• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: Game Thread. Game Over!

fontisian

Smash Champion
That's understandable I suppose, but it would be helpful to get them the open I think. If nothing else, could I get your current read on Somi?
I don't have a read on Somi at the moment. I am fine with him being the yeet, and will consider voting for him, mostly because some of my other townreads are scumreading him. I agree with the basic read that he isn't really doing anything, despite semi-frequent posts. I think the towniest thing they have done is say "There's no inconsistency" in response to Xivii, because that kind of flat "you are wrong" denial tends to come from town slightly more often then mafia. That is not a good enough reason to not yeet them.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Nope, I'm in "the fifth largest economy in the world" or whatever we are now, so-sunny-it'll-boil-you-and-burn-your-house-down California. XD
Man I have no idea what's real anymore, I've been mixing up reality with assumptions and dreams. This morning I woke up and checked smashboards and Fonti had posted a bunch of vacation photos from southeast Asia. But apparently that was a dream before my real awakening. And the other day I had a dream that Dark Pit and I played mafia together before and we were flying chipmunks.
Is voting extension actually a thing? Does it just extend the time?
For D1 yes since it's the 4th of July tomorrow.
I, a fontisian, do not believe in focusing on self-defense, but rather intend to show my towniness via my hunting and my logic. I could spend all ****ing day talking to Xivii about how ridiculous his idea of my scumplay is
It would actually really help me if you would. When you don't defend yourself, all I have is my own perspective to go on.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I'm working on the NSG, Jack and you stuff, Xivii. I'll answer three questions from you while I'm doing it, then I'm going to post those reads and go to sleep. Ask away.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
What about your scumplay do I have wrong?
Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about somi's #133 initially?
Why did you communicate your read to LaserGuy there?
What didn't you like about your Jack case and why post it if you didn't agree with it?

fontisian

Smash Champion
What about your scumplay do I have wrong?
Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about somi's #133 initially?
Why did you communicate your read to LaserGuy there?
What didn't you like about your Jack case and why post it if you didn't agree with it?
These are going to be quick responses, so there may be things I misremember.

1. I would not dunk on a partner d1, like you accused me of doing with Jack. Wins with the full team alive are vastly preferable to going to late game alone. I do distance, but I prefer more conversational style distancing than fullblown cases and fights, which are easy to see through in late game. I also just don't think I do what I did with reversing my read on Jack in general, expect explicitly to pocket people who know me. Like, I could see scum!me doing it as a play for towncred, but I'm also very aware of how poorly people can react to perceived inconsistency, so as scum with a group that does not know my townplay at all, I prefer to just be a consistent "scumhunting" force, pushing town towards fighting town. There's no need for fancy plays to fake inconsistency in a townie way, if that makes sense. I think the fairest thing you did was link me and somi, because getting a town to justify their townread on a partner and cement that read in their head is something I absolutely do as scum.

I could see mafia pushing each other a little as a smokescreen tactic and whoever survives longer might gain some town-cred after a flip. It's a risky strategy though, as you need to pull off a case that isn't convincing enough to get everyone on the wagon, but not so weak that you get scumread for it.
I don't remember anymore. Looking back, I don't like that quote. It's too removed, talking about what mafia theoretically do instead of talking about what Laser and NSG are doing in this game. Scummy because by not bringing up the names Somi avoids their attention (something I think uncertain scum do unconsciously), not town, because town tend to focus on the individual behavior in front of them and talk about it.

3. To bounce ideas. Everyone I talk to individually in this game is more likely town then not, so treating you as if you are town and trying to assist with reads and expand my own reads through yours is valuable. By expanding on those reads and pushing other people to justify their own, I assist in raising the bar for overall townplay, and expand my own knowledge basis for reads.

4. This is one more question than I offered to answer. I think, when I was first putting the idea together for the case on Jack, I had just read the post in here after looking at that Pokechu post and had a lightbulb moment, like "this is the same, I need to talk about this." As I progressed through the Pokechu post again, though, I found more discrepancies than I initially remembered and the read weakened. I decided to post it anyway, because an ok case is better than no case, the thread was stagnant and boring, and I'd still get to read Jack and the thread at large's reaction. Then I read the post Jack made just before I posted the case, felt like he was just town and this was stupid, and felt like his vote on Laser was worth supporting. I probably should have waited at that point, for the reactions, but I'm impatient at heart, so I jumped ship.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Now for #HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame

I've actually already given an NSG read, it's here:
Going back a bit, I think this is the kind of thing newbie!NonSpecificGuy says if he isn't scum, because as scum he would be painfully aware that he's supposed to be looking for the investigator roles and aware that he shouldn't let town know he's trying to do it. Basically, it's the kind of he posts as town because he in the moment he doesn't get how bad it looks.

So, yeah, I'm not fond of how Laser responded to this either (by asking about NSG's experience, and then voting), though I don't think it's particularly damning as an initial reaction versus this read being something I've been mulling over for a day.
Here are some follow up thoughts on NSG:
There’s two tales that I’ve noticed that people have been pointed out. Since this is my first hame with you guys I’m just going to go off of what others have said but Xiivi has been apparently uncharacteristically active this game which could give off scum vibes.

Then again, laser guys insistence on me being scum makes me think that they’re trying to pick off people that maybe not a lot of people are familiar with first as to seem like he’s being proactive. But I think he could be scum.

Either way I’m going to

Vote: LaserGuy

I dunno with how aggressively the lynching has been between different people it makes me think that we’re all just looking for that one person to make an obvious blunder.
This is an OMGUS. A lot of people call OMGUSing scummy. This is because a lot of people like having easy tells and buzz words to throw at other players. OMGUSing in this case is not scummy, it is instead a sign NSG is town here, because he is assuming that Laser is out to mis!yeet him and reacting accordingly. He sees Laser's push on him not as a case someone could believe, but as a potential conspiracy against someone new to site, and that feeling of persecution is a town mindset.

I've been told that my reads come off as, uh, monolithic before, like I've come to these conclusions and nothing can sway me. So, I'm going to pause and say that even though I strongly believe NSG is town, I am not 100% on it and I always open to discussion about it.

Anyway:
Reason I voted for LaserGuy is pretty much in retaliation of him voting for me after saying I was a newbie. If I get lynched for the sole fact that I haven’t played a whole lot then that seems a little suspicious to me. Like he’s scum trying to weed out me because I’m not 100% sure on the rules and strategy’s. This probably makes me an easy safe target for him because he can cross off me as being suspicious because I’m new. Me getting lynched would probably be easy for them to get everyone else up to do because my tales aren’t known. Whether I’m scum is 50/50 to everyone but I COULD scream out my role to prove my innocence but that is apparently a bad idea so I’m not gonna.
This is also town. It expands on the OMGUS from earlier, as NSG tries to figure out exactly how he's being set up. The scumread gets stronger, because it's been bouncing around in his head and he talked himself into it more and more. The "I COULD scream out my role to prove my innocence" basically never comes from new scum, it's the pure frustrating of knowing you're town and not getting how everyone else isn't seeing it on an emotional level. He logically gets that he's new, and people don't know him to know how to townread him, but emotionally he's town, and he knows it, and that frustration is seeping through his posts.

fontisian

Smash Champion
****, I'm tired. This is going to be shorter than intended and quoteless. I can follow up tomorrow as needed.

Xivii, you are town for many reasons. You are inconsistent in a townie way, you oscillate on reads as the fancy strikes you without caring about how people will call you out on it. You were having fun with you gimmick, but didn't allow it to get in the way of your scumhunting, and instead used it to reinforce your reads, focusing on me, Boom and Laser to make us justify our stances, and encouraging people to think about what you were doing and why. You are aggressive, more so than you were even when you were pushing Jack in lylo, and you are persistent and dogged, but not stale, and not stuck in your ideas. When you reacted to my post about Jack, your reads followed a progression, first by considering the case and using a combination of it and your thoughts about distancing to decide to vote Jack. Then, you thought about it some more and realized I probably wouldn't play it that way, and you tried to figure out how scum!me was manipulating you, thinking I could be the traitor. Then you looked for specific posts to find un and co-alignments with me, even though there was no flip, because you were excited about your read and wanted to figure things out. You flipped back to Somi, recognizing the pattern of how I protected Bessie our previous game, and seeing how I could have been trying to do the same thing to Laser with Somi. And then you reached out to me here, to genuinely get me to talk to you and to figure out my alignment.

Individually, these things could come from scum. Scum!you could want to fake busywork by looking at unaligned people with me, knowing that I won't flip scum. Scum!you could intentionally use the gimmick to **** with our expectations. Scum!you can get aggressive, and scum!you can fake inconsistency. Scum!you can grill boom. Scum!you can reach out and try to work with your scumreads. Scum!you can oscillate on your Jack read, and worry about being fooled. But scum!you cannot do all of those things together. You are town, I am certain, and I am town with you. I hope you can find your way to seeing that.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's all the juice I've got for today. I'll give the Jack read first thing tomorrow, night all.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Vote Extension

Unvote Boomfrog

Removing that RVS vote.

Working on a quick reads list, hoping to interact with more people tomorrow.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Hey Ninja, do you have any thoughts? I'm about to put you at a phat null so anything you have that will help me read you would be nice

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
LaserGuy LaserGuy what's your opinion of frozen flame?
I have him as nullTown. His reads seem reasonable to me and I feel like he is providing some genuine and novel insights to the thread. I'm a little surprised he put you as top Town which feels a little strong to me, but that was really the only thing that gave me any pause on him. He'd probably be higher except for the fact I know he's very experienced and I think there's a decent chance that everything from him so far is still within his scum range.

We're there any specific posts that changed your read?
I didn't care for #242 and #244, and his reply to me in #322 strengthened my suspicions.

What do you make of our Lynch pool with the level of inactivity in the game based on your reads?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, can you try to rephrase this?

Jackrito Jackrito Of the players here, I am so far:
I like these reads from Triss and I think he's pretty solidly Town at the moment.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Ordered Reads List V1.

DarkPit - Reading through they echoed some thoughts I had, and all their posts were super pure. Their logic tracks and they have solid reasons for who they distrust, but appear to be considering the best options.

Gap--------

Chaco - Has a very high post amount, with most of them actually being on point and good posts. I think thats really hard to fake.

Frozen Flame - Kind of a gut read boosting this one up, but I really liked their post #261. Their logic for their reads was sound.

Trisscar - as I said before I don't see the difference to that game Trisscar that much. They seem to be a bit more proactive, which I think is a good thing and harder to develop as scum. They also are still showing mechanic heavy posts like last game.

Fontisian - When I was first reading through I thought their interactions with Jackrito felt coordinated, but I remembered that it'd be very hard to coordinate that as a scumteam day 1 since they wouldn't of had an opportunity to talk yet. She has also dropped some posts with good logic, specifically in response to some of Xivii's questions.
3DSNinja
Nonspecificguy
Laserguy
Jackrito

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Thank you Fonti, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk what I felt to be TMI as you just being good.

Jack is playing scummier than what I believe to be reasonable from a town PR so maybe he is just scum.

I'm more confident on the Raxxel/Mala though.

Vote: Malakandra

I'm sorry :(

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Laser doesn't fold that easily. He only did in Oasis because of RL drain in his energy. And that was a lot more pressure of almost getting speed yeeted the Day before.

Why do you think Laser would fold so easily?
Do you scumread LaserGuy?

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Actual Ordered Reads List V1 - earlier one was posted early.

DarkPit - Reading through they echoed some thoughts I had, and all their posts were super pure. Their logic tracks and they have solid reasons for who they distrust, but appear to be considering the best options.

Gap--------

Chaco - Has a very high post amount, with most of them actually being on point and good posts. I think thats really hard to fake.

Frozen Flame - Kind of a gut read boosting this one up, but I really liked their post #261. Their logic for their reads was sound.

Trisscar - as I said before I don't see the difference to that game Trisscar that much. They seem to be a bit more proactive, which I think is a good thing and harder to develop as scum. They also are still showing mechanic heavy posts like last game.

Fontisian - When I was first reading through I thought their interactions with Jackrito felt coordinated, but I remembered that it'd be very hard to coordinate that as a scumteam day 1 since they wouldn't of had an opportunity to talk yet. She has also dropped some posts with good logic, specifically in response to some of Xivii's questions.

Laserguy
Boomfrog
3DSNinja
Nonspecificguy
Jackrito

Xivii - Maybe its because Xivii absolutely ruined my trust in him last game, but I'm not liking him this game. He's been jack-rabbiting around a lot, which to me looks like he's fishing for a lynch to catch on. He has been good with defending himself, but I know he can give good logic for his actions as scum too. He also has the weird act of pointing out all the town things he is doing, which I don't get at all.

Somi - They seem to be an experienced player, but they haven't really contributed much of note. Mainly just reacting to posts and making jokes. It feels like they are just trying to stay out of the lime light and not draw attention to themselves while posting.

Honestly a good portion of people are null for me rn that I'd like to see more of. Jackrito was in the scum section originally but I remembered last game and they are acting similar to how they were there. I'd really like to not be wrong about them again.

I would also like more of a case for the people on Laserguy. The argument I see from Fonti and Jack is he hasn't immediately made himself look town to them so he's scum? I would like clarification on that.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Thank you Fonti, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk what I felt to be TMI as you just being good.

Jack is playing scummier than what I believe to be reasonable from a town PR so maybe he is just scum.

I'm more confident on the Raxxel/Mala though.

Vote: Malakandra

I'm sorry :(
RIP, your fine though lol, play to your wincon.

Why so all over the place day 1? You seemed to be a more reserved player last game, even though you were scum people didn't really call you out on it besides Ran and with the big argument it seemed like you usually played like that.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Why are you trying to force Fonti to give her reads, you have never done this in any other game I played with you. Also last time I saw you do a readlist last game in Wisp's read game you did not do it the way he wanted. Imo you feel like that you are trying to look more town then normal by doing things that people should townread.
Why do you feel the need to defend fonti so strongly here? fonti seems perfectly content to respond to queries about her reads.

That leaves you Jack, and Fonti.
Fonti needs to do more than sit there saying they will participate eventually, while still posting regularly.
This is not particularly fair to fonti, IMHO. Yes, until recently she hasn't really explicitly stated "X is Town" or done a full reads list, but it seems fairly clear that she is processing information and thinking a lot about the game state. What do you think of her recent posts?

He was scum recently in Oasis which I watched from a host perspective. He deflated easily to what I believe to be light pressure and a situation he could have gotten out of. And he self-hammered. BoomFrog is skilled at evading the lynch and he has telepathy. Only he would have been able to coach Laser on how to reverse my read.
I don't think Oasis is a particularly good representative example of my scum play. It's not the worst scum game I've ever played (that would be some stupid uPick on mafiascum where I was dayvigged on page 2), but it's definitely not my strongest.

I think Jack's town now, am about to get into why. I don't have a clear accusation against Laser, and I'm not really expecting him to die today unless things get pretty crazy. The case is basically "not townie enough." I expected Laser to be someone I would get a clear townread on fairly early, and to be someone who would lead some cases, either arguing for people being town or scum, that I would agree with and want to sheep. None of that has happened.
I was trying to draw the NK that game and played accordingly.

Man I have no idea what's real anymore, I've been mixing up reality with assumptions and dreams. This morning I woke up and checked smashboards and Fonti had posted a bunch of vacation photos from southeast Asia. But apparently that was a dream before my real awakening. And the other day I had a dream that Dark Pit and I played mafia together before and we were flying chipmunks.
I don't really have anything to say about this, but it made me laugh.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Laserguy, whats your opinion on Somi? Could you give me 2 scum and 2 town reads?

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Also sorry if I'm being overly aggressive, trying to go by the advice I got last game and talk more in the thread.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Why so all over the place day 1? You seemed to be a more reserved player last game, even though you were scum people didn't really call you out on it besides Ran and with the big argument it seemed like you usually played like that.
This is just my town meta. As town, I am ignorant of each person's alignment and my hopping around reflects that. It shows that I am trying to figure things out. As scum, It's hard to fake ignorance and so I feign confidence and tunnel.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Laserguy, whats your opinion on Somi? Could you give me 2 scum and 2 town reads?
My strongest scumreads right now are Jackrito and somitomi.

somitomi I feel has been very disengaged from the thread, and I don't feel that this reflects him being confused about the game (which would be Town for him) but rather that he's actively avoiding making any strong commitments.

Jack I feel is noticeably less engaged in the game. He doesn't seem to really be interacting much except with fonti (some weird interactions there as well) and has just sat on his scumread of me without really attempting to advance a case or evaluate anyone beyond that.

My strongest Townreads are Chaco, Darkpit, Xivii, Trisscar, and fonti, in more or less that order.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
This is not particularly fair to fonti, IMHO. Yes, until recently she hasn't really explicitly stated "X is Town" or done a full reads list, but it seems fairly clear that she is processing information and thinking a lot about the game state. What do you think of her recent posts?
/QUOTE]

Much better frankly. My complaint was that not a lot of info was in her previous posts, despite saying that she had thoughts, and spent a bunch of those posts repeating that fact. Not a clear, but not something I feel the need to hold up to the light at this moment in time anymore.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
I didn't read back or anything, but I don't really like the LaserGuy lynch. I'm not really at the top of my game, but I haven't noticed anything suspicious about them (and they're one of the few players I'm familiar with, so supposedly it should be easier).
What do you feel about the base of players that are inactive? Any reads to attribute to them?
No, not really. I'd call them suspicious for lurking on principle, but it'd be a case of pot calling the kettle black.
3DSNinja is the only one I have any impression of and they give me flailing newbie town vibes. However I've seen an actual newbie pull something like this as mafia, so I have this niggling doubt and I'd gun for them on policy, but the flip would yield absolutely zero useful information.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Vote:Extension

Catch up in a bit.

but LaserGuy LaserGuy , I meant without yeeting an inactive who would be your targets now late D1, but that’s answered now.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
Hey all, just speed read through the game so far.

If do something amazing to change your view on me, isn't that exactly what Fonti did last game that got you wanting to lynch my slot?

I forgot past quotes don't carry over so I have been making new tabs on posts, I'll just go over generalities unless someone wants me on a specific post.

I don't really see that much difference in Trisscars play. They were aggressive last game day 1, just in a different way. They also were mechanic heavy which I see here. Light town lean on Trisscar.

On the other hand Xivii has been playing way different than last game, which I don't think is alignment indicative at his level of play. His constant remarks of his actions being towney is weird, since pointing it out gives no benefit. Pointing stuff out only is useful if town doesn't know that the actions are towny, and then its still not useful because why should they trust you saying your own actions are towny. Xivii also was pushing Laserguy pretty hard early, then recently said the votes on Laserguy were weird. I might of missed some progression here, apologies if you explained this. Xivii could you explain your shift from Laserguy? Light scum read on Xivii.

I wasn't really able to get a good impression of Laserguy's play last game since he died so early, but I don't see the scum links here. Laserguy has seemed to be methodical, and I agree with his take in post #216 about Pit. Other than that I didn't notice much about him in the read through.

Fonti's vote of laserguy looks really weird to me, as they made a whole post going in on Jack, then dipped out to vote on Laser with little explanation. Fonti could you explain that more? Apologies again if I missed it.
I did not see Triss as aggressive at all last game, and if they were it was self defensive not pushy, I also don't feel she is mech heavy at all that is my part of my issue with the slot so interested how you see her so differently.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
Jackrito Jackrito I have found that I tend not to be in a reading mindset when a game is actively a drain on my mental stamina. I should also mention that right before this game's start, I participated in a Discord quick-game where I managed to spot a scum member within about... 20 posts or so. It was a rather large boost to my confidence I must admit. XD

Of the players here, I am so far:
-Reluctant to read people who are experiencing IRL drains on their time, which includes NSG, Raxxel and I believe one other person? Malak just arrived anyway so that slot is still hovering quite high.

-3DSNinja has asked for time to read through and give thoughts, I'm inclined to wait a bit longer on them.

-Frozen (btw mate your name is bloody hard to use the @ function with XD ) Has so far done well in the informative sense with their posts, despite there being few of them.

-Chaco started off rough tonally, but has cleared up since and is generally being helpful.

-Somitomi is barely here, and I may have missed any explanation as to why.

-Darkpit54 is paying attention and asking relevant questions, and pointing out relevant and useful things.

-Boomfrog is posting less than I would expect perhaps, but I've only played with them once so....eh? Not standing out too heavily either way.

-Still think Xivii has a plan. Still not sure of the end goal of that plan. The plan is being very confusing that way.

-Laserguy is close to Boom, though slightly more town for reasons I am trying to parse.

That leaves you Jack, and Fonti.
Fonti needs to do more than sit there saying they will participate eventually, while still posting regularly.
You, meanwhile, should presumably remember my response to the first time I encountered the sheer level of "previous game you did *this*" that the community seems to rely on (at least I think you were there for that). Player metas are useful tools, but they should not be overly relied on outside of a bubble.

You need to understand I don't have the mental energy to deep dive this game just yet, and so using a useful tool is what I am going to do when the difference is so big to me, Xivii and you both telling me not to do this means I am going to keep doing it more. I got burned last game for letting others talk me out of stuff not happening again. If it leads to me dying because of negative attention so be it. I was wrong on Logic but that was a one off and still stand by it.

That is also not a real list since you lack any real scum lean and just gave commentary on others, if Fonti did this would you be happy? I can't really judge since I don't plan to or want to one today but so be it.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
Hey Mala, nice to have you.

I think Jack's town now, am about to get into why. I don't have a clear accusation against Laser, and I'm not really expecting him to die today unless things get pretty crazy. The case is basically "not townie enough." I expected Laser to be someone I would get a clear townread on fairly early, and to be someone who would lead some cases, either arguing for people being town or scum, that I would agree with and want to sheep. None of that has happened.

I agree with Fonti's view on Laser to a degree.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
Why do you feel the need to defend fonti so strongly here? fonti seems perfectly content to respond to queries about her reads.

I don't think Oasis is a particularly good representative example of my scum play. It's not the worst scum game I've ever played (that would be some stupid uPick on mafiascum where I was dayvigged on page 2), but it's definitely not my strongest.

I was trying to draw the NK that game and played accordingly.

I don't really have anything to say about this, but it made me laugh.
It is not me defending Fonti it is more me being weired out by Triss being pushy on something I would not expect them to be.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
My strongest scumreads right now are Jackrito and somitomi.

somitomi I feel has been very disengaged from the thread, and I don't feel that this reflects him being confused about the game (which would be Town for him) but rather that he's actively avoiding making any strong commitments.

Jack I feel is noticeably less engaged in the game. He doesn't seem to really be interacting much except with fonti (some weird interactions there as well) and has just sat on his scumread of me without really attempting to advance a case or evaluate anyone beyond that.

My strongest Townreads are Chaco, Darkpit, Xivii, Trisscar, and fonti, in more or less that order.

Why do you feel I would be less engaged if scum in this game? I could just bs my way through fake reads and appear to care more easily. You saw firsthand how frustrated I get as scum.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Jackrito Jackrito it'd be nice to get an ordered lost from you. It probably won't matter toDay but it will help my read of you on later Days.

Top Bottom