• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mission Complete!- Fox Discussion Thread

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Is what this person did possible for the default Fox Fire? I don't see some uses for this at the moment, but it's noteworthy.
It's possible but you have to hug the stage pretty close to parallel for it to work iirc.

The drill/barrel roll custom UpB doesn't bounce off the stage at all, it instead moves along the stage and even turns at 90 degrees when shot straight down into the stage.

D

Deleted member

Just to clear the air as I don't see one listed, is this considered the social thread for this character board? If so, I think it should be indicated as [Social] somewhere in the title.

Hidden Arwing

Smash Apprentice
Just to clear the air as I don't see one listed, is this considered the social thread for this character board? If so, I think it should be indicated as [Social] somewhere in the title.
It seems that way~ In anycase, can you send me the picture from your avatar? It looks really cool~

D

Deleted member

It seems that way~ In anycase, can you send me the picture from your avatar? It looks really cool~
Oh, hehe. Thank you! It's actually my fursona. A character I created myself and had commissioned an artist to draw. I have some others. Just PM me if you want the full picture and others. :)

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Is what this person did possible for the default Fox Fire? I don't see some uses for this at the moment, but it's noteworthy.
Are you referring to being able to curve the Firefox into the ground? Or curving it in general?

For the first, I think the best use you can get out of it is the FLAMEDASH on a slanted surface (not an option on Omega stages) which gives you a bit of a slide. You can do anything out of this slide, which although looks cool is completely ineffective given how vulnerable you are charging Firefox making every matchup instant 10:0 Fox.

Curving was semi-useful in Brawl as it allowed you to curve towards the stage then come up straight to snap to the ledge in order to avoid some gimps. Since, in Smash 4, Fox can do anything out of Illusion and not many moves send you at a downward angle at this game (from what I can tell), your recovery should be more than enough that curving Firefox may seem a bit of an accessory. It really is too easy to get back to the stage since the vast majority of the time you can just kick someone off the edge imo.

Last edited:

Pabben

Smash Rookie
Some cool news for Fox fox fans and mains. ZeRo just announced on his stream a few days ago that Fox will be his main for Smash 4.

Pabben

Smash Rookie
Dude... he's ZeRo. He's one of the most famous and most successful smash players ever. Some consider him to be the best player in the game. Check rankings to have an idea.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Dude... he's ZeRo. He's one of the most famous and most successful smash players ever. Some consider him to be the best player in the game. Check rankings to have an idea.
Let's not celebritize our comp players and expect everyone to know who they are. :p

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I know who the guy is, I'm just more familiar with other Brawl and Melee players. Like, if you had said Santi was going to pick Fox up I would be more excited. He's a real obscure ex-Toon Link main who had his own YouTube channel and some respectable showings at tournaments. I really appreciated his presence.

But hey proof is in the pudding if ZeRo has some good showings at tournaments I may come to respect him more yet!

jr22

Smash Apprentice
So Zero is maining fox now? I'll really appreciate to see his fox in the future.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Got 5th at a biweekly in new york going both Mario and fox. Felt as if I could of some better, but I was simultaneously playing PM.. Which I got second in :p

Some matches got recorded so I'll post when it gets uploaded.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Zero's maining Fox now? There goes my chance at being the best Fox in Smash 4
Don't let that put you down the more good Fox's there are the more feared people will be when they see him jump off the arwing.

ot- love Fox his combo game is insane, i can carry people from 0 to 57 percent using u tilts into down tilt when they get carried infront of me then i dash attack into nair then i react to whatever my opponent does.

Conda

Doesn't mean anything honestly.
I have to agree.
A LOT of competitive players are going to be maining a LOT of characters. ZeRo is a great competitive player who makes videos , but that shouldn't make you feel like 'less' of a competitive player. If you're not at his level yet, it doesn't mean you won't be down the road. And it especially doesn't mean you're not as important to the metagame's development or the smash community! You're as valued as ZeRo and the other 'celebrity' players - we may treat them like celebrities often, but that's mostly because some people over-emphasize the fact that they have a viewerbase and fanbase.

Having a viewerbase and fanbase does not make you more important, though. You're not supposed to feel intimidated or 'worse' than them, you're supposed to feel like competitive smash brethren. Those who have successful Twitch streams are not more important, they're simply representing the community. You are still important and valued - that's why we call it the competitive smash community. :)

Not everyone enjoys spending their time making videos and livestreaming - that doesn't make you less of a competitive player than guys like ZeRo and M2K. :)

Belee dat

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
You guys are right. However, ZeRo is able to beat M2K in PM and he's a really solid Smash 4 player too. I'm still gonna try to be the very best, like no one ever was. It's just intimidating to compete against those who have much more experience and play with top players often. Not that I'm going to give up, I'm still gonna give it my all and amass as much experience and skill as possible. Thanks for your guys's comments and perspective.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
So you're saying Fox can do the same huh? Looks interesting. Our best option is probably Nair.
Fox's is very wild and unruly. I was barely able to confirm he could do it, let alone use it effectively.

On a side note, shine does not combo but fair does. You practically suicide with the opponent when you use fair.

Conda

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
You've posted this in the falco thread too, and there you also forgot to replace 'sheik' with the character whose thread you're in. :p
Yeah I noticed that last night and then was like, "**** it I'm to tired, they get the point."

Lightning93

Smash Champion
In Brawl you could boost pivot grab almost immediately out of standing animation so it was much more useful to catch people off guard. It does always have that sick factor but I can't determine if it helps significantly anymore... Mixup potential is always great but I can't think of a specific situation where I would rather pivot grab.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
What are the big changes for fox? I loved fair in brawl, but from what I've been reading it doesn't sound like it will be as fun to use. I jumped around between fox and wolf for a long time, but it doesn't look like the later will be an option anymore, so I'm almost dead set on using fox for the most part. I don't have a 3ds so I can't try anything out until the wii u version though.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Biggest changes for Fox specifically that have most impacted my gameplay are the following:
  • Ability to do anything following a recovery period after using Illusion in the air. This makes your recovery one of the best in the game.
  • Shine is overall pitiful in comparison to previous versions. More start up time, garbage knockback and induced hitstun, and more recovery time. If you use this move offensively you may immediately regret it.
  • Dair has pretty bad landing lag but is still a decent option to get in some damage if you actually connect with it. Doesn't have amazing priority but it's a solid move to throw out. Loss of all gimping potential on this move.
  • Nair has risen to the top of my list of preferred air attacks. Good priority, virtually no lag on landing, and sets up for dash attacks, grabs, upsmashes, you name it.
  • Lasers no longer autocancel on landing. Fox always has to put the gun away in this game. Your mobility while camping has been significantly decreased.
  • Bair still autocancels and has increased kill potential imo.
  • Dthrow is now useful and sets up your opponent and good angles.
  • Fair is excellent for racking up damage as all hits are pretty much guaranteed to connect and if you land while an opponent is caught in it you will actually pseudo-meteor spike them. This can cause a bounce on the ground if you're on stage which can lead into F-tilt locks. Neat.
Imo the smash 4 hitstun and DI changes have been incredibly good to Fox. Moves that should have connected in Brawl now connect. Rising Fair, while no longer good for recovery is not really need with the ledge changes and ability to jump and Firefox after using Illusion.

TL;DR: Your laser and shine game is pretty weak in this game, but pretty much everything else has been beefed up. Uptilt is way too good in this game. Fox puts down the toys and gets to work with his fists.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
So basically the whole camping part I hate has been removed? Great. I might have to give Falco a try too in that case. I will be thankful to never have to worry about the timing of SHTL or double laser or whatever anymore.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I will be thankful to never have to worry about the timing of SHTL or double laser or whatever anymore.
Not necessarily a very popular opinion on these boards but I do appreciate the enthusiasm! I also just finished up playing another Fox who seemed like he had sufficient tech skill but just couldn't really advance the game in his favor.

Probably not an issue with you guys but ya'll gotta learn what to approach with, how to make it safe, optimize your punishes, and figure out which moves kill at which percents!

RPK

Smash Lord
Actually, you can still do a boost pivot grab from standing...AND IT STILL LOOKS HELLLLLAAA LEGIT. I thought I explained this days ago T3T

So...In smash 4 you're still able to cancel your dash attack into a grab. You can tell when, during a dash, you press A and then R immediately afterwards. This will result in Fox doing a dash grab. With that knowledge in mind, all that had to be done was pivot it and BAM!!! BOOSTED PIVOT GRAB FROM STANDING POSITION!!

I will say that it is a lot harder to do on a 3ds because of no c-stick where the normal input would've been dash -> down on the c-stick -> other direction+Z for a boost pivot grab. For the 3ds tho if you dash and keep holding forward when you press A, you'll do a F-smash because smash. So the best input is going to be dash, half circle back A R. A button first in order to initiate the dash attack.

Also you can cross FD in just 3 boost pivot grabs....That is all

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Grab and pivot grab is still a massively nerfed option compared to all the other smash games. Grab ranges have been nerfed and grabs always lose trades with attacks instead of beating them or trading. They are no longer a good punishing option and in turn have gotten a lot easier to punish.

:059:

Top Bottom