• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

C3CC

Smash Lord
I've played many matches on For Glory and I've managed to win most of them with Yoshi, Charizard and Rosalina, but I haven't been been able to win a single one with Palutena. This is so frustrating... I don't want to start thinking she sucks like everyone says because I really like her and her playstyle :(

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
I've played many matches on For Glory and I've managed to win most of them with Yoshi, Charizard and Rosalina, but I haven't been been able to win a single one with Palutena. This is so frustrating... I don't want to start thinking she sucks like everyone says because I really like her and her playstyle :(
Palutena has a fairly high learning curve. I guess it's mostly knowing how the hitboxes on her attacks work. I remember using Palutena once in a For Glory match versus someone's Lucina, and I remember almost completely downloading him. It was so satisfying.

Shadow23

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaShadow23
3DS FC
1091-8017-0832
Please, don't let that get into your head. Anyone who says she sucks obviously are too lazy to test her out. Palutena is one of my mains and I have been winning alot of matches lately with her. And I have been able to beat some competent players with her. My advice to you is to train her in training mode to give you an idea of how all of her moves work. Don't let tiers blind you my friend, and good luck and hope you can win some matches with her soon:).

C3CC

Smash Lord
Please, don't let that get into your head. Anyone who says she sucks obviously are too lazy to test her out. Palutena is one of my mains and I have been winning alot of matches lately with her. And I have been able to beat some competent players with her. My advice to you is to train her in training mode to give you an idea of how all of her moves work. Don't let tiers blind you my friend, and good luck and hope you can win some matches with her soon:).
I guess you're right! I don't really pay attention to tier lists; they're more of a popularity contest to me. I main Charizard, who is low tier in this game and I win most of the time when I use him (and match-ups are bull**** too, Captain Falcon is my b*tch when I use Charizard). I main Mewtwo in Melee too and I can say I'm pretty decent as well.

I think the main problem with Palutena is how freaking long her attacks take to finish. The ending lag is just out of this world. She's just so punishable. However, there are little things as satisfying as landing a Meteor Smash with her, or knocking someone out with her Up Smash. I really hope they release a patch where they buff her up a little bit in the near future.

By the way, last night, after I wrote my post, I managed to beat a Kirby and a Luigi with Palutena :D They weren't very good and kind of predictable, though, but at least it helped calm my frustration.

Ice Ninja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceninja77
Despite maining Palutena, I tend to find I like playing other characters in For Glory / Online over using Palutena. I usually find I need more time to react as Palutena (i.e, having no input lag) as opposed to some other characters. If I play Fox or Captain Falcon, I can usually throw out a lot of moves more easily in a laggy environment and be safe usually, whereas Palutena, it's harder to time my aerials and trying to throw out Smashes can get you punished still because of how much cooldown they have versus those characters with quick smashes. It also can make follow up combos hard since you can't react to an opponent's DI and have to solely predict. That can make it even harder to land a KO.

Offline Palutena feels so much better without input lag that comes with online play. It feels almost worlds apart for me at times.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
It's all really just about practicing as much as you can with her. Whether its in laggy environments online or not, I prefer using Palutena now over Pikachu. Sheik, Diddy, Yoshi, Falcon, Fox, no matter who it is, I can give them a good challenge or win against them online. It comes with every fighting game, if you want to use a character you like, over a character that is called "good" you have to work at it. I use Palutena in Smash 4 and Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 and both are at the bottom or close to it in their "tier" lists.

Tier lists are dumb, because that's the "average player" not the best player. I want to be known for my Palutena, not for my Pikachu, because she's my favorite character.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
A question I posed in the skype group:

In all the time we've spent with palutena, has anyone ever tried to find an AT that can cancel her tilts? like we all know they're slow but has anyone ever thought maybe theres a cancel for them and experimented?

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210

In all the time we've spent with palutena, has anyone ever tried to find an AT that can cancel her tilts? like we all know they're slow but has anyone ever thought maybe theres a cancel for them and experimented?
Tbh, I haven't, but if there is a way to do so, than that will be game changing...

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Hey, I've been playing Palutena with customs lately in preparation for the upcoming weekly tournament in my region (they're finally allowing customs!). I'm looking to play with any of you that are familiar with custom Palutena tomorrow if that's cool; I want to learn as much as I can with them before the tournament. So far, I like her setup with Explosive Flame, Super Speed, Warp, and Lightweight.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Hey, I've been playing Palutena with customs lately in preparation for the upcoming weekly tournament in my region (they're finally allowing customs!). I'm looking to play with any of you that are familiar with custom Palutena tomorrow if that's cool; I want to learn as much as I can with them before the tournament. So far, I like her setup with Explosive Flame, Super Speed, Warp, and Lightweight.
I'll consider it if I'm in the mood. but I'm not gonna see Diddy am I? Just Palutena only? (yes, I'm still against tiers)

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Wait there is a Palutena skype group? Can I be added?

In terms of customs, I think I'm going to start using her's. I tried some on 3DS but nothing with the GCN controller.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Have you watched Kinuski's matches? They're a great learning tool I think.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Well Dtilt has somewhat deceptively short endlag that might trick your opponents (frame trap).
Also good at catching rolls if you're positioned well.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I really don't let tier list get me. While they hold some merit, most if it consists of "which character can I play as brain dead, versus which character takes too much time to learn." There's no doubt in my mind Palutena is hard to learn, but that doesn't make her bad.

At the same token, I also think some people who use tier list view it wrong. Thinking number 1 is the best, and number 52 is the worse. When really, all it means is number 1 is easy to use, has brain dead follow ups, and is great under pressure, while number 52 is harder to use, has harder follow ups (or none), and struggles under pressure. Every character has potential to be amazing, it's just all up to the player behind them.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I've been playing Palutena a lot lately, and I do believe she has now become one of my mains. (along with Zelda) I really don't know why she's so low on the tier list, then again, I'm usually better with lower tier characters. :laugh:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I wish I could've had some matches with you, but I was busy. But, I do have a video I made on Super Speed, so hopefully that might help out with the tourney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szyHHuw4Y9I

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Hey @ AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster its been a while since we've played. I've been really getting into some interesting Palutena techs with warp cancels idk if you'd be interested in playing with me sometimes. Palutena's Lightweight>d-throw>u-air is still a thing on Wii U. I believe that you can kill from the stage on levels like T&C with a lower than normal ceiling. I'm good to play whenever typically.

And congrats on top 16 at Apex.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Hi guys long time no see, well I have some doubts if anyone is kind enough to answer me that would be great, I was playing today against a level 9 cpu and I am having a harder time beating them, does the new patch balanced the characters?? I am not so good at actually learning all percentages and stuff, so Palutena got something? lose something? I will appreciate anyone willing to answer me.

On another note, I find hard to believe she is considered bottom tier, I left the boards on the hopes to free my mind of that conception and to polish me game, since then I have improved so why is she still bottom tier?? I find Ganondorf, WiiFit Trainer and some other characters lot worse than her.

Anyway I am glad lots of familiar faces are still around.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Hi guys long time no see, well I have some doubts if anyone is kind enough to answer me that would be great, I was playing today against a level 9 cpu and I am having a harder time beating them, does the new patch balanced the characters?? I am not so good at actually learning all percentages and stuff, so Palutena got something? lose something? I will appreciate anyone willing to answer me.

On another note, I find hard to believe she is considered bottom tier, I left the boards on the hopes to free my mind of that conception and to polish me game, since then I have improved so we is she still bottom tier?? I find Ganondorf, WiiFit Trainer and some other characters lot worse than her.

Anyway I am glad lots of familiar faces are still around.
So far, to my knowledge, Palutena is more or less the same. The only difference that I noticed was that she can't do her Super Speed exploit (where she holds on to the momentum) by jump canceling into up smash anymore. She can still perform the exploit, but now it is only with jump canceling into an item throw. In addition, she can't reuse her up smash in the exploit either, without deactivating the exploit. Everything is still on the Wii U version (for now) so it's not too late to check out what I mean for the time being.

Also, while I'm at it, I made a Super Speed Guide video just recently, which covers all I know about the move, including the tech. Here's a link to it, if your interested.

Burigu

Smash Ace
So far, to my knowledge, Palutena is more or less the same. The only difference that I noticed was that she can't do her Super Speed exploit (where she holds on to the momentum) by jump canceling into up smash anymore. She can still perform the exploit, but now it is only with jump canceling into an item throw. In addition, she can't reuse her up smash in the exploit either, without deactivating the exploit. Everything is still on the Wii U version (for now) so it's not too late to check out what I mean for the time being.

Also, while I'm at it, I made a Super Speed Guide video just recently, which covers all I know about the move, including the tech. Here's a link to it, if your interested.

Thanks I already saw your video really cool! I saw it early today I favorited it. So the AI is the same and I was just being paranoic or something??

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Thanks I already saw your video really cool! I saw it early today I favorited it. So the AI is the same and I was just being paranoic or something??
Oh ok thanks. Actually, I think the AI are smarter...........but don't hold me to it though. I'm not too sure on that. I know what you mean though, cause it felt like something changed.........still need more testing :/

Burigu

Smash Ace
Oh ok thanks. Actually, I think the AI are smarter...........but don't hold me to it though. I'm not too sure on that. I know what you mean though, cause it felt like something changed.........still need more testing :/
Well thanks, I will continue playing and see if I am under a post patch placebo, don't hold on my getting realistic results, but if I know the people here, we are going to find the answer if something really is different, if nothing happened then well sorry to point it out, but I find odd that this patch render the videos unwatchable again like with 1.0.4 so something must have changed

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Well thanks, I will continue playing and see if I am under a post patch placebo, don't hold on my getting realistic results, but if I know the people here, we are going to find the answer if something really is different, if nothing happened then well sorry to point it out, but I find odd that this patch render the videos unwatchable again like with 1.0.4 so something must have changed
Maybe it might just be me than. I haven't really touched Smash 3DS until after getting the New 3DS. Maybe it's just me going back from the Wii U to 3DS that threw me off at first. But I will still keep fooling around with it. I still have an un-updated copy of the game, so I will compare the two to see if there is any other differences.

Top Bottom