• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mirror of Truth or Palutena's Advice? Both available at all hours of the day

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
I do have replays of me doing it on a human, I will upload them tomorrow for you :) Also @ ReRaze ReRaze That seems like a problem on your side. I easily can fast fall while in the attack O-O

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I do have replays of me doing it on a human, I will upload them tomorrow for you :) Also @ ReRaze ReRaze That seems like a problem on your side. I easily can fast fall while in the attack O-O
Maybe its my control scheme idk lol, it does wierd things sometimes such as random back airs in the opposite direction.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
When i try the uair chain grab i cant fast fall in time to avoid the last hit (it doesnt seem to let me fastfall) unless i wait a little before the uair which results in my opponents escaping. any tips?
Maybe its my control scheme idk lol, it does wierd things sometimes such as random back airs in the opposite direction.
Don't worry I screw up and do a jump canceled usmash almost every time, bad muscle memory bad
If you really are struggling you can break it into parts
  1. you can practice Dthrow short hops
  2. you can practice short hop Uair cancels with platforms on something like battle field
  3. you practice Uair into grabs on taller characters (this one acts a bit funny if you only hit them with the outside hitbox of the move)

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
I get the kill one of four ways:
A. Whiff punishes. Normally a f smash when I see they've whiffed a move; sometimes side b, but mainly dash grabs. I like to dash behind fallen opponents for grab mix-ups, once they get tired of it, they try to predict it and catch a f smash to the face.

B. Frame traps. I use up air and nair to set up a vortex, and when they start air dodging I'll fast fall and going into another up air to dodge their attack or bypass their dodge, then once their in range. I'll throw them up, wait for the to fall and jump, if they dodge or attack, fast fall up smash (this is the easiest ways to get kills because of how easy it is to get opponents to dodge with dark and up smash has good vertical range), if they do nothing I nair. If you're god like you can jump to scout, see the dodge, jump through them and bair for the kill. Or just plan to bair them predicting the dodge.

C. Edge Guards. Dair is amazing off stage. Either it spikes or sets up another edge guard. If you miss the sweet spot, up b to the ledge and wait for them to come back and hit the with another aerial, any aerial because they are all amazing off stage. If you're still god like you can position yourself to fall (fast fall if you're rambo) onto the recovering opponent's head, scouting the dodge, and react with a hop dair (assuming they jump with their dodge), or simply wait for the invul to run out and foot stool, for better recovering opponents, you can be ready with the dair for when they try to come back from the stool, or just stool them again. Down b is extremely effective against characters like ness who have slow activating recovery moves.

Up b'ing to the ledge from trumps and get kills. If you fail a guard, go back to the ledge, you can hop and down b to deny some characters their ledge snap, bair for the kill, dair to spike or send them back, up air as a trap (which can kill at high percents).
the pits live off stage because the come back from just about anywhere using just their up b, edge guarding is a great way to tack on damage and get kills.

D. An airborne neutral game. I jump once towards the opponent and react appropriately, if they throw a projectile, I fair from the appropriate height. If I jump towards and they just block, I jump back and punish their next commit with a bair, if they still do nothing, i'll fast fall grab next time. Hovering the opponent with dairs to punish another that's not them blocking is great, just don't hit the sweet spot until their at about ~90 (it can combo into kill moves f smash/up smash). All of his aerials are great if they try to contest you in the air or approach you with hops.

In a nutshell, play as solid as possible. If you're going to side b, do it either when you not it's going to hit or if you feel your opponent is getting desperate for some damage. I believe the key to getting kills with dark is to utilize his multiple jumps to evade damage while you're constantly punishing. Although it may not seem like a direct answer to getting kills, the goal is to use dark's strength's to buy time, so that he can use and set up his kill moves because his moves don't really kill early and they aren't safe just throw out, not to mention that pit isn't exactly heavy, so often you'll die trying to get the kill. Dark has great mix ups, good priority moves, and amazing recovery; we have to use these three things to their fullest to make up for our lack of kill power. The reason I've been referencing to Dark pit as Dark, and not just pit, is because pit's have an easier time killing than us. We can't depend on our side b to kill reliably because it's not worth the risk.

does anyone else have any kill set ups they would be willing to share?

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Also to note that just like Fox and Falco's Illusion/Phantasm, Pit's Side B also has less lag if you land with it, meaning if you do an ultra quick short jump and side B afterwards you'll gently slightly hoover across the stage and land fast with less lag.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
does dark pit have options to hit the opponent on the ledge? like maybe a pivot dair?

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Of course but I think its not impossible. ^^ As Darkpit, its more difficult than Pit but I gave just one example. You could use it to combine attacks with the arrow on the ground like Pits.

waddicto

Smash Rookie
NNID
waddicto
From my For Glory playing, I've seen that often Upperdash Arm seems stronger right after reflecting a projectile, both aerial and grounded versions. And a recent match I just had seemed to confirm that. I Side B'd into a Mega Man's lemon while attempting to recover and as a result, I hit the Mega Man and KO'd him at 140 using an Aerial Side B.
As far as I know, Aerial Side B doesn't KO until absurdly high percentages.

Otsillac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gobbledy-gooker
Yeah, I've noticed this, too. At first I thought it was the uppercut and the projectile hitting at the same time, but the Upperdash Arm sends projectiles at angle, so yeah...don't know what the deal is here.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
he was probably charging a smash attack which makes him easier to kill

waddicto

Smash Rookie
NNID
waddicto
he was probably charging a smash attack which makes him easier to kill
Like I said, I reflected a lemon, or Mega Man's jab/ftilt/nair so unless the Mega Man had 20XX TAS speeds he couldn't have been able to charge a smash attack in such a short time.

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
I thought the chain grab was down throw -> weak nair. That's the way i've been doing it since i picked up Pit. Is it better to down throw -> uair, or should i just be consistent with they way i know how to chain grab?

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
From my understanding, Down throw > nair isnt legit at all. you would have to fastfall to the ground not allowing the last hit to come out giving you landing lag as the move doesnt AC that fast.

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
Yeah, you do fastfall, but then you don't get landing lag, or if you do it's minimized or its enough that you can follow up with a grab. I think you have to dash grab to do it tho. Kinda a combination of a chain grab and a tech chase. It's weird, like yoh can usually get them before they can tech on the ground, but you don't exactly stand in place.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
From my understanding, Down throw > nair isnt legit at all. you would have to fastfall to the ground not allowing the last hit to come out giving you landing lag as the move doesnt AC that fast.
Yeah, you do fastfall, but then you don't get landing lag, or if you do it's minimized or its enough that you can follow up with a grab. I think you have to dash grab to do it tho. Kinda a combination of a chain grab and a tech chase. It's weird, like yoh can usually get them before they can tech on the ground, but you don't exactly stand in place.
Pit's landing lag on both Uair and Nair are over 20 frames, Both of these moves do not autocancel at all before the hitboxes leave and this game has frame canceling (not L canceling) which is not possible with this maneuver. Uair just has more hitstun so you won't be punished as much should they catch on to your chain grab. Keep in mind Pit's chain grab should be situational

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
From my For Glory playing, I've seen that often Upperdash Arm seems stronger right after reflecting a projectile, both aerial and grounded versions. And a recent match I just had seemed to confirm that. I Side B'd into a Mega Man's lemon while attempting to recover and as a result, I hit the Mega Man and KO'd him at 140 using an Aerial Side B.
As far as I know, Aerial Side B doesn't KO until absurdly high percentages.
this could have to do with the hitbox push, which is used in moves like upperdash (example: raptor boost). as they have some really weird glitches where they kill someone much before they should. I have no idea how to recreate these, but I have seen and been playing when the happened. I don't know about the hitbox getting stronger after reflecting projectiles, but I could take a look into it when I get some free time.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
this could have to do with the hitbox push, which is used in moves like upperdash (example: raptor boost). as they have some really weird glitches where they kill someone much before they should. I have no idea how to recreate these, but I have seen and been playing when the happened. I don't know about the hitbox getting stronger after reflecting projectiles, but I could take a look into it when I get some free time.
Is it like mii brawlers piston punch? but doesnt that normally happen with multihit moves, and doesnt upperdash and raptor boost only hit once.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Is it like mii brawlers piston punch? but doesnt that normally happen with multihit moves, and doesnt upperdash and raptor boost only hit once.
the hitbox push is generally used as an identifier to say "object is here do uppercut now" so a 0 damage hitbox that isn't even a windbox isn't technically two hits (even though for the damaging part of the move the hitbox push has to connect with something). Now moves with the hitbox push seems to have funny effects with KO power. If it weren't that way, mathematically figuring when Uppercut kills would be around 120~140 instead of getting like 180. So push has to be doing something that effects knockback

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
the hitbox push is generally used as an identifier to say "object is here do uppercut now" so a 0 damage hitbox that isn't even a windbox isn't technically two hits
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this part. Can you rephrase?

In either case, niche doubles strategy haha!

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this part. Can you rephrase?

In either case, niche doubles strategy haha!
It's a bit difficult to rephrase even more, (the first part) but basically there is a hitbox on upper dash arm that does 0 damage. This hitbox is in the same place of the hitbox that does damage. should this 0 damage hitbox connects with something (item or fighter) then the damaging uppercut hitbox comes out.
(the second part) moves that don't deal damage/KB don't count in combos even if they hit spot on

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Pit's landing lag on both Uair and Nair are over 20 frames, Both of these moves do not autocancel at all before the hitboxes leave and this game has frame canceling (not L canceling) which is not possible with this maneuver. Uair just has more hitstun so you won't be punished as much should they catch on to your chain grab. Keep in mind Pit's chain grab should be situational
20 frames O_O you crazy? i just tested. Pits up air does 10 while pits nair does around 13. Also its not a techchase XD thats when you follow them and punish their tech. Its literally just a grab. But nair chain grab seems dodgy and doesnt work when ever ive tried.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Damn O_O how did he test it. I feel like i did it properly and it failed ;-;

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Damn O_O how did he test it. I feel like i did it properly and it failed ;-;
for landing lag he didn't test it himself, he pulled it from a Japanese post somewhere. I'll add an edit if I find fast enough
edit : original post here

Last edited:

AdventCross

Smash Rookie
Out of curiosity, are there are substantial differences between the wii u and 3ds mechanics ? I've seen video guides for DP, but mostly on the 3ds, And i want to know if those techniques would transfer over to the console version.

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
Hello Pit boards! I started maining Pit and I just wanted to introduce myself and ask if there are any AT's or important things to keep in mind when playing him. The fundamentals of gameplay transfer over nicely from other characters but there's gotta be some Pit specific things I should watch for right? An example of one I already know is that I save my side-b as a surprise kill move. Or the F-throw kills just things like that that I should be aware of.

Thanks and advance and glad to be a part of Pit Boards! :p

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
What kind of basic combos does Dark pit have?
They're mostly the same as Pit's.

At a low percentage, D-thrown into Up Smash is a true combo, and a pretty awesome one at that.
D-throw into Nair or Uair is always a fun improve combo.

....Wait, that post is from February? Jeez this forum is dead.
Out of curiosity, are there are substantial differences between the wii u and 3ds mechanics ? I've seen video guides for DP, but mostly on the 3ds, And i want to know if those techniques would transfer over to the console version.
As far as I'm aware, there's no real difference between the two.
The game game mechanics are near identical, if not entirely identical.

Last edited:

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
It's too bad i never win any of the matches... I just always get the feeling that i'm getting insulted from the other side of the spectrum due to how i'm playing a controversial character... mmk...

waddicto

Smash Rookie
NNID
waddicto
I had a match quite a while ago where I spiked someone with dtilt. And I don't mean meteor smash, it had a similar trajectory to Marth's melee dair. I uploaded a quick video of the spike itself;

I'm not sure if this is just a stage spike, or if Pit's dtilt actually does spike.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
that definitely did not look like a stage spike, so it probably is pit's dtilit (hopefully, cuz then his dtilt will actually be useful), amazing find!

Last edited:

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Did it make the "spike" sound effect? That should be the tell-tale sign. I do know that sometimes the wall-bounce effect doesn't show even if it does stagespike. In any case, I need to know what happened here.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
Pit does have this spike on his dtilt in Brawl and PM, but until now I don't think anyone had confirmed its existence in Sm4sh. Guess we know our answer now though! Good find! : D I wonder how many characters it works on since I think it only worked on a few in the other games. Also wonder if Dark Pit has it, though I presume he does.

waddicto

Smash Rookie
NNID
waddicto
If by spike sound effect you mean the "whoosh", then no, actually. It just made a normal dtilt sound, which is why I'm suspicious of it being a stage spike.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
that definitely did not look like a stage spike, so it probably is pit's dtilit (hopefully, cuz then his dtilt will actually be useful), amazing find!
I've found his dtilt useful in general, nice and quick and cool how he steps forward a bit to extend the range.

Anyway, this is great, as it may be a good option to hit people who re-grab a ledge. For some reason Down Smash hasn't been working for that, though maybe I'm just not hitting with the right part of the blade?

Top Bottom