• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG has failed.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
To be impressed with Brawl combos, you have to start by not thinking of it as Melee, and appreciate it for what it is. Really, the only reason you probably think they don't look impressive is because it's not as fast, or it's not what you're used to seeing.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
To be impressed with Brawl combos, you have to start by not thinking of it as Melee, and appreciate it for what it is. Really, the only reason you probably think they don't look impressive is because it's not as fast, or it's not what you're used to seeing.
Part of the reason why I sound so disappointed, Mage, is the fact that I HAVE accepted Brawl for what it is. And, in my eyes, it is the lesser game of the two. That's all I have to say on the matter; I'm not turning this thread into another Melee > Brawl debate. Take it or leave it.

I just don't find any of these videos or the gameplay contained within to be exciting. It's not a matter of comparing it to Melee; they're just...boring to me. Until I see some really cool stuff, they're going to be mediocre.

Smooth Criminal

Corigames

Smash Hero
I couldn't sit through the first five seconds of your clip do to excessive flashing. That was ********.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Part of the reason why I sound so disappointed, Mage, is the fact that I HAVE accepted Brawl for what it is. And, in my eyes, it is the lesser game of the two. That's all I have to say on the matter; I'm not turning this thread into another Melee > Brawl debate. Take it or leave it.
No, I understand what you're saying. I can certainly see where you're coming from.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We could always send letters to Dr. Pepper.

This makes me that mad.

Coselm

Smash Ace
"We seek the most well-made video that displays your Smash Brawl skills"

That is what the rules state. Not "Who has the best smash skills on video."

I wasn't particularly impressed with O'Ryan's video, but he by far had the best editing and flashiest video. And that is what the contest was. The "most well-made video".

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I read the whole MLG thread by accident, pretty crazy how everyone's reactions were the same, except every 15 posts some random would be like "the footstool 1 was funny!"

Also, you say he has many more analogies, but you only took off one or two...

Anyway, that's seriously ******** if they are giving $1000 for the winner but didn't even try to judge any of the videos on the merits they outlined.

Footstool great move1

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I read the whole MLG thread by accident, pretty crazy how everyone's reactions were the same, except every 15 posts some random would be like "the footstool 1 was funny!"

Also, you say he has many more analogies, but you only took off one or two...

Anyway, that's seriously ******** if they are giving $1000 for the winner but didn't even try to judge any of the videos on the merits they outlined.

Footstool great move1
We should all just vote for the worst video possible.

Problem is, I just can't decide. :\

And sidefx and I talked on AIM and I went through a few choice sayings. :)

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
"We seek the most well-made video that displays your Smash Brawl skills"

That is what the rules state. Not "Who has the best smash skills on video."

I wasn't particularly impressed with O'Ryan's video, but he by far had the best editing and flashiest video. And that is what the contest was. The "most well-made video".
No, that's what GB Stealth's summary stated. The official rules—what the contest was supposed to go by—don't mention quality of editing or being well-made.

1. Contest Description/Timing: The Contest is a skill contest. Participants must submit a video clip of Super Smash Brothers Brawl game-play footage displaying their best skills (a “Video”). Videos must be submitted (i.e., uploaded) online via the MLG Gameroom site (located at http://gameroom.mlgpro.com) (the “Gameroom Site”). Each Video must be less than 90 seconds in length. Participants must submit Videos during the period beginning on March 17, 2008, and ending on April 18, 2008. On or about April 23, 2008, the Contest judges (the “Judges”), who will be comprised of a panel of Major League Gaming Inc. (“MLG” or “Sponsor”) staff members, will select and nominate the five (5) Videos displaying the best skill (the “Nominated Videos”). During the period beginning on April 23, 2008, and ending at 12:00pm ET on May 2, 2008, users of the MLGPro.com site (located at http://mlgpro.com) (the “Site”) will have the ability to vote to select the best of the Nominated Videos. The Nominated Video receiving the most votes will be the 1st place winner, the second most votes will be the 2nd place winner, and the third most votes will be the 3rd place winner. MLG will announce the winners on or about May 2, 2008 on the Site. Each person who submits a Video fully and unconditionally agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Judges and MLG, which shall be final and binding in all respects.

3. Judging: Level 1: All Video entries received will be judged using the following criteria: best use of skill as determined by the MLG Judges. Entries will be judged by a panel of MLG staff members who have knowledge of video gaming. The Judges will select and nominate the five (5) Videos displaying the best skill. Level 2: The Nominated Videos will posted on the Site no later than April 23, 2008. During the period beginning on April 23, 2008, and ending at 12:00pm ET on May 2, 2008, users of the Site will have the ability to vote to select the best of the Nominated Videos. The Nominated Video receiving the most votes will be the 1st place winner; the Nominated Video receiving the second most votes will be the 2nd place winner, and the Nominated Video receiving the third most votes will be the 3rd place winner. MLG will announce the winners on or about May 2, 2008 on the Site. The determination of the winners shall be final and binding. In the event of a tie, the Nominated Videos involved in the tie will be reviewed by the Judges who will serve as a tiebreaker and who will evaluate the Nominated Videos according to criteria listed above. Becoming a potential winner is subject to validation and verification of eligibility and compliance with all terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules.
The official rules go by skill alone. Being well-made and having quality editing are not present in the rules.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
We should all just vote for the worst video possible.

Problem is, I just can't decide. :\

And sidefx and I talked on AIM and I went through a few choice sayings. :)

Hey, I know all you guys are disappointed, and I know most of you don't like my video. But you guys should vote for me anyways. =) The money goes to a production of a film about Smash Brothers. ( really). Here's the film festival preview.

Preview: Countdown to Brawl; Overview on Competitive Gaming

So if you think they are all terrible, even mine, I would really appreciate votes for this cause.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
At this point I think Overswarm is just butthurt that his video wasn't chosen. Your video wasn't chosen because the quality was bad. I said it. I don't give a **** if you think that's unfair because I know that's why. Frankly, even if the combo's in your video were ****ing brilliant, I'd rather have something that didn't look like it was recorded with a camera-phone.

Edit: And yeah, I do think it's unfair, don't get me wrong. I think you're just complaining about it too much when you know what the problem is.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
MLG are *cough* excuse me for a bit

*cough*sony and microsoft fanboys*cough*
LOL. Yeah.

I think they should put Smash on their circuit though. It's great exposer for the community.
I hope this film festival is the beginning of it. Even with all this negatively about the film festival, ultimately they will get better and MLG's involvement with Brawl will grow the community. If MLG had another contest, I can bet you more top brawl players will enter and we will see incredible results.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Of course they need a person who knows what they are doing. Instead of button mashing or a point and press R button guy, maybe we should get a guy who knows how to play?

Exovel

Smash Ace
"a martial arts competition where Steven Seagal wins"

Funniest thing I've ever read.

As a martial arts fan, that truly is a perfect analogy. I don't think I would have been able to truly understand how bad this actually was without such an over the top comparison.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
A simple criteria to rate the skill level shown in a vid is simply this question, "Do I think they could hold their own in my local tourney scene, or could they even beat me consistently?" Not a single one of the vids out of the top 5 made me think I couldn't beat them more than they would beat me. The ones that the OP posted that didn't get in all look like players that could beat me plenty and would most likely be in the final 4 of my local tourney every week.
If they don't even show more skill than me(I have yet to finish better than the top 8 in any 32+ tourney) then I don't see how they can even get in. I figure a vid has to show enough skill to make it look they could be competitive in a tourney, or else they aren't showing the "best skill."

Zoap

Smash Master
sidefx (12:12:47 am): whats up
sidefx (12:12:49 am): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165055
Zoap (12:13:21 am): o i was just commenting on how your combo vid isnt top 5 material thats all
sidefx (12:13:31 am): **** you
sidefx (12:13:32 am): lol
Zoap (12:13:46 am): i told u from the beginning
Zoap (12:14:03 am): although im a little disapointed the yoshi combo vid didnt make it
sidefx (12:14:08 am): peter
sidefx (12:14:10 am): go **** a tree
sidefx (12:14:12 am): lol
Zoap (12:14:29 am): trees need love too boback

just thought id share the deep intellectual convos me and sidefx are having right now LOL

Opinion time:

Disgree.
The only good one out of the 5 was OryaN's. He showed some skill and had some of the best editing in a Brawl video that i have seen yet. You deserved to be in the top 5 for sure though. MLG sucks.
Disagree.

Did I seriously just watch 90 seconds of footstool jumps?
The best ROB and Diddy Kong I've ever seen were not picked.
DBR was not picked.
MLG is terrible. They shouldn't have dropped Melee, and now that they've put some focus on Brawl they're making it look ridiculous.
Disagree on: I feel that I've seen a better ROB than that. Or at least, if I were showcasing ROB, I'd have better clips than to put one-hit and two-hit strings in there.

Agree on: Diddy Kong should have been picked
Lol MLG sucks at life...

That DBR vid is BEASTLY btw. That thing is unbelievable.
Disagree.

I think the DBR video was OK, just like some of the other vids - really. I wasn't impressed with the Sonic combos - I was doing those the first week playing Brawl. But they're still cool I guess. I wasn't impressed with the Snake stuff either - but the Dedede stuff I thought was pretty cool.

And I agree that the snake video shouldn't have been selected, and that the footstool video should have been replaced with the Pit video.

That is all.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Opinion time:

Disgree.
Disagree.

Disagree on: I feel that I've seen a better ROB than that. Or at least, if I were showcasing ROB, I'd have better clips than to put one-hit and two-hit strings in there.

Agree on: Diddy Kong should have been picked
Disagree.

I think the DBR video was OK, just like some of the other vids - really. I wasn't impressed with the Sonic combos - I was doing those the first week playing Brawl. But they're still cool I guess. I wasn't impressed with the Snake stuff either - but the Dedede stuff I thought was pretty cool.

And I agree that the snake video shouldn't have been selected, and that the footstool video should have been replaced with the Pit video.

That is all.
lmaoooo you were doing the stuff hella does on week 1?
bull****

sidefx

Smash Champion
most of that footage was taken in the 2nd week of february, about 2 weeks after we got brawl (which shows cause i dont use green mk anymore. that was hellllla long ago) but anyways, i dont mind if you have an opinion on it, i just want to get this out to as many people as possible to show how hard MLG can suck at trying to act like they care about the smash scene, then pull some bs like this.

lmaoooo you were doing the stuff hella does on week 1?
bull****
Well:
most of that footage was taken in the 2nd week of february, about 2 weeks after we got brawl (which shows cause i dont use green mk anymore. that was hellllla long ago) but anyways, i dont mind if you have an opinion on it, i just want to get this out to as many people as possible to show how hard MLG can suck at trying to act like they care about the smash scene, then pull some bs like this.
I guess that proves it.

Yeah, I seriously was doing that my first few hours of playing Sonic. And I was doing more than just that - shield grab to uthrow, uair, uair, up+b, dair was a combo that I was pulling consistently (other person has to be at a medium-ish percent).

Sorry :/

Overswarm

is laughing at you
At this point I think Overswarm is just butthurt that his video wasn't chosen. Your video wasn't chosen because the quality was bad. I said it. I don't give a **** if you think that's unfair because I know that's why. Frankly, even if the combo's in your video were ****ing brilliant, I'd rather have something that didn't look like it was recorded with a camera-phone.

Edit: And yeah, I do think it's unfair, don't get me wrong. I think you're just complaining about it too much when you know what the problem is.
If it was just my video out, I would been like "Wow, wtf? That sucks" and just thought that it was just plain bad luck. I didn't have my PC so I couldn't get to any of my videos and maek the video I wanted to make. I didn't expect to win, but I figured it would be a for sure thing to get nominated. Using clips just from YouTube limited my combo video and reduced the quality, but I didn't care so much about the quality. After all, you could still see what was going on AND the video editing and quality didn't matter as per the rules of the contest. There aren't exactly many "skillful" vids out there. In fact, the 5 nominated show little to none.

Regardless DBR was the video that probably should have won and wasn't nominated. It wasn't nominated. It's a good video that didn't have to use YouTube videos.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
Don't even joke, superstarmario.

I watched the Snake vid. I watched yours. Yours > Snake vid. Therefore, there was injustice. The rest is a matter of degree.

This is indeed BS. Does MLG have no integrity? They have no right to call those videos winners of the competition they specified. If they want to just handpick vids, that's fine, but they are lying to the community when they show these vids as winners of the contest they spelled out, and moreover they are just being A-holes to all the people who submitted good vids.

Simple as that.

To take action, people need to rally together in an appropriate forum (gamers can't get into mainstream media except through mass murder :(), where they will be heard, and raise these criticisms against MLG.

I don't know what that forum would be. . .

yo, don't go talkin sht about mlg. their contests might be messed up but their actual in person events are the best events to go to. plus they give out the most money for the winners back when melee was sponsored by mlg, i think pc won 20k for the 06 championships

Overswarm

is laughing at you
yo, don't go talkin sht about mlg. their contests might be messed up but their actual in person events are the best events to go to. plus they give out the most money for the winners back when melee was sponsored by mlg, i think pc won 20k for the 06 championships
How far they have fallen.

You're welcome for the Steven Seagal analogy, btw.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
How far they have fallen.

You're welcome for the Steven Seagal analogy, btw.
lozl ty for the quote, but yeah they have fallen, throwing out the smash series from the circuit completely=/. but in their defense they have a LOT of other games that they have to deal with. cod4, rainbow six vegas, gears of war, shadowrun, halo 3

Top Bottom