• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Tilts and smashes are all usable. I'm trying to use all of them regularly now. You just have to use them when someone is trying to hit you. Against sheik I'll throw out a smash attack when she is at kill percent. Sheik won't be able to kill me without setting up some kind of move from close range. All of Palutena's smashes out prioritize and out range sheiks everything so... might as well throw something out. They need to be close at some point. and they'll end up dying for it.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Tilts and smashes are all usable. I'm trying to use all of them regularly now. You just have to use them when someone is trying to hit you. Against sheik I'll throw out a smash attack when she is at kill percent. Sheik won't be able to kill me without setting up some kind of move from close range. All of Palutena's smashes out prioritize and out range sheiks everything so... might as well throw something out. They need to be close at some point. and they'll end up dying for it.
Or she can just shield and bouncing fish...:/

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Or she can just shield and bouncing fish...:/
If sheik is approaching to start fairing me I can up smash. It's not a random run up and smash attack. It's more like a defensive maneuver. Up smash is probably the best for using though. It's literally a surprise wall that can kill if someone approaches.

You can use f tilt the same exact way but with longer hit boxes. D tilt has a lot of range too. It's a pretty good move now. I'm fine with its end lag. I feel like it would be even better with quicker start up.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
If sheik is approaching to start fairing me I can up smash. It's not a random run up and smash attack. It's more like a defensive maneuver. Up smash is probably the best for using though. It's literally a surprise wall that can kill if someone approaches.

You can use f tilt the same exact way but with longer hit boxes. D tilt has a lot of range too. It's a pretty good move now. I'm fine with its end lag. I feel like it would be even better with quicker start up.
I also use up smash for the same defensive wall use, I still find forward tilt to be useless because of it's start-up and end lag so I rarely use it for anything other than catching a spot dodge and that's about it. Also, her down smash sweet spot does allot of shield damage now, was it always like this? Because I've broken several shields with it already catching a spot-shielding or roll-shielding (inperfect shields of course)

I miss forward tilt's third hit ;_;

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I don't really see the use in ftilt. It kills spot dodges, but so does a well timed jab1 or smash and the reward there is better. Utilt is of course a great anti air but has rare use. Dtilt isn't as underwhelming as ftilt but against when all her damage comes off of jab1 I don't see the use in it outside of hitting kirby when he's ducking under everything.

When I Fsmash it's almost always a pivot smash. It's slower than pretty much anything (slow enough to shield on reaction) and most of the time people aren't swinging outside their range when you're stationary so changing the spacing is the only way I feel like it's going to land. It's a pretty big Hail Mary though, if it's blocked or misses we get bonked hard.

Dsmash feels useless to me. It's like a more punishable Fsmash that you can't pivot. The shield damage thing is interesting though, might be worth looking into if I have a hard read.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Correct me if I'm wrong but does the wind box on down smash go up?
Go up? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that but I'll just say no. The angle is not upwards, exactly, and the hitboxes are straight horizontal in placement. Vertical reach on the windbox is slightly better than the hitbox iirc, though.

Also, what's this about Dsmash and shield damage I'm hearing? It doesn't have increased shield damage while Fmsash has a miniscule amount of bonus shield damage if that's something.

Something nice about Dsmash is that it has a lot weirder "correct DI" angles. While that's a gimmicky reason it'll still get KOs. The low angles are also better near the stage edges than Fsmash's hit angle.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Go up? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that but I'll just say no. The angle is not upwards, exactly, and the hitboxes are straight horizontal in placement. Vertical reach on the windbox is slightly better than the hitbox iirc, though.

Also, what's this about Dsmash and shield damage I'm hearing? It doesn't have increased shield damage while Fmsash has a miniscule amount of bonus shield damage if that's something.

Something nice about Dsmash is that it has a lot weirder "correct DI" angles. While that's a gimmicky reason it'll still get KOs. The low angles are also better near the stage edges than Fsmash's hit angle.
I think she gives off a large amount of shield damage when you hit with the sweet spot of her down smash that can break shields pressured shields

as for the wind box thing, I was wondering if it went at an upward vertical angle and not a horizontal angle

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Ehh, well, her Dsmash doesn't have any bonus shield damage on the sweet-spot or sour-spot I believe. It does 15% on the sweet-spot, which is almost 1/3 of a fresh shield. That's not particularly impressive considering how hard it is to wear a shield down to 1/3, and then you are almost guaranteed to be punished for using Dsmash and getting blocked...

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I kinda feel there's an almost Dan Hibiki-esque prestige in clearing a tourney with Palutena.

Kinda inspires me to keep with her.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Nnn noT you shading your own character like that.
Maybe Paletunas are like the ol' Zeldas gorl. I don't think you'll ever fully escape your Zeldawfulhood. :secretkpop:

The data thread is slowed a little atm because I'm not fully in the swing of my college workload yet. I need to add WiiU KO Potential numbers, yes, that's a thing now for the thread since I now own a WiiU. I've also not finished the grabs/throws data yet. I've got all of the GIFs now though which looks good. I could probably open a thread anytime now tbh, but I'm gonna make sure I feel ready to do so.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nah, Palutena's serviceable, she just has to work harder than most other characters to get good results.

But damn it the satisfaction of a job well done is just amplified tenfold by that~

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Hey guys. I'm going to be heading over to a tourney soon on 9/5 with Palu. So wish me luck.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Weekend just gone, I attended my first ever major Smash event. I didn't break out of pools (Top 2 advanced and I placed 3rd against a guy I know I can beat, I was a little salty about that but over it now) and got 9th in Doubles which I can't complain about, although I know we could have done better.

But what I got to see was... Zero Suit Samus vs. Palutena Grand Finals.

Maaaan, this guy made her look like a fast top-tier character (no Customs, either). Palutena's always been my secondary to Shulk, but I've never been brave enough to use her in tournaments and I think seeing those matches was the inspiration I needed to give her a real shot again. I was kind of avoiding her because I've not put much serious time into using her, and I feel she suffers against the same characters as Shulk for the same reasons (slow attacks make it easier for the fast guys.) But I'll be damned if she isn't fun. Jab->grab da best.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Weekend just gone, I attended my first ever major Smash event. I didn't break out of pools (Top 2 advanced and I placed 3rd against a guy I know I can beat, I was a little salty about that but over it now) and got 9th in Doubles which I can't complain about, although I know we could have done better.

But what I got to see was... Zero Suit Samus vs. Palutena Grand Finals.

Maaaan, this guy made her look like a fast top-tier character (no Customs, either). Palutena's always been my secondary to Shulk, but I've never been brave enough to use her in tournaments and I think seeing those matches was the inspiration I needed to give her a real shot again. I was kind of avoiding her because I've not put much serious time into using her, and I feel she suffers against the same characters as Shulk for the same reasons (slow attacks make it easier for the fast guys.) But I'll be damned if she isn't fun. Jab->grab da best.
Please do. :)

I was actually super impressed every time I got a glimpse of your Shulk too. Good ones are rare.

http://www.twitch.tv/perthsmash/v/13561969

The top 8 from the tourney is here. Please excuse my horrible teleports. I think it was mostly pressure getting to me...

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Please do. :)

I was actually super impressed every time I got a glimpse of your Shulk too. Good ones are rare.

http://www.twitch.tv/perthsmash/v/13561969

The top 8 from the tourney is here. Please excuse my horrible teleports. I think it was mostly pressure getting to me...
Kind of hoped you'd see me post here, I vaguely remembered seeing an M last time I was on this part of the boards. :p

I'm kind of surprised you saw my Shulk since I scrubbed out Day 1 and had the one Doubles match Day 2, plus some friendlies near the end, but I'm glad to hear the praise. I want to make the joke that "I'm BestShulkAU OnlyShulkAU" but I think our Pit and one of our Fox players having him as secondary. I glanced across at the stream at one point and there was some guy I've never seen playing him too - glad to see him getting some love. Really need to work on my timing for MALLC though, and I think over the weekend I learned that if I want to join the rest of you at the top, I need to work on reading my opponents better and not being so predictable myself. Yourself and a lot of the other top guys seemed to have it sorted. I think it comes down to experience and recognising what the opponent is able to do in different situations. I need to find ways to battle more top players offline, since my internet connection makes people cry... certainly going to be rewatching some of these matches and learning :)

Anyway, yeah. I need to take a break from Smash to catch up on life, but when I come back I'll be picking her up, along with maybe, like... Luigi or ZSS or something. I played Palutena in friendlies against the guy who knocked me out of the pool, and got a pretty convincing win. If only I'd played her in Game 3 :laugh:

Last edited:

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I'm actually surprised you saw. I typically just lurk.

I'm always excited to see Shulk players in tourney, he's one of my fave characters too. (but damned if I can put in the effort to learn him) I'm super keen to see how you improve, Shulk and other low tier (imo) characters always bring the hype. I think that was the only reason I had the crowd backing me in a lot of my matches. Until I knocked out Perth's last hope. Then I became the villain. :p

I don't think you'll have too much trouble picking up Palutena. To be perfectly honest, she's quite simple once you know which moves to abuse in the neutral. And know how to bait jumps.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I was certainly going for you... once we hit Grand Finals :) low-tier hero. Sakurai, please nerf ZSS' rage zair knockback :laugh:

Playing Palutena, I have way too much fun conditioning my opponent to air dodge after dthrow, and just charge-usmashing them instead. She's the only character I've actually learned to do anything like that with. Warping past players trying to edgeguard feels good, too. I figure I should be mostly revolving around grab, jab, fair and bair, sometimes nair and dash attack when in neutral since they're fairly safe. Her tilts and smashes are pretty situational. I know I've already got my spacing game down with all the Shulk action, so I'm hoping I won't have too much trouble with her either.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Dash attack is very unsafe

Completely free if you see them do a meaty move though
It's why I said "maybe", haha. I'll have to play around a bit more to figure it out. Maybe the shield isn't as useful as I thought.

Let me rephrase: "It's better than Shulk's."

Edit: Now that I think about it, they're probably both similar. Short start-up, kind of lunges forward, potential kill move if they're high enough, horrendous endlag. But one of them has a shield.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I got back from my tourney, and I almost made it to the finals. I used Palutena for the majority of it, and only used Mario once. People was laughing when they saw me pick Palutena, than stopped laughing when I won.

I lost due to an error I made. I missed the ledge on battlefield, after chasing a Falcon off the stage. Sad part is I almost won that match, and would have been sent to the finals. But hey, can't win all of them, and there's always next time.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
I've been using U-Tilt and Down-Tilt a little more lately. I play Palutena a lot, but I feel like I don't mix it up a lot. I do the usually jab-grab-downthrow combo, Fair pressuring, Dash Attacks here and there, Nairs on jump reads, and whatever else. I mean... I guess I probably DO mix up, but I feel like I'm not mixing up enough when I'm not using other "looked-down-upon" moves. Down-Tilt has the least end lag of all her tilts, so I can shield somewhat safely after it. The downside to D-Tilt is how vulnerable she looks throughout the animation (is it just me?). I'm experimenting with the useful of using U-Tilt in these 3 ways:

1. Against people coming at me from the air
2. Using it out of shield
3. When someone rolls into me

We'll see how things go. Does anyone here do really well with mixing up her ground game?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I feel that mixing things up for the sake of mixing things up is inefficient. I look at dtilt and I wonder why I would use it most of the time over Jab 1, which thanks to jab -> grab gives you better reward and better setups, all with less risk. Dtilt is much slower on both startup and cooldown and doesn't give much reward. It has more range, but jab is no sleeper on that front. It can at least be used to hit characters who can crouch under many of our moves, like Kirby.

Utilt definitely has it's uses, especially vs. jump ins.

Anyways, I'm not saying be predictable, but if the stuff you're mixing up doesn't actually change how your opponent has to react to it you're not really gaining anything out of it. Don't use bad moves just because no one uses them. Use them if you can think of a way that they give you an actual benefit over the moves you generally use.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
The downside to D-Tilt is how vulnerable she looks throughout the animation (is it just me?).
Except from the part where she's protected from behind with the shield. It sure saved me from one of Lucina's side smashes.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
While I agree trying to use mixups for the sake of it can be a bad thing, I think limiting your options is just as bad, or even worst. Yes, Jab is a very safe, and effective move; it can lead to a number of combo routes, and can be shielded quickly if missed; but using DTilt also has it's uses as well. It can bait out dodgers and shields, gives the player priority for follow ups, and is a safe move to use altogether.

It's not meant to be a comboing option, it's meant to be a pursuing option. Sending your opponent in that weird horizontal angle can put "off stage" play in your favor.

This is just how I personally feel from my own experiences. Of course, every player is different, so do what is more comfortable for you.

Anyway, @ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit , are you up for any matches? It's been awhile. If you are just let me know when's a good time.

Dan_O

Smash Rookie
On the topic of D-tilt, I've found that it can set up for Autoreticle locks at low-mid to middle percents on a missed tech since the angle it sends enemies at is so low. A little after D-tilt first starts to cause knockdown (17% for Puff, 26% for Bowser), an immidiate Autoreticle will connect on a downed opponent and force a getup that you can punish with a slightly charged up-smash, which'll do 16-17%, or start a grab combo. At later percents you'll have to full hop to create the angle for the lock, but can still follow up with an up-smash or grab combo if pulled off correctly.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
While I agree trying to use mixups for the sake of it can be a bad thing, I think limiting your options is just as bad, or even worst. Yes, Jab is a very safe, and effective move; it can lead to a number of combo routes, and can be shielded quickly if missed; but using DTilt also has it's uses as well. It can bait out dodgers and shields, gives the player priority for follow ups, and is a safe move to use altogether.

It's not meant to be a comboing option, it's meant to be a pursuing option. Sending your opponent in that weird horizontal angle can put "off stage" play in your favor.

This is just how I personally feel from my own experiences. Of course, every player is different, so do what is more comfortable for you.

Anyway, @ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit , are you up for any matches? It's been awhile. If you are just let me know when's a good time.
I don't play anymore except for taking snapshots. If I ever get in the mood to playing again, I'd be restricted to Palu dittos and fighting regular Pit til I could get back on my feet for being rusty, as lame as it sounds.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I don't play anymore except for taking snapshots. If I ever get in the mood to playing again, I'd be restricted to Palu dittos and fighting regular Pit til I could get back on my feet for being rusty, as lame as it sounds.
It's cool. I just wanted to see if you were up for matches, but it's all good.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Hey, everyone.

It's been a few days since the last post and things have been rather negative for the last few pages so I'll spice things up with a little positivity:

The VOD, for those interested:
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingknights1/v/16245047

Seeing and hearing about so many Palutenas do well lately (by lately I mean the last couple months or so) has left me inspired. I really wanna get better so I can achieve stuff like this, too.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Except she's had several adjustments to her frame data on certain moves????? They even made our grabs faster, which is pretty important.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Except she's had several adjustments to her frame data on certain moves????? They even made our grabs faster, which is pretty important.
They're very minor. And all she really got in the 8 patches was fixed hit boxes, angles, and a nerfed forward tilt :/

Everything needs to cut 3 frames of start up and end lag if we actually want to get somewhere. I have an entire list of specific buffs but knowing Sakurai he's probably just going to buff something stupid like Rosalina's up tilt or something stupid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom