It was overall a very painful and frustrating experience. I now remember why i hated playing brawl online back in the old days before I despised it. Playing a game like melee online when there's lag is worse though because it's so much more technical. ughhh

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
online play is alllll about the jank

this is from my brawl experience: it is good for learning the basics in certain matchups. you can learn how to beat the extra cheap strategies by waiting and picking your moves carefully. you learn which moves to use pre-emptively that can stuff other people's stuff. but reacting is nearly impossible if punishes or combos require strict timing. so u gotta resort to jankier stuff

because of this, online play will always peak at a certain level. i destroy snakes all the time offline with sheik, but online his frame traps are nearly impossible to escape

i'm sure for project M, online play can help u guys who have no access to real players, but only to a certain point. especially if the lag is as bad as you guys say.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i live in daly city almost permanently now hahahha :p

modesto only on random weekends that i wanna go home, see my family and friends, and do my laundry for free.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
hey guys... there's a small chance my roommate (and only real friend over here) will join the airforce or reenlist in the army because he can't find a job and would rather be military than work fast food.

if he joins mility again, i'm in a town i don't like with a mediocre job, no real savings, no real friends/family, no plans at all, etc.

my dad moved back to 209 a month ago and still hasn't found a job.

what are my options, bros?

edit: one idea i'm not too sure about, is to go to a random city (likely nyc) with a backpack and a duffel bag for belongings, a bedroll for sleeping outside, and a gym membership for shower access. i wouldn't have TOO much money so i think that would be an affordable life experience.

all ideas are welcome. :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm try asking reddit

i'm not really sure about life options because i have trouble with them myself

but ppl can help, and i'm sure there are better options than asking the modesto thread, even tho the modesto thread is the best

what are ur goals in life

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
if ya wanna stay amused, collect money as a street performer. Go to a city, watch the tourists go by, and perform for the world. Or if you don't wanna be a performer, you can watch the city life go by as a philosophical beggar. :D

or you could get lucky and get a job again somewhere that happens to not suck.

OR idk

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
thanks for the input. keep thinking. i like that. (but i don't know how to juggle or play an instrument) :/

and it's not that my job sucks... i just can't keep doing regular jobs.
i go stir crazy and start fantasizing about the top gun theme song playing while i take off my tie, throw my computer monitor across the room, and punch my boss in the face on my way to the exit.

i think i'm gonna go to new york and be a failed stand up comic for a while.
it just feels right.

edit: do you see any flaws in using a gym for their showers? i can't imagine they'd have anything against that, so long as a actually work out sometimes. it's much much cheaper than a hotel.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
u really cant find another place to live? man! :(

but yea gym membership actually sounds pretty crafty haha

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Yeah modesto people aren't the best to ask about living options haha. NYC sounds like it'd be an interesting experience. It also sounds like a very unpleasant one unless you can make enough money to actually afford to sleep somewhere other than a gutter. Eye opening none-the-less.

I can understand the hatred for mundane jobs where you do the same crap every day, and I'm not sure how I'll ever be able to deal with that. The options for avoiding those types of jobs are to:

A) Win the lottery/ inherit tons of money/ get rich quick and not have to worry about money ever again
B) Get a job that you enjoy
C) Switch jobs all the time
D) Become a street performer
E) Marry someone rich/famous (with your good looks Kenny I think this is your best option)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
or you can strive for excellence in the job you have. learn to love what is detestable. any man can make a great change in the world, but he must start where he is currently at, and bloom where he is planted.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I'd like to think that's true, but don't forget that Kenny is in Texas. What's he gonna bloom into, a cactus? He's way better off uprooting himself and moving to NY where he can become a genetically engineered orchid on some millionaires terrace.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
what i'm wondering though is how the heck he will get the money to move

i think even moving to a diff part of texas is good. i have a lot of friends in the dallas area and they seem to prosper over there.

nyc is crazy lol.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Yeah, joking aside I do think that nyc is crazy and probably a bad idea. I think it's one of those high risk, high reward things though. If Kenny wants to become a standup comic he'll either have to do it for a long time in a small city and hope to get noticed or go to a larger city where it'll be harder to make it but more likely to get noticed.

I can't think of a job that suits Kenny better either way. He was born to be a standup comic.

Top Bottom