• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

relisthain

Smash Apprentice
It sounds like links bow has been upgraded? could someone test to see if it works the way sakurai is describing it in brawl.

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
So what does everyone think about the caption on the new pic? Could this mean that when two projectiles clash, the one with a higher priority cancels out later?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
So what does everyone think about the caption on the new pic? Could this mean that when two projectiles clash, the one with a higher priority cancels out later?
I think it just means that link's fully charged bow shot travels faster than pit's because it doesn't charge. therefore it cancels closer to pit.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
This is actually a pretty good pic if you see what Sakurai says. Maybe the more vulnerable after attacking you are the more priority your attacks have. This could just be an old mechanic but just with a new coat of paint. I'm not sure what he means by accuracy. I mean of course accuracy in hitting the enemy but is there something more? and what does he mean by physical ability.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Whatever it means, I'm just glad Sakurai has, not only given recognition to the leak by doing these Kid Icarus pics, but has not de-confirmed the leak.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
links bow gets a buff, pits bow gets a nerf.
a possible hint toward palutena again.

relisthain

Smash Apprentice
If I am interpreting his words correctly this could mean that priority is predetermined by more factors than before.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
Basically, this means two things.

1. Sakurai is reaffirming his attention to detail and balance, even though it's something he's hammered into our heads for months now and thus this pic is useless.......

2. What? Were you expecting something? :troll:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
While it shows nothing new, the pic is cool. Might make it my desktop background. :p

The pic seems to say that Link's arrows are stronger than Pit's. Sounds fitting enough.

More importantly, though two Kid Icarus pics consecutively doesn't seem to be coincidence. Totally not getting my hopes up.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
It's cool how they show comments on Miiverse posts now. Not sure if it's always been like that, but non-members can now see them.

Some of my favorites from this pic:

Untitled-1.png

The second to bottom one is pretty cool and thought out.

-----

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
Aw, that's what I get for hyping myself.

Anywhoo, I like Pit's new stylish pose.

Also, can we call this week the Kid Icarus Week?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If I am interpreting his words correctly this could mean that priority is predetermined by more factors than before.
Didn't we see two aerials clashing in one of the trailers? The priority system is probably in some way changed, but I'm not sure if this picture is alluding to that so much as it's explaining that the factors that can lead to characters being at an advantage or disadvantage compared to others can be complex (physical attribute in this case would refer to things like run speed, fall speed, traction, etc.). So it's not really new info, but it's an insight to the sort of factors being weighed for the game's balance.

I kinda like this pic.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I wasn't around today but it sounds like people were expecting the Ice Climbers today because it's their anniversary?

Why? I am legitimately confused by this. How many characters have we gotten revealed on an anniversary so far. None?(Maybe one? I don't remember). And how many anniversary's have passed where we didn't get a character? Why do people still expect characters to be revealed on anniversaries? I get people expecting reveals with game releases because that's happened like eight times or something now but anniversaries?

Sakurai seems to like being unpredictable anyways, I don't see why he'd want to go out of his way to tie every reveal to an easily predictable date. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the whole game release tie in thing was a mandate or at least a request from Nintendo, or even just Sakurai trying to help Nintendo out, but what reason would Sakurai have to promote the anniversary of a series that hasn't had a game in decades. How many people even know this is the Ice Climber's anniversary except people who were scouring for a day to expect a character reveal? I'm actually a big fan of the original Ice Climbers game and they're my secondary character in Smash and I still had no idea today was their anniversary until I came here.

These little details about the game engine just makes it more interesting. The balance in the game is not only skin deep, but also is rooted on a deeper set of algorithms that determine priority. I feel as if with this particular picture perhaps the arrows collide midway, but shortly after it travels a bit more and dissipates (also seen with Pit as he cut Samus' missile in half), so perhaps with some more charge it would actually hit pit or put him in a disadvantaged hit trade stun.

This subtlety highlights how trading will work in this game with a combination of individual character stats, attack directions and in some cases, logic (I.E. Samus' missile). Maybe trading certain attacks will cause the opponent to act a certain way, like, if you were to trade with Link's Forward tilt you would get pushed back without damage and you would win the trade, or if you traded with his D -tilt you would get tripped without damage. I hope this is the case with individual character balance as it's kind of dumb to be able to beat a Samus full charge shot with Mario's Nair of Bair.

This smash is all about detail. I'm so ****ing excited, man.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree, people have put waaaay too much expectation on getting stuff due to an anniversary. For all we know such a thing doesn't even occur to Sakurai (excluding Smash's anniversary - which only got a fleeting remark), and getting Peach on the day we did (which iirc sparked this whole thing - as people couldn't rationalize it any other way) was mere coincidence considering we haven't gotten an "anniversary-related" reveal since. It's not like any anniversary was mentioned in her caption either.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the second part of this paragraph?
Is he still talking about projectiles cancelling each other?

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't around today but it sounds like people were expecting the Ice Climbers today because it's their anniversary?

Why? I am legitimately confused by this. How many characters have we gotten revealed on an anniversary so far. None?(Maybe one? I don't remember). And how many anniversary's have passed where we didn't get a character? Why do people still expect characters to be revealed on anniversaries? I get people expecting reveals with game releases because that's happened like eight times or something now but anniversaries?

Sakurai seems to like being unpredictable anyways, I don't see why he'd want to go out of his way to tie every reveal to an easily predictable date. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the whole game release tie in thing was a mandate or at least a request from Nintendo, or even just Sakurai trying to help Nintendo out, but what reason would Sakurai have to promote the anniversary of a series that hasn't had a game in decades. How many people even know this is the Ice Climber's anniversary except people who were scouring for a day to expect a character reveal? I'm actually a big fan of the original Ice Climbers game and they're my secondary character in Smash and I still had no idea today was their anniversary until I came here.
It largely had to do with the fact that Sakurai does reveal all these other characters with a game just like you said. IC's had no game coming obviously so it made sense for them to be revealed on probably the only day they specifically were relevant. I guess also my own personal desire clouded my judgement as well, need to keep my expectations more in check.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the second part of this paragraph?
Is he still talking about projectiles cancelling each other?
Typically in fighting games there are different things that will affect how projectiles interact and how zoning should be applied. Not just the speed of the individual projectile, but durability (some projectiles will push through others because they can "take more" than others), how much recovery a character will have after use (gotta time right to avoid someone jumping in and punishing you, or getting out-zoned if against another keepaway character), etc. To win you need to be tactical about those types of things and I think that is what Sakurai was trying to say.

Last edited:

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
inb4 Palutena tomorrow. Would be just like Sakurai, knowing that he was playing our hopes up, then dashing them with a seemingly unrelated picture, then telling us we were right after all.

UNLESS HE'S EXPECTING THAT TOO.

Sakurai: (laughs)

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
Not exactly sure about the picture.

Because the projectiles cancel closer to Pit, it could mean that Link's arrow comes out faster or travels faster. Pretty sure Pit's were much faster in Brawl.

Otherwise, there may be some new projectile cancelling mechanics wherein the arrows meet somewhere in the middle and the stronger projectile continues forward for a longer period, with the other being cancelled immediately.

OR Link's arrow was just fully/partially charged. Some interesting information nonetheless!

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Link's fully charged arrows have always been faster than Pit's arrows. However I'm not sure they were ever quite to this degree.

Also this might come off as foolish but I'm glad Sakurai didn't reveal the ice climbers today, it might mean that there is a better chance of a second pokemon rep being revealed next month. I'm highly anticipating the second poke rep reveal as I feel it will say a lot for that series involvement.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Link's fully charged arrows have always been faster than Pit's arrows. However I'm not sure they were ever quite to this degree.
Link's fully charged arrows do travel faster, but they obviously take longer to come out.
Also this might come off as foolish but I'm glad Sakurai didn't reveal the ice climbers today, it might mean that there is a better chance of a second pokemon rep being revealed next month. I'm highly anticipating the second poke rep reveal as I feel it will say a lot for that series involvement.
Eh, I think the Ice Climbers will be saved for E3 or later, along with a lot of veterans.

As for a Pokémon character, I wouldn't plan on it until after Diddy is revealed (that's who we're inevitably gonna get here sometime next month, probably 2 weeks from now on the Day of Reckoning), as well as Palutena's now highly expected reveal sometime in February or March (the 22nd of March makes sense, since Uprising came out in Japan then).

Oh, and Yoshi's inevitable reveal on March 14th when Yoshi's New Island launches (the original 8 reunited at last!!!).

Still, I can't decide between Jigglypuff or Lucario as to which Pokémon veteran we'd get. I think Lucario would be a bigger deal, and would be preferable for then, whereas Jigglypuff could be saved for E3 to be revealed with say the rest of the Smash 64 OG's (Captain freaking Falcon and Ness), a few Melee vets (G&W makes sense, as does Falco), and some of the Brawl crew (Wario in particular would be nice).

Lastly, for the Ice Climbers, I see their reveal being held onto for a while. I imagine they'll have some changes, specifically for balancing purposes, and to make them more "easy to access" characters (which strangely Project M did a better job at that than Nintendo; go figure the game mod making Brawl deeper like Melee made the Ice Climbers so simple that a simpleton like me can win with them).

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Link's fully charged arrows do travel faster, but they obviously take longer to come out.
Not when they are fully charged, I believe. Link builds up quite a bit of speed while Pit's remain a fixed speed. If I am wrong than that just means either Link got buffed or Pit got nerfed. I would go with the former before the latter.

As for a Pokémon character, I wouldn't plan on it until after Diddy is revealed (that's who we're inevitably gonna get here sometime next month, probably 2 weeks from now on the Day of Reckoning), as well as Palutena's now highly expected reveal sometime in February or March (the 22nd of March makes sense, since Uprising came out in Japan then).

Still, I can't decide between Jigglypuff or Lucario as to which Pokémon veteran we'd get. I think Lucario would be a bigger deal, and would be preferable for then, whereas Jigglypuff could be saved for E3 to be revealed with say the rest of the Smash 64 OG's (Captain freaking Falcon and Ness), a few Melee vets (G&W makes sense, as does Falco), and some of the Brawl crew (Wario in particular would be nice).
That's why I am glad the Ic's didn't get revealed, it means there is a better chance of two reveals next months (at least in my head it makes sense). I've been looking at opportune times for a next pokemon reveal and honestly the closest two options I see is the pokemon anniversary or a random reveal. I know I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but still.

And I would hope neither Jiggles or Lucario get revealed first. Actually I'm expecting the opposite, either Red or Mewtwo. To me, those first two shout unlockable. I know there have been unexpected reveals up to this point (mostly Tink) but I feel like he is more of the exceptions than the rule. If Pokemon Trainer is in the game then he will be most certainly be a starter so I feel like he has the best shot of being revealed next poke' wise, however I can see Mewtwo being revealed due to the situation surrounding him and hype based around that. If Lucario or Jiggles get revealed next that means bad news for Red (at least to me).

Also John, On a side note The way you talk makes me feel like you're trying to give the impression that you're talking from a wrestling ring with a mike in your hand. I don't know, maybe it's your avatar or something but I thought I should at least let you know. Is that your intention by chance?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If I see Falcon in HD on god imma bust a nut.
As long as Rick Wheeler isn't disguised as Captain Falcon like what we got in Brawl, I agree.

Actually, scratch that. I disagree. I won't bust a gut, I'll bust a PAWNCH, KICK, and GREAT KNEE OF JUSTICE!!!!!
Not when they are fully charged, I believe. Link builds up quite a bit of speed while Pit's remain a fixed speed. If I am wrong than that just means either Link got buffed or Pit got nerfed. I would go with the former before the latter.
Pit's timing inevitably got changed so he's not a camper anymore, whereas Link probably received nothing but buffs after Brawl! :laugh: (the same goes for Jiggs)
That's why I am glad the Ic's didn't get revealed, it means there is a better chance of two reveals next months (at least in my head it makes sense). I've been looking at opportune times for a next pokemon reveal and honestly the closest two options I see is the pokemon anniversary or a random reveal. I know I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but still.
A random reveal in April or early May makes sense. After early May I don't see us getting anything, maybe sans May 10th (which was when Brawl was revealed on my 16th birthday). :p

I say that, of course, because E3 is in June, and why not save all the BIGGGGGGGG stuff for E3=???

Of course, that applies to the Pokémon Trainer and especially Mewtwo. Both of them would make great E3 reveals. I say this for the Pokémon Trainer because it's a 3 in 1 character deal. I say it for Mewtwo because, well, he's been the most wanted character for Smash 4 that wasn't in Brawl since Day 1.

Jigglypuff I see getting revealed alongside other veterans, much like how the 9 veterans in the debut trailer were revealed alongside one another.

Lucario, to me, seems the least "big reveal"-ish, so I think that would be the safest bet for an early reveal. That's why I think I'd pick him. Still, Jigglypuff could definitely happen, especially if Sakurai wants to "show off" how Jigglypuff got fixed after being an abomination in Brawl.
If Lucario or Jiggles get revealed next that means bad news for Red (at least to me).
The Pokémon Trainer isn't going anywhere (or at least his Pokémon). Sakurai likes unique characters too much to cut them.
Also John, On a side note The way you talk makes me feel like you're trying to give the impression that you're talking from a wrestling ring with a mike in your hand. I don't know, maybe it's your avatar or something but I thought I should at least let you know. Is that your intention by chance?
Honestly, I just chose that picture of Chris Weidman because I like the way he fights, I like his attitude, and I loved that picture. That and after faking out SWF that I was a female, I felt like changing my avatar to a picture of a guy would eliminate that confusion! :rotfl:

If I wanted to go for that wrastling vibe, I'd have put Chael Sonnen. In fact, allow me to quote The West Lynn Gangster...
"I'm the man of the hour
too sweet to be sour
What you see is what you get
and what you don't is better yet
I'm the women's pick
and the men's regret
And if you bet against Chael Sonnen you made a bad bet!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom