• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Missile Tutorial

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
The video was a nice demonstration (I doubt I would have figured out those tricks on my own), but I do think I still got creative with Samus and Missile attacks. Well, Super Missiles, mostly, I didn't usually mix in Homing Missiles into the "Missile Gauntlet".

What I did end up doing, however, was preparing a Charged Shot, opening up with a Super Missile Volley, then suddenly ending it by firing my Charged Shot; the contrast in how fast the Charged Shot travels compared to Super Missiles seems to disorient some of the people I've played against if they aren't familiar with that tactic. Regardless, it's still difficult for my opponent to follow up a block, dodge, or a "reflect block" if I don't use the same number of Super Missiles in every volley before the Charged Shot finisher.

Good to see plenty of love for our galactic bounty hunter; Samus Aran.

Litt

Samus
Hey guys, ESAM here. I have noticed that every Samus, whether Melee or PM, doesn't shoot missiles at optimally as they could on certain platform heights (Battlefield, PS2, anything with Battlefield type platforms). Also, people aren't utilizing B-reverse missiles as much as they could since it is GODLIKE.

Here's a video!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mkiNoRLX8w

Breakdown for what platforms are similar

SIMILAR TO POKEMON STADIUM 1 PLATFORMS (aka godlike power missile camping)
Yoshi's Island (melee)
Warioware
Side platforms of Lylat Cruise

Similar to Battlefield (Combined missile camping, as discussed in the video)
Pokemon Stadium 2
Middle Lylat platform

Need to double jump or just double missile camp
Dreamland
Skyworld
Skyloft

So yeah, learn how to do missile stuff in more depth pl0x. It makes Samus a MUCH better character because her pressure becomes absolutely ridiculous.

<3
Yo Esam... next time you play wizzy's sonic, or well just a sonic in general... just spam down b bombs and retreat, the bombs out prioritize nearly every move sonic has with the exception of like fair, sonic cant grab you, or approach at all, if sonic tries to fair, just up B ooS, or bomb again backwards OoS... Match Up broken in samus's favor just because of one spamable move... sounds like mario now :/

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I could've used zair more/better and I definitely underuse bombs...which is bad.

Litt

Samus
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I could've used zair more/better and I definitely underuse bombs...which is bad.
Idk, I felt that zair in the sonic match up is too high risk for the little reward we get for it if the sonic is competent and just shields the attack, and then sonic can run in for a grab, just staying grounded in morphball rolling away into dtilt/jab/low angled forward tilt when sonic approaches or just constantly spamming bombs and retreating when sonic approaches, and when sonic isnt approaching, just go into the missile spam to make him approach. My favorite stage to pull this **** on is distant planet but its not legal in all tournies, + sonic can't stall under this stage, but samus can with wall jump neutral b reversals, and the lip of the stage protects us from sonic's spring platform when he tries to drop it on you when stalling with the wall jump b reversals.

Last edited:

Samuch

Smash Cadet
If only I could SHORT HOP constantly. I don't know if it's because I'm forced to use the Wii Controller for now, or if it's just as hard on the GC conch, but I ALWAYS full jump.

Litt

Samus
If only I could SHORT HOP constantly. I don't know if it's because I'm forced to use the Wii Controller for now, or if it's just as hard on the GC conch, but I ALWAYS full jump.
Son, its harder in melee to short hop... *CONSISTENTLY*... thats why its a competitive game because it requires practice, effort and skill, if you could just do everything the first time you tried, so could everyone else and there wouldn't be tournaments, stop complaining and just practice

Samuch

Smash Cadet
Son, its harder in melee to short hop... *CONSISTENTLY*... thats why its a competitive game because it requires practice, effort and skill, if you could just do everything the first time you tried, so could everyone else and there wouldn't be tournaments, stop complaining and just practice
You're right. I do spend a good amount of time in training. Although, I should be able to do it with the amount I've been playing hahaha.

JUST LET ME RANT! :p

Litt

Samus
You're right. I do spend a good amount of time in training. Although, I should be able to do it with the amount I've been playing hahaha.

JUST LET ME RANT! :p
No you should be able to do it... WHEN you master it, no sooner just because you think you put enough work in. If you have to post on here saying you should be able to do it by now... chances are you have no put enough time in... and by chances are, I mean you have not put enough time in, so stop ranting and complaining on here and actually practice more.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
After ******* around for 15 minutes or so when I first got PM, I had about a 80% success rate with my platform missile techs.

Like everyone's favorite pseudo-moderator said, it isn't difficult.

Samuch

Smash Cadet
After ****ing around for 15 minutes or so when I first got PM, I had about a 80% success rate with my platform missile techs.

Like everyone's favorite pseudo-moderator said, it isn't difficult.
Yeah, It's not that difficult. I already drop through platforms, or jump in the air, and shoot a missile right before I hit the ground all the time. So, on the bright side, I'm 50% there. Just need to work on them short hops and I'll have no problem.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
That's what the issue is, in my experience. I was explaining the tech to another Samus recently and he also said the short hop was his biggest problem.

It's something that just comes with practice. Keep doing it in training until it comes out consistently, and the AT itself will come fairly easily.

Litt

Samus
Yeah, It's not that difficult. I already drop through platforms, or jump in the air, and shoot a missile right before I hit the ground all the time. So, on the bright side, I'm 50% there. Just need to work on them short hops and I'll have no problem.
My method... get good with melee samus... PM samus becomes a cake walk

Narpas_sword

what about going back the other way? any tips?

We hardly play Melee in our flat anymore, its always PM.
Ive got nationals in October though =p i should really practice melee.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Ohmigawsh, the Samus legend ESAM liked my post! TY! <3

BRB, changing pants

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You just have to play a lot more precise when going from PM to Brawl. I played Melee first so I know the timings for both but PM samus is just soooo smooth.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
You just have to play a lot more precise when going from PM to Brawl. I played Melee first so I know the timings for both but PM samus is just soooo smooth.
I disagree, samus in the air in PM is much smoother but on the ground in neutral she is so jankey, and i feel the forward tilt is slightly slower to comes out slightly later because its an extending of her leg instead of her whole leg at once, but the jab pressure is much easier in PM and samus would be god tier if she had a crawl in melee

Spluvin

Smash Cadet
When I try to do the weak missile to platform I either do neutral b or fast missile about 50 % of the time. Is the tilt for weak missile very specific?

Smarf

Smash Rookie
When I try to do the weak missile to platform I either do neutral b or fast missile about 50 % of the time. Is the tilt for weak missile very specific?
Just make sure you're holding the direction you want to shoot when you press b, and to get it cancel onto the platform you need to press b pretty soon after you jump so it's a fast movement

Naggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
OfficialFelon
You can also just not fully press the stick all the way. like keep it between the dead zone (neutral position) and all the way to the right (or left) before you press b. Also you don't have to let go of the stick if you jump out of walking or dashing forward. Since you were already holding the control stick forward, when you hit b it will always be a homing missile.

Top Bottom