• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I love unlocking things. It makes playing the game more fun. There's nothing more satisfying using a character you worked for, rather than simply selecting them.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'd rather they let Luigi be starter this time... people complained that most of the unlockable characters in Brawl were veterans... when most of the unlockable characters in Melee were newcomers.
Semi-Clones are typically unlockables, FYI.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I really don't see why 'unlockable characters' would be a 'thing in the past' just because some other Fighting games doesn't have them. Makes those fighting games very un-special, imo. Saying unlockable characters ruins the game is like saying 'not being able to play the Final World first in Mario is not fair!'. So, yeah, unlockable characters will still be here. ^^

But on topic. Pic should show up any second. Or with my luck, right Before I posted this.

DragonRob20

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who thinks unlockable characters are an archaic design choice? I think we should just have the full roster from the get-go...
I actually agree with you. Seems every new fighter now is taking that page of "HAVE EVERYBODY FROM THE START!"

Super Street Fighter did it, MVC3, Tekken tag Tourny 2, Injustice, ect. Smash is somewhat leaning towards that too with some of its character reveals like Luigi, Toon Link and Marth

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, it's a proven fact (well, maybe not fact) that people get more enjoyment out of things they work for, or things they've accomplished. So unlockable characters do make people happy in that sense.

I, myself enjoy them. But I could easily see why they could be omitted.

edit: But why are we talking about unlockable characters here?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Because characters don't have unique stats, there is just light, medium and heavy weight. They are essentially just reskins of every other character...
They have stat bonuses. I MK Wii characters would have stuff like a bonus in handling or a bonus in drifting that would be different to other characters. Before they would even have unique karts.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman

Pic of the day. So far, which attack can blast away enemies the most dynamically… Is it King Dedede's fully charged Jet Hammer? Nah, it can't beat the K.O. uppercut. You can damage yourself by overcharging this attack, so watch out.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
K.O uppercut is stronger than Dedede's Jet Hammer. Pretty boring picture. Luckily, Naruto is out so I have something else to look forward too. Wednesday's rock.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The phrasing is so awkward....

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I love unlocking things. It makes playing the game more fun. There's nothing more satisfying using a character you worked for, rather than simply selecting them.
Agreed, I would much rather have some of the roster locked at first, because I always feel so accomplished every time I unlock a new character that I wanted to play. Having every fighter unlocked at the start makes me feel a bit like... I have nothing forward to, you know? That's one thing I feel modern fighting games have really lost touch with - having characters added on by dlc and expansions feels too corporate and unnatural.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think I need help. I looked at the pic for about a minute before realising it was a new PotD.

Last edited:

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
What nutritional supplements does it take to be able to punch harder than a rocket hammer's impact?

In b4 chocolate.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
Yep, meh picture. Jet Hammer was always Dedede's worst special.

K.O uppercut is stronger than Dedede's Jet Hammer. Pretty boring picture. Luckily, Naruto is out so I have something else to look forward too. Wednesday's rock.
Lookin' forward to One Piece? :p

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Boring pic indeed,
I think he just means a fully charged one of those is the 2nd strongest move in the game, after that KO uppercut thing. I'm still not interested in it really.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Ness and Jigglypuff aren't clones... I thought we were talking about clones...
Jigglypuff was a semi-clone in 64.

Lucas is technically a clone of Ness, but Lucas was kept as a starter in favor of giving Ness his unlockablility status back. Either way, one of them was unlockable while the other was not.

I don't wanna go even more off-topic here.

Pic was lame. I'm going to bed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nothing to see here... King Dedede's Down+B didn't get nerfed... Sakurai just said that Little Mac's neutral B move is stronger than King Dedede's Down+B...

gamer8

Smash Lord
We already pretty much saw this with Dedede's release pictures... Oh well. Hopefully something exciting at the end of this week. When is that Yoshi game coming out?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom