• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Here's the weekly result with recent PotDs.

PotDs left (if always available until released in Japan): 20
Weeks left: 4
Long overdue: New alternate outfit
Missing Final Smashes: 6
Required stages reveal: 2 (for repped series that have no stages, not even returning stages)
New disconfirmations left: 5 (apparently about 1 every week)
New information, alt outfits, moves, items, and complete fillers left allowed: 7

--this week--
August 15 – (-01:57) – NEW INFO: Pack your favorite Smash Run power-ups in a "lunch box" :troll:
August 14 – Mega Man (-01:55) – NEW MOVE: Megaman's custom movesets
August 13 – Meta Knight (+01:00) – NEW CHARACTER: Meta Knight
August 12 – Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Pac-Man (-01:54) – NEW INFO: S-Flag, if hold long enough, gives you bonus.
August 11 – Mii Fighter (-01:54) – FILLER: Cosplays
--last week--
August 8 – King Dedede, Kirby (-00:43) – NEW STAGE: Game Boy stage for 3DS
August 7 – (-01:06) – NEW INFO/INDIRECT NEW DISCONF: Trophy Shop / Dr. Wily and Oikonny as trophy
August 6 – (-00:42) – NEW INFO: Victini and Xerneas are support Pokemon
August 5 – Pit (+00:06) – NEW ITEM: Daybreak
August 4 – (-00:34) – NEW DISCONF: Prince of Sable as assist/reg trophy
--2 weeks ago--
August 1 – (-00:51) – NEW INFO: Target Blast
July 31 – (+00:14) – NEW STAGE: Pokemon stage for 3DS
July 30 – DK, Villager (-00:42) – PREV ITEM: Boss Galaga
July 29 – Wii Fit Trainer, Mario, Luigi (-00:43) – NEW STAGE: Paper Mario stage
July 28 – Link (-00:41) – NEW DISCONF: Takamaru as Assist Trophy
--3 weeks ago--
July 25 – (-00:54) – NEW INFO: 3DS menu
July 24 – Rosetta, Yoshi, Lucina, Zelda (-00:37) – NEW INFO: Various Tomodachi stage elements
July 23 – (-00:42) – NEW INFO: Dr. Wily stage for Wii U now also for 3DS with daylight changes.
July 22 – (-00:49) – NEW STAGE: Star Fox stage for Wii U
July 21 – Robin (-00:53) – PREV MOVE: Robin's Nosferatu
--4 weeks ago--
July 18 – Little Mac (-00:49) – FILLER: Screen K.O.
July 17 – Peach (-00:51) – FILLER: Cats in living room
July 16 – (+00:41) – NEW MOVE: Levin sword and tomes
July 15 – Marth (-00:15) – NEW INFO: Lucina is Marth clone with minor differences
July 14 – (-00:55) – NEW DISCONF: Rayman as trophy
--5 weeks ago--
July 11 – (+00:00) – NEW MOVE: Taunts
July 10 – Samus (+00:11) – NEW ALT: Samustrooper, 'Murica Mario
July 9 – (-00:30) – NEW INFO:
July 8 – Palutena, Diddy (+00:16) – NEW MOVE: Palutena up smash
July 7 – (-00:53) – NEW MOVE: Mii Fighter forward smash
--6 weeks ago--
July 4 – (-00:52) – NEW INFO: Pac-Maze stage elements
July 3 – (+00:00) – FILLER: Megaman FS HD details
July 2 – (+00:06) – NEW ALT: Rosetta's alt color, Tuxedo Mii
July 1 – (+00:08) – NEW ALT: Little Mac's pink sweater
June 30 – Olimar (+00:07) – NEW DISCONF: Poppant, bonus characters in Smash Run
--7 weeks ago--
June 26 – (-00:57) – NEW INFO: Mii Fighter height=stats differences
June 25 – (-00:57) – NEW DISCONF: Nabbit as stage hazard
June 25 – (-00:08) – FILLER: Balloon Fight
June 24 – (-00:16) – NEW ALT: Link's skyward sword texture
June 23 – (-01:01) – FILLER: There's always someone bigger
--long forgotten characters--
June 20 – Sheik
June 13 – Sonic
June 6 – Ike
May 21 – Greninja, Bowser
May 15 – ZSS
May 13 – Charizard
April 30 – Toon Link
March 27 – Fox
February 11 – Lucario
Do you always keep tabs on that stuff every time? o.o

Also, neat PotD. Wasn't much, but it was still something. Definitely a very good week overall. I'm looking forward to next week. <3

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Do you always keep tabs on that stuff every time? o.o

Also, neat PotD. Wasn't much, but it was still something. Definitely a very good week overall. I'm looking forward to next week. <3
Not only he does keep track of it every Friday, but you'll be surprised what he also keep track like dates with a huge timeline.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
It's not even the issue it had.

It's overcentralisation. Most of the repping and contents was based on the needs of SSE to fir better in SSE for the good of SSE.

That created weird priorities and the broadness of the general repping wasn't constent and there was several issues with it.

Basically, there was so much effort put into this that the rest of the game had apparent lack of effort put into them. Some evidences even suggest that is was so badly implemented that it could explain dual layers disc, longer loading times and wasting dev time as one of the cause that some contents would have been cut.

It's not because of the mode itself, but how overcentralised it was in its implementation to go as far as hurting the rest of the game in a bad way.
So the main issue with SSE is that it got more attention then it should have? Too much time put into it that made the rest of the game look bland? Am I following you correctly on that?

If so, Smash Run could end up being looked at the same way. People could get sick of it, say too much time was put into it and that it could have been replaced with things to make the rest of the game better. Doesn't help that Smash Run is on the 'inferior' version (not saying that I think it's inferior but that the majority of people seem to. Could be wrong on that too though).

Also my apologies if I misunderstood you. If I did, this entire post is essentially meaningless :p

Sil

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1032-1490-1609
C'mon Ganondorf!

Oh... it already updated?

Oh... okay...

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
How many times has Sakurai posted this early this week? Like 2 or 3? This week was pretty sweet in terms of posts and timing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How many times has Sakurai posted this early this week? Like 2 or 3? This week was pretty sweet in terms of posts and timing.
Every day except Wednesday's. He did reveal Meta Knight, and did some major site updates, which is why it took so long. Also, that day was a holiday in Japan, so he probably was busy.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Ah, one last message for the night, we got 4 pics this week an hour early and the only pic that came 2 hours late was stalled because the site got updates on modes and stuff, too. So it just took him a little extra time to finish up everything.

Do you guys think we'll get another week of early pics next week? Or was this a one time thing in your eyes?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So the main issue with SSE is that it got more attention then it should have? Too much time put into it that made the rest of the game look bland? Am I following you correctly on that?

If so, Smash Run could end up being looked at the same way. People could get sick of it, say too much time was put into it and that it could have been replaced with things to make the rest of the game better. Doesn't help that Smash Run is on the 'inferior' version (not saying that I think it's inferior but that the majority of people seem to. Could be wrong on that too though).

Also my apologies if I misunderstood you. If I did, this entire post is essentially meaningless :p
Ok, you indeed misunderstood.

I noticed weird repping issues with brawl. That became quite apparent when I did realised that one of those issues was the whole Paper Mario series especially in first 2 games one.

Take Ridley, why it acts like dyna blade? It doesn't make sense that a metroid boss acts like a kirby one. When you think about it, it only makes sense in SSE context because SSE is essentially like kirby. So, in this case, to not be too apparent of being too kirby and more general for smash, they would need a substitute.

Or the M&L music, it;s not really a good music from the series standard (I could come with at least 3 or 4 instances and I only played one game that btw, I had a mixed review on it). If it's not enough, no lower norfair and yes to the mp2 multiplayer battle...I didn't undertsand this one.

There;s other stuff like Mother getting 2 playable rep, but a noticeably low amount of trophies. Seeing mewtwo cut while he was about to be finished at one point is really suspicious considering those issues (the same would have been for roy I guess).

I had a personal theory for a while that it would be because of overcentralising SSE and as crazy as it might sounds, I'm convinced I was right now.

He deconfirmed SSE and confirmed a solo mode. This mode seems to just in itself have a big improvement in repping because in SSE, it was a very big majority of original enemies or Sakurai related while here, it;s a big minority. I see issues getting fixed and the repping getting a crazy lot more broad. It;s so broad that I don't even know where it would stop and his teasing sounds scary in repping broadness.

I had big anticipations because of this since maybe the last direct, but July 29 was the final proof I needed: the repping is getting broad in a crazy way and that's why I expect some mind blown like prince sable as assist. I see improvements everywhere and I can't help, but think that removing SSE was more for the good then the bad.

When I see an evidence showing how much copy pasted code SSE had, I just find this quite fishy for a game like this.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Sakurai made a post at around 7am EST on july 11th announcing the new character trailer. Hoping for the same scenario later today.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Except that they are different, similar sure but still different. I would imagine City Trial was played around the same amount if not more than the main mode in Kirby Air Ride, not sure if Smash Run will be the same way.

Anyways, I can imagine that was partly a joke or that there was some humor behind that comment or something so I'll try not to reply with a super serious tone '-';
No I'm serious, City Trial is a lot of fun particularly if you have a few other people to play with. It's basically the only reason to ever play Air Ride. But if Smash Run is anywhere near as good as City Trial it will be a much better experience than Subspace.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180

I noticed weird repping issues with brawl. That became quite apparent when I did realised that one of those issues was the whole Paper Mario series especially in first 2 games one.

Take Ridley, why it acts like dyna blade? It doesn't make sense that a metroid boss acts like a kirby one. When you think about it, it only makes sense in SSE context because SSE is essentially like kirby. So, in this case, to not be too apparent of being too kirby and more general for smash, they would need a substitute.

Or the M&L music, it;s not really a good music from the series standard (I could come with at least 3 or 4 instances and I only played one game that btw, I had a mixed review on it). If it's not enough, no lower norfair and yes to the mp2 multiplayer battle...I didn't undertsand this one.

There;s other stuff like Mother getting 2 playable rep, but a noticeably low amount of trophies. Seeing mewtwo cut while he was about to be finished at one point is really suspicious considering those issues (the same would have been for roy I guess).

I had a personal theory for a while that it would be because of overcentralising SSE and as crazy as it might sounds, I'm convinced I was right now.

He deconfirmed SSE and confirmed a solo mode. This mode seems to just in itself have a big improvement in repping because in SSE, it was a very big majority of original enemies or Sakurai related while here, it;s a big minority. I see issues getting fixed and the repping getting a crazy lot more broad. It;s so broad that I don't even know where it would stop and his teasing sounds scary in repping broadness.

I had big anticipations because of this since maybe the last direct, but July 29 was the final proof I needed: the repping is getting broad in a crazy way and that's why I expect some mind blown like prince sable as assist. I see improvements everywhere and I can't help, but think that removing SSE was more for the good then the bad.

When I see an evidence showing how much copy pasted code SSE had, I just find this quite fishy for a game like this.
Well that wasn't what I was originally getting at but I see your point. Kirby related or not SSE was pretty much forgotten by most players after they played through it once aside from using it as a means of unlocking characters.

Smash Run is said to be like City Trial which is from another Kirby game but it doesn't play just like Kirby. There's also the somewhat irritating amount of KI:U content and KI:U similarities. I understand the reason for the content and similarities but it still bugs me. That being said, you are right. The repping is a lot better.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord

The biggest problem with SSE was that it took up too much dev time and they weren't willing to delay the game a second time. SSE ended up with several stages and important plot points cut from the game because they ran out of time. Brawl desperately needed more dev time for such a huge endeavor.

Also Plusle and Minun should be Smash 4's Gen 3 rep since they were originally planned for Brawl.

On-topic: Definitely looks like Uprising + Paper Mario. Especially since there's limited power slots and if you equate the "weight" value to Badge Points.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The biggest problem with SSE was that it took up too much dev time and they weren't willing to delay the game a second time. SSE ended up with several stages and important plot points cut from the game because they ran out of time. Brawl desperately needed more dev time for such a huge endeavor.

Also Plusle and Minun should be Smash 4's Gen 3 rep since they were originally planned for Brawl.

On-topic: Definitely looks like Uprising + Paper Mario. Especially since there's limited power slots and if you equate the "weight" value to Badge Points.
I've never played uprising so I have a question:

I tough it had no relation, but is there any mechanics in uprising that acts similarly to the badges in Paper Mario?

Because you're the second to say that it's uprising related, but if it's the case...

That would be interesting to know if there was a relation after all.

Also, copy pasting code in brawl didn't help for reading it which is why I found this fishy to be found in SSE.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
No I'm serious, City Trial is a lot of fun particularly if you have a few other people to play with. It's basically the only reason to ever play Air Ride. But if Smash Run is anywhere near as good as City Trial it will be a much better experience than Subspace.
I agree with what you said about City Trial. Never had people to play it with me but it was still a lot of fun. As for Smash Run, if it turns out to be as great or greater than City Trial then that's incredible. That means all of these potds talking about it and all the time put into showing it off at Directs and things like E3 weren't a waste.

However if it doesn't turn out that way then it could end up like SSE. I wasn't around on any site that talked about Brawl during the time it was being developed but I can imagine a good amount of the hype came from Nintendo talking about SSE. Heck, look at what pops up when you start up Brawl. You see cutscenes from SSE. They wanted that to hype people up. Now all of that time making it and talking about it is pretty much for nothing since no one really plays SSE or cares about it.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Sakurai made a post at around 7am EST on july 11th announcing the new character trailer. Hoping for the same scenario later today.
He can announce whenever he wanted with his own game though. More like 3-4 days ahead.

While for E3 and Nintendo Direct he shouldn't announce first before Nintendo itself, and AFAIK Nintendo usually announce just a day beforehands.

It sucks...

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I've never played uprising so I have a question:

I tough it had no relation, but is there any mechanics in uprising that acts similarly to the badges in Paper Mario?

Because you're the second to say that it's uprising related, but if it's the case...

That would be interesting to know if there was a relation after all.

Also, copy pasting code in brawl didn't help for reading it which is why I found this fishy to be found in SSE.
Kid Icarus Uprising has a "Powers" system. You have a grid on which you equip Powers of various types. Different Powers come in different shapes, with stronger Powers being larger or more awkward, imposing limitations on how many powers you can equip and what kinds. There's a certain element of strategy in fitting the powers you want to use on the board, and deciding what power is best to grab to fill up the remaining space and how to fit that in too. Unlike badges in Paper Mario, some of which simply increase your stats, Powers are all activation based. Also unlike badge-bestowed abilities in Paper Mario, Kid Icarus Uprising doesn't use a "mana meter" system. Instead, each power can only be used a certain number of times, with higher-level powers either increasing the power's duration or abilities, or increasing the number of uses.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
I doubt I'll be spending much time on Smash Run, so anything related to it kinda bores me. It seems fun for about a few days, but playing only a 1 minute match (affected by various elements, like Giant Smash or whatever) after 5 minutes of aimlessly wandering around generic-ville with lots of random Nintendo enemies seems like it'll lose its luster pretty quickly.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator

I remember reading the article that the scenarist wrote going into further details about the story of SSE and it still appeared to be a bunch of contrived garbage, with some elements clearly borrowed (I would say almost stolen) from Kingdom Hearts.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Smash Bros. Miiverse. Pic of the day.

Nowhere do City Trial, Uprising, Paper Mario or the SSE fall into these (save for technically the SSE). No, Smash Run looking/being similar doesn't mean you shouldn't take the discussion to the appropriate topic, especially if your post has 60-90% to do with off-topic stuff, and only 10% to do with the above 3.

Moving on, I'll be saddened if Power Bombs will be relegated to just Smash Run powers. Really want a custom move swap option for Samus.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Off topic/Spam Warning Received
Kid Icarus Uprising has a "Powers" system. You have a grid on which you equip Powers of various types. Different Powers come in different shapes, with stronger Powers being larger or more awkward, imposing limitations on how many powers you can equip and what kinds. There's a certain element of strategy in fitting the powers you want to use on the board, and deciding what power is best to grab to fill up the remaining space and how to fit that in too. Unlike badges in Paper Mario, some of which simply increase your stats, Powers are all activation based. Also unlike badge-bestowed abilities in Paper Mario, Kid Icarus Uprising doesn't use a "mana meter" system. Instead, each power can only be used a certain number of times, with higher-level powers either increasing the power's duration or abilities, or increasing the number of uses.
The way you explained it sounds more of an interpretation of that system actually.

The badges do more than stats. Some do that, but others ADD commands that needs attack points (or fp) to use them every time and It's actually the most useful one. It's available as long as you equip the badge, but because of fp being a limit, you can use it depending on how much it takes and how much you have. Some has special effects like getting healed slowly, but gradually. Others improve commands for the whole time when it is used. Or on field stuff like more chances to drop heaths. For some, wearing the same badges multiple time amplify the effects of it.

What similarity I found to be surprising is that you do have to both change the setup for both system according to what is happening. The strategy sense seems to be based on the same thing to have a proper setup.

It seems that the core is the same while the badges has diversity in how they work while uprising is more constant to this question. The levels being high are exactly like putting the same badges multiple time. Like if I put 2 times a badge that adds a command to do a status effect for a fixed amount of turn, it will be longer than just wearing one while at the same time, it costs more bp.

I find this really curious because I wonder if there was inspiration from that. Tough, that is pure theory.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The PotD today definitely reminds me of Kid Icarus Uprising and its powers. I'm okay with this.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Okay, more stuff inspired from Uprising...

Can we get some Meta Knight info...? I want to know how broken/nerfed he is. :/

EDIT: I suppose my avatar sums up my reaction to today's pic quite well.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Amazing how an update can be so informative and yet so utterly uninteresting.
As with all Smash Run and general menu/trophy updates, I think it's because we're not actually trying/playing, and thus can't manipulate it ourselves.

I actually liked applying stickers in Brawl, but I recall thinking all the updates about on the Dojo were incredibly boring. Like, just the thought of a screenshot of someone basically collecting e-stamps is hard to get excited about.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Okay, more stuff inspired from Uprising...

Can we get some Meta Knight info...? I want to know how broken/nerfed he is. :/

EDIT: I suppose my avatar sums up my reaction to today's pic quite well.
I doubt they'd focus too much on how much Meta Knight is nerfed, usually they just talk about how much better characters have become because there's a certain negativity about saying "This character just got worse", even if it's justified as in MK's case. I think in this case no news are better than any news.

But yeah, meh pic of the day, but I got Meta Knight so it's been a fantastic week anyways.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't really care too much for Smash Run, apart from some of the returning enemy cameos (Kremlings!?), but I understand the new info considering that the 3DS version is coming out real soon.

I'm still hoping for that newcomer trailer this month.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I just want to fight people online! More info on online stuff please!

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So, around 20 Pics of the Day left, right? Or is it 19 now? Either way, just a few weeks left. Even when I do have the game, I will miss the Pics of the Day. Even when filler, they Always gave me something to look forward to when times were hard and/or slow. When the new Smash games is released, we will have to wait years and years until we'll see some Pics of the Day again. and while we will complain about fillers there to, we should all remember the good times waiting for pics and seeing surprising and wonderful things that will give us enjoyment for years to come in the new Super Smash Brothers games. Even Luigi's Nose have made some people happy. And that is all that matters.

Pic of The Day, you will be missed the second you stop.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Yeh, so it turned out to be a bummer of a PotD as I thought. As everyone says, there's nothing exciting about it. I'm not surprised though, considering we got Metaknight two days ago.

It'll probably pick up again next week.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think the PotD will stop as soon as the 3DS version comes out, Sakurai will probably post some more info regarding some Wii U exclusive stuff such as stages and whatnot and he might also start showing some of the unlockable content too.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I barely understood half of the information of the potd. But whatever, let's just hope we get some kind of especial announcement next week..

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I don't think the PotD will stop as soon as the 3DS version comes out, Sakurai will probably post some more info regarding some Wii U exclusive stuff such as stages and whatnot and he might also start showing some of the unlockable content too.
True, plus if we ever going to get a screenshot from 3DS it will be filler to some of us.

I barely understood half of the information of the potd. But whatever, let's just hope we get some kind of especial announcement next week..
It's kind of late for Nintendo to announce bi-monthly Nintendo Direct. I hope we'll still get one but it got to be before August 20 or it will be longest waiting ever.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Oh, I know. ^^ I mainly meant after both versions are out, and Sakurai stops eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom