• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Downloading the patch as we speak.

Will return with impressions shortly - I have heard all of Palutena's tilts have been sped up, though I've also heard conflicting evidence debunking this notion. I think we'd know if that's the case. I'll check it out myself.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice

Will return with impressions shortly - I have heard all of Palutena's tilts have been sped up, though I've also heard conflicting evidence debunking this notion. I think we'd know if that's the case. I'll check it out myself.
I can't see any difference with her ftilt or utilt, but her dtilt is faster for sure.

Her fsmash seems a little bit stronger, and I think it had its range increased too...

Can't say more than that for now.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
It feels like her down air has a little more range to it? Not sure because I don't use it that often in her options.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman

I mean, I had 2 screens sitting side by side and I went through every single move.

I had THREE other people on Skype (Ninjalink, etc.) testing it as well.

Aerolink on facebook backs up the same claims.

Literally no changes besides the one I mentioned. Are people in denial that bad that you guys are trying to find something?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Tried out and I don't see much difference in speed of tilts.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Feels like her dash grab connects more consistently, but perhaps it's just my imagination. :/

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Testing Ladypal out now. I can confirm that her tilts remain unchanged.

Were her wings always this big? I feel like her f-smash and d-smash have better range.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I don't have an old version to compare but I honestly think fsmash has greater range; it seems to hit all the way to the tip of the wings now. Could be mistaken.

Dair hitbox also seems bigger to me, but I rarely use it and was also convinced that dtilt was faster and it's apparently not.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
FSmash always hit with the tip of the wings. This was the sour spot.

DAir hitbox was one of the first things I tested. It's still possible to whiff standing right next to an opponent.

DTilt speed was increased in the last patch. I really don't think they'd increase the same move twice. If there is a change to DTilt, we're talking the difference of like... 1 to 2 frames.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I was hoping for some fun changes but with diddy/sheik nerfed I'm not really complaining. Palutena is weak when they can get in and nerfing them really helps make her more solid.

Luigi seems unchanged though and they say pikachu got buffs though... palu vs pikachu might be even worse.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ TsuKiyoMe TsuKiyoMe , it's not even that the wings hit on the tip (I'm familiar with that little detail), just that they seem longer. Like there's a few extra pixels at the tapering point that weren't there previously.

I could very easily be imagining this, of course. Just thought I'd share my data. :3

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't see any changes to her standard move-set. :ohwell:
Customs, I have no idea. :confused:

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
@ TsuKiyoMe TsuKiyoMe , it's not even that the wings hit on the tip (I'm familiar with that little detail), just that they seem longer. Like there's a few extra pixels at the tapering point that weren't there previously.

I could very easily be imagining this, of course. Just thought I'd share my data. :3
I'll go test this for you on my lunch break just to see if I'm wrong. I really don't see any changes though.

But seriously though for those of you guys who didn't think I didn't test everything:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dFVyGcwlPAtIETxAGgzKTC1HIDPMgZDVzCIk4EEysNg/pubhtml

The KO percents are taken from known data and double checked by me. Rage is not factored in for normal moves. Customs have rage percents cause I was lazy.

Hecate

Smash Rookie
NNID
kjb345
Despite the fact that they barely even touched her in the new patch, I'm pretty happy that she did get an indirect buff from Sheik and Diddy getting nerfed.

pnkgoldcatpeach

Smash Cadet
the only things I noticed (not sure if placebo)

-ftilt and utilt start immediately, still have end lag
-auto reticle bullets travel faster, and there is no end lag on that move (when the last bullet hits, you can do whatever you want to)

again, not sure if placebo

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
the only things I noticed (not sure if placebo)

-ftilt and utilt start immediately, still have end lag
-auto reticle bullets travel faster, and there is no end lag on that move (when the last bullet hits, you can do whatever you want to)

again, not sure if placebo
According to the majority of the Palutena players here, it's a placebo effect.

She didn't get any major changes at all, only some super speed install change.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Even if her tilts were faster she'd still be bottom tier... I hate that everyone thinks thats the one thing needed to save her.....

She needs reliable kill options. Speed up her smash attacks and she'll be way better.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Even if her tilts were faster she'd still be bottom tier... I hate that everyone thinks thats the one thing needed to save her.....

She needs reliable kill options. Speed up her smash attacks and she'll be way better.
I would prefer a healthy mix of both. Decent tilts alongside faster smash attacks or a potent kill throw would be nice.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm actually pretty content with how she is now. I like drawing my opponent out into the open before vapourising them with divine justice. :3

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually pretty content with how she is now.
As much as I would like the character I play to become "easier" to play, I still don't want it to become easier, because then people would flock to said character. While it sounds silly, I have always liked to play that underdog character and make something good out of it, even though I will have a harder time with it.

Honestly speaking, I think I have won the majority of my For Glory matches because I just play Palutena, and people aren't used to meet and deal with her.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
As much as I would like the character I play to become "easier" to play, I still don't want it to become easier, because then people would flock to said character. While it sounds silly, I have always liked to play that underdog character and make something good out of it, even though I will have a harder time with it.
As a Zelda and Palutena main, I know exactly where you're coming from with this.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
While it sounds silly, I have always liked to play that underdog character and make something good out of it, even though I will have a harder time with it.

Honestly speaking, I think I have won the majority of my For Glory matches because I just play Palutena, and people aren't used to meet and deal with her.
Same here, it also makes me feel unique since almost nobody uses her on FG. Except for that one guy that destroyed me like nothing, but that's what I get for not understanding the match-up.

I also win most of my matches with Pal, though I'm trying to use other characters as well (characters I like, by the way).

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
wtf M2K is playing Palutena grand finals against Nairo's ZSS
I'm honestly not surprised. He's only using her because of how good her customs are. Part of me is happy, and annoyed at the same time. Happy Pally's getting love, but annoyed that it's only because of her customs. It's almost like top tier dependency all over again. I'm assuming EF/SS/LW/Warp is the set... the upcoming mainstream set, and here I am using my favorite set, being all defaults cept for fireworks.

Now I made myself sad. :(

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I'm honestly not surprised. He's only using her because of how good her customs are. Part of me is happy, and annoyed at the same time. Happy Pally's getting love, but annoyed that it's only because of her customs. It's almost like top tier dependency all over again. I'm assuming EF/SS/LW/Warp is the set... the upcoming mainstream set, and here I am using my favorite set, being all defaults cept for fireworks.

Now I made myself sad. :(
There's nothing to be sad about -_-;; Palutena is not a pick me up character. This is not a character you pocket or even as a secondary; This is a character you constantly need of maintenance even for Palutena primary mains. We need more people and ESPECIALLY people like M2K to find more things about Palutena. Right now she's just nowhere near her potential and her development honestly has been slow. Seeing M2K actually consider to invest in Palutena makes me quite happy because that reaffirms just how much actual potential Palutena contains. After the Diddy nerf, you can tell M2K is indeed searching for the next character to invest many hours and hours in. It's a big decision for especially for pros. And HE'S CONSIDERING PALUTENA. How is that not good news?

And yep it was 2312, but I honestly think more people will move to Jump Glide in the near future.

And dude screw Palutena's default customs. 2322/1322 all the way.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
There's nothing to be sad about -_-;; Palutena is not a pick me up character. This is not a character you pocket or even as a secondary; This is a character you constantly need of maintenance even for Palutena primary mains. We need more people and ESPECIALLY people like M2K to find more things about Palutena. Right now she's just nowhere near her potential and her development honestly has been slow. Seeing M2K actually consider to invest in Palutena makes me quite happy because that reaffirms just how much actual potential Palutena contains. After the Diddy nerf, you can tell M2K is indeed searching for the next character to invest many hours and hours in. It's a big decision for especially for pros. And HE'S CONSIDERING PALUTENA. How is that not good news?

And yep it was 2312, but I honestly think more people will move to Jump Glide in the near future.

And dude screw Palutena's default customs. 2322/1322 all the way.

That bottom one offends me because I actually love Warp and Reflect. As with many moves that need respect, it is those 2 moves and others that other chars have that don't get love.
For me, Warp Cancels are self-explanatory, not to mention Warp can help you get outta some situations when your opponent likes keeping you above them. Reflect, not only being a reflector, is a move that knocks ppl outta their shields and does it faster than grabs + some pushing effects can ruin ppl sometimes, especially if they're in the air. I just prefer Autoreticle over EF as I don't like its extra lag if you miss it. Fireworks... quick kills if you juggle well, and is one of my best weapons on low ceilings like Halberd.

It takes dedication to respect some things that many ppl don't like. Sadly for Heavenly Light, it's only good for healing Ness and being the ultimate weapon for Trophy Rush.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm trying to experiment with doing Reflect OoS sometimes.

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
That bottom one offends me because I actually love Warp and Reflect. As with many moves that need respect, it is those 2 moves and others that other chars have that don't get love.
For me, Warp Cancels are self-explanatory, not to mention Warp can help you get outta some situations when your opponent likes keeping you above them. Reflect, not only being a reflector, is a move that knocks ppl outta their shields and does it faster than grabs + some pushing effects can ruin ppl sometimes, especially if they're in the air. I just prefer Autoreticle over EF as I don't like its extra lag if you miss it. Fireworks... quick kills if you juggle well, and is one of my best weapons on low ceilings like Halberd.

It takes dedication to respect some things that many ppl don't like. Sadly for Heavenly Light, it's only good for healing Ness and being the ultimate weapon for Trophy Rush.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm trying to experiment with doing Reflect OoS sometimes.
There's nothing to be offended by -_-;;;;
And don't be annoyed and sad about M2K investing in Palutena.

Take a step back and breathe. We are all family here.

but anyways yes Reflect and Warp, those are good and TBH I know not much about Fireworks.

But I put a lot of dedication working with Lightweight, Jump Glide, and Super Speed. And nothing can really stop me from saying the same thing back at ya.

"It takes dedication to respect some things that many ppl don't like."

I am 100% confident these custom moves objectively open more doors, options, and possibilities than Reflect on shield/Warp and it's warp canceling abilities/Fireworks juggling/kill/invincibilities. Like sure I'm sure there are a few more things you could do with them that I may be ignorant of but the ceiling in terms of potential for those moves is visible.

The ceiling for Lightweight, Jump Glide, and Super Speed.. I don't even know when it'll stop.
I love using both Explosive Flame and Auto Reticle.

ANYWAYS in general for everyone:
I make 15 second entertaining clips/plays for Palutena (and pikachu) like these:
https://instagram.com/p/1qgiEiInWa/
https://instagram.com/p/06xsxhonST/
https://instagram.com/p/0QRHfroncx/
https://instagram.com/p/0qgt3bonZZ/
and many many more.

check them out? Have fun just browsing through some! Hope you enjoy them and follow if you want

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
There's nothing to be offended by -_-;;;;
And don't be annoyed and sad about M2K investing in Palutena.

Take a step back and breathe. We are all family here.

but anyways yes Reflect and Warp, those are good and TBH I know not much about Fireworks.

But I put a lot of dedication working with Lightweight, Jump Glide, and Super Speed. And nothing can really stop me from saying the same thing back at ya.

"It takes dedication to respect some things that many ppl don't like."

I am 100% confident these custom moves objectively open more doors, options, and possibilities than Reflect on shield/Warp and it's warp canceling abilities/Fireworks juggling/kill/invincibilities. Like sure I'm sure there are a few more things you could do with them that I may be ignorant of but the ceiling in terms of potential for those moves is visible.

The ceiling for Lightweight, Jump Glide, and Super Speed.. I don't even know when it'll stop.
I love using both Explosive Flame and Auto Reticle.

ANYWAYS in general for everyone:
I make 15 second entertaining clips/plays for Palutena (and pikachu) like these:
https://instagram.com/p/1qgiEiInWa/
https://instagram.com/p/06xsxhonST/
https://instagram.com/p/0QRHfroncx/
https://instagram.com/p/0qgt3bonZZ/
and many many more.

check them out? Have fun just browsing through some! Hope you enjoy them and follow if you want
It's merely mixed feelings. Pally's good with customs, but they're just gonna use the same one and neglect other sets. It'll always be the mainstream one generally, but others don't get attention. Always the LW, no fireworks. Always SS, no Reflect, you get the idea. I prefer something different. In other words, sometimes players should experiment with other sets besides the mainstream one, not only for variety, but for research on improving Pally even further.
Sadly, Heavenly Light is the only one that won't make it competitively, so I understand that one.

Fireworks is helpful for juggling and can get quick kills if you juggle well enough, and even make a read to do a double fireworks thing to make it happen. It can be a potential replacement for counter. Not much to say about this conflict.

HarajukuNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
harajuku_ninja
3DS FC
3523-3461-8281
Even with customs on, Palutena is a relatively underrepresented character. Reason being she is a rather complex and not many people are willing to put in the time and effort to learn her. Even though this is M2K's usually "go for the best" attitude, I see it as an opportunity for people to actually consider picking her up.

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
It's merely mixed feelings. Pally's good with customs, but they're just gonna use the same one and neglect other sets. It'll always be the mainstream one generally, but others don't get attention. Always the LW, no fireworks. Always SS, no Reflect, you get the idea. I prefer something different. In other words, sometimes players should experiment with other sets besides the mainstream one, not only for variety, but for research on improving Pally even further.
Sadly, Heavenly Light is the only one that won't make it competitively, so I understand that one.

Fireworks is helpful for juggling and can get quick kills if you juggle well enough, and even make a read to do a double fireworks thing to make it happen. It can be a potential replacement for counter. Not much to say about this conflict.
I feel like you value exclusivity in an overwhelming fashion. Mainstream isn't always bad. Pop music I hear on the radio 24/7? eh. I don't consider them real music. But sometimes, things are mainstream because they are genuinely good; and different isn't always something good either.

It's too early to say 2312 customs is mainstream especially on a character that is FAR from mainstream. Sure Fireworks hasnt been experimented much but the popular 2312 among Palutena mains really hasnt been experimented/researched enough either. Actually, it seems like people are slowly favoring Jump Glide now. But putting "mainstream" and "different" aside, what is GOOD is GOOD and what is GREAT is BETTER. It is our job as Palutena mains to find that greatness regardless of whatever social pressures.

I definitely will start experimenting with Fireworks against Rosalina. Seems good against Luma and keeps Rosalina from being in the air as freely. I have a hard time abusing Lightweight against Rosalina. I just end up getting more damage and die much faster instead.

Anyways, you keep advocating to experiment with her other customs. I agree, yeah it's great to encourage more variety and experimenting.

So now I encourage YOU yourself to definitely actually start experimenting with 2322 as well.

Let's play some friendlies sometime and get some ideas off each other from our different customs preference and playstyles!

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I actually do find it interesting that Mew2King is using Palutena. I did take note of the way he edge-guarded in Lightweight form vs. SS' Ness. But honestly, I think Palutena is only going to be a pocket character for him.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I feel like you value exclusivity in an overwhelming fashion. Mainstream isn't always bad. Pop music I hear on the radio 24/7? eh. I don't consider them real music. But sometimes, things are mainstream because they are genuinely good; and different isn't always something good either.

It's too early to say 2312 customs is mainstream especially on a character that is FAR from mainstream. Sure Fireworks hasnt been experimented much but the popular 2312 among Palutena mains really hasnt been experimented/researched enough either. Actually, it seems like people are slowly favoring Jump Glide now. But putting "mainstream" and "different" aside, what is GOOD is GOOD and what is GREAT is BETTER. It is our job as Palutena mains to find that greatness regardless of whatever social pressures.

I definitely will start experimenting with Fireworks against Rosalina. Seems good against Luma and keeps Rosalina from being in the air as freely. I have a hard time abusing Lightweight against Rosalina. I just end up getting more damage and die much faster instead.

Anyways, you keep advocating to experiment with her other customs. I agree, yeah it's great to encourage more variety and experimenting.

So now I encourage YOU yourself to definitely actually start experimenting with 2322 as well.

Let's play some friendlies sometime and get some ideas off each other from our different customs preference and playstyles!
I just want to see variety... Same custom sets over and over is almost like seeing the same character over and over to a lesser extent. Of course, I have just a few sets that I at least enjoy using...

Apparently it's the most common Pally custom set as of now. We'll see what happens for months to come, but for now... well...

Whatever 2322 is, it aint using it unless it is EF/Missile/Rocket/Counter, which I already use... though I can always sub Counter for Fireworks. My pride goes to 111 + Fireworks as it is my main set, and the one I mentioned with the Missile being my secondary.

However, I'll decide to fight when I feel like it. I still ain't too happy playing much.

Top Bottom