• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
for some reason i don't have any inclination to try project m.

it's just like when this thread goes on about pokemon or starcraft stuff.

am i really missing out on yet another version of smash?

for some reason i don't have any inclination to try project m.

it's just like when this thread goes on about pokemon or starcraft stuff.

am i really missing out on yet another version of smash?
Melee but with brawl characters pretty much. At least you can pretend it's melee with souped up graphics if you're not interested in the new characters.

I'll show you guys how it's done

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
but doesn't the engine feel different?

they sped up brawl and messed with all the properties, but how can it feel like melee?
i guess if i tried it, i would be able to comprehend such a claim (that i don't think anyone made).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i wasn't interested either, but i played it and it was really fun. ofc i care more about winning in melee though

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
it's out of reach for me to ever play it, but i'm not too eager.

i don't know if i'll ever recover from the heartbreak melee caused me in the past.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Project M is basically melee with more stages that would be considered tournament legal, a few extra characters, and slightly better graphics. The thing that really makes project m interesting for me is that it's like melee which I already know how to play (don't really need to put in time learning tech skill stuff) but every character is viable.

Or maybe it's just that I'm tired of many a ****ty character in melee lol

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
Imagine a melee where every character is high or top tier, with a few new advance techniques and subpar online play (you can't fix everything)

There are a couple things that feel a little off. There is a 1 frame delay on some things that make things like wave shining feel a tad bit sticky, wave dashing out of shield has different timing, and tethering is different.

But there is improved balance, new interesting characters with unique abilities, and since we all just started playing, it resets things a little. I wasn't around for most of melee, but I am here now and can learn along with everyone else. It is a clean slate but all I need to learn are undiscovered techniques and tactics.

And most importantly, I have a ****ing blast playing it

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha. it's not a TOTAL reset. i have fundamentals with fox, marth, and peach, who are largely unchanged, so it was a pretty smooth transition. i also played bowser in brawl, and he's freaking AMAZING in p:m so i'm hyped to play nick in some bowser vs zelda lol. nick prepare for me to crawl right through your din's traps BAHAHAH.

it's the really new characters that get to me. toon, ike, and sonic are all really strange and will take some getting used to. i heard toon is really really good, but i have yet to play a solid toon player haha

but yeah, i think i'm naturally good at P:M because i play both melee and brawl. i think that's also why lucien and hostility were doing really well at the fuddruckers tournament. it is really a brilliant mix

i bet melee players will forget about options like pivot grabbing, and brawl players will lack execution. but if you play both...

haha. it's not a TOTAL reset. i have fundamentals with fox, marth, and peach, who are largely unchanged, so it was a pretty smooth transition. i also played bowser in brawl, and he's freaking AMAZING in p:m so i'm hyped to play nick in some bowser vs zelda lol. nick prepare for me to crawl right through your din's traps BAHAHAH.

it's the really new characters that get to me. toon, ike, and sonic are all really strange and will take some getting used to. i heard toon is really really good, but i have yet to play a solid toon player haha

but yeah, i think i'm naturally good at P:M because i play both melee and brawl. i think that's also why lucien and hostility were doing really well at the fuddruckers tournament. it is really a brilliant mix

i bet melee players will forget about options like pivot grabbing, and brawl players will lack execution. but if you play both...
Using the brawl ATs in combination with melee ones is too good. Falco's grab game is pretty ridiculous with the dash attack cancel pivot grab.

I like glide tossing with peach. I don't remember if you could pull a turnip in melee while keeping your momentum so it's pretty good for keepaway and approaching.

Have you guys figured out how to play lucario? He feels so strange especially with the "traditional" fighter changes they made to him

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, P:M is quite cool. I think I remember you saw my fb post about it, huh, Chok?

Mainly my initial reaction was, "Zelda has moves!!" lol. If you thought my Zelda is good in Melee, she's godlike in P:M. It's so incredible to have an entire moveset of useful moves, and being able to engage in more than like two ways, lol.

GK, I I'm not sure yet if she's actually too good, or if we're just getting used to the contrast of her abilities before. Also, I think Falco is still really good. I was beating D.P. consistently at first, but then he moved to constantly running with lasers, and poking. Then we went even. I swear a character with that good of mobility shouldn't also have the best projectile, lol. XD

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Yeah I'm sure the fact that she's ten times better than she was in melee is giving me some false impressions about her (and i haven't even played anyone that good yet) but it really feels like she's at least A tier.

There's something I've been thinking about recently and I'd like some input about it. Let's assume that all characters are fairly balanced in the future do to changes and whatnot. Since zelda and sheik are 2 characters in 1, wouldn't that actually make her the best character in the game since you can switch at the start of a game depending on who you're fighting against? It seems like zelda and sheik would both need slight nerfs or separated and made into different characters to keep it truly balanced. I wouldn't want to see either of those options happen and I don't think they will, but that leaves sheik/zelda as a combined character at S tier for sure IMO. Since zelda is so much better now and plays significantly different than sheik you can essentially eliminate most bad matchups by switching. I still think that S tier characters that are good against both will give them some trouble but even then I think the worst matchups would probably be 45/55

TvH

Smash Rookie
Sooooo since Stockton doesn't have any thing I might as well post here. Anyone trying to play over this summer?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha zelda/sheik has always been a legit strat in both games, but in melee zelda was really bad. in brawl, it was a legit strat, but they were both kinda low tier and both of them still lost certain matchups like rob and mk.

in p:m i think zelda seems much better than sheik so far, from what i've seen.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I think sheik is still a very good character. No chaingrabs took her down a bit but she's definitely still up there.

@TvH: There pretty much isn't anyone playing in modesto these days either. Most people who post here aren't in modesto at all. I'm down to play occasionally though. I actually live in ripon so it's not quite as far of a drive.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
speaking of melee,
i just had an hour long conversation with a friend about whether or not she should have an abortion...
i actually had a strong opinion but i was very careful and prevented any kind of influence. i don't like the idea of having anything to do with a decision like that. lol

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
speaking of abortion,
i just had an hour long conversation with a friend about whether or not he should use Isai Shield Drops in the game...
i actually had a strong opinion but i was very careful and prevented any kind of influence. i don't like the idea of having to do with a decision like that. lol

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
speaking of abortion in melee, i falcon punched peach as she pulled out a bob-omb so it didn't fare well for either of us

TvH

Smash Rookie
@TvH: There pretty much isn't anyone playing in modesto these days either. Most people who post here aren't in modesto at all. I'm down to play occasionally though. I actually live in ripon so it's not quite as far of a drive.
Damn.... yea well this is Troy btw if you and Andre didn't notice. I hope i can find someone to spar against over the summer...

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Oh LOL, I didn't realize. Well yeah modesto smash is kinda dead. We''ll definitely play a few times during summer though

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
AHHHHH DOTEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

we gonna play some pm when i get back, i'm curious what it's like

Sooooo since Stockton doesn't have any thing I might as well post here. Anyone trying to play over this summer?
maybe when i get back we'll do some stuff

p.s. where do you live mang

nick take me with ya to see this guy

speaking of melee,
i just had an hour long conversation with a friend about whether or not she should have an abortion...
i actually had a strong opinion but i was very careful and prevented any kind of influence. i don't like the idea of having anything to do with a decision like that. lol
yeesh, that's a loaded decision. best way to help somebody like that is to make them say what they want and then tell them how they can get what they want.

speaking of abortion in melee, i falcon punched peach as she pulled out a bob-omb so it didn't fare well for either of us
classic

haha

i am modesto smash
only until i get back

I AM MODESTO

...but not smash, I don't smash :(
maybe this is true

spenser we shoudl play pocket monsters
i'm down to do that sometime

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
look at all those quotes. he's on fire.

calm down spence. this isn't a crew battle.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i dont have it :( i only play it with homies in pleasanton

if i did play you though

i would pick bowser and crouch the whole time under the little spire on hyrule castle 64.... GODLIKE

Top Bottom