• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLP: Friendship is Mafia: Background Ponies Unite - Ovah!

BSP

Smash Legend
Warn us next time. Soup being correct would've cleared his suspicion and that would've changed things.

I need to look at intent more and stop being so paranoid.

:phone:

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
No offense intended, but that modkill really did ruin us. I understand why you did it, but at least some warning would've been nice. Nonetheless, this was a fun game.

Well done to Badwolf and S2, and I'm sorry to the rest of you, I played right into their hands. This was my first game in years, and even though I lost, I had a lot of fun. Thanks to you all for a great time, and I'll definitely be sticking around for more games!

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Warning you > possibly mislynch before the mod kill + mod kill = endgame. I did it that way for a reason. It gave you town the fairest chance against scum. Sold2 had a pretty solid plan for a post-Badwolf lynch anyhow. The modkill affected scum in a negative way as well. Had you chose differently Sold might have been screwed. But had BW been lynched before, Soup would have investigated Sold and he would have gotten a free ride. I know to give a heads up in the proper circumstance. That wasn't the proper circumstance, however. I really do appreciate the feedback though. The mod kill did not ruin town, however. Inactivity and wrong decisions made by town ruined town.

@Orbo: Yeah J only made like once vote count xD

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
OMG I wanted BW dead soooooo bad on D3. You guys seriously didn't notice him coasting by on his activity from day1? I was mad that I got killed so soon, but what ya gonna do? I guess I need to look scummier to avoid getting picked off like that.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
First off, I'm entirely sorry for my inactivity D1/2 and nearing the end of the game. Some of it was legit business, the rest was lack of motivation to post and/or it being the correct play at the time. I honestly kind of hate playing as scum for this reason, seeing as that when the game is in specific positions, my best play is to literally watch what you all do and play passively. Like what happened at the end of D4 right there. The badwolf lynch was inevitable and I was borderline hopping onto it. For me as scum, the only thing to do was to stall as long as possible to see what happens, especially given I wasn't going to get lynched and the night actions favored me. I suppose my advice is to actively focus and pressure players like me who passively watch after important arguments.

Going into D3, I was planning on making a case vs Soup from the very start. I'm serious when I say that was not a chainsaw defense or anything like that. This happened to work out much better for me than I expected and honestly was probably why my argument vs him worked so well. Because Soup claimed vs Badwolf, I got to throw the ultimatum on the table that one or the other had to be scum, which limited the lynch pool to those two. Which meant I could argue any direction I wanted with 0 fear of it coming back to bite me that day. And the night actions favored me, as I'm the Godfather, so I could basically do whatever I wanted.

Soup's reporter ability catching Badwolf in the first place was odd to me. I expected the goon to be considered home. I planned to use the fact that I assumed it was this way, or perhaps to play as if I had assumed it was the other way (I laid crumbs implying it both ways D3), and I know Soup thought the goon wouldn't be out too, given his post that Vinyl was not clear.

What happened to Soup this game is that we went into D3 with you running the town after causing two mislynches and seeming real confident about it anyways. Besides your role (which caught me off guard), you hadn't done much to prove you were trustworthy at this point, which is why it was so easy for me to come in and overthrow your leadership, leaving the town with no clear leader and in a very confusing position.

I didn't want to win like this at the end, but it's what happened and I, nor any real scum player, don't pass up an opportunity like that. Vinyl's aggressiveness made himself an enemy at a time in which town couldn't afford to fight amongst each other and it got capitalized on.

So I'm thinking Sold for MVP. He saved my *** D3.
I appreciate it, but honestly it was sort of bad play on my part. As I said earlier, it was mostly because I was already halfway through making a wall vs Soup when it happened lmao. A real scummate should've just thrown you under a bus. But I was very confident I knew what the set-up was, the likely night actions to follow, and that I would be safe for defending you at the time. Also my inactivity D1/2 is not becoming of an MvP performance. Town destroyed itself D1/2, I had nothing to do with that.

On a final note, I found my character as Princess Celestia amusing. I'm sure that as the scumbag don't care DGames moderator, a lot of people could see the comparison in their mind.

edit: Also if anybody wants an individual evaluation, I can hand those out like candy oh man.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Change your avatar to something more antagonistic

BSP

Smash Legend
He did on the first potential mod kill, but not the one on Benjamin. #salt

Sold2, what did I do wrong? I was on the wrong track for pretty much the whole game.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I wouldn't mind an evaluation. I think I've got basic play down, but my reads are just off. Any tips for reading people, or is it just kind of something that developes over time?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
What is wrong with warning people you are considering it? Otherwise you just stopped the day without people having good knowledge of when they need to do something.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
You can't criticize without reading the game. That's like a food critique going to a restaurant, asking if the chef used salt in the crème brûlée, and claiming him to be a bad chef if not. That's what's wrong with people is their need to give their "opinions" because they want something to talk about when really they have no idea what is is they are talking about.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
5 Town
2 Maf

Day 3

"yo he's gonna be modkilled in the next 24 hours"
"aye yal we need to scramble for a lynch in 24 hours"

*mislynches*
*mod kill*
*night kill*

2town-2maf

*game*

----

5 Town
2 Maf

Day 3

*modkills*
*night kills*

3 Town
2 maf

Full day phase to discuss

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Doesn't mean you would or that someone else wouldn't switch. BSP the thing is you're looking at it from your frame of thought and not the overall frame of thought. I have to look at the numbers. I can't control someone not wanting to play the game, only how to fairly continue the game when that happens.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Sold2, what did I do wrong? I was on the wrong track for pretty much the whole game.
D1 you obviously started off rough. I think you learned what "sheeping" is, why you shouldn't do it, and how your post came off as it that way. I think you had a lot of good ideas and a lot of good direction in your posts. Like the case on Vinyl was legit and something that needed to be addressed, even if he was town. I think where you fell short is that you didn't follow up on things, like you were too complacent to just let what happens happen. Like D2 when Soup was pushing his wagon over yours, you should've explained why your direction was correct and made a fuss about it until you were satisfied with the responses. It's fine to like someone else's wagon alongside your own, but the only person you know to be 100% confirmed town is yourself, so you gotta trust your own opinion over anybody else's.

There is a time and place for buckling in on your own opinion though. Generally this is only when your stubbornness is preventing progress in the game or something.
I would enjoy a personal eval. I am always looking to get advice on how to be better.
As scum I believe you get too defensive. When Joker came back on you in D1, your reaction was off, and it leading into his night kill was a real dirt trail. And your reaction to Soup's claim was also off. You dragged your defense for way too long and never got to an offense vs Vinyl. Also vs a guilty claim, the only logical choice was to offense vs Soup, but I already talked to you about that.

I also believe you were a little too passive. Being passive isn't a bad thing as scum, but you can't always be sitting there and let town organize themselves. You just sorta went along with the plan D1/2/3 before **** fell on you. After the one time on Joker, which was a very safe case to make tbh, you didn't really make a push for anything, which let things calm down and town to organize a bit. A well organized town is scum's worst enemy.

I wouldn't mind an evaluation. I think I've got basic play down, but my reads are just off. Any tips for reading people, or is it just kind of something that developes over time?
It's definitely something you'll learn over time more than anything. There are a few things you can look for that will hint at most people being scum, but they don't apply to everybody. There are a few things that are inherently scummy, like manipulating people (though townies will do this from time to time), spreading fear or confusion (I did this), or survival mentality (town should be willing to die for the greater good, thus will focused more on offense).

Another thing is you really just have to figure out how the player is playing the game before you can place intent on their posts, and then you can get to real scumhunting. For example, in my case vs Soup, me setting the tone of the story as "he had a plan" painted his posts in a terrible light. I was obviously lying about him having a plan, but this is just showing how getting the correct perspective is important.

Also, Sold, I was pissed when you posted your Soup case, and it was basically the same thing as mine, but you never said a word about my case :/
[collapse=I'm sorry]
[/collapse]

I know I just told Badwolf and BSP essentially really similar things for opposing alignments but I can't really explain why it's pro-town in one context and a scum thing in the other context. It's just the timing of it I guess.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Badwolf kinda just checks in and 'comes along for the ride'. He doesn't get as involved.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Each night he could investigate a player, and he would be told whether or not that person was home. Players who use a night action are seen as 'not home' where as players that do not use a night action are seen as 'home'.

Top Bottom