• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mimikyu Just Wants Some Friends! Mimikyu for Smash 5!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I worded it wrong. I thought the move could have looked more badass. It definitely doesn't need to do more.
i never thought it did, i just find the increased size of mimikyu's costume a little creepy and "let's snuggle forever" is a very peculiar name

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm really hoping Mimikyu beats Decidueye as far as Smash. I just can't come to like this starter. Many people state its the ideal gen 7 rep because it completes the water, fire and grass starter trio, but that's already been a thing with Pokémon Trainer/Brawl. Also, Mimikyu is just as edgy and actually has a reason for it.

I'm team Mimikyu until the end so I'm holding on to hope.

I want a full ghost newcomer.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I would really prefer Mimikyu over any other gen 7 rep. There os one problem: If gen 8 gets revealed first this would hurt every gen 7 pokémon. The curse of the odd number pokegen with the exception of the first one

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would really prefer Mimikyu over any other gen 7 rep. There os one problem: If gen 8 gets revealed first this would hurt every gen 7 pokémon. The curse of the odd number pokegen with the exception of the first one
Lets hope this time Gamefreak takes it slow with introducing generations. It could really work in Mimikyu's favor with already being the poster of gen 7. I get this feeling even Gamefreak is anticipating Mimikyu as far as Smash.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm still hopeful for 2 Pokemon newcomers in that situation. Gen 3 didn't get anything thanks to Pokemon Trainer taking up development time (though it did focus on the Gen 3 Red/Blue remakes) and Gen 5 didn't get anything thanks to the most pushed Gen 5 Pokemon being Zoroark which fell pretty hard and with Greninja simply being a better choice. With Gen 7 though there are so many popular choices that far outreach any Gen 3 or 5 Pokes. That brings us to Mimikyu that was not only popular enough to gain a unique Z move, but has been pushed heavily with merch and anime spotlights and being in the unique position of having a connection with the Pokemon mascot himself, Pikachu, so yeah, I'm hopeful.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But this is the fun part of speculation :secretkpop:
But, yes, I think Mimmikyu still have a Very good chance
what is that picture? actually i dont want to know

i get speculation but you know i think all us smash fans over think the reasons for a character to be in smash when lets face face most times its a lot simpler than we make out

Luminario

Smash Lord

i get speculation but you know i think all us smash fans over think the reasons for a character to be in smash when lets face face most times its a lot simpler than we make out
Cmon, what's the point of coming on this site if we can't make crackpot conspiracy theories about our wanted characters? If you want just the basics, Mimikyu's a popular and heavily pushed viable Gen 7 Pokemon who has unique potential and a body type that works for Smash. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Also the pic is an emoji in the Other tab:secretkpop:

UserKev

Smash Champion

Not.. really. If a gen 8 of Pokémon is introduced a head of time, that could really screw over Mimikyu's chances.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
alright be we've all got to remember sakurai doesnt seem to think in terms of represeting each gen or completing the starter trio

i think mimikyus popularity is enough to get it in smash and we dont really need to come up with any more reasons than that

lets face it could just come down to who sakurai thinks works in smash or perhaps game freak's input

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Cmon, what's the point of coming on this site if we can't make crackpot conspiracy theories about our wanted characters? If you want just the basics, Mimikyu's a popular and heavily pushed viable Gen 7 Pokemon who has unique potential and a body type that works for Smash. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Also the pic is an emoji in the Other tab:secretkpop:
You know, I've also been wondering where this emoji came from. Specifically, what picture was cropped to make this?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Went out of my way to get Mimikyu for my Ultra Sun play through.

I'm open to the idea of it, but we'll see how Kenny affects my opinion on it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Went out of my way to get Mimikyu for my Ultra Sun play through.

I'm open to the idea of it, but we'll see how Kenny affects my opinion on it.
Mimikyu is the real reason if I get back into playing Pokémon.

D

Deleted member

I’d be all for Mimikyu. Always liked the Pokémon in Final Smash Comics and that comic strip was one of my favorite.

But I want to ask, is there any reason to believe that Mimikyu is actually more likely than Decidueye or is that just wishful thinking? Because I can’t see a reason why they wouldn’t go with it instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luminario

Smash Lord
But I want to ask, is there any reason to believe that Mimikyu is actually more likely than Decidueye or is that just wishful thinking? Because I can’t see a reason why they wouldn’t go with it instead.
Well, Mimikyu's been much more prominent in merchandise than Decidueye, shows up in the anime much more (with Rowlet likely being the starter that doesn't evolve if Incineroar's concept art is anything to go by), arguably just as popular as Decidueye, and has a bigger chance at long-lived popularity thanks to being somewhat of an antithesis of Pikachu. It's also got great moveset potential and can make a bigger impact to the roster with it's creepy ghostly personality.
It's an endearing yet unnerving underdog; people love it.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Well, Mimikyu's been much more prominent in merchandise than Decidueye, shows up in the anime much more (with Rowlet likely being the starter that doesn't evolve if Incineroar's concept art is anything to go by), arguably just as popular as Decidueye, and has a bigger chance at long-lived popularity thanks to being somewhat of an antithesis of Pikachu. It's also got great moveset potential and can make a bigger impact to the roster with it's creepy ghostly personality.
It also has its own official them rap and, easily the next icon of Pokémon.

Luminario

Smash Lord
what rule says that only one starter gets to evolve? may i refer you to gen 4
Nah that's not what I meant. In Incineroar's concept art Rowlet and Popplio are both shown to not have evolved. I suppose you're right though, whether or not this has any actual meaning to the anime storyline is something we'll have to wait and see for.

D

Deleted member

I'm not familiar with recent Pokémon games so forgive me for being uninformed.

- What do you mean by more prominent in merchandise? Does Mimikyu show up more often, does it overshadow Decidueye when they appear in merchandise, or do you mean something else entirely?

- How important is the anime when it comes to considering new Pokémon nowadays? It's not the phenomenon it was back in Gen 1 and last time I checked, no one since Jigglypuff had been added in part of the anime.

- What measures are you using when it comes to gauging popularity and how does "arguably just as popular" give Mimikyu the favor?

- Why would Decidueye not have a better chance at long-lived popularity? Even if Mimikyu does, it's not going to matter in future Smash games if he misses out on his only chance to be playable because Nintendo never adds characters outside Gen 1 and the latest generation by the time Smash comes out.

- Saying it has great move set potentials and can make a "bigger impact" on the roster is subjective, especially for Pokémon. This is a franchise where almost any monster can be playable, even Legendaries like Mewtwo. Nothing implies that Decidueye has issues with move set potentials and can't make a big impact on the roster. Unless we have a situation where the Pokémon Company gets Sakurai to look at pictures of their latest Pokémon for the next gen like with Greninja, this has no relevance to anyone's chances. We're already far past that point for Mimikyu.

Also consider this, Gen 8 is likely going to be out by 2019 and I expect Smash either that year or closer to the end of the Switch's life. By that point, Gen 7 will be over and knowing the Pokémon Company, recency is a huge factor in deciding character additions. If Gen 7 doesn't last longer than we expect, there's no way Gen 8 Pokémon doesn't become priority. This means unless Mimikyu becomes insanely popular like Mewtwo, he's not getting in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm not familiar with recent Pokémon games so forgive me for being uninformed.

- What do you mean by more prominent in merchandise? Does Mimikyu show up more often, does it overshadow Decidueye when they appear in merchandise, or do you mean something else entirely?
Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. Usually its Rowlet who appears instead of Decidueye anyway.
- How important is the anime when it comes to considering new Pokémon nowadays? It's not the phenomenon it was back in Gen 1 and last time I checked, no one since Jigglypuff had been added in part of the anime.
Not that important but it's still a factor. I'm pretty sure they look towards the anime for personality and moveset potential. It also tells us who TPC feels is currently popular (like how Braixen never evolved because Delphox wasn't liked)
- What measures are you using when it comes to gauging popularity and how does "arguably just as popular" give Mimikyu the favor?
A mix of merchandise/ how TPC is currently treating Mimikyu, which is pretty good. I mean, this is a forum for Smash Bros so I'm not about to do an entire survey to find out but people seem to like Mimikyu. Gen 7 has been out for a while now, so unlike Lucario or Greninja popularity would factor into the choices.
- Why would Decidueye not have a better chance at long-lived popularity? Even if Mimikyu does, it's not going to matter in future Smash games if he misses out on his only chance to be playable because Nintendo never adds characters outside Gen 1 and the latest generation by the time Smash comes out.
Decidueye is the grass starter of Gen 7, but there's gonna be a grass starter of Gen 8, 9, 10 and so forth, potentially dulling its popularity over time. If it's not Gen 1, it's popularity isn't set in stone. Lucario is a good example for long-lived popularity, as it's still going strong as the only Aura Pokemon. Mimikyu could also enjoy this long-lived popularity thanks to being the antithesis of Pokemon's mascot Pikachu. It's essentially the Wario to Pokemon's Mario.
- Saying it has great move set potentials and can make a "bigger impact" on the roster is subjective, especially for Pokémon. This is a franchise where almost any monster can be playable, even Legendaries like Mewtwo. Nothing implies that Decidueye has issues with move set potentials and can't make a big impact on the roster. Unless we have a situation where the Pokémon Company gets Sakurai to look at pictures of their latest Pokémon for the next gen like with Greninja, this has no relevance to anyone's chances. We're already far past that point for Mimikyu.
Oh no, Decidueye has equally good moveset potential, I just threw that in there to make it known Mimikyu also has good potential. When I said "bigger impact" I meant Mimikyu stands out more because it's a creepy ghost in a sheet and no one on the roster comes close to it's unnerving yet lovable nature. It could definitely be too far gone for any Gen 7 Pokemon at this point, but now that they've explored DLC we might not have a Greninja situation this time around.
Also consider this, Gen 8 is likely going to be out by 2019 and I expect Smash either that year or closer to the end of the Switch's life. By that point, Gen 7 will be over and knowing the Pokémon Company, recency is a huge factor in deciding character additions. If Gen 7 doesn't last longer than we expect, there's no way Gen 8 Pokémon doesn't become priority. This means unless Mimikyu becomes insanely popular like Mewtwo, he's not getting in.
Well then Gen 8 becomes priority at that time. I can't predict the future, so I have no idea when Smash will be out and with which characters, but I believe that Mimikyu has the best shot right now at this time so here I am~

Tintenpilz

Smash Rookie
I like the idea. Mimikyu is one of my favorite Pokemon, and as we don't have a ghost type in-game I would love for Mimikyu to be the first. Mimikyu has a dark but interesting backstory, interesting typing, and an original gimmick (A ghost that dresses as a Pikachu to be loved? Yes, please.) I support this.
Also, wouldn't it's final smash be its exclusive Z-Move, Lets Snuggle Forever?

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. Usually its Rowlet who appears instead of Decidueye anyway.

Not that important but it's still a factor. I'm pretty sure they look towards the anime for personality and moveset potential. It also tells us who TPC feels is currently popular (like how Braixen never evolved because Delphox wasn't liked)

A mix of merchandise/ how TPC is currently treating Mimikyu, which is pretty good. I mean, this is a forum for Smash Bros so I'm not about to do an entire survey to find out but people seem to like Mimikyu. Gen 7 has been out for a while now, so unlike Lucario or Greninja popularity would factor into the choices.

Decidueye is the grass starter of Gen 7, but there's gonna be a grass starter of Gen 8, 9, 10 and so forth, potentially dulling its popularity over time. If it's not Gen 1, it's popularity isn't set in stone. Lucario is a good example for long-lived popularity, as it's still going strong as the only Aura Pokemon. Mimikyu could also enjoy this long-lived popularity thanks to being the antithesis of Pokemon's mascot Pikachu. It's essentially the Wario to Pokemon's Mario.

Oh no, Decidueye has equally good moveset potential, I just threw that in there to make it known Mimikyu also has good potential. When I said "bigger impact" I meant Mimikyu stands out more because it's a creepy ghost in a sheet and no one on the roster comes close to it's unnerving yet lovable nature. It could definitely be too far gone for any Gen 7 Pokemon at this point, but now that they've explored DLC we might not have a Greninja situation this time around.

Well then Gen 8 becomes priority at that time. I can't predict the future, so I have no idea when Smash will be out and with which characters, but I believe that Mimikyu has the best shot right now at this time so here I am~
Wouldn't you say its sketchy how Mimikyu isn't in Pokken Tournament? Aside from Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo and Lucario, if your selected for Pokken Tournament, its an apology for you.

Jigglypuff and Greninja are also absent. I know it may not say much, but, there's still something else to it.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Wouldn't you say its sketchy how Mimikyu isn't in Pokken Tournament? Aside from Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo and Lucario, if your selected for Pokken Tournament, its an apology for you.

Jigglypuff and Greninja are also absent. I know it may not say much, but, there's still something else to it.
We can actually look at Decidueye in Pokken multiple ways.
In one way, it could raise it's chances for Smash by showing it can work in a fighting game, but in another way it could hinder it because TPC chose it to be THE Gen 7 Poke in Pokken, freeing up Smash for a different Pokemon, as the developers did say they wanted to separate Pokken from Smash.
I don't want to read too much into the Pokken situation, as they're 2 very different games and I don't want to end up being disappointed they went with Decidueye twice.

UserKev

Smash Champion
We can actually look at Decidueye in Pokken multiple ways.
In one way, it could raise it's chances for Smash by showing it can work in a fighting game, but in another way it could hinder it because TPC chose it to be THE Gen 7 Poke in Pokken, freeing up Smash for a different Pokemon, as the developers did say they wanted to separate Pokken from Smash.
I don't want to read too much into the Pokken situation, as they're 2 very different games and I don't want to end up being disappointed they went with Decidueye twice.
I guess I'll leave it alone then.

When I think of Mimikyu, I think of Smash anyway. Mimikyu IS Smash now.

Podglu

Smash Rookie
I made a moveset for Mimikyu too and mine is a little special.

You need to know 3 things before checking it out :

1) English isn't my native language, so you may expect errors.

2) I know Mimikyu doesn't learn every moves I put in his moveset, but Pikachu Neutral Special, Thunderjolt is from the Card Game, and Zelda, Ness, Lucas and Robin all have moves that normally belong to another character form their respective games.

3) Almost every moves he have do below average damage and knockback but have a secondary or conditionnal effect, I decided to put the emphasis on the tricky gameplay Mimikyu use in the game due to his unique Ability.

Mimikyu's Ability Disguise prevent him to receive any knockback if he had below 30% damage when he took the hit.

Speed :
Ground 3/10
Air 4/10

Weight 1/10

Jump :
Number : 2
Height : 5/10
Length : 6/10

Moves :

Jab : Shadow Claw : He scratch the enemy from a quite good distance for a jab.
S-Tilt : Thunder Wave : Create a electric cage in front of Mimikyu(like Lucas D-Special) and deal 1% damage and paralyze(like Zero Suit Samus N-Special)
S-Tilt(2) : Smelling Salts : If the target is already paralyzed Mimikyu will smack it between his claw dealing average damage but with a high knockback.
U-Tilt : Rapid Spin : Mimikyu jump and spin(like Mario in Super Mario World), it have 2 hitboxes, his head deal below average damage and knockback while his tail deal 1% damage but can reflect projectils and enemies(like Mario's S-Special). Remove flowers, pikmin and any hover item fixed to Mimikyu.
D-Tilt : Hypnosis : Deal 1% and put the target to sleep, very small hitbox, making it harder to use than Thunder Wave.
D-Tilt(2) : Dream Eater : If the target is already asleep, deal 10% damage and restore 5% of Mimikyu's however the attack is quite long.
Dash : Shadow Sneak : Mimikyu dive into his shadow and dash, deal damage only to grounded enemies but Mimikyu is invincible during the attack.

Smash :
S-Smash : Payback : When he charge this smash, Mimikyu can't receive knockback, he only receive the damages of the suffered hits, the damage and knockback of these attacks are added to his Smash(Simply put, the more hit and damage he take during the smash charging, the more powerful the smash is.)
U-Smash : Facade : Mimikyu let his head fall while charging like he is exhausted then put he put violently put his head up the higher Mimikyu's damage% is the stronger it hit.
D-Smash : Nightmare : Mimikyu summon dark ghosts from below his disguide hitting around him upward, asleep enemies suffer higher damage and knockback.

Aerials :
N-Air : Astonish : Deal 1% damage only, but is really quick and break shield instantly.
F-Air : Shadow Ball : Shoot a shadow ball in front of him, average damage and knockback but great range, Mimikyu is slightly pushed backward.
B-Air : Wood Hammer : A powerful tail hit with high damage and knockback, but if the hit land Mimikyu receive recoil damage.
U-Air : Moonblast : Summon a Moon above Mimikyu's head, if an enemy touch the Moon, it disappear with a light blast, the closer to the center of the Moon he his, the stronger it is.
U-Air(2) : Moonlight : If no enemy touch the Moon during 2s, the Moon generate a ray of moonlight below it and heal 3% damage to Mimikyu and his allies who are touched by the ray before the Moon disappear.
D-Air : Thunderbolt : Generate a thunderbolt from below Mimikyu to a solid platform or the end of the stage, the attack sweetspots at the base of the thunder and become a meteor smash, if the enemy is hit by the thunder only, it isn't a meteor smash.

Specials :
N-Special : Pickup : If Mimikyu doesn't hold an item, summon in random item in his hand, the higher his damage% is, the rarer the item he get are, if he use it again in less than 10 seconds, it will be longer to summon the item.
N-Special(2) : Natural Gift : If he hold an item he will cast a spell(similar to Ness' N-Special), the effects depend of the held item(the list is below). Consume the item if used 3 times.
Custom 1 : Recycle : Replace Pickup, the summoned item is always the last held item, fail if Mimikyu didn't hold any item since his last death.
Custom 2 : Metronome : Use Natural Gift with random effect instead of item-related one. This move is used even if Mimikyu doesn't hold any item.
S-Special : Thief : If Mimikyu doesn't hold an item, hit far in front of him and deal low damage, steal the item held by the target(can't steal the items in the Villager's Pocket)
S-Special(2) : Fling : If he hold an item, he will throw it with higher damage, knockback and range, and can even throw diagonally.
Custom 1 : Knock-Off : Like Thief but the held item is destroyed instead of stolen, moreover if the target held an item, the damage and knockback will be higher.
Custom 2 : Embargo : Like Thief but the held item fall instead of being stolen, moreover the target can't hold or use any item during 3 secondes(including food, mushroom etc)
U-Special : Fairy Wind : Mimikyu summon a wide wind which will carry Mimikyu, his allies and his enemies(the enemies will be slightly damaged.)
Custom 1 : Ominous Wind : Like Fairy Wind, deals more damage to enemies but don't carry allies.
Custom 2 : Tail Wind : Like Fairy Wind, carry Mimikyu and his allies farver but don't affect enemies.
D-Special : Destiny Bond : Create a purple area around Mimikyu which last 3 seconds, every enemies who are in this area when Mimikyu die, will die as well(points go to Mimikyu). Can be used even if Mimikyu suffer knockback, but can't be used again before 10 seconds.
Custom 1 : Agility : Increase Mimikyu speed during 1.5 seconds. Can be used even if Mimikyu suffer knockback, but can't be used again before 10 seconds.
Custom 2 : Trick Room : Slow down everyone(allies included) around Mimikyu during 3 seconds, Mimikyu can't deal damage during those 3 seconds. Can be used even if Mimikyu suffer knockback, but can't be used again before 10 seconds.

Grab : Bind : Grab the enemy with his claw, good range.
Pummel : Leech Life : Deals 2% and restore 1% to Mimikyu.
F-Throw : Drain Kiss : Deals average and restore some damages.
B-Throw : Psychic : Same as Ness B-Throw.
U-Throw : Play Rough : Smack down the enemy and eject him upward, deal the more damage out of all the throws.
D-Throw : Pain Split : Deals damages to the enemy and heal Mimikyu by the same amount depending of the % differences between the two, if the target has more damage than Mimikyu, it deal and restore 1%.

Others :
Floor Attack(Front) : Feint Attack : Mimikyu stand up suddenly, deals low damage but has a good knockback.
Floor Attack(Back) : Substitute : Leave a fake Mimikyu and escape through his shadow. If hit before diappearing the fake Mimikyu explode and deals significant damage and knockback.
Floor Attack(Trip) : Fake Out : A weak attack who stun the enemy.
Edge Attack: Baby-Doll Eyes : Mimikyu climb with difficulty the edge before staring cutely at the enemy who is stunned.
Asleep : Sleep Talk : While asleep, Mimikyu can emit a shockwave. It doesn't deal damage but push the enemy. Usable only 3 times per sleep and can be dodge.
Ground Dodge : Double Team : Mimikyu separates in 3, one of them does the down-dodge, the second does a a forward-dodge and the last one a backward-dordge. Two of the Mimikyus are illusions and will disappear once the dodge in finished, thanks to this, Mimikyu's enemies won't know which dodge he did until it is finished.

Mimikyu can grab edge from afar thanks to its grab.

Natural Gift :

Heal Pulse :
Effect : Heal damage in a large area.
Charge : Increase healing.
Color : Dark Pink
Items : Special Flag, Fairy Bottle, Team Healer

Pollen Puff :
Effect : Heal a few damage to allies and deals a few damage to enemies in a large zone.
Charge : Increase power and healing.
Color : Light Green
Items : Beetle, Beehive

Hone Claws :
Effect : Increase Mimikyu's and allies' damage and knockback inflected.
Charge : Increase duration.
Color : Orange
Items : Beam Sword, Home-Run Bat, Levin Sword(Robin), Gear(Mega-Man)

Reflect :
Effect : Decrease Mimikyu's and allies' damage and knockback suffered.
Chare : Increase duration.
Color : Blue
Items : Green Shell, Spiny Shell

Poison Powder :
Effect : Put a flower on the enemies head in a large zone.
Charge : Increase Flower's size.
Color : Purple
Items : Lip's Stick, Deku Nut

Dazzling Gleam :
Effect : Deal damage without secondary effect.
Charge : Increase power.
Color : Light Pink
Items : Star Rod, Mr Saturn, Boomerang, ThunderTome(Robin)

Fire Blast :
Effect : Deals high damage with low knockback.
Color : Red
Items : Fire Bar, Fire Flower, X Bomb, Hothead, FireTome(Robin)

Hurricane :
Effect : Deals low damage with high knockback.
Color : Pale Blue
Items : Ore Club, Bumper, Spring, Cucco, WindTome(Robin)

Flash :
Effect : Stun enemies.
Charge : Increase duration.
Color : White
Items : Ray Gun, Super Scope, Smoke Ball, Killer Eye,

Gravity :
Effect : Deals low damage and meteor smash.
Color : Dark Purple
Items : Screw Attack, Drill Arm, Pitfall, POW Block

Explosion :
Effect : Deal heavy damage to enemies and allies alike.
Color : Dark Red
Items : Bob-omb, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Gooey Bomb, Smart Bomb, Bombchu, Hocotate Bomb, Mecha-Koopa(BowserJr), Bomb(Link), Bomb(LinkCartoon)

Sheer Cold :
Effect : Deals damage and freeze enemies.
Color : Light Blue
Items : Freezie, Steel Diver, Unira

Giga-Drain :
Effect : Drain enemies life.
Color : Green
Items : Banana Peel, Vegetable(Peach), Peanut(DiddyKong), NosferatuTome(Robin), Woodchip(Villager)

Teleport :
Effect : Warp Mimikyu to targetted place.
Charge : No effect.
Color : Black
Items : Capsule, Poke Ball, Master Ball, Bullet Bill, Gyro(ROB), Bonus(Pac-Man)

Final Smash : Let's Snuggle Forever
Mimikyu catch enemies around him under his disguise, smack them down then throw them. Deals more damage if several enemies are caught at the same time.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Guess who's an assist in Pokken~

It look gorgeous in HD. Being relegated to assist is a crime though, but with these questionable character choices still ongoing I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, at least Mimikyu is in the game. Poor Meowth. :052:

Aegislash looks amazing though.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I'll throw in my support for this character. I have really not been a fan of the new generation reps we've got (I forgot Greninja was even in the game honestly), and Decidueye would just be continuing that trend for me. Mimikyu has a lot more character by comparison in addition to being more unique. The game version of Mimikyu portrays a character with an underdog story that is relatable to most, while the anime portrays one that absolutely loathes Pikachu. Both takes on Mimikyu are pretty appealing. I would've liked to see this thing get in Pokken over a sentient sword (even if the moveset turned out alright) or Decidueye.

@FuzzyPickles As far as popularity over Decidueye, it's just all over the place. As far as things to document that popularity, Mimikyu's song has 2.5 million views for the main video on Youtube, and a couple other versions with a million views.

There is also a token Mimikyu hat in Pokemon Go. That might not sound very helpful, but it's the only instance of a Pokemon that's not gens 1-3 appearing in any form.

The anime, as much as we may not like it over here in the West, is still very popular in the East. I would argue Lucario was also only added because of the Anime. Lucario's role is very small in the games, at least back when he was added.

Mimikyu is also competitively viable, sitting comfortably in OU, while Decidueye is all the way down in RU. That might not sound relevant, but competitive viability basically equates to popularity in this franchise. It helped the otherwise irrelevant Greninja get into Smash 4. In a similar case, Mewtwo was cut from Brawl primarily because he was bottom tier.

Mimikyu leeching off of Pikachu's popularity is really going to help it in the long run, since because the character is directly tied to Pikachu it's always going to be somewhat relevant. Gamefreak has made countless Pikachu ripoffs that everyone has almost universally hated. After Pichu, Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne, and Togedemaru, they finally got one right.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

why does this thread keep resorting to decidueye bashing?
Agreed. Even the Incineroar thread (which I am in charge of, and I have a reputation for being heavily critical of the bird) keeps negative discussion of Decidueye out.
Guess who's an assist in Pokken~

It look gorgeous in HD. Being relegated to assist is a crime though, but with these questionable character choices still ongoing I'm not surprised.
Bear in mind that being an Assist isn't a complete end for Mimikyu. Remember that there's a certain troll frog that's both an Assist and a playable fighter.

That being said, I personally wouldn't expect Mimikyu to be made playable down the line. Instead, I'd look at the Assist role being significant praise.

After only the Starters were looked at for Sun & Moon content, Mimikyu was added in some form as unexpected DLC, likely as a testament to its popularity. With the corresponding Assist partner being freaking Mega Rayquaza nonetheless.

Luminario

Smash Lord
People do keep saying Decidueye is the one for Smash while focusing on arbitrary reasons like it's a grass starter though, instead of bringing up actual merits for it's inclusion like moveset potential and popularity. I agree though we don't have to resort to bashing Decidueye, especially since Mimikyu's got this in the bag anyway :awesome:
Bear in mind that being an Assist isn't a complete end for Mimikyu. Remember that there's a certain troll frog that's both an Assist and a playable fighter.

That being said, I personally wouldn't expect Mimikyu to be made playable down the line. Instead, I'd look at the Assist role being significant praise.

After only the Starters were looked at for Sun & Moon content, Mimikyu was added in some form as unexpected DLC, likely as a testament to its popularity. With the corresponding Assist partner being freaking Mega Rayquaza nonetheless.
No shade, but I honestly forgot Croagunk was in the game twice. That's a good point though, but I'm also not expecting any miracles here.

Looking at it like that though at least I don't have to second guess Mimikyu's popularity. Even official Nintendo uploads of the stream use Mimikyu's render in the thumbnail instead of the actual playable characters.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Someone else directly asked for responses to his points as to why Mimikyu should/will be in over Decidueye, and I replied. Badmouthing a character within their own thread is forbidden apparently, and I didn't even initiate this. I tried to argue how Mimikyu is more popular than Decidueye rather than just generically stating it is, so comparison is inevitable.

UserKev

Smash Champion
.. It wasn't. How you responded made it seem as that.
People do keep saying Decidueye is the one for Smash while focusing on arbitrary reasons like it's a grass starter though, instead of bringing up actual merits for it's inclusion like moveset potential and popularity. I agree though we don't have to resort to bashing Decidueye, especially since Mimikyu's got this in the bag anyway :awesome:
Agreed. Gotta let off steam somewhere.

I won't mention it anymore either though.
Also, Mimikyu exclusively an assist trophy is interesting anyway. It suddenly added at the last minute says a lot for it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
What if Smash 5 is announced sometime in 2018 or next year? What if the roster is in the works of being decided as we currently speculate?

We can actually beat the expiration date to gen 8 I hope to happen.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What if Smash 5 is announced sometime in 2018 or next year? What if the roster is in the works of being decided as we currently speculate?

We can actually beat the expiration date to gen 8 I hope to happen.
well they usually announce smash before they start developing it

Spud125

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2360-0901-6241
great idea, we need at least one more pokemon, otherwise, I dont want more of them, but I rather prefer decidueye....

Top Bottom