• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

MacD

Banned via Administration
I'm paying 40 for 45min right now which is a deal considering my teach just finished grab school, of course depending on where you live, the price will change, irvine can be more expensive cause it's irive

back home i was paying roughly the same price (maybe 35? for 45min) and back home i just needed a teacher who could help me get started since i was soooo bad

dang, i wish i could learn the piano, but between being lazy etc i swear i'm never going to, i barely have to time practice singing let alone smash or hw or anything lol, i might hit you up over the summer spenser... but i assume you're going home which means i can't :(

but it looks like a 2nd job might actually be fine since instead of sitting at home and not studying, i could go make money, i rarely study, idk how i'm getting by, i really need to fix that :/ now all i gotta do is find some place in irvine that'll hire white people

wow this got really long... ummm go modesto!!! smash is too good etc or something

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
NICK WHAT WHO IS RIDING WITH YOU AND WHEN ARE YOU GOING
please respond... please... or call anthony
that'd work

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I'm paying 40 for 45min right now which is a deal considering my teach just finished grab school, of course depending on where you live, the price will change, irvine can be more expensive cause it's irive

back home i was paying roughly the same price (maybe 35? for 45min) and back home i just needed a teacher who could help me get started since i was soooo bad

dang, i wish i could learn the piano, but between being lazy etc i swear i'm never going to, i barely have to time practice singing let alone smash or hw or anything lol, i might hit you up over the summer spenser... but i assume you're going home which means i can't :(

but it looks like a 2nd job might actually be fine since instead of sitting at home and not studying, i could go make money, i rarely study, idk how i'm getting by, i really need to fix that :/ now all i gotta do is find some place in irvine that'll hire white people

wow this got really long... ummm go modesto!!! smash is too good etc or something
yeah, i'm goin back over summer...mang you could hit me up NOW though, the problem is no piano to practice/give lessons on...but that gives me a legit excuse to go somewhere that has a piano, plus I frankly couldn't bring myself to charge someone I knew personally *wink wink*, so that's the only concern as far as that goes. it's also that I don't really have a structured lesson plan in mind, and I wouldn't want to charge for a subpar product, so to speak.

also those voice lessons are pretty pricey tbh, although because this is irvine you'd expect a higher price for things like that. plus location is also relevant when you're choosing a teacher, convenience enters into our minds far more than it should when choosing a teacher to go to. To learn basics of an instrument generally the experience of the teacher isn't very important, but piano is one of those things where having a bad teacher can result in bad habits that take years to fix...assuming you get serious about learning it, of course. bad technique won't matter unless you NEED that good technique to play more serious pieces :3

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
are we just using falco as the scope? Considering SW's is OF only falco I think we have to.

And I thnk if that is the case, then there is NO question. It's SilentWolf's.

To put it short, he demonstrates a level of tech skill in 20-30 seconds what lovage does throughout his entire video. SW then goes on to surpass that with so much more precession and detail.
I also like the presentation, lovage did everything with a fixed camera on 3 (maybe 4) stages. SW, in spite of the dynamics of the stage outlays, performed on 8 (or so) stages, most of which arent legal because of it. (He used a frikken' stage exclusively in adventure mode, for crying out loud!!!)
Even though it wasnt part of the critique, I liked how SW switched in different falcos/outfits inbetween some segments.

I would be hella surprised if following posts werent unanimous.

Not necessarily saying sw has better tech, seeing that lovage didnt know he was being compared to sw. For all I know he could do everything sw did and then some.
. . . but yeah, AMAZING ****. Both of you.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
NICK WHAT WHO IS RIDING WITH YOU AND WHEN ARE YOU GOING
please respond... please... or call anthony
that'd work
Yeah sorry for not figuring this **** out earlier. Idk when i'll be able to leave tmw yet so i can't say anything for sure, but i've got 4 seats open so i guess i'm taking you, anthony, and whoever else needs a ride and is on the way. RJ lives right next to KFC so i don't need to give him a ride... adaias or andre can get a ride if they wanna go too. So can Keith for that matter if he's up to it.

And I wasn't aware that SW had a new techskill video, although I've already seen lovage's vid at least twice. Idk, I liked both a lot although yeah, I'd have to say SW's was a bit more creative and interesting to watch

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
thanks for responding haha

idk about adaias and andre.
keith and/or anthony will most likely go too.

idk when you're planning on going but i'll be down whenever. in fact, if for some really cool reason you wanna go before i'm awake, come get me at ketih's house and knock on the door or ring the bell.
or just call anthony and make him do that stuff.

i'm really eager to smash if you can't tell.
but i know if i set my alarm ima end up bored for hella hours before we go. haha

yayuhzz. jpeg said he's gonna try to be there by 1ish. (he'll prolly be a little later than that, i'd assume)

anyway, i'll check the boards and/or call you when i wake up to see what's up.

edit: ADAIAS SHOULD GO TOO

Miztik

Smash Master
Yeah sorry for not figuring this **** out earlier. Idk when i'll be able to leave tmw yet so i can't say anything for sure, but i've got 4 seats open so i guess i'm taking you, anthony, and whoever else needs a ride and is on the way. RJ lives right next to KFC so i don't need to give him a ride... adaias or andre can get a ride if they wanna go too. So can Keith for that matter if he's up to it.
umm what time did you plan on leaving and when did you plan on coming back? if your gunna stay hella late i wont go

thanks for responding haha

idk about adaias and andre.
keith and/or anthony will most likely go too.

idk when you're planning on going but i'll be down whenever. in fact, if for some really cool reason you wanna go before i'm awake, come get me at ketih's house and knock on the door or ring the bell.
or just call anthony and make him do that stuff.
like i said depend on the times i may or may not go, kieth is in the same boat we both dont want to get back hella late so yea...

MacD

Banned via Administration
well now i've been doing lessons for 2 years i think, so i need a more legit teacher

but piano i kinda know, like i know the basics from like when i was 11 taking lessons, but not like much stuck, i can pick my way through anything in C major or any simple key change

i think mainly i need to just practice my fingers moving and learning how to read other keys... one day i swear i'll learn all this

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
reading key signatures is easy :3

being able to sightread is harder

I guess a good way to start is to buy a book of hanon's 60 virtuoso exercises (you won't go past the first two or three for quite a while :D they're pretty difficult) and trying to play through them slowly with a metronome (probably going to want to start probably at around M.M.=72, treating it as 8/8, hands separately at first)

getting your fingers moving while keeping your technique up is the most important part, but the technique is the hard part...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
kinda like getting good at melee

i texted my mom if i can go to stockton tonight, i dunno if she'll let me. if i do go, it'll be 7 at the earliest LOL

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
that's all the basics you need to know!

big thing is keeping your wrists straight AND loose at the same time, otherwise you might tense up at particularly inopportune times, and playing through that tension can cause long-term wrist damage...

poor palafrak the valiant :(

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
i didn't...

then again, i didn't know it either for a loooooooong time. it took that happening to him for me to learn of it, then i did a bit of looking around and found other pianists who had their careers killed through various things related to hypertension, one of the most common problems :(

it's a sad, sad story :(

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Smashfest today was fun, thanks for having us over JR. I still need a teams partner for Merced though. Spenser, hook me up

Foy

Smash Champion
Oh hey guys. Having a smashfest at my house tomorrow. Show up.

>_> But fo real, i going to have like a party/smashfest at my house sometime inthe summer so find cheap plane tickets and get out here.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
yeah, smashfest was perrty dam good for me, as well.
I found out that no matter how many things that I think have changed about my game, JR will still be there to crush my hopes and dreams =D

Shoutouts

Nick: Good **** in teams, man! We did hella good against the two scrubs who think theyre winning ucm
Stop Fairing in openings where more dmg can be done. Might have been just nerves, but I could have sworn, while you were playing singles vs me n others and teams, I saw like 6-7 instances where the other guy was at like 90-100% and was recovering from landing from a upb/sideb ONTO the stage right in front of you, and you would just fair them instead of going for an easier option (fsmash mostly). iono, just my twocents for stuff to work on in the future.

Kenny: Great seeing you again, buddy. Always a pleasure. And it's always fun talking about how great you are at melee.
Stop not playing at the level were playing in that MM; some good pressure/abuse being given my way.

RJ (i think): Haha, get ***** by button mashing in SF4! Sagat too gud!
Stop wanting cat ****. . . .nuff' said

JR: thanks a butt load to you n ur parents for having us over. Means a lot. im actually surprised you didnt bust out the maple story, tbh. = p
Stop being able to grab a hold of a random char like samus or sheik being able to grasp good tech skill with them. Its tooo good. I think our samus falcon set count was like 2-2 today (maybe 2-3 in ur favor). I'll have to change that and start dominating that matchup again. not enough knee today. See ya in a couple weeks.

Joon: holy crapz, im sorry. I completely forgot to call you about this.
Stop not texting me on the daily!
Hows classes lookin? Calc again?

And yeah foy, I'll come down for the smashfest. Just teleport me overthere and i can just. . . . . . OOOOO! WAIT A MINUTE . . . . .

Foy

Smash Champion
xD random **** at 4 in the morning for you guys.

Yo Chok, im officially going to main ics since i was up in Roch this past weekend and ended up doing decent against the top ranking kids in the area.

Cept zeldas still, iunno whats up with that? Its like you hating IC's vs ganon i think....

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol but ganon is actually a hard matchup :p

for zelda just play regular and u should win. like, if u reach a certain level with ic's, she just shouldn't be a problem anymore unless ur playing the best zelda in the world lol. ic's speed shuts her down. or if ur fly, u can shut her down with camping.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
hey guys

best pickup line I've ever read, ever

"Roses are red, violets are blue, I'll **** you with a rake"

also, coming hard onto a girl physically and saying "Relax! I'll pay for the first abortion"

god teamliquid is horrible sometimes XD

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
Joon: holy crapz, im sorry. I completely forgot to call you about this.
Stop not texting me on the daily!
Hows classes lookin? Calc again?
wow... you're wack. haha i wanted to play joon too. (COOLEST NAME EVER: JOON)

john, i wish i played the whole day like i played when that $1 was on the line.
i didn't think only a dollar would add pressure, but now i see the truth.
it's not about the money. it's about the set meaning something even if it won't the second it's over.
i actually tried really hard in that set and i felt much better despite how shaky i get when something "matters". anyway, your reads are amazing and you forcibly penetrate me in teams.

nick, stop feeling like you're not playing well and you will play well.
you're a lot like me in that sense. we need to ignore our matches with jr in the beginning so the rest of the day won't have to be an uphill battle with our self esteem.

jr. we're winning. i just can't play you in singles right before the tourney. haha
my parents ;_;

is there another time i can come and play w/ jr haha
1. can i go with you if you go to jr's?
2. can i come over some time this week?
3. can me nick and hopefully others come over on thursday or friday?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
haha those are the days nick can't do anything

what time? (not today)
if you don't wanna play at keith's, i'll go to your house.
just sucks because bus takes a long time or you'd have to give me a ride. (both are inconvenient)

adaias, smash with us.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
my parents are taking my car to get the tires replaced tomorrow, so i cant go anywhere even if i wanted to

Top Bottom