• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK8 has replay uploads directly to YouTube & Voice Chat...Will Smash?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I personally don't care for talking with strangers online, so this wouldn't bother me one bit.
I really don't need some guy/6yearold screaming in my ear.
Just tell them that your their biological parent. Even the manchildren that are clearly twice your age! :troll:

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I really don't need some guy/6yearold screaming in my ear.
Can we just stop with this already?

Screaming angry people are the minority, and every other online game today offers you a way to mute people selectively in the event that you encounter one. I've met a lot of really cool people by talking to them on VC and I can foresee adding people to my friends list to smash with them later, for sure.

Being afraid of voice chat is like cavemen being scared of fire, FFS. Stop using xenophobia as an excuse to justify Nintendo's failure to embrace features every other developer was using 10 goddamn years ago...

Poots

Smash Journeyman
Online voice chat is a useful feature that Nintendo should really implement. It's not hurting anyone and people are asking for it, so there isn't really any reason why they shouldn't. It's just not something that I'll personally be using.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Can we just stop with this already?
Screaming angry people are the minority, and every other online game today offers you a way to mute people selectively in the event that you encounter one. I've met a lot of really cool people by talking to them on VC and I can foresee adding people to my friends list to smash with them later, for sure.
Being afraid of voice chat is like cavemen being scared of fire, FFS. Stop using xenophobia as an excuse to justify Nintendo's failure to embrace features every other developer was using 10 goddamn years ago...
Well to be fair not every developer voice chat. However those screaming angry people have a larger impact on the situation then alot of us like to admit even losing companies business because of how vile some of it gets. Even those companies like microsoft that have fully embraced it don't have the ability to address it other then in a case by case basis even after years of doing that trait. I think the bigger concern is whether or not Nintendo infrastructure would be effiecetive or not to address those concerns. Nintendo is still a pretty conservative business in regards to it's online and internet systems. I'm not sure at this point if I would realistically expect them to have voice chat in random with anyone matches. If they are going to do it and not do it well, then there is probably little point in doing it at all.

I understand your point in regards to simply accepting what Nintendo does as best is excuse not to think about it, but expecting them to suddenly jump ten fold into voice chat is pretty unlikely.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Well to be fair not every developer voice chat. However those screaming angry people have a larger impact on the situation then alot of us like to admit even losing companies business because of how vile some of it gets. Even those companies like microsoft that have fully embraced it don't have the ability to address it other then in a case by case basis even after years of doing that trait. I think the bigger concern is whether or not Nintendo infrastructure would be effiecetive or not to address those concerns. Nintendo is still a pretty conservative business in regards to it's online and internet systems. I'm not sure at this point if I would realistically expect them to have voice chat in random with anyone matches. If they are going to do it and not do it well, then there is probably little point in doing it at all.

I understand your point in regards to simply accepting what Nintendo does as best is excuse not to think about it, but expecting them to suddenly jump ten fold into voice chat is pretty unlikely.
Thing is, Sakurai promised a means of reporting people online, and it sounded like it'd be a pretty good system. XBL does have a means of reporting people, in that you can rate your experience with them and there are ways to host games that will not allow people below a certain rating to join.

But again, my point is that you can't shun fire for fear that some people may get burned. At the very least, I hope we do have VC during matches with friends, but the real point I was trying to make is that the logic of "There are bad people on voice chat" needs to DIAF.

Online voice chat is a useful feature that Nintendo should really implement. It's not hurting anyone and people are asking for it, so there isn't really any reason why they shouldn't. It's just not something that I'll personally be using.
And that's fair. I didn't mean to harp on you personally as you were only one of a number of people to mention it that way.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
But again, my point is that you can't shun fire for fear that some people may get burned. At the very least, I hope we do have VC during matches with friends, but the real point I was trying to make is that the logic of "There are bad people on voice chat" needs to DIAF.
Definitely a fair point, the question isn't, are their bad/racist/sexist/cruel people in voice chat, of course there is, the bigger question has been for both developers and the community is what do you do to address those issues so it doesn't get to the point where the community shrinks or is tainted by the poor behavior without resorting to removing features or putting restrictions on people that don't perform the same poor behavior.

It would be pretty simple if everyone just muted people or ignore the trolls, the issue is human beings don't really operate under continual diress when constantly being harassed and that's where many of these concerns come from. I'm just saying we need to be careful to avoid address people that have concerns of that kind from simply as being thinned skinned or cowardly because there are legitmate issues to discuss in regards to the impact of voice chat on a game.

D

Deleted member

If the WiiU's hardware is so much better, why are the ports downgraded?

Because, as I said earlier, Nintendo actually withholds information from 3rd party developers on how to get the most out of their hardware.

I was once like you: a blind Nintendo fan, who could only see Nintendo as the victim of undue abuse and scrutiny. After having done the research and seen the situation for what it truly is, I can safely say that Nintendo deserves almost every bit of flak they get.

This thread is INSANE when put in context. We shouldn't be getting excited about voice chat. We shouldn't be speculating whether it'll be in lobbies only. In any other online game on any other console, voice chat is omnipresent (and you're free to mute people if you want).

If they DON'T have it during gameplay, that will suck, because VC DURING a round of SSB with my friends would be the closest thing I'll have to getting them all back in the same room to play it like we did with SSB64 back in the day. Trash talking during the match is half the fun, after all.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason Watch_Dogs is coming out later for the Wii U is that Ubisoft was having a hard time figuring out the hardware, and by extension having a hard time programming for it? Just goes to show ya

I mean I love Nintendo, but they make some horrible decisions and have always been behind when it comes to hardware. We should have had features like HD on the Wii, considering everyone and their dogs were hopping on the HD train at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason Watch_Dogs is coming out later for the Wii U is that Ubisoft was having a hard time figuring the hardware, and by extension having a hard time programming for it? Just goes to show ya

I mean I love Nintendo, but they make some horrible decisions and have always been behind when it comes to hardware. We should have had features like HD on the Wii, considering everyone and their dogs were hopping on the HD train at the time.
Yep, and they're gonna lose big this generation because of it (barring a miracle turnaround). The WiiU launched around Nov of 2012 in multiple territories. The PS4 launched a YEAR later and promptly flew past it and the XBONE isn't far behind (and has yet to launch in Japan, not that it'll likely get many sales there). So Nintendo's year head start effectively meant nothing.

Maybe this will be the gen they try to turn that around by listening to what the market wants, like by making voice chat available in all of their future online games. I just hope they don't conclude that voice chat (and all other advancements) is unnecessary because it "clearly didn't help sales of the Wii U"... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Eh, I'm not sure I agree with that particular point, as all that adding HD probably would have done on the Wii would be to jack up the price tag on the console which would of had a impact on the demographic that mostly bought the console, let's be honest those that were playing the motion control Wii games probably didn't care whether it was HD or not. I don't think HD would have made the Wii sell anymore then it already did which was alot.

The Wii's success is a complicated thing and part of what plays into what's going on now. Nintendo has had a back and forth history with their innovation with their consoles working for and against them at various times. Sometimes it works great for them and other times it simply doesn't.

In the Wii it did work out for them, even though the software sales themselves weren't extoridary, Nintendo had money on each console they sold which means doing more or less their own thing brought them more money in then they ever had with the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube which were more mainstream in their design and intention. The Wii became a well known name for better or for worse. So they banked on the Wii brand and introduced the tablet-like controller as a new innovation on top what techology they had developed during the Wii cycle. However it didn't work, mostly because the audience they had created with the Wii wasn't interested in the new console or didn't even know it was a new console and Nintendo couldn't get enough 3rd parties on board to support the thing which gave it a reputation of having no games, which ironically could only be fixed by 3rd parties putting out more games which will only happen if they actually move the console, which requires more games the Nintendo can physically put out on their own.

Even if the Wii U suddenly gets a whole bunch of PS4 or Xbox1 features and sold a lare numbers, I'm not really sure it would actually save the situation because it seems like it's been mostly written off at this point by most developers and consumers as a viable option. I suppose a lot at this point depends on E3 but if some consoles don't get moved this year, I'm pretty sure the Wii U is more or less heading for a brick wall.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh, I'm not sure I agree with that particular point, as all that adding HD probably would have done on the Wii would be to jack up the price tag on the console which would of had a impact on the demographic that mostly bought the console, let's be honest those that were playing the motion control Wii games probably didn't care whether it was HD or not. I don't think HD would have made the Wii sell anymore then it already did which was alot.

The Wii's success is a complicated thing and part of what plays into what's going on now. Nintendo has had a back and forth history with their innovation with their consoles working for and against them at various times. Sometimes it works great for them and other times it simply doesn't.

In the Wii it did work out for them, even though the software sales themselves weren't extoridary, Nintendo had money on each console they sold which means doing more or less their own thing brought them more money in then they ever had with the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube which were more mainstream in their design and intention. The Wii became a well known name for better or for worse. So they banked on the Wii brand and introduced the tablet-like controller as a new innovation on top what techology they had developed during the Wii cycle. However it didn't work, mostly because the audience they had created with the Wii wasn't interested in the new console or didn't even know it was a new console and Nintendo couldn't get enough 3rd parties on board to support the thing which gave it a reputation of having no games, which ironically could only be fixed by 3rd parties putting out more games which will only happen if they actually move the console, which requires more games the Nintendo can physically put out on their own.

Even if the Wii U suddenly gets a whole bunch of PS4 or Xbox1 features and sold a lare numbers, I'm not really sure it would actually save the situation because it seems like it's been mostly written off at this point by most developers and consumers as a viable option. I suppose a lot at this point depends on E3 but if some consoles don't get moved this year, I'm pretty sure the Wii U is more or less heading for a brick wall.
I am aware that the Wii was a critical success even without things like HD and voice chat, but having them actually utilize those features 7 years late is a bit odd. I just think that it should be brought to notice that Nintendo has been really behind when it comes to hardware. And I agree, if Nintendo actually opened up to 3rd party devs (and possibly vice-versa, depending on which way you look at it), the Wii U would probably do a lot better than it is. As fun and awesome as they are, games like 3D World and possibly even Smash are not enough to keep the Wii U in the running, especially when the PS4 has already outsold it in half a year of it being out, and with the Xbone not being far beind, despite selling the worst out of the three currently.
On an off note, I would like to see some better indie support too. A little ease-of-access for indie devs goes a long way, especially now that the indie scene has gained tons of popularity.

Top Bottom