• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, good news for Marth mains. I do kind of agree with Sakurai about Shield Breaker being used quite less.

It's actually pretty great that the buffed Shield Breaker. A close range fighter who can break sheilds is a great idea, it just wasn't very useful.

Wish I didn't have to stay up an extra hour to see it, but it's cool.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
No no no Sakurai you were close but that still reveals what a shield break looks like AND that the shield braker was buffed. I wanted you to reveal nothing.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The lateness is funny, but this is a pretty meaningful update. Shield Breaker was always underrated on Marth as it stood since the way tippers work makes Marth more than a little scary against low shields; making it a lot more powerful could be a large buff for an already good character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be honest, it is a cool update.

I wonder how much more powerful it is...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I thought it was a joke picture. That actually dropped my hype down so low that when I found out it wasn't, I became totally okay with it.

Woo.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Remember when we got three character reveals on the 12th? It might have broken, but here's hoping for Thursday. 33 days without a character reveal. I'm developing a twitch.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Yeah...

Marth really didn't need it.

Of course, that may mean they're nerfing him in other areas...
Out of all of Marth's moves, this is the most useless. Perhaps in balancing the characters, Sakurai watches other people play and sees how often each move is used. There are so many special attacks that need nerfing.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Yeah...

"Pic of the day.
With Marth's increased power and priority in some moves, we've downgraded other things for the sake of balance.
For example, Marth's down air attack no longer sends opponents downward, so some old combos won't work this time." :laughs:

----

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Yeah...

Marth was one of those characters that didn't have a lot of glaring strengths compared to ICs and MK. There really isn't any need for them to nerf him.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
If not-so commonly used moves are getting buffs, then what other moves will be getting an improvement? Already have Link's D-air having spiking properties and now this, so what next? Could get rid of Mario's Fludd and give him something more useful, perhaps.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Okay, I as a player have a long running bad habit of letting my shield run down; I generally figure that it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't break. I've run into a very few Marth players who were smart enough to realize that if I let my shield get kinda low that they could just throw out a spaced Shield Breaker in a situation I'd have to block and, even though they were putting themselves at frame disadvantage, in reality they were gaining tons of offensive momentum as I then couldn't block anything safely for a while, especially given how easily Marth shieldstabs anyway. This is with how the move works in Brawl as it stands. A lot of Marths never realized they could do this, but as lot of Marths also literally never use Counter and let me get away with stuff that Counter and Counter alone stops too so some Marth players just don't think about all their options and how flexible the character is in dealing with situations thanks to his moveset.

Making it a lot better could very well greatly lower the threshold by which shields have to be hurt before Shield Breaker becomes a huge momentum swing move, doubly so if everything is generally more safe on block so Marth suffers less disadvantage. If it's powerful enough, and it very well could be since this is the first time Sakurai has said anything is "much more powerful", it could actually outright break shields relibly after any good series of shield pressure from Marth which is not exactly something Marth will struggle to put together for so many different reasons. It's true we don't know the context of Marth's other changes, and maybe this is just his saving grace on top of otherwise being nerfed to the ground, but I would be downright terrified of a large Shield Breaker buff just thrown on top of Brawl Marth so I use that for context. I can't just view this as a fluff buff to a bad move; this is substance on one of the best characters in both games he's been in.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I just woke up and realized I hadn't seen the daily pic yet, so I got curious and came over. Didn't know there was a delay or anything. You poor guys. D:

If you're having Smash problems, I feel bad for you son. :<

I've got 99 problems, but P:M ain't one. ¦D

*happily continues enjoying P:M 3.0*

And as always yes. That was bad.

No, I'm not sorry. ¦3

You guys with your silly expectations :D

So.... What does he mean by, "stronger"? Damage wise or shield damage wise?

Okay, I as a player have a long running bad habit of letting my shield run down; I generally figure that it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't break. I've run into a very few Marth players who were smart enough to realize that if I let my shield get kinda low that they could just throw out a spaced Shield Breaker in a situation I'd have to block and, even though they were putting themselves at frame disadvantage, in reality they were gaining tons of offensive momentum as I then couldn't block anything safely for a while, especially given how easily Marth shieldstabs anyway. This is with how the move works in Brawl as it stands. A lot of Marths never realized they could do this, but as lot of Marths also literally never use Counter and let me get away with stuff that Counter and Counter alone stops too so some Marth players just don't think about all their options and how flexible the character is in dealing with situations thanks to his moveset.

Making it a lot better could very well greatly lower the threshold by which shields have to be hurt before Shield Breaker becomes a huge momentum swing move, doubly so if everything is generally more safe on block so Marth suffers less disadvantage. If it's powerful enough, and it very well could be since this is the first time Sakurai has said anything is "much more powerful", it could actually outright break shields relibly after any good series of shield pressure from Marth which is not exactly something Marth will struggle to put together for so many different reasons. It's true we don't know the context of Marth's other changes, and maybe this is just his saving grace on top of otherwise being nerfed to the ground, but I would be downright terrified of a large Shield Breaker buff just thrown on top of Brawl Marth so I use that for context. I can't just view this as a fluff buff to a bad move; this is substance on one of the best characters in both games he's been in.
As a Marth main I feel that you are absolutely right. There are very few players who attempt to use shield breaker. With a few reads it is so easy to put your opponent into a position where the opponent could suffer shield damage and/or be forced into a position where they have to either take the hit or force a spot dodge (like being above platform on battlefield) . He'll there are so many useful tools he has; spaced short hop fair to jab works great on people who try to bait short hops, the first hit of Nair gets you a free grab, tilt or aerial combo, and counter is just amazing.

I'm very happy they are improving shield breaker and I'm not too worried about a Nerf. Martha is like the Chun-Li of Smash, his design is very consistent and fast, as well as being a character that reflects the players skill. Even in Brawl his range was reduced and he functioned just as well as he did in Melee for the most part.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So characters have dizzy stars instead of flashing red and sparking. I wonder if the red flashing is still in but not shown to make a nicer picture.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Sakurai commented on the photo with " There weren't a lot of people who used the Shield Breaker to break people's shields, so we've now made it much more powerful "

There are two ways to interpret this,
1. Shield Breaker now breaks shields at a lower charge
2. Since everyone sucks at using shield breaker's shield breaking ability, we boosted the amount of damage that it does so that people will use it more.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Sakurai commented on the photo with " There weren't a lot of people who used the Shield Breaker to break people's shields, so we've now made it much more powerful "

There are two ways to interpret this,
1. Shield Breaker now breaks shields at a lower charge
2. Since everyone sucks at using shield breaker's shield breaking ability, we boosted the amount of damage that it does so that people will use it more.
I think it's the second.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think it's both. When you think about it your foe isn't gonna sit their holding their shield while you charge the attack. At least Ike's and Roy's had near one hit KO potential and could be useful against recovering foes (highly situational though.).

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
Wow. Haven't seen the Pikmin 3 stage in a while...

I just woke up, and I had a dream where Raiden from MGS and Diddy Kong were revealed on an early morning Nintendo Direct...

Edit: Wait a sec. Marth buffs? Yeah, because he totally needed them.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Your hype was delicious. :troll:

So, we buffed Marth. Yay. I'm hoping this means I can actually do some damage now with it, since I suck at Marth.

Your hype was delicious. :troll:

So, we buffed Marth. Yay. I'm hoping this means I can actually do some damage now with it, since I suck at Marth.
You need to improve your playing, spacing, mind games, tech skill etc. Marth is an honest character , so what you can do with him is ultimately up to you.

I would definitely recommend working on your spacing particularly for Marth .

D

Deleted member

It's been way to long since a character reveal.

I'm thinking 3 scenarios:

-Since the recent release date of Tropical Freeze + Cranky they will reveal Diddy, Dixie, or King K Rool.

-They might wait till Friday when the Pokebank opens up and reveal Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, or maybe Lucario if he hasn't been cut.

-It will be an extremely random charterer no one saw coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom