• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mindgames.

kown

Smash Lord
I use the word mindgames with caution!!

okay so the pit community should come up with ideas on how to get free hits...or psych are opponent out.

For Example.

wingdash to grab works because when someone sees a wingdashing coming at them, they immediately shield.

glide to uptilt works because it appears like u missed your glide attack.

a common mindgame is when your opponent is on the ground and you run at them...for some reason ppl tend to roll away giving you a free grab. (try to keep these to pit only mindgames) but any thing is helpful.

WoI to fair works because your opponent feels like you messed up....so they get out of shield.

any aerial to AAA works with good spacing because your opponent feels as if its his trn to attack. but jab comes out too fast.

now share your ideas.

ghostgore

Smash Rookie
If someone's above me, I'll use arrows. Jump, shoot an arrow at them, they'll dodge (most the time..sometimes they just take it...), and when the dodge animation is finished I'll U-air or use whatever attack I'm in range for.

Not a mind game really and it might be something obvious, but it helps me.

kown

Smash Lord
If someone's above me, I'll use arrows. Jump, shoot an arrow at them, they'll dodge (most the time..sometimes they just take it...), and when the dodge animation is finished I'll U-air or use whatever attack I'm in range for.

Not a mind game really and it might be something obvious, but it helps me.
anythign that helps..

heres another one. a missed fair that kinda appears to be laggy to a fsmash is a good killing strat.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Putting Winglunging, Wingdashing, and Winglanding together can be mindgames.
A Wingdash is a faked Winglunge, a Wingland/divebomb can be a fake winglunge or wingdash, and Winglunge can be an offensive.

So mixing Wingdashing, winglunging and Winglanding/divebombing together can keep the opponent guessing. Holding an Up-B in the air could trick the opponent too. Adding that with SH D-airs and N-airs can pressure opponents without much arrow use.
This happens to be my Wing Surge Strategy.

Wait, WingDash>Grab? Doesn't it push back? So wouldn't you have to dash grab? *I'm not sure*

Free hits...uh...Predict the opponent?

Since people spot dodge too much in this game, I was thinking that jabing at the opponent and wating for a dodge would be the best option. Some of pit's moves have lingering hit boxes so you can attack early and punish a spot dodge.

Or you can think about edge based tactics. If you jabbed an opponents shield near the edge, more than likely they are going to roll away and spot dodge if they have the chance, so it gives you a free jab or grab, and if they spot dodge after the roll, use an attack with a lingering hitbox (such as the Nair).

If you knock the opponent diagonally/off the edge, they are going to try airdodge and fast fall back to safety, so what I would do is bluff a jump and punish the airdodge lag. Or if you're fast enough, punish the landing with a F-smash or D-smash. Landing lag for an Airdodge is 2 frames, and 4 frames if fast fall. You can even Nair since it has a lingering hit box.

even knowing an opponents recovery is important towards landing free hits. Like with space Animals, you can simply Nair them if the miss the spot dodge. If they land it and try to Nair again you can easily space yourself away from the edge. Or with Meta Knight when players ledge drop shuttle loop. Stand near the edge and shield the shuttle loop (Or you can stay away from the edge enough for the attack to miss), while MK is in the gliding state you can jump forward and Nair them unexpectedly (This works very well) since the opponent wouldn't be near the ground at the moment. the most that would happen if you messed up would be a clank of the Glide A.

SH Dair also has a lingering hitbox too. Basically, to get free hits, apply anything that works based on the opponents actions. Most Pit players (And players in general) should always have Mid stage/Edge/Above/Below stage tactics. These are essential to landing free hits.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
As I've said before, there are two sides to Smash. Technical Game and the Mental Game.

I believe I said this to the Pit forums more then once. If the Technical Game is to control your character, then the Meta Game is to control your opponent's character.

Mindgames can't be explained as I've tried to explain to many, MANY of my undrlings. It's all situational. Reading your opponents moves and feeling them out. Using their patterns against them. Creating artificial weaknesses in your game and turning them into your strength. That is what mindgames are. You can't discuss them in a forum such as this unless you're gloating about how you mind-smacked your most recent victim or vice-versa.

What you are discussing here are tactics. And said tactics, if used frequently, become a great weakness. Meaning most high caliber opponents will start reading these tactics and subtly making them into their artificial weaknesses without you ever really knowing.

The mind of a true elite Smasher is a scary thing.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Wait, WingDash>Grab? Doesn't it push back? So wouldn't you have to dash grab? *I'm not sure*

Free hits...uh...Predict the opponent?

Since people spot dodge too much in this game, I was thinking that jabing at the opponent and wating for a dodge would be the best option. Some of pit's moves have lingering hit boxes so you can attack early and punish a spot dodge.

Or you can think about edge based tactics. If you jabbed an opponents shield near the edge, more than likely they are going to roll away and spot dodge if they have the chance, so it gives you a free jab or grab, and if they spot dodge after the roll, use an attack with a lingering hitbox (such as the Nair).

If you knock the opponent diagonally/off the edge, they are going to try airdodge and fast fall back to safety, so what I would do is bluff a jump and punish the airdodge lag. Or if you're fast enough, punish the landing with a F-smash or D-smash. Landing lag for an Airdodge is 2 frames, and 4 frames if fast fall. You can even Nair since it has a lingering hit box.

even knowing an opponents recovery is important towards landing free hits. Like with space Animals, you can simply Nair them if the miss the spot dodge. If they land it and try to Nair again you can easily space yourself away from the edge. Or with Meta Knight when players ledge drop shuttle loop. Stand near the edge and shield the shuttle loop (Or you can stay away from the edge enough for the attack to miss), while MK is in the gliding state you can jump forward and Nair them unexpectedly (This works very well) since the opponent wouldn't be near the ground at the moment. the most that would happen if you messed up would be a clank of the Glide A.

SH Dair also has a lingering hitbox too. Basically, to get free hits, apply anything that works based on the opponents actions. Most Pit players (And players in general) should always have Mid stage/Edge/Above/Below stage tactics. These are essential to landing free hits.
1st paragraph
Wingdashing can also go forward if you input a forward command with the control stick instead of backward.

Own topic for the thread
You could also use WoI to skim the ground and get to the edge to grab it. Since people tend to think that you are vunerable while WoI, they would chase you. You can then do ledge techs from here to get some free damage.

Top Bottom