• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK8 has replay uploads directly to YouTube & Voice Chat...Will Smash?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
MK8's Nintendo Direct today detailed some features that a LOT of Smashers would probably appreciate.

One is inline editing of replays, sharing them with others, and the ability to upload directly to YouTube. It also has Voice Chat and limited Text Chat in the lobbies.

Now, call me a hopeful, but the inline editing of replays and sharing them with others was also in Pokemon X/Y. Voice chat was as well.

I think there's a strong possibility that since the 2 biggest games in the past year with online capabilities had these headlining features, Smash could as well. What if we could render and upload our Wii U replays directly to YouTube? That'd be awesome. Voice chat would be fantastic too, though during matches might be a little spotty.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Voice chat & the expanded replay capabilities above...do you think there's a good chance they could be appearing in SSB4 as well since the Wii U/3DS Online infrastructure supports it?

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Now that would be a fun and highly used feature. I think it's very possible.

This would be the majority of my channel.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
That new information gave me a lot of hope for Sm4sh's online features. I hope both games have great online communities.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If it was in, I'd use it to no end. I've been waiting for THIS specifically for a while now, and I would be shocked if Sakurai didn't use this new technology for Smash 4's online.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I would create a new channel just for smash and upload game play all the time. Please let this happen.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
I'd be surprised if voice chat isn't supported when playing with friends, don't know about playing with anyone though.

D

Deleted member

I would love to see this happen. Better online is one of the things I wanted to see the most out of this game outside of Mega Man.

Also, this is something worth noting: http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/02/21/gdc-2008-sakurai-on-super-smash-bros-brawl

Sakurai mentioned that he did want to incorporate voice chat into Brawl, but could not do so due to regulations concerning the Wii's limitation in online. Now that these limitations are gone, we may finally see voice chat make the leap. I hope they do.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm glad they're finally coming around to it, but seriously Nintendo, welcome to, what? 2006?

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
If it is in Smash I would use it to no end! I don't have any videos on my channel right now but if this is in then my videos would probably be mostly just Smash online.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
Brawl also needs online tournaments like MK8. I think MK's online is almost perfect.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Please no voice chat like COD or something. That would ruin it. I'd hate to be able to talk to people far away that I'm playing. It will only incur rage.... Thats all it ever does. (not that I play COD)

Renji64

Smash Lord
I would love voice chat. Can people stop think everything with voice chat=COD it doesnt. Hopefully Smash get's the same focus online. MK has a tourney mode smash needs dat. Voice chat would be great for friends and family.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Please no voice chat like COD or something. That would ruin it. I'd hate to be able to talk to people far away that I'm playing. It will only incur rage.... Thats all it ever does. (not that I play COD)
In MK it's only in the lobbies, not during gameplay. Something like that would be fine, but I'd also kinda like voice chat while in a match if it was optional tbh.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm glad they're finally coming around to it, but seriously Nintendo, welcome to, what? 2006?
Oh, the 'welcome to 20XX' Nintendo joke, how baseless and unfunny. Nintendo just got their hands on HD, and they're releasing a game that looks much better than everything on PS4 and Xbone at the moment (Especially considering the Second Son graphics scam from E3).

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
MK8's Nintendo Direct today detailed some features that a LOT of Smashers would probably appreciate.

One is inline editing of replays, sharing them with others, and the ability to upload directly to YouTube. It also has Voice Chat and limited Text Chat in the lobbies.

Now, call me a hopeful, but the inline editing of replays and sharing them with others was also in Pokemon X/Y. Voice chat was as well.

I think there's a strong possibility that since the 2 biggest games in the past year with online capabilities had these headlining features, Smash could as well. What if we could render and upload our Wii U replays directly to YouTube? That'd be awesome. Voice chat would be fantastic too, though during matches might be a little spotty.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Voice chat & the expanded replay capabilities above...do you think there's a good chance they could be appearing in SSB4 as well since the Wii U/3DS Online infrastructure supports it?
I'm pretty sure we'll get voice chat, and I REALLY hope we get replay uploads. My bigger concern is that they won't start producing a pro controller with mic support. Or a mic in general. There are woefully few options for communication on the Wii U.

Oh, the 'welcome to 20XX' Nintendo joke, how baseless and unfunny. Nintendo just got their hands on HD, and they're releasing a game that looks much better than everything on PS4 and Xbone at the moment (Especially considering the Second Son graphics scam from E3).
I like how MK8 and Smash Bros look. I think they look fantastic. But I'm confident that neither beat out Infamous: Second Son, or Destiny in graphical fidelity. I own Infamous, and it looks jaw-droppingly beautiful at times. Also, Halo 2 came out in 2004 and had all the features that we are sitting here wondering if Nintendo will implement. Objectively, that is pretty sad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash is usually behind Mario kart in online, so I don't expect it.
But there's only been one case of that happening. I'm not saying you're wrong about the online being potentially worse than Mario Kart, but considering Sakurai did mentioned he wanted voice chat in Brawl, I don't see why we shouldn't at least expect that.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
But there's only been one case of that happening. I'm not saying you're wrong about the online being potentially worse than Mario Kart, but considering Sakurai did mentioned he wanted voice chat in Brawl, I don't see why we shouldn't at least expect that.
Well, let's hope you're right. Video recording in Smash would be amazing.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Mario Kart has never been as rich in features as Smash, but it's online has always been stellar (even on the DS.) I don't think Smash can catch up in one game, but Smash TV would be awes....wow Smash TV. Ha. Loved that game.

Anyway, being able to upload Smash videos would be amazing, but even more amazing would be the ability to host custom tournaments, which Mario Kart can ALSO do.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd prefer it to be limited to matches with friends. Including it in random matchmaking matches would borderline ruin it completely.

It's true though. As much as I've always prefered Nintendo, HD and good online was standard for consoles in 2006, it's about damn time it happened. Also, as much as I prefer the graphical style of Smash 4 and MK8 the Wii U is the least graphical capable of the consoles on the market, and that's simply a fact. Not that graphics matter much of course, but don't go around tooting your horn without knowing things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd prefer it to be limited to matches with friends. Including it in random matchmaking matches would borderline ruin it completely.
Actually, there might be a way around it if voice chat is included in random matchmaking matches.

Allow an option to turn off mic for you and the ones from your opponents online (except if your friends were there, then another option exist for that) for both fighting with friends and random match making. If you don't like using it randomly, you can have the option to ignore other people online whereas those who do want to use it are free to do so without distracting you.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Well, for starters, we've already seen a lot of complex camera angles and such within Nintendo Directs and such. That could very well have been made within a replay editor, no? And yet even if there is a replay editor/uploader, I'd probably stick to recording the game myself with a capture card, so I can edit it in much more depth on my computer than any in-game editor would allow.
As for voice chat, it'd be nice for some, but personally I'm indifferent. Anyone I'd want to voice chat with, I'd do either over Skype while playing or I'd be sitting next to. I can't see myself having "Good 'ol Smash Speak" with someone I don't know, plus I'd like to avoid receiving any rage.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It's true though. As much as I've always prefered Nintendo, HD and good online was standard for consoles in 2006, it's about damn time it happened. Also, as much as I prefer the graphical style of Smash 4 and MK8 the Wii U is the least graphical capable of the consoles on the market, and that's simply a fact. Not that graphics matter much of course, but don't go around tooting your horn without knowing things.
The Wii U probably has the best art design-graphical power balance on the market.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm pretty sure we'll get voice chat, and I REALLY hope we get replay uploads. My bigger concern is that they won't start producing a pro controller with mic support. Or a mic in general. There are woefully few options for communication on the Wii U.
The Wii U's mic is sensitive enough to hear a whole room, as I know from the Wii U chat.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
The Wii U probably has the best art design-graphical power balance on the market.
Art design isn't something determined by hardware.
The Wii U's mic is sensitive enough to hear a whole room, as I know from the Wii U chat.
I'm likely still going to have to have a gamepad out of its dock, sitting somewhere near me. That's annoying. I'd rather just plug a headset into the Pro controller, or Nintendo build the same mic in the gamepad, into the Pro controller.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Definitely some cool features, Youtube uploading and voice chat would be great. I'm still waiting on confirmation of real lobbies though. In Brawl when playing with friends, the "lobbies" forced everyone who were in them to play every match and could only support 4 players. I'm hoping for rooms where 1v1s are possible as well as free for all and up to 8 or so players could be in the room, spectating when it isn't their turn like traditional fighters these days.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

I'm likely still going to have to have a gamepad out of its dock, sitting somewhere near me. That's annoying. I'd rather just plug a headset into the Pro controller, or Nintendo build the same mic in the gamepad, into the Pro controller.
What's stopping you from leaving it on the charger?

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
What's stopping you from leaving it on the charger?
It's on a cradle. This blocks the mic port. Not to mention the cradle is at a distance (not all rooms are built the same, so I don't particularly buy the idea that sensitivity of the mic will suit my needs just because it suits yours).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's on a cradle. This blocks the mic port. Not to mention the cradle is at a distance (not all rooms are built the same, so I don't particularly buy the idea that sensitivity of the mic will suit my needs just because it suits yours).
Actually, I've tried it in a few rooms in the house and there wasn't too much of a difference. (Don't try it in rooms with echos though.) And the cradle doesn't block the mic, the mic is the pinhole to the left of the home button.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

When you have good hardware and crappy art design, your hardware doesn't matter one bit. But when you give a company like Nintendo good hardware and you let them spray their art design on top, amazing things happen.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
When you have good hardware and crappy art design, your hardware doesn't matter one bit. But when you give a company like Nintendo good hardware and you let them spray their art design on top, amazing things happen.
That still doesn't have anything to do with the console, that's simply because Nintendo has the smarter people behind their games. They're the reason we have timeless looking games like Wind Waker and Metroid Prime to begin with, which even after more than 10 years still look great, even if the hardware was incredibly rubbish compared to today's. And to be fair, it's much more important to have such smart people behind the console than to have the most powerful console, and that's always been the case with Nintendo, their consoles have never been the most powerful ones of their generations (not too sure about NES and SNES), but they've managed to distinguish themselves and make truly unique experiences with what they have, yet again proving that graphics hardly matter, especially with the little difference that are between them these days.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Nintendo has a long-standing history of being stubborn and the absolute last of the console manufacturers to embrace relevant trends like online play, account name based online systems and voice chat.

The irony is that...

A) I'm far more excited about Nintendo's games going online than the next CoD or whatever

B) Nintendo's sluggishness in embracing a strong online model has cost them millions in WiiWare/VC sales because WW and VC games are ridiculously easy to pirate, unlike XBL and PSN downloadable games which turn into demos if the user doesn't have an internet connection to verify that they own the game.

It'd be nice of a new lasting trend emerged and, for once, Nintendo embraced it immediately instead of being last to the table like they usually are.

And yeah, they're a generation behind on HD and a generation behind in graphical power, meaning that all of the games that would be multi platform will instead be PS4/XBONE/PC only. It's the Wii all over again, minus 94 million consoles sold, of course.

Seriously, Nintendo SHOULD be lampooned for being the last to embrace relevant trends in gaming. It's easily the worst aspect of the company. It's slightly mind-boggling that we're sitting here celebrating voice chat, a feature that comes standard in nearly every other online game these days.

That still doesn't have anything to do with the console, that's simply because Nintendo has the smarter people behind their games.
I'd like to add that Nintendo often keeps the knowledge of how to get the most mileage out of their hardware from 3rd party devs.

Last edited:

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
I'm glad Nintendo if FINALLY making strides into more multi-functioning online modes. I don't exactly have a lot of faith in them to give us as diverse an online mode we want, but I do expect it to meet some minimum expectations:
  1. The online to actually function. If games like Call of Duty can have a comparable online experience on Wii U then Smash should be able to.
  2. Voice chat for friend matches, but probably not for randoms.
  3. Some sort of video sharing through MiiVerse
Hopefully they'll surpass expectations, but I'll keep mine tempered for now. If the online at the very least works well this time around, I'd be pretty happy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Neither of these things matter to me personally (I'll use Skype to chat with friends if they don't do it, and I am buying an Elgato off of a friend soon for recording), but they should be implemented. Voice chat is pretty much a given, I think. The Youtube thing might happen too.

I just really hope the camera is more free for photos and replays. And I hope there is a replay editor akin to Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

Top Bottom