• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mini-creation thread: SSBU with 100 Fighters (Job 15: Indie character)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Character3 votes x # of times2 votes x # of times1 vote x # of timesTotal
Cash Banooca​
3 x3 (9)​
2 x 1 (2)​
1 x 1 (1)​
Scorpion​
N/A​
N/A​
1 x 2 (2)​
2​
Rayman​
3 x 1 (3)​
2 x 3 (6)​
NA​
9​
Steve​
3 x 1 (3)​
N/A​
N/A​
3​
Master Chief​
3 x 1 (3)​
N/A​
N/A​
3​
Rash​
N/A​
N/A​
1 x 1​
1​

! CHALLENGER APPROACHING !

Cash Banooca.png
Crash Bandicoot
Gives It a Spin!

Job 9: Submit a criteria for Challenger Pack 4

My criteria is 3 characters from SNK in one challenger pack

Keep in mind that, assuming this goes through, we're bumping down from 15 Challenger Packs to 13 Challenger Packs.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
  1. Important franchise lost to obscurity. I love it when the Smash series gets to stretch its legs a little and act as a neat history lesson on the gaming industry or even just some obscure tidbits and trivia, so this would be really right up my alley!
  2. Indie franchise. I think there's a ton of potential here, though the difficulty would be with trying to really nail down a character who represents "indie games" but isn't Shovel Knight. Reimu could work, I guess!
  3. Fighting game franchise. I think this has a ton of potential and there's a lot of pretty neat characters you could include from the genre.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Prompt3 votes x # of times2 votes x # of times1 votes x # of timesTotal
SNK​
3 x 1 (3)​
N/A​
1 x 1 (1)​
4​
New 3rd party company​
3 x 1 (3)​
N/A​
1 x 1 (1)​
4​
Lost to obscurity​
3 x 1 (3)​
2 x 1 (2)​
1 x 1 (1)​
6​
Indie​
N/A​
2 x 4 (8)​
1 x 1 (1)​
9​
Non-VG company​
N/A​
N/A​
1 x 1 (1)​
1​
Fighting game​
3 x 4 (12)​
2 x 1 (2)​
1 x 1 (1)​
Soundtracks​
N/A​
2 x 1 (2)​
1 x 1 (1)​
3​

Job 10: Submit someone from a fighting game

My submission bends the rules a little bit, but hear me out.
Terry A.png Iori Yagami.png Nakoruru.png
Terry Bogard, Iori Yagami and Nakoruru
(SNK fighting games; Fatal Fury, King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown, respectively)​

I picked these three for the sake of representing SNK's fighting games in general (Fatal Fury, the one that started it all; King of Fighters, the culmination of Fatal Fury's groundwork--even named after the in-universe tournament; and Samurai Shodown, the 2D weapon-based fighting game that preceded even Soul Edge). SNK's fighting games are what served as the inspiration for Smash Bros. as a whole, so I wanted to include these three for the sake of paying extra love to SNK for allowing Smash to exist. Please note, however, that:
  • I am not encouraging everyone else to submit three characters; my submission is an exception (it's my thread after all) meant to be a homage to KOF's 3-man-team setup
  • Assuming this submission wins the vote, the DLC will be brought down from 15 Challenger Packs to 13 Challenger Packs, as these are three separate characters with unique movesets

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Yoshimitsu

Why not represent 2 major fighting series with Tekken & Soul Calibur. Popular character with good moveset potential.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #10
Character Name: Pai-Chan
Character Origin: Virtua Fighter
(1993)

Whilst a polygonal Akira already exists as an Assist Trophy, taking away arguably the face of the series as a logical DLC pick, I think that the Virtua Fighter series is fundamentally both iconic enough and important enough to the history of both the fighting game genre and the greater history of video games in general to represent in this game's playable roster. But then, if not Akira... who?

I opted for Pai-Chan for a few reasons. Firstly, she's been around since the very first game, and has continually maintained a generally similar concept and design overall - taking inspiration from various Chinese martial arts films as well as fighting with the unique Chinese martial art of Mízōngyì. (For the record, despite their conceptually similar designs, Pai-Chan is very different to Chun-Li!) Plus, whilst the Virtua Fighter series is typically a little less flashy than other fighting games, Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax's interpretation of Akira suggests that we could always tone things up for the Smash series - whilst keeping the same sense of "flow" present throughout the VF series that really differentiates it from other fighting games, 3D or otherwise.

On top of this - Pai-Chan's role as a central icon of the series has resulted in her having a lot of crossover appearances already, such as appearing alongside Akira as a pair unit in Project X Zone 2, appearing as Akira's assist in the aforementioned Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax, and even being playable in Dead or Alive 5 alongside Akira and Sarah Bryant! This means she's got some pedigree with crossover appearances already, so she's more prominent in the public consciousness compared to, say, Jeffrey McWild.

I feel like a Virtua Fighter representative is a natural choice for Smash representation for a wide variety of reasons, and Pai-Chan - given Akira is probably off-limits - feels like a solid, logical, but fun choice.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
  1. Yoshimitsu (A pretty cool pick, and scratches my itch for "side" characters to get into Smash more often. Bonus points if his Tekken 3 appearance is an alt!)
  2. SNK Trio (Team SNK? I think this is a clever and unique take on the concepts present in the original game, even if it is a cheeky bending of the rules. Plus, Terry, Iori and Nakoruru are an unusual teamup that I think would have a ton of fun interactions.)
  3. Scorpion (A decently obvious pick given the history and longetivity of the Mortal Kombat franchise.)

Top Bottom