• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mimikyu Just Wants Some Friends! Mimikyu for Smash 5!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Is it possible that Sakurai found out about Mimikyu's popularity too late? Because the move it does as a Poke Ball is a bigger USUM reference than anything Incineroar does.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Is it possible that Sakurai found out about Mimikyu's popularity too late? Because the move it does as a Poke Ball is a bigger USUM reference than anything Incineroar does.
No. Sakurai was most likely already aware of Mimikyu's popularity since it immediately became known. Just its body type portions were seemly unworkable to Sakurai.

I can visualize Mimikyu having the most amazing Smash attacks and grab game. While slow on the ground, it would still have reliable coverage.

Mimikyu was a hidden gem for Smash. Its play style was to be visually stunning. It probably wouldn't have taken skill to learn tho. Haha

I wish Mimikyu could see an echo of the dedication in the Lycanroc thread. Are we really nearing the end of Mimikyu? Is relevancy that much a source for hype and discussion? Funny how this character suddenly became my most wanted when I was completely neutral on it and, still is. I wish there was more Mimikyu Smash visuals. Looking back, Wow was that congratulations fan art great! I really want to see how well Mimikyu could translate, its grab game, Recovery and a variety of ways Mimikyu's disguise mechanic could have functioned. It'd be a real bummer if Mimikyu's consideration was ultimately due to the missing ingredient of bandwagon appeal.

With Mimikyu being arguably the face of gen 7, I can't see the rivalry it has with Pikachu lasting even in the anime. In any case, I really really hope Mimikyu doesn't get an evolve form. :glare:

UserKev

Smash Champion
hey you were the one said it would last and would therefore be relevant
If this is what will get Mimikyu in Smash, honestly I'd just be happy its in. I don't specifically like "Wreck Pikachu" Mimikyu, I actually like depressed, neutral Mimikyu.

Savage Mimikyu FTW in memories.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If this is what will get Mimikyu in Smash, honestly I'd just be happy its in. I don't specifically like "Wreck Pikachu" Mimikyu, I actually like depressed, neutral Mimikyu.

Savage Mimikyu FTW in memories.
fair enough

UserKev

Smash Champion
Mimikyu isn't relevant anymore these days tho. I don't even think it has yet to appear in any recent Sword and Shield anime episode. Incineroar is the victor.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Mimikyu isn't relevant anymore these days tho. I don't even think it has yet to appear in any recent Sword and Shield anime episode. Incineroar is the victor.
When Chrom fans kept on sticking to him, you should keep campaigning for Mimikyu. Relevancy shouldn't matter for the world's biggest media franchise.

UserKev

Smash Champion
neither has incenroar
Incineroar is already in Smash and represents the wrestling fighter to Sakurai.

When Chrom fans kept on sticking to him, you should keep campaigning for Mimikyu. Relevancy shouldn't matter for the world's biggest media franchise.
I pretty much still support but it isn't getting in. The Chrom argument is literally grasping at straws.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Incineroar is already in Smash and represents the wrestling fighter to Sakurai.
ok then, relevancy isnt a legit argument anymore after sakurai said that it did not matter to him (though that may have been pure justifying terry) and you can hardly call him irreverent after being named number 3 in pokemon of the year, still being in the main series games and still reconized as a fan favourite before the vote

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The Chrom argument is literally grasping at straws.
More like it's an example of why Pokemon fans need to be more like FE fans instead of just consuming whatever comes from the latest gen.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Maybe Mimikyu can be possible but its support base needs to grow like asap. Decidueye didn't get in, Lyn still didn't get in and Terry was really lucky. Gamefreak likely went with Incineroar. Maybe there's some hope Sakurai may have wanted Mimikyu, by it being a pokeball, but Pokémon is strictly for promotion purposes in Smash. If Pokémon is to get a new rep, it will be a gen 8 mon.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Pokémon is to get a new rep, it will be a gen 8 mon.
It's not guaranteed. With them wanting to expand the audience of Smash, they could go with something more appealing to Go players. Which would include Mimikyu, as while it's not in Go it does get referenced.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Maybe Mimikyu can be possible but its support base needs to grow like asap. Decidueye didn't get in, Lyn still didn't get in and Terry was really lucky. Gamefreak likely went with Incineroar. Maybe there's some hope Sakurai may have wanted Mimikyu, by it being a pokeball, but Pokémon is strictly for promotion purposes in Smash. If Pokémon is to get a new rep, it will be a gen 8 mon.
more support is always a good thing to have and as you rightly point out popularity doesnt always work, its like sakurai picks characters out of two categories, characters he wants and characters fans want. now we have no way of knowing if pokemon is pure promotional but i can see why anyone would think that, if anything things are looking the best from dragapult who was just named top gen 8 pokemon

more support can work but its no guarantee

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
now we have no way of knowing if pokemon is pure promotional
The only evidence we have is the last two newcomers being Greninja and Incineroar, but that's not the best example of it being promos only when Smash 4 had a bigger focus on adding fighters from unrepresented series and/or that were too new for Brawl, and Ultimate had a limited newcomer budget.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The only evidence we have is the last two newcomers being Greninja and Incineroar, but that's not the best example of it being promos only when Smash 4 had a bigger focus on adding fighters from unrepresented series and/or that were too new for Brawl, and Ultimate had a limited newcomer budget.
thats sort of the point we dont know much about the reasoning behind the inclusions, all we have to go on is, with greninja he just picked him and inceneroar all we know is he was picked over decidueye and sakurai likes wrestlers

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Man, I wish Mimikyu was our Gen 7 rep instead of Incineroar. I even made a moveset for it:

B : Dazzling Gleam; after holding B, Mimikyu emits a shining light that covers a large area
B + Forwards : Play Rough; Mimikyu tackles the opponent in a cartoonish cloud as it hits them repeatedly
B + Up : Fling; Mimikyu propels itself straight upward using one of its arms; this can either Meteor Smash opponents or force Mimikyu to drop an item it's holding, both of which propel it slightly higher
B + Down : Astonish; after holding B for 1.5 seconds, Mimikyu astonishes opponents directly in front of it, briefly stunning them
Final Smash: Let's Snuggle Forever; Mimikyu extends its arm to grab opponents; the opponents are then taken into a cutscene where Mimikyu..."snuggles" with them inside its cloth, instantly KO-ing any over 100%

UserKev

Smash Champion
Eh, it's probably best to move on. Least Chrom got a Final Smash.
It depends on the scenario. Chrom was at least a main focus of his respective debut Fire Emblem. Mimikyu was never really a main focus, that's how Incineraor beat it. I wish Mimikyu got Jigglypuff's luck, would have really helped it.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, as sad as it is, Pokemon tend to "expire" as time goes on, with Smash inclusions favoring the newest gens at the time. Mimikyu would have definitely been the best choice to represent Gen 7, but no can do.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, as sad as it is, Pokemon tend to "expire" as time goes on, with Smash inclusions favoring the newest gens at the time. Mimikyu would have definitely been the best choice to represent Gen 7, but no can do.
Only because Smash fans ignore how Pokemon fans still think highly of various Pokemon that aren't from the latest gen. At least they do nowadays, considering Gardevoir was the subject of a base game leak and Sceptile used to be speculated on in Smash 4.

...even then most of this speculation was just to fill quotas, and they don't think of "Pokemon newcomer chosen based on popularity rather than shilling the new gen" as a quota that exists.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Only because Smash fans ignore how Pokemon fans still think highly of various Pokemon that aren't from the latest gen. At least they do nowadays, considering Gardevoir was the subject of a base game leak and Sceptile used to be speculated on in Smash 4.

...even then most of this speculation was just to fill quotas, and they don't think of "Pokemon newcomer chosen based on popularity rather than shilling the new gen" as a quota that exists.
Mimikyu is without a doubt iconic, but it lacks the right support. I even think Gamefreak choose Incineroar over it. If we learn one thing from Sakurai's Decidueye comment, if Mimikyu didn't get in off natural merits, it isn't likely anymore because the support for it is still too niche.

Not like other Nintendo IP's, Pokemon has a stronger turn off point prier to the next generation.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but it lacks the right support
Again, that is the result of Smash fan ignorance. In a world where they actually know their **** about Pokemon, Mimikyu, Eevee, and Gardevoir would be seen as Cinderace's "rivals", not Rillaboom, Toxitricity, and Urshifu.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, Mimikyu is pretty boring in the main Pokemon games. It's always the same (Set up) Swords Dance/Play Rough/Shadow Claw/Wood Hammer. There isn't really any other roles for it. But it could have been amazing in Smash with improve visuals.

Incineroar and Decidueye are more colorful and engaging.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly, Mimikyu is pretty boring in the main Pokemon games. It's always the same (Set up) Swords Dance/Play Rough/Shadow Claw/Wood Hammer. There isn't really any other roles for it. But it could have been amazing in Smash with improve visuals
Do you think Sakurai bases Pokemon movesets off competitive usage or something? Because he doesn't.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Do you think Sakurai bases Pokemon movesets off competitive usage or something? Because he doesn't.
It's boring in the mainline Pokemon games, but not the anime. It just doesn't have much usage other than a fast KO. Mimikyu "WOULD BE" amazing in Smash because it'd mostly inspire from it's anime melee attacking.

Top Bottom