• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
ok

just something i was thinking about earlier that i thought u guys would like to discuss, since modesto is definately my favorite city of smashers <3

i noticed alot of newer players have been watching silentspectre,zhu,dashizwiz, mew2king and all that registers in their noob mind is the cool combos and gimps that they did

they think to themself, "hey, if all the greatest players can do cool combos, then if i can do cool combos, ill be really good too, right?"

alot of newer players should realize that in order to get good, you need to work on your basics first, and then build up into a more complicated style. because if you're a noob who starts off watching 2009 metagame, you really wont learn ANYTHING but combos.

the noob player will play the "average" player and get wrecked. why? because the "average" player has a good knowledge on what to do, and what not to do.

this is why a certain player in modesto who doesnt even play melee anymore remains as the best player in modesto (andre) because he sticks to what works.

sure the noob player will do things that work a majority of the time, but they also get these urges to do random cool things that wont help them at all

andre comes from an age of melee where the only important part of technical skill was not missing L-cancels, and the winning came from good reads. (because combos at the average level werent that impressive, and the average combo nowadays by far is more awesome than the high tier combo's back in 05)

in order to get really good, you need to fully utilize your basics. (what works)

ive played marths who will fthrow my fox at 50% towards the stage. i ask them, "why do you fthrow me and try to fsmash, when i always tech away?

they reply: idk, i get these random urges to fthrow... but i always TRY to uthrow, i swear!

really? you pressed up on the control stick and it made you fthrow me? ok...

get rid of those random urges
example:
"i knew you were going to hit me if i recovered towards you, but i did it anyways."
then why in the world did you recover towards me, when you could easily recover above me and avoid my charged fsmash?
get rid of your random urges, noob. they will destroy you 90% more than help you

look at ken and mango... none of them have ridiculous INSANE combos, but they were the best players in the world at one point, yes?

ken with his amazing dashdancing, spacing, pressure, and chaingrabs

mango with his ability to read and control his opponent with good pressure and spacing

ill post more when more stuff comes to mind

MacD

Banned via Administration
truth be told, that's one reason i'm good too

zhu (zhus zhu's so he can name searach and see this, lol) has said it many times, my combo's are stupid and simple and i just do what works, i don't try and do this fancy insta float things and random crazy stuff, obviously i've still got lots to learn but you see where i am and all it is is a simple playstyle

i mean people are like dash attack < dash attack < fair is a dumb combo but it works, i just hit people and try to edge guard (andre knows about my edge guarding)

but i like this theory, lots of stuff now is all fancy, but like in all things you need to learn the basics first

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
MANGO IS SO GOOD AT WINNING
not combos. i bet most beginners don't enjoy mango's videos on youtube.
i know if i watched what i'm seeing a year ago, i'd be bored.
i would just think the other guy sucks.
mango isn't extra flashy or technical (maybe his fox. lol idk).
he's just good. spacing and reads make him the best, IMO.

everything you just said is directed at my fox. lmao
at least i'm aware of it :(

JR YOU MAKE ME BETTER AT MELEE
no joke. why the **** didn't i smother you with offers of friendlies?!

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i don't try and do this fancy insta float
LMAO gawd **** i would think you sucked at this game if you weren't better than me.
i agree though. this conversation is really motivating me to play sheik.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
to JR:

well, the new generation of "average" has kinda all leaned toward one thing... look at the new generation of foxes these days... sfat, c0nn0r, lovage, replicate, stuff like that... i know they are all pretty good, but when i first started watching them i could only see them as "generic" because they all looked the same to me: aggressive and very technical.

i think that seems to be the general apporach to 'increasing your skill level' these days. they rely on their tech skill and mixups in order to win. mango does this as well, and perhaps they are just shadows of smarter aggressive foxes like mango and lucky, but the reason they don't do as well is because they forget the aspect of mindgames and defense and stuff like that. it's as if their whole metagame is based on perfecting their aggressive games and using mixups to win, basically staying aggressive the whole time

i think working on spacing, mindgames and stuff (basically which is how i improved back when i played fta often at TGE) under tournament pressure builds a MUCH MORE solid and effective foundation. u gain patience and composure

however, i think the new gen approach to improvement... it's not bad either. it's just less consistent and less solid, and they can't really pull off things that older players can. however, at the same time, the older players have to keep up with their speed and tech skill. for example i play ic's who can punish hard but i have lots of trouble with drillshine spamming foxes or falcos who can actually l-cancel against me

basically i like to think of it this way:

older players are like old men in the park, playing chess. they will never be beaten by a little kid

but when a kid changes the game to a running race, the old man knows he can do it, but in the end he doesnt have the ability

the solution is to be come a manly man who can do both and win :)

edit:

jr i liked ur update, it is good that u are making an effort to talk about high level smash unlike me who knows about it but spams about random crap all the time :)

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
to JR:

well, the new generation of "average" has kinda all leaned toward one thing... look at the new generation of foxes these days... sfat, c0nn0r, lovage, replicate, stuff like that... i know they are all pretty good, but when i first started watching them i could only see them as "generic" because they all looked the same to me: aggressive and very technical.

i think that seems to be the general apporach to 'increasing your skill level' these days. they rely on their tech skill and mixups in order to win. mango does this as well, and perhaps they are just shadows of smarter aggressive foxes like mango and lucky, but the reason they don't do as well is because they forget the aspect of mindgames and defense and stuff like that. it's as if their whole metagame is based on perfecting their aggressive games and using mixups to win, basically staying aggressive the whole time

i think working on spacing, mindgames and stuff (basically which is how i improved back when i played fta often at TGE) under tournament pressure builds a MUCH MORE solid and effective foundation. u gain patience and composure

however, i think the new gen approach to improvement... it's not bad either. it's just less consistent and less solid, and they can't really pull off things that older players can. however, at the same time, the older players have to keep up with their speed and tech skill. for example i play ic's who can punish hard but i have lots of trouble with drillshine spamming foxes or falcos who can actually l-cancel against me

basically i like to think of it this way:

older players are like old men in the park, playing chess. they will never be beaten by a little kid

but when a kid changes the game to a running race, the old man knows he can do it, but in the end he doesnt have the ability

the solution is to be come a manly man who can do both and win :)
andre u are totally right.

the "old man" in smash knows that he has to keep up with the metagame

he will do this by applying what he knows of the game with technical consistency AND... watching youtube and being prepared xD

nah but really, the older generation will almost always stay ontop of the game and always keep a positive record vs newer generation players, IF hes smart and knows how to adapt (exception: mango)

like in school, if u dont wear jansport backpacks, u arent cool! hahaha

Pepsibeatzc0ke

Smash Rookie
no love for me lumpy? I'm their lackey/shauffer

Modesto was so much fun! Everyone gave me great matches.

Miztik.... good matches lol, next time we meed we need to do our badkid fox set k?

Mechaboozer.... awesome teams with me man ^_^

D4DY..... I can't wait to play you again.

Park.... our Marth vs Falco matches were pretty **** epic =P

Jr.... **** dude you still ****... teach me sensei!

Hiro.... for a guy who hasnt played for very long.... you are very scary when you have nana on the stage with you... brush up your single climber game though.

Richard... nice sexy falcon you got there =P

Nick... your zelda.... how the **** do I play against a zelda? lol xD good stuff

Bluefox+Nick.... screw you asshats, see you tomorrow.

Lumpy... I want my revenge! we need to do superhardcore friendlies!

Everyone else who's names I forgot... nice tourney =P

Can't wait for the next modesto smashfest =P

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i want one of those "generic" foxes lol
i'm... almost... there...

i do have a decent peach.
i have habits and flaws like everyone esle, but i'm looking for them.
honestly, i used secondaries too much at the smashfest.
i should've stuck to peach for an optimum learning experience.
i guess i was happy to have a secondary or two i could actually use against someone i don't play every day with out being force fed a 4stock sandwich...

no love for me lumpy? I'm their lackey/shauffer
i didn't mean to exclude you and i didn't do "shout outs" lol
i know we played in teams but i don't remember if we did singles or not.
but yes, all of you should come back to modesto very VERY soon.

edit: ANDRE!!!! the reason i want you to play melee more isn't so i have someone else to play or because you're fun to hangout with. the main reason is a selfish one. i know i can/will/have learned more from you than from anyone else left in modesto. (no offense, *****es)

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Wow, I really need to post more often (probably the 3rd or 4th time I've said it)

Nick... your zelda.... how the **** do I play against a zelda? lol xD good stuff
Haha, seems like that's the reason i get half of my wins... a lot of players are so used to practicing against higher tiered characters that they don't entirely know what to expect. lol

And yeah lumpy, I only got to play you in teams. Now that I think about it, the only time i've ever played you in singles was that one set at Xilos going away smashfest. Next time for sure, I really wanna play your peach...

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
And yeah lumpy, I only got to play you in teams. Now that I think about it, the only time i've ever played you in singles was that one set at Xilos going away smashfest. Next time for sure, I really wanna play your peach...
OOOH YEAH
i remember...
jmic said he'd give me 2 bucks if i could "do something cool" against your puff with fox. lol
i was trying all this shine->anything crap. lol

yeah, start playing with me, anthony, and jamie.
(or just me ;))

Miztik

Smash Master
after playing alot yesterday i feel that falcon is my best secondary idky but i played better with my falcon than i did with jiggs =( even my marth is better than my jiggs imo =(((((((

anyways all this smash talk is making me hott...

umm yea..what you and andre posted jr is was good reading sucks i cant really respond to it at the moment, im too tired think of good response lol

edit:

yea nick play us more or something

man idk **** this im going to bed

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
gawd dammit... i really need to start looking for a lame fast food job.
(prolly the only kind i can get these days...)

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
after playing alot yesterday i feel that falcon is my best secondary idky but i played better with my falcon than i did with jiggs =( even my marth is better than my jiggs imo =(((((((

anyways all this smash talk is making me hott...

umm yea..what you and andre posted jr is was good reading sucks i cant really respond to it at the moment, im too tired think of good response lol

edit:

yea nick play us more or something

man idk **** this im going to bed
i will mm your falcon with my kirby when I come back from school. no joke.

and man i wanna play with you guyssssssssssssssss

I didn't have a jansport backpack in school... :(

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
you're in for a treat.
my falcon got 4stocked by d4dy's falco!

when i get 4stocked by anyone other than brandon, i tend to brag about it for them. lol

realistically, brandon's 4stocked me around 102 times, i think...

Miztik

Smash Master
i think ky is coming to my house on tuesday. ask him to pick u guys up xD

start saving up money for gas *****es
LOL why woould he come to modesto get us then go to stockton then drive back to modesto??? plus i have work

i will mm your falcon with my kirby when I come back from school. no joke.

and man i wanna play with you guyssssssssssssssss

I didn't have a jansport backpack in school... :(
um maybe idk

also ive had the same jansport backpack for about 4 years now lol they are soo good cuz they last

MacD

i've had my jansport backpack since 7th grade, it's lasted me forever, i was going to buy a new one but i couldn't find anything as simple as the one i have so i didn't

andre, i can't wait for people to realize you don't suck and that we're gonna **** in teams

Park0o

Smash Ace
man dude. I need to play someone on thursday. who wants to play???

i learned that i need to play more.

ps kfc is cool

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
we SHOULD try some s64 stuff

unfortunately no one in modesto is really into 64 at all in a competitive sense...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it's because my copy of the game stopped working years ago, and i gave away my n64

otherwise i'd try to get really good at it..

do you have it?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I have a 64 and a ****load of controllers (some of which work, some of which don't)

next time, I will bring it somewhere so that we can mess around with it LOL

or someone could shell out $10 for it on wii VC lol

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
it's relatively cheap

and definitely worth it if you enjoy playing it

like buying and playing starcraft

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha from nintendo website

"Nintendo's Virtual Console is making the greatest video game archive in history available for Wii. Download many of your favorite NES, SNES, N64, Arcade, Commodore 64, NEOGEO, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System and TurboGrafx 16 titles and relive those happy memories all over again on Wii. Here's how to get started…"

MacD

hey lumpy, i have a question, if you still have the videos from jr's smashfest and some free time, maybe you could help me out

i want to see like a match or 2 vs meep's marth, a match or 2 vs jr's fox + marth, and like a match or 2 vs any other characters i played against, ie like ericson's (or anyone's) falcon, falco, jiggz, and peach (paul's if possible)

i know it's probably kinda a lot of work and stuff, but i really want to know what i do against marths, foxes and falcos and what i need to fix, the other's are just for more reference, but if i had to pick my top characters i'd pick marth, fox, falco, and shiek

please please please and thanks

=D

EDIT: i totally forgot about shiek, she is an important match up too me right now too

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha yea i just realized kenny has a LOT of match videos recorded on vhs

man i wanna see some =\

MacD

oh oh, i know, you can watch them, pick out good ones of me that i can learn from, whether it's something i need to do more or do less, and then you write down the times and then be like kenny, these matches k

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa, good plan

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
man dude. I need to play someone on thursday. who wants to play???

i learned that i need to play more.

ps kfc is cool
i will. i need to play more too. but you might need to remind me cuz i'll forget.
hey lumpy, i have a question, if you still have the videos from jr's smashfest and some free time, maybe you could help me out

i want to see like a match or 2 vs meep's marth, a match or 2 vs jr's fox + marth, and like a match or 2 vs any other characters i played against, ie like ericson's (or anyone's) falcon, falco, jiggz, and peach (paul's if possible)

i know it's probably kinda a lot of work and stuff, but i really want to know what i do against marths, foxes and falcos and what i need to fix, the other's are just for more reference, but if i had to pick my top characters i'd pick marth, fox, falco, and shiek

please please please and thanks

=D

EDIT: i totally forgot about shiek, she is an important match up too me right now too
that's kind of a lot to do. i have to literally watch 8 hours straight of smash. lol
then to upload them decently requires a trick i'm only close to learning.
i promise, i want to look through them all and upload a lot of them.
and you posting is just one more excuse to do it.
haha yea i just realized kenny has a LOT of match videos recorded on vhs

man i wanna see some =\
lol you are asking kenny a big favor

get that 1000 posts mccain!
only a big favor if he wants them up really soon. other than that, it's something i was already planning on doing.

Miztik

Smash Master
SUP *****ES!!!!

So basically part one and two of operation smash with jr/go to tourneys more is in full affect and have been completed

here is the goal/plan/operation or whatever

1. Get a job (done start work tomorrow)

2. Finally get my permit (done ***** that test today)

3. Get a car (pretty much done; cuz ima be using my stepdad honda cuz he wants a new car anyways)

4. Get my license (currently in progress)

5. PLAY MORE SMASH YAYUHZZZZZZZZZZZ

LETS DO THIS **** *****ES!!!!

Top Bottom