• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My main problem in playing most Fire Emblem/pretty much any game ever is that I horde the crap out of all limited-time/too-good-to-use items.

Playing Robin without tomes/the Levin Sword is going to be about as much fun as going SOlimar/SoPo in serious matches.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Bronze sword means lower knockback, means easier combos, mean's overpowered.
That aerial looks like Marth's back air. Which is a pretty good aerial. If it's a forward air, that would be SICK AS **** YOU HAVE NO IDEA (YES YES YES YESY ESYES).
But if it is still a back air, that's cool.

Looks like every special brings out the four available tomes (fire, thunder, wind and dark?), and we don't know if they effect tilts or anything else?
The whole THUNDER, EL THUNDER, ARC THUNDER has me speculating there is are semi 3 types of "flick" available in each special to vary the strength of the spell? Or that each calling of his specials will give you a random of the three? Super Peach Turnip Syndrome?

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
That aerial looks like Marth's back air. Which is a pretty good aerial. If it's a forward air, that would be SICK AS **** YOU HAVE NO IDEA (YES YES YES YESY ESYES).
Bronze swords being overpowered. Now that I did not ever think I'd hear.

Malion

Smash Ace

Looks like every special brings out the four available tomes (fire, thunder, wind and dark?), and we don't know if they effect tilts or anything else?
The whole THUNDER, EL THUNDER, ARC THUNDER has me speculating there is are semi 3 types of "flick" available in each special to vary the strength of the spell? Or that each calling of his specials will give you a random of the three? Super Peach Turnip Syndrome?
Don't forget Thoron. That's the most powerful of the thunder tomes.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm glad we got clarification on both of the newcomers straight off the bat, and with so thorough info as well. I do wonder what the rest of the week has in store for us.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

I didn't think about that... combo with the bronze sword, then the levin respawbs and kill.

Also, I think that the thunder tome is chargeable, and thoron is the highest charge.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Pic of the day. The Levin sword and tomes are Robin's life lines. The Levin sword can be activated by using smash attacks--you can even activate these moves in midair! However, just like in the original game, the Levin sword can be used only a limited number of times before it breaks, at which point it takes some time to regenerate. When the Levin sword is unavailable, Robin fights using the bronze sword.

Second caption:
The way Robin launches Arcfire is kind of crazy—he or she calls down a bolt of flame from above, then launches a pillar of fire! By the way, Robin’s tome changes with each special attack.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYn9W-xLGQ

UM, QUESTION!

IF THE CSTICK IS USED IN THE AIR, DOES IT AUTOMATICALLY PERFORM THE "SMASH ATTACK AERIAL?"

That would mess with my playstyle for sure. I typically always use the C-Stick for aerials.

Malion

Smash Ace
I can't imagine traditional smash attacks being used for aerials... the charging time + falling time would probably always mean faliure.

Surely it's just a mix-up or he doesn't mean what we assume he means.

Hong

The Strongest
UM, QUESTION!

IF THE CSTICK IS USED IN THE AIR, DOES IT AUTOMATICALLY PERFORM THE "SMASH ATTACK AERIAL?"

That would mess with my playstyle for sure. I typically always use the C-Stick for aerials.
Maybe.

Maybe the aerial attacks that use the Levin Sword always use the Levin Sword while it's available.
Maybe we will have to use smash, or yes, c-stick inputs, to pull them out.

Playing Robin is going to change a lot of our habits no matter what.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
If people are right about what the quote means, it's probably an aerial smash attack, as opposed to a normal aerial.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think of it like Samus being able to use both homing/regular Missiles and Smash/Super Missiles in the air.

Lightly tilting will probably allow for Bronze Sword aerials while full on Smash-tilts will result in activating the Levin Sword.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Maybe.

Maybe the aerial attacks that use the Levin Sword always use the Levin Sword while it's available.
Maybe we will have to use smash, or yes, c-stick inputs, to pull them out.

Playing Robin is going to change a lot of our habits no matter what.
I don't think that's right. Since he said "activated" I'm guessing the moves are identical, but Smashing/not smashing your aerials decides between the Bronze sword and Levin sword. I think he'd give the player the choice.

Wouldn't you hate accidentally smashing and wasting a use of the more powerful version of your aerial?

I wish the veterans had passives like this. All the new characters have some cool mechanic to them.

...Except Lucina. :p

I think of it like Samus being able to use both homing/regular Missiles and Smash/Super Missiles in the air.

Lightly tilting will probably allow for Bronze Sword aerials while full on Smash-tilts will result in activating the Levin Sword.
Exactly.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I don't think that's right. Since he said "activated" I'm guessing the moves are identical, but Smashing/not smashing your aerials decides between the Bronze sword and Levin sword. I think he'd give the player the choice.

Wouldn't you hate accidentally smashing and wasting a use of the more powerful version of your aerial?
Yeah. I would. That's why I was worried about not being able to manually discard it. If I'm not forced to use it for my normals, that'd be great.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
....You know, looking at this now, wouldn't this TECHNICALLY make Robin sort of a stance character? Since he really does sound the part with all this.
You could say that the Robins are an ammo character+ stance character+ self buffing character with some other unorthodox elements.

...or you could just say the Robins are their own unique character and not confine them to your labels, man.

Robin doesn't sound very viable, IMO.
From what we're seen so far I could see people claiming both that the Robins won't be viable and that they will be overpowered. Both would be making incredibly wild and reaching assumptions.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Bronze swords being overpowered. Now that I did not ever think I'd hear.
It's pretty OP on your Jeigans so you can actually get experience on your lowly scrubby **** characters in hard modes. They also always come with silver weapons which must be sorely unused and then stored at the bottom of your merchant van/item box thingy to never see the light of day again.
Also literally OP because in games which are ranked, the use of cheaper weapons helps your money score.
If you want to win Fire Emblem, you cherish the bronze sword (well; usually iron sword).

Sakurai understands the competitive nature of Fire Emblem by transferring overall tactical decision to character design. He'll correspond by letting you know that the Levin Sword is going to be nice to bop someone on the rare occasion (like the last hit of the final boss when you've run through 3 of your bronze weapons in the final chapter and know your gold rating is SEIFU), but the good ol fashioned Bronze Sword is going to keep your score (tournament placings) up high by probably being the same range, no crappy electric mechanics that have weird SDI or shield properties, and are potentially strong combo fodder at any (or medium-high) percent! However, electric attacks may be actually really good, it depends on if it's considered projectile (if Robin shares the same hitlag, it'll be bad for him).

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If I had to guess, tomes regenerate with time like the Levin Sword, but it's probably a really slow regen timer. In general it looks like this character just pours on crazy hitboxes, but if you get spammy, you run out of stuff. That makes it a bit hard to see how Robin will fight effectively; these big spell effects and such will be less useful in a close range super aggressive fight, but in a zoning style match, you're a lot more likely to run out of resources. If the resource pool is so deep you can fairly easily keep stocked in a drawn out fight or if you can reliably land the huge damage moves using the non-resource moves (like jabs) as openers, this character could be crazy strong. Otherwise, it seems like Robin will be very difficult to balance and if done wrong more likely to end up bad than good. I certainly don't think fighting with the Bronze Sword will be an advantage; if hitting way weaker than you might otherwise were good, Samus would be top tier in Brawl.

As per Levin Sword vs Bronze Sword, I'd guess smash attacks and certain aerials try to use the Levin Sword and use the Bronze Sword if you're out of charge. A stance toggle doesn't really make sense given that it's not obvious how you'd put it away or draw it, and while smash/tilt aerials could be used, it would probably make more sense for just particular aerials to be sword aerials and others not to be (I bet nair is resource free, for instance). It's simpler and cleaner, and it demands way less technical execution from players that way. We'll have to see, and as yet another super complicated newcomer, Robin will need a lot of exploration.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Why are people discussing the viability of characters that weve never seen actual gameplay of lol.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
It's pretty OP on your Jeigans so you can actually get experience on your lowly scrubby **** characters in hard modes. They also always come with silver weapons which must be sorely unused and then stored at the bottom of your merchant van/item box thingy to never see the light of day again.
Also literally OP because in games which are ranked, the use of cheaper weapons helps your money score.
If you want to win Fire Emblem, you cherish the bronze sword (well; usually iron sword).

Sakurai understands the competitive nature of Fire Emblem by transferring overall tactical decision to character design. He'll correspond by letting you know that the Levin Sword is going to be nice to bop someone on the rare occasion (like the last hit of the final boss when you've run through 3 of your bronze weapons in the final chapter and know your gold rating is SEIFU), but the good ol fashioned Bronze Sword is going to keep your score (tournament placings) up high by probably being the same range, no crappy electric mechanics that have weird SDI or shield properties, and are potentially strong combo fodder at any (or medium-high) percent! However, electric attacks may be actually really good, it depends on if it's considered projectile (if Robin shares the same hitlag, it'll be bad for him).
Yeah, I know how FE works. And in FE7 and FE8 everyone used iron all the way through.

But awakening makes it so that you really don't have to worry about this being an issue. Also, bronze weapons suck on higher difficulties anyways. Really, bronze sucks overall.

I mean, okay, the first levels of lunatic will depend on Frederick having that bronze sword, but it gets so hard to due proper damage with bronze weapons late game.

Eh, I'm tired. Sorry.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Robin is a truly a difficult character to dissect... Perfect to take a crack at.

Starting with specials, lightning spells seem to be the neutral. I'm assuming that you have a sort of charge meter (without a visible meter of course) in which, when you have a full meter, you perform Arcthunder, after which your meter empties and any subsequent use will be a measly Thunder. For as long as you don't use the attack, the meter will charge back up, with Elthunder being the attack used at half charge. Think of it like the Wario Waft, except with an extremely shorter charge time, presumably. Thoron would be a regular charge attack you would perform by holding the button, and can be done at any time. What I'm unsure of is how the book gets used up, though I assume it just happens if you spam the attack too much, which would leave you without the use of the attack at all with a slightly lengthened time until the meter charges back up and the book returns. Though that's just a guess.

Fire would be the side special with the same mechanic, Arcfire at full charge, Elfire at half, regular Fire at low, spamming loses the book, and you can charge it for the strongest fire attack (I'm not sure what fire spell would be the equivalent of Thoron in Awakening).

The recovery is where things get really tricky, would they actually make a recovery move be limited like this? I believe so, considering the footage in the trailer, and I've got just the idea of how this might work. It's unclear if he goes into a helpless animation as he does go off-screen, but from how it appeared to be used twice in quick succession, I believe this to be a multi-use recovery. Of course the charging mechanic stops this from being the most OP recovery in history, as when you have no book, you would likely end up in an instant helpless fall with no boost whatsoever. That would make this a move you wouldn't want to use just for attacking, rather you would want to keep a full charge so you can Arcwind > Elwind > and Wind back to the stage. You would presumably be able to charge it as well, resulting in a super high boost, but it would leave you helpless as opposed to using it regularly.

Nosferatu appears to be the odd sheep, though that's common of down specials. As Nosferatu doesn't really have any lower forms in Awakening, it'll probably be just a single kind of attack with a single function and no separate charge levels, though spamming it would still make you lose the book. As Nosferatu is a life leaching attack, which appears to be faithfully recreated here, it's a bit of a different take on Ness and Lucas' Magnet, in that you likely have to 'trap' the enemy as you would need to do for a counter, rather than absorbing any projectiles. Of course, it's unclear just how much this damages/heals at this point.

The swords are also quite confusing, some are saying that the regular combo/tilts use the bronze sword, while the Levin sword is used for smash attacks, so I'll just go with that since I have nothing better. The confusing part is the apparent aerial smash attacks, which as mentioned before will likely function as Samus' missiles/super missiles, though I would assume that the right stick will still function as a quick smash (that'll really mess with me as well...) The Levin sword would also disappear if you spam smashes too much, but would appear after a set amount of time. That's all I can gather so far.

Of course the easiest part of his moveset to analyze is his final smash which was blatantly spelled out in the video. He just summons Chrom in his swimsuit to knock out everyone else (for various different reasons). :troll:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Bahaha xD I love how we've only had what, two pictures with Palutena in them since her reveal? One of them was quite recent while her reveal wasn't and the other was focused on HRC. On the other hand, Lucina and Robin get pictures immediately and it explains them quite well.

Not sure how big a fan I am of all of this breakable stuff Robin has. You can't be like Falco or Mega Man spamming projectiles as much as you please and you can't whiff your smashes and possibly certain aerials too much or the Levin Sword breaks and then Robin will have a harder time koing until his stuff comes back. I could easily see matches with Robin ending because of time if the smart thing to do is wait until you get your stuff back.

Aogami

Smash Cadet
I think people are getting to confused here, the Levin sword is a magic blade which conjures lightning so what when Sakurai says "activate" he means using these lightning attacks when using a smash attack it brings down thunder similar to Pikachu's thunder since that's how it appeared in Fire Emblem Awakening and while in the air it'll cast a smaller lightning attack not perform a smash attack.

When the Levin sword breaks it'll just perform the attacks without the lighting affect with the bronze sword.

Sil

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1032-1490-1609
I think people are getting to confused here, the Levin sword is a magic blade which conjures lightning so what when Sakurai says "activate" he means using these lightning attacks when using a smash attack it brings down thunder similar to Pikachu's thunder since that's how it appeared in Fire Emblem Awakening and while in the air it'll cast a smaller lightning attack not perform a smash attack.

When the Levin sword breaks it'll just perform the attacks without the lighting affect with the bronze sword.
I don't think so, we see him attack using the Leven sword twice in the trailer and neither of those times did he bring down thunder

...And considering how hard it seems to hit during the second use, bringing down thunder would just be downright ridiculous.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
This does make Robin's situation interesting. His attacks will probably be powerful, but utilizing and not wasting attacks is probably going to be more vital to play him well. If you simply spam his magic or smash attacks heavily without a thought he may be left very weak during the recovery time. It sort of depnds how many times the levin sword and tomes can be used before they break and how long it takes for them to recovery.

I must say that's a very different character type.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Due to his best moves being possible to use up, I would hope they have nice damage output and knockback to compensate. I feel like Robin is another new character that will take some hands on experience to really understand, and even longer to determine if Robin is viable (unless Robin ends up being really obviously bad).

I do wonder if stronger spells will deplete the tome more quickly though, as in Fire Emblem, the stronger the spell/weapon, the less uses you get of it.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Judging by the pic of the day, do y'all think tomes are ACTUALLY limited, or will they become usable again after a certain time like the sword? Sakurai said Robin uses a different tome every time he/she uses a special attack., so maybe it's limited in a sense that each time you use a special, you use a different tome.

Aogami

Smash Cadet
I don't think so, we see him attack using the Leven sword twice in the trailer and neither of those times did he bring down thunder

...And considering how hard it seems to hit during the second use, bringing down thunder would just be downright ridiculous.
I meant that he would cause that with a fully charged smash of course not with every single attack that would be as you said ridiculous so he wouldn't be able to do it air and as I said before it uses a weak lightning attack which coats the blade rather than conjuring from the sky like thunder and we don't know if the smash attack he did in the video was fully charged or not.

Plus it's not like we haven't seen similar cases with other characters what with Megaman with his side smash and Palutena with her up smash.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Y'all are confusing the Levin sword bit there, aren't ya? Here's the deal:

Robin will start using the Levin Sword after Smash attack, meaning it will become a part of his moveset. However, like in Fire Emblem, the sword will break after multiple uses, resulting in Robin using the Bronze Sword. I'm assuming the sword and the tomes will have a similar recharge mechanic to ROB's neutral and up specials, meaning they'll recharge over time without much agency from the player.

The fact that you can activate the sword in midair is definitely something unique to Robin. By smashing the stick in midair as opposed to tilting it, you can use the Levin Sword in midair.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
You already know Fire Emblem fanatics are going to main Robin in bronze sword mode before the tomes.

Find ways to make it the most op mode, maybe even scarier than the tomes itself.

Unless it gets nerfed hard like Fox's u-smash.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
You could say that the Robins are an ammo character+ stance character+ self buffing character with some other unorthodox elements.

...or you could just say the Robins are their own unique character and not confine them to your labels, man.
Uh, fighting game character archetypes? :p
I'm not questioning their uniqueness, though. They really are something we've never had in Smash before.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Each update continues to confirm that Robin is such a badass

I officially feel terrible for ever having had hesitations about more Fire Emblem reps

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I sort of hope to see Chrom soon in one of the upcoming pictures, not to get "confirmation" or anything, as it's pretty obvious what he is, but to see what Sakurai has to say about him. That might turn the knife in the wound for some though. And then maybe a pic with Captain Falcon and then the trailer should be covered. And that would actually just about do it for this week haha.

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
From what i gather :
Thunder seems to be his neutral b as he has a charging animation of some sort with electricity.
In addition It seems you can store the charge.
Notice how Robin's book is teeming with electricity but after Thoron the electricity is gone.

Also for those who didn't notice
Jab combo seems to change with each tome.

(second one seems to start from the second hit.)

Also, Lucina seems to have really short landing lag on her neutral Air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ytrX0wweA#t=119
Hope this was informative! :D

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
From what i gather :
Thunder seems to be his neutral b as he has a charging animation of some sort with electricity.
That being said, it seems as though hiting A + B would cause the Levin Sword to appear. That seems most logical.

Also for those who didn't notice
Jab combo seems to change with each tome.

(second one seems to start from the second hit.)
I think a recent scan (don't remember which magazine though) has pretty much confirmed that thunder is neutral, arcfire is side, elwind is up and nosferatu is down. Also, Sakurai himself has stated that air attacks and smash attacks trigger the levin sword.
I dunno what's up with the jabs though. Maybe they are different depending on which tome was used last?

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
I think a recent scan (don't remember which magazine though) has pretty much confirmed that thunder is neutral, arcfire is side, elwind is up and nosferatu is down. Also, Sakurai himself has stated that air attacks and smash attacks trigger the levin sword.
I dunno what's up with the jabs though. Maybe they are different depending on which tome was used last?
lol my b. just checked Miiverse. Removed the A+B statement. Also, Yep. You keep the tome that was used last in your hand. So that seems to be the case.

Edit : Found the Scans

Link for translations.
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...-drain-health-super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom