• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mission Complete!- Fox Discussion Thread

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Hover over your name on the top of the page, select Personal Details.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
If you wanna be super awesome with laser game you could try work this into your game so you can always run away to create space and instantly convert that space into laser damage - http://giphy.com/gifs/l41lQ5Fa9iBtnYKNW -

Also skarfelt moydow is in Aus atm, he any good?
PP laser is actually extremely safe, it's amazing how many lasers you can land nearly at point blank with this and still not get punished.

Moydow only entered a few tournaments here ever afaik and he did alright. Generally in Ireland there's a big gap between the top players and everyone else and he unfortunately fits into everyone else. I haven't seen him play in a few months though so hopefully he's better =O

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
pp laser is good and I use it a lot, but that giphy wasnt pp lasers, it was cbounce lasers which you can only do out of being in a running state, whereas you cant pp out of a running state.

ok cool, hopefully I'll get to play him at some point

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
C bounce pretty easy, you must be running, and then you have to let go of the control stick, and then quickly press both special and back (relative to where you are facing) on the cstick. The special and cstick inputs have to be on the exact same frame though which is a tricky timing to get, but the end result is you are running away and then you spin and instantly convert that distance to damage with a few lasers, if you can do it fluidly I think you could actually develop a somewhat decent run away laser game which could be super strong.
Also it only works with C-stick set to tilts.

I like how I said its pretty easy and then said its really hard.

It's a hard timing to get without heaps of practice, I still haven't got it fluid in games yet.

Last edited:

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Can you platform cancel his Fox Illusion like in other games? (well even if you could, i heard you can in melee and possibly brawl)

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
Have some questions, I'm considering picking up Falco so I thought Fox could go with him nicely.

Speaking of which, how would Fox + Falco be? Is that good or bad?

I'm fairly sure you play Fox as a rushdown character. If not how do you use him?

Any good guides I could see, youtube or on here would be great.

Thanks in advance, I'll edit if I have more questions.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Can you platform cancel his Fox Illusion like in other games? (well even if you could, i heard you can in melee and possibly brawl)
If you mean edge cancels, then no, not that I'm aware of.
Kinda off topic, but you have way too many "mains" lol.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Have some questions, I'm considering picking up Falco so I thought Fox could go with him nicely.

Speaking of which, how would Fox + Falco be? Is that good or bad?

I'm fairly sure you play Fox as a rushdown character. If not how do you use him?

Any good guides I could see, youtube or on here would be great.

Thanks in advance, I'll edit if I have more questions.
Fox + Falco isn't terrible: Falco does provide a bit more of a zoning game than Fox does, so you have some playstyle diversity there. They do share most of each other's weaknesses though.

Fox is best described as bait-and-punish with elements of rushdown. He doesn't have super safe approaches but his quick attacks and ability to close gaps fast make him able to punish most anything.

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor Based on my main and characters I can use (My signature) Which one would be the best option? I could turn those characters I use into secondaries or even mains if necessary, perhaps a different character altogether, as these characters are pretty bad MU and tier wise, except Yoshi

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know how many frame seconds someone has after hitting the ground to make a move? Would help with reading techs for usmashs

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Does anyone know how many frame seconds someone has after hitting the ground to make a move? Would help with reading techs for usmashs
pretty sure it's character dependent. i think it's anywhere from 4-6 frames, give or take.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
What are Fox'sledge coverage options?
if your question was "what moves does fox have that hits opponents on the ledge" then as top boss said, utilt (revese of course) and dsmash (usually will get you a kill if you land it)
there is also dtilt which doesnt really seem to get you anything but its much harder for them to punish a dtilt whiff then it is to punish a dsmash whiff.
Also Fsmash, if you are close enough to the ledge your fsmash will hit people on the ledge, most people dont know this so charging it a little bit while they sit on the ledge waiting for it to finish can net you a kill.

If your question was closer to "how does fox cover peoples get off the ledge options" let me know and I'll give you a more detailed answer for that.

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
I'm sorry if this was talked about somewhere else but I haven't seen it.

How does fox preform a dash attack into immediate turn around up tilt? I've seen several foxes do this and I can't decide if it's a PP or they're just turning around very quickly. Thanks

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, they are just turning around very quickly. It's possible to do this by holding diagonal away from where you are, and pressing up+a right as you can act. It gives you the turnaround, but still has a high enough angle on the controller to input an up tilt instead of an ftilt. You can also do this really easily by turning around and immediately hitting up on the C-stick (if it is set to attack, that is).

Hope this helps!

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Why does it seem like Fox can't handle Cloud (who is a hybrid of Shulk and Link)?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I sometimes get tripped up by Cloud's dtilt. Overall, though, it doesn't seem like a bad matchup for Fox so far.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Cloud's neutral is very good but once Fox is in Cloud is combo food. Uptilt just wrecks his days and it is important to juggle Cloud since his landing options are lackluster. Get him offstage and downsmash at the ledge to gimp him easily since his horizontal recovery is worse than Little Mac's

Again, the problem is getting in. At the same time, Cloud can't just Limit charge camp us since Fox has lasers

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I think Fox wins. It kinda takes a while to KO him vertically, so you can literally just stuff his recovery with up tilt/down smash and close out stocks pretty early.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I find myself locking people a lot with Fox' neutral air by accident, do you have any tips not locking?

And when i lock people, i never know how to punish, what should i use while they are open?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Mmm, while Fox has those Foxy combos (no pun intended), I'd still say Cloud, being a little faster than Fox, as well as Cloud's ability to be so swift, can still pose a great challenge. The only other character I can think fits in this category is Sonic.

colinies

Smash Cadet
NNID
CoLiNieS
Do you guys consistently use ledge trump b-air? It seems like a great option but I feel like I never see it used, its definitely not easy to execute but that hasn't stopped us in the past.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I use it sometimes. I usually end up missing the bair though.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
If I ledge trump, I just wait for either a ledge grab or some kind of jump. Up tilt and up air punish those options, respectively.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
The biggest things to remember with trumping are:

1. If you get the trump, bair may be hard to land because every character moves a different distance when trumped. If we learned these distances we might be able to land it consistently, but:

2. The opponent can just buffer a ledge option to escape it entirely. I'm not sure if we can punish this, but in general it makes landing trump bair really hard against good opponents

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
You gotta make your trump deceiving. If you're just standing by the ledge, waiting for the opponent to grab it, then you're being too obvious. Add some movement in there to give the opponent the impression that you're just positioning yourself onstage or whatever. Don't just stand there and wonder why your trump didn't work lol

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
What button setup do you folks use for auto cancel uair jumps?

I've tried analog stick with tap jump, l-shoulder, z, and up taunt button. I might try the r-shoulder as well. None of the buttons seem as easy and comfortable and the y button for short hops.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
TBH I still don't have a GC controller LOL. I'm supposed to get it tomorrow if Amazon tells the truth. Anyway, in brawl I tried Z jump and L jump, but I didn't like them very much personally. The L jump doesn't work because it takes too much effort to get the timing down for a short hop. The spring in the L button makes short hopping a pain. The Z button worked, but you will definitely need to practice using it for short hops if you want to get it consistently in matches. Or you could always use 3 fingers on the right side of the controller, with the thumb used for the C-stick, your pointer finger for ABXY and your middle finger for shielding. It's really a matter of what works for you, and what feels RIGHT for you. As long as you are consistent with your inputs, you should be fine, whatever you decide to do.

colinies

Smash Cadet
NNID
CoLiNieS
What button setup do you folks use for auto cancel uair jumps?

I've tried analog stick with tap jump, l-shoulder, z, and up taunt button. I might try the r-shoulder as well. None of the buttons seem as easy and comfortable and the y button for short hops.
I just press Y and then A with my thumb in one motion, works for me

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Which character should I stray away from using uair? Swordfighters like Cloud and Link dair disjoint totally beats uair for example. Trying other aerial approaches like bair and fair would be better against such fighters, correct?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Question: How does Fox murder his Fire Emblem opponents?

I don't speak Smash tech, so use Layman's terms.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if they is known or not but Fox's D-tilt has 4 angles of knockback ordered from closest to farthest(
45/65/80/90) The last angle is 90 degrees and at high percents this kill confirms. The pesky though is that since d-tilt has 4 angles of knockback you need to be spaced very well to the point where it's kinda annoying. The purple trail on his tail is not where the actual hitbox is so that is also deceptive. Since the hitbox is kinda strict, spacing yourself accordingly is very important if you wanna do this in an actual match. On the bright side though this works at really high percents(I only tested to 160) but that is still longer then u-tilt which is good. What also sets this apart from u-tilt is that you can sneak in a kill with this via double jab. I tried it on Mario at 110% and it killed. They can probably shield on landing but if they are not quick enough they are dead. I didn't make a vid b/c ppl may already know this but thats pretty much it.

EPM

Smash Cadet
Which character should I stray away from using uair? Swordfighters like Cloud and Link dair disjoint totally beats uair for example. Trying other aerial approaches like bair and fair would be better against such fighters, correct?
Not necessarily. I can't say there's any matchup where Fox's up air isn't a reliable and effective juggling tool, you just have to be smart about throwing it out. Obviously if you're not convinced it will hit, don't throw it out, and if your opponent is throwing an attack that up air doesn't beat, then don't up air. But I'd never say just don't use up air at all in certain matchups. Just don't get hit going for it.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Question: How does Fox murder his Fire Emblem opponents?

I don't speak Smash tech, so use Layman's terms.
Well, I'm not the smartest, but I normally shield Ike and Robin's approaches, and wait and punish Marth, Lucina, and Roy when they try to hit me.

I have trouble with Roy, but I normally run away from him and slowly rack on damage.

Take my help with a grain of salt. I'm not great but I may have been a help.

Top Bottom