• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
kenny's humor would be interesting in stand-up lol

i'm in the entertainment industry too. you kinda have to integrate what you want to express from your heart with what people WANT to hear. making it past the amateur stage means understanding the business aspect of entertainment... i've heard stand-up is hella rough because it's tough to get gigs and then actually make $$ from them. but as long as you believe in yourself and can entertain people, it's not difficult to just rise naturally.

an artist i really look up to right now is tori kelly. very modern. she was an american idol contestant, but she didn't even make it that far. she is HELLA good though and got popular by constantly putting videos on youtube and making connections with other popular artists, and now she sells her album online for really cheap ($5 and some limited signed cd's) and makes concerts. anything is possible.

Become a starcraft progamer Kenny and make it big. Go to Korea and live the dream. I'm joking.

You can sell anything, but starting up any sort of business / work is tough because MONEY MAKES MORE MONEY is the rule of the game

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
nyc might be a dangerous place to be poor, but i don't really have much to lose.
my most prized possession is my mattress. i've slept in some horrible places in my life and i am in love with my bed right now. other than that, i'm only worried about how to get food.

when it comes to stand up, the best approach i can think of is to get good in a medium size city before going to newyork. i'm in an 8 week training class at my job again. i basically do stand up for a little bit every day. even at lunch, i hold court in the cafeteria. i rarely get an ego boost greater than hearing a new person being brought to my area while being told "you gotta hear this guy. he's hilarious" or some variation of that.

my goal is to remain authentic and genuine to myself. in trying to compensate for my initial bombing, my second time trying stand up i was too jokey. i did much much better, but it felt like i was trying to hard. the obvious punches got decent laughter, but my unprepared remarks and character was why i did as well as i did. even if they couldn't always know what the punch would be, i felt like they could tell when it was coming. like i was just copying the stand ups i grew up watching. i only want to say what feels natural and i'm more than fine with everyone being silent for a few moments. there doesn't have to be a standard "set 'em up, knock 'em down" laugh every 12 seconds.

i enjoy talking so much. weaving jokes into conversation garners much more satisfaction than giving an obvious one-two combo. i laugh at my own jokes a lot. it's more about me having fun than making people laugh. it's more fun when they laugh, but i require no one's approval. i would never grant a crowd the power to ruin my day, so i'm never going to have a pandering stand up career as a business savvy "go getter". i'm just going to keep myself amused.

i don't expect to "make it" and that's something that should be on your minds when you talk about how rough it might be to make money doing gigs. i probably have as much fun harassing people in public from a safe distance as i would doing a middle spot at a local comedy club.

but one thing still stands. i would rather be the worst comic at the show, than the funniest guy in the office. it's much easier to make a noose out of a necktie than it is to sit in place and irritate myself for eight hours a day. eventually i'll write "employee of the month" on the mirror in the bathroom at work with blood from my open throat.

all this coming from a guy who has gotten "trainee of the week" in every single training class i've had at this job (including this one).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
interesting man

be sure to log updates here in the best thread in the world

and we'll be sure to log how big our logs get

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
What?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
he randomly gave me a sandwich at wcsl back in like '08.
there were a couple times where i hung out with him.
i wanna say quakfest or zhu's house. also modesto. also an ncb, i think.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
dude... i think a mod changed my picture.

i guess it violated someone's personal views.
i ain't even mad, though.
looks cool.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
just watched "the wizard of oz" and realized that toto has been sentenced to death by the sheriff.

some happy ending...

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Didn't that lady who was gonna have the dog put to death die in the storm or something though? I mean, if she's not around anymore than who's gonna press charges? I think Toto lived. The lady who's bitten by a dog later gets killed in a storm. Sounds like a happy ending to me.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
"you mean tito. toto's what we ate for dinner last night." - detective james carter

You mean Tito! Toto is what we ate for dinner last night!

in the movie, everything that happened between dorothy getting injured and waking up was a dream. this means miss gulch flying on her bike in the cyclone before transforming into the wicked witch of the west on a broom was a dream.

here are things that really happen:
- toto bites the gulch's leg (claimed gulch)
- gulch has a lot of pull due to how much land she owns (claimed auntie em)
- the sheriff signed some type of order allowing gulch to collect toto and "make sure he's destroyed" (orders presented by gulch and confirmed by uncle henry)
- stating that they can't go against law, auntie em and uncle henry hand toto over to gulch
- toto escapes from captivity and goes back to dorothy's side

no more mention is made to acknowledge the fate of miss gulch or toto.
she doesn't strike me as a person who would give up on what she sees as justice.
it is safe to assume that toto was hanged in front of the courthouse sometime in 1939.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
or that toto bit her in the leg over and over and then she died of rabies/blood loss/what have you.

happy endings never say die

Top Bottom