• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mimikyu Just Wants Some Friends! Mimikyu for Smash 5!

D

Deleted member

well they usually announce smash before they start developing it
I wish they would stop doing that. When they did it with Brawl, we had to wait a year before the trailer and then had over a year of almost nothing. With Smash 4, we got an annoucement at E3 2011 and no trailer until two years later.

I don't see the point of saying "Smash is happening guys!". When we get the game, I expect a trailer.

...that said if we get a trailer at E3 2018 and the release date of Gen 8 is far enough away to where Sakurai couldn't decide on one, a Gen 8 Pokemon could show up. Maybe Mimikyu has a chance after all but we have to see about future announcements.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spud125

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2360-0901-6241
Wrong thread. There's a Decidueye support thread waiting for you.
jeje, sorry, Mimikyu is not a bad idea, he can even have his own moveset and be a semi clone or a totally new character, your ideas are good but We also need a grass type pokemon...

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
jeje, sorry, Mimikyu is not a bad idea, he can even have his own moveset and be a semi clone or a totally new character, your ideas are good but We also need a grass type pokemon...
A grass type is sadly old news. Its been done with Ivysaur in Brawl. You mean ghost type? Mimikyu and Decidueye are both part ghost.

Spud125

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2360-0901-6241
A grass type is sadly old news. Its been done with Ivysaur in Brawl. You mean ghost type? Mimikyu and Decidueye are both part ghost.
it better be like that.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A grass type is sadly old news. Its been done with Ivysaur in Brawl.
by that logic greninja shouldnt have been in smash 4 cause of squirtle, or mimikyu because we already had a fairy type in jigglypuff

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
by that logic greninja shouldnt have been in smash 4 cause of squirtle, or mimikyu because we already had a fairy type in jigglypuff
Greninja is part dark. Jigglypuff wasn't fairy originally.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I don't think types already in Smash are really going to affect the decision anyway, especially since Ivysaur and Decidueye use different types of Grass attacks. Ivy focused on vines and pollen and other flowery stuff, while Decidueye would probably focus more on leaves and arrow feathers. Similarly Mimikyu and Decidueye are both unlikely to overlap that much, as Decidueye's Ghost typing would be more of an afterthought due to the focus of it being a grassy owl archer, but Mimikyu would ramp up the creepy ghost factor to 11.

We really don't have to resort to this petty reasoning anyway. Mimikyu is one of the most pushed Pokemon of Gen 7, popular with both the casual and competitive crowd, and TPC knows it. It appears in merchandise, official videos, advertisements, and is one of the only Pokemon to gain a Z move purely out of popularity. Unless we're in a situation where gen 7 is being skipped they're likely to round up all the viable Pokemon for Smash that can have a unique gimmick and pick the most popular. The only other situations I can think of where they don't go for Mimikyu is if they want to complete the starter type trio or the next directer feels too strongly about using a different viable Pokemon.

UserKev

Smash Champion
so what what your saying is we shouldnt have a type weve had before unless its combined with a type we havent had before?
What I'm saying is, are you even a Mimikyu supporter at this point? Yes. The same types shouldn't be reintroduced in Smash to an extend. A grass type can play differently but, I would still know its a grass type and, that's repetitive. I want to see an all around different type.

Mimikyu is basically pure ghost type anyway.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What I'm saying is, are you even a Mimikyu supporter at this point? Yes. The same types shouldn't be reintroduced in Smash to an extend. A grass type can play differently but, I would still know its a grass type and, that's repetitive. I want to see an all around different type.

Mimikyu is basically pure ghost type anyway.
i am a mimikyu supporter (i wouldnt be here if i wasnt) i just dont see the need to go around bashing the other gen 7 pokemon and that some of your logic is a bit flawed and it seems you’re twisting your own arguments to suit yourself

also mimikyu is plenty fairy his signature z-move is fairy

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
i am a mimikyu supporter (i wouldnt be here if i wasnt) i just dont see the need to go around bashing the other gen 7 pokemon and that some of your logic is a bit flawed and it seems you’re twisting your own arguments to suit yourself
Who's still bashing other gen 7 Pokémon? Decidueye hasn't been relevant in this thread since the last page.
We were discussing Pokémon type representation in Smash. Maybe I am? Mimikyu is the gen 7 Pokémon I support. This is the Mimikyu support thread. A noticeable amount of users completely shuts Mimikyu out of the realm of possibility in consideration for Smash and you never seem to comment on this matter.

also mimikyu is plenty fairy his signature z-move is fairy
I know that. Mimikyu is still basically full ghost majority of the time. It barely has any fairy characteristics.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Who's still bashing other gen 7 Pokémon? Decidueye hasn't been relevant in this thread since the last page.
We were discussing Pokémon type representation in Smash. Maybe I am? Mimikyu is the gen 7 Pokémon I support. This is the Mimikyu support thread. A noticeable amount of users completely shuts Mimikyu out of the realm of possibility in consideration for Smash and you never seem to comment on this matter.

I know that. Mimikyu is still basically full ghost majority of the time. It barely has any fairy characteristics.
no somebody brought up decidueye a bit further up and you pretty much told them to get lost even though he was still saying they liked mimikyu which i just think theres no need

ive never seen these users who say mimikyu has no chance hence why i never comment of such things

and lets face type representation doesnt to smash

do you mean hes has more in common with other ghost type pokemon or that he learns more ghost type moves?

UserKev

Smash Champion
do you mean hes has more in common with other ghost type pokemon or that he learns more ghost type moves?
Just the way Mimikyu acts and moves. It leans more towards a ghost. You can tell the fairy part of its typing was just a add on.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just the way Mimikyu acts and moves. It leans more towards a ghost. You can tell the fairy part of its typing was just a add on.
well we can definitely agree on him acting very ghost like

although hes definiatly one of the less creepy ghost pokemon what with whole murder and eating humans some of the others get up yo

UserKev

Smash Champion
well we can definitely agree on him acting very ghost like

although hes definiatly one of the less creepy ghost pokemon what with whole murder and eating humans some of the others get up yo
I never considered Mimikyu creepy for this reason. Its like, Mimikyu tries to hard and turn it into a gimmick. It just has great melee skills.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I never considered Mimikyu creepy for this reason. Its like, Mimikyu tries to hard and turn it into a gimmick. It just has great melee skills.
thats what i mean mimikyu isn’t all that creepy he just wants friends unlike his soul stealing ghost brethren

he’s definitely got battle skills

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I’m gonna work on a mimikyu moveset will post it tomorrow.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
You know what, sign me up to this support thread. I thought I wanted Decidueye because he's a cool archer, but this is a way better and much more unique idea. Mimikyu has so much potential, especially with Disguise. Imagine if the first 10-20% damage if free, then Disguise is busted and Mimikyu only starts taking damage then, for each stock.

Mimikyu could use Shadow Claw, Play Rough, Shadow Sneak, Mimic, Double Team, and of course for a Final Smash, Let's Snuggle Forever.

I am hyped for this concept!

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Every single generation, Gamefreak tried to capture lightning in a bottle (no pun intended) again with a Pikachu rip-off, and every time they've failed...until now. Gamefreak creatively used the fact that Mimikyu is ripping off Pikachu for popularity to turn it into a sympathetic, tragic character that the player would do anything to be friends with. I absolutely adore Mimikyu, it's easily my favorite Gen VII Pokemon behind Buzzwole, and if he doesn't get in then I'm all for Mimikyu.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Every single generation, Gamefreak tried to capture lightning in a bottle (no pun intended) again with a Pikachu rip-off, and every time they've failed...until now. Gamefreak creatively used the fact that Mimikyu is ripping off Pikachu for popularity to turn it into a sympathetic, tragic character that the player would do anything to be friends with. I absolutely adore Mimikyu, it's easily my favorite Gen VII Pokemon behind Buzzwole, and if he doesn't get in then I'm all for Mimikyu.
bit harsh on the other electric rodents, also its not really a rip off when its made by the same people

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Oh, a mimikyu thread nya! My favorite 7 gen pokemon nya! I wanya see its cute face murdering whatever roster we end up getting nya! Mimikyu for smash, please Nintendo nya!:nifty:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Count me in. The only Pokemon at this point that I support. I've already thought of a specials moveset:

Neutral: Toxic - Mimikyu spits a sludgy projectile that poisons opponent, doing gradual damage up to 9%.

Side: Sucker Punch - a counter where Mimikyu dashes forward like Fox/Falco's side special. If it comes in contact with a hitbox, the entire area where Mimikyu dashes through is covered in a hitbox that sends opponents flying. Has endlag, so can be punished if it doesn't counter. Also good for recovering to the ledge.

Up: Quick Attack - Since Mimikyu wants to emulate Pikachu, I thought it would be fitting to take one special from Pikachu. Works exactly like Pikachu's QA, but trades hitboxes for intangibility.

Down: Hone Claws - Mimikyu puts its hands together and it recieves a brief (10 sec) knockback boost to its moves, as well as a range boost to any normals that use its claws. Leaves Mimikyu vulnerable for a second, so use at a safe distance.

Final Smash: Let's Snuggle Forever - Mimikyu does a mid-range lunge forward, exposing its underside. If it grabs an opponent, it traps them beneath its disguise and pummels them for 30% before launching them away.

I picture Mimikyu having mostly headbutts, claw swipes, punches, and tail slaps as its normals, as well as a reverse Bowser Jr. gimmick with its disguise. If its underside is hit, it takes more percent than the rest of the cast and receives more knockback. If the disguise is hit, it takes less percent than the rest of the cast with less knockback. Its underside is completely covered while crouching. Mimikyu is quite fast and mobile, but has around G&W 's weight, so it can die pretty early.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
You know what, sign me up to this support thread. I thought I wanted Decidueye because he's a cool archer, but this is a way better and much more unique idea. Mimikyu has so much potential, especially with Disguise. Imagine if the first 10-20% damage if free, then Disguise is busted and Mimikyu only starts taking damage then, for each stock.

Mimikyu could use Shadow Claw, Play Rough, Shadow Sneak, Mimic, Double Team, and of course for a Final Smash, Let's Snuggle Forever.

I am hyped for this concept!
When you watch Mimikyu's fighting in the Pokémon Sun/Moon anime, it really does excite you. Its also pretty much going to be a reference to Jessie's.

Sometimes I have to wonder as if Mimikyu was absent from Melee.

Smady

Smash Master
This would be an excellent choice out of all the gen 7 popular choices. Wouldn't it be nice for once to have a Pokemon everyone likes as a character or design rather than the latest big "mascot?" Mimikyu is cool, unique and could have a standout unorthodox set. It's not the likeliest thing to happen but the best option.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Fairly sure I'm in the minority here but I seriously think Mimikyu has better chances than any other gen 7 Pokemon. He got a z-move, some kind of fun music video during the prerelease stuff for sun and moon, and I'm pretty sure he plays some sort of important role in the anime? I think? I don't know Mimikyu just seems really popular and has unique options which Sakurai seems to like. Plus I love Mimkyu.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Fairly sure I'm in the minority here but I seriously think Mimikyu has better chances than any other gen 7 Pokemon. He got a z-move, some kind of fun music video during the prerelease stuff for sun and moon, and I'm pretty sure he plays some sort of important role in the anime? I think? I don't know Mimikyu just seems really popular and has unique options which Sakurai seems to like. Plus I love Mimkyu.
Mimikyu's competitors are so vocal. It has constant mentioning even outside of SmashBoards. Its so auto to where, it comes off forced. Some want the starter trio complete which, isn't a reason. Its interesting.

I feel like, you gotta have caution now. Mimikyu is so neglected.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, this is my most wanted character in Smash 5. While realistically I think Decidueye is likelier, the fact that Mimikyu is so popular and would generate actual hype makes me cautiously optimistic for its chances. Imagine the character trailer reveal: for Decidueye, it would be like "Oh, it's Decidueye, that's cool but expected", but for Mimikyu, HYPE. It would be so unique and so fun to play that I could spend all day daydreaming of what it would be like.

Come to think of it, how popular is Decidueye really? It has a good design, but other than that, it's an off brand Greninja since Game Freak forgot to make it actually good in the games, so unless it gets buffed, it won't be future proof.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Come to think of it, how popular is Decidueye really? It has a good design, but other than that, it's an off brand Greninja since Game Freak forgot to make it actually good in the games, so unless it gets buffed, it won't be future proof.
It's popular on here I've noticed, or at least the fact it's a grass starter is popular. Beyond it's appearance in Pokken where it was the only starter capable of working in the game it doesn't get pushed by TPC at all on it's own. There's also the popularity poll from that magazine where Decidueye made no appearance in the top 14 (Rowlet was 1st and Mimikyu was 2nd, but it was specifically Rowlet as opposed to Decidueye as Primarina got 3rd). It's also unlikely to pop up in the anime in any long-term form, as everything seems to point to Rowlet staying unevolved as Litten is the starter going to stage 3 evo.
Everything seems to point to Mimikyu or Lycanroc as the Gen 7 rep.

Staarih

Smash Master
It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine how many take Decidueye as the guaranteed Pokémon newcomer but then be vague like "Mario rep" or "Fire Emblem rep" for some other series (sure, they might not have any glaring "next-in-line" options, but neither does Pokémon at this point really). Decidueye has a cool design and great attributes to Smash but I still wouldn't personally think of him as a lock in any means, but to each their own of course. I have a gut feeling it's either going to be Mimikyu or someone different, who'll be a overlooked surprise addition.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, this is my most wanted character in Smash 5. While realistically I think Decidueye is likelier, the fact that Mimikyu is so popular and would generate actual hype makes me cautiously optimistic for its chances. Imagine the character trailer reveal: for Decidueye, it would be like "Oh, it's Decidueye, that's cool but expected", but for Mimikyu, HYPE. It would be so unique and so fun to play that I could spend all day daydreaming of what it would be like.
That's a good way to look at it. Mimikyu is unexpected and, this is a beneficial thing. They don't realize what it can actually do. A bootleg Pikachu, which is actually badass.

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine how many take Decidueye as the guaranteed Pokémon newcomer but then be vague like "Mario rep" or "Fire Emblem rep" for some other series (sure, they might not have any glaring "next-in-line" options, but neither does Pokémon at this point really). Decidueye has a cool design and great attributes to Smash but I still wouldn't personally think of him as a lock in any means, but to each their own of course. I have a gut feeling it's either going to be Mimikyu or someone different, who'll be a overlooked surprise addition.
Honestly, Decidueye feels purposeless to me. I seen it in the Sun And Moon anime with Incineroar and, it was just there. It almost looked out of place. I think its pre evo's look better than it.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I would rather get Marshadow as a gen 7 rep but I wouldn’t mind Mimikyu at all. I feel like the best way to implement Disguise would be to make it block the first attack that deals 15% or more. Blocking the first attack, no matter it’s power would be pretty pointless.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

As Luminario said, outside of Pokken, Decidueye doesn't really get promoted much if at all. Pretty sure his base form, Rowlet is more popular and marketed by TPC than its final stage, which will most probably lead to it not even evolving in the anime, I think even Incenaroar had more spotlight and marketing under its belt as far as the fully evolved Alolan starter trio is concerned.

As for Mimikyu, I feel like it has a decent shot since it generally seems to have more popularity and marketing under its belt. As well as Its disguise ability may bring in some interesting gameplay elements into the game. Assuming gen 8 doesn't drop in at the last minute and throw a wrench into the plan, I think it has a decent chance.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
As Luminario said, outside of Pokken, Decidueye doesn't really get promoted much if at all. Pretty sure his base form, Rowlet is more popular and marketed by TPC than its final stage, which will most probably lead to it not even evolving in the anime, I think even Incenaroar had more spotlight and marketing under its belt as far as the fully evolved Alolan starter trio is concerned.
Gamefreak has an annoying habit of promoting the Fire-type starter and kind of leaving the other two in the dust, with the only real outlier being Gen 6 with Greninja. Charizard (whom I love dearly so I guess the marketing works), Typhlosion, Blaziken, Infernanape, and now Inceneroar, it gets tiresome.

Anyways, Mimikyu. I’ve always been fond of this Pokémon, ever since it got leaked in Corocoro. It’s design is the right balance between spooky and adorable, it’s got a neat backstory under it’s hood, and plenty of moves to play with. That said, I’d personally rather see Decidueye if it came down to one or the other, but if they needed a cute fairy to replace Jiggs, there’s no one I’d rather see than Mimikyu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom