• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: Game Thread. Game Over!

Malakandra

Smash Lord
HI Triss! I've been doing good, just reading through everything. How have you been?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Sorry for multi posting, phone makes it hard to multiquote and it not be jacked up.

Oh, I didn't? I wasn't aware.

Chaco Chaco I don't really have any thoughts on Xivii's traitor stuff. Is there something specific there you wanted me to talk about (him calling me a traitor, or him trying to assure everyone he isn't the traitor, something else maybe)?
The set up speculation regarding traitor, mainly. Feel genuine to you?

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Pretty good, moving-nonsense has died down and despite living in a state with a large jump in cases, no one I know personally has come down with the "centuries newest, hottest plague delivered right to your door" yet. XD

Chaco

Never Logs In
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame The sample role PM for traitor is the same win con as regular scum team. So it Is just an informed additional number.

And yeah, Somi has been more active than the others. Hard to tell much about the slot for me through the content provided, liked some initial posts, but lately it seems more agreeing with others.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
What do you think about Xivii/Raxx connection?
I think it's a possibility, but I'm not entirely sold. I do think that Raxx is the much scummier of the two and has very much tied his slot to Xivii, but that could be WIFOMy. Unfortunately a Raxx lynch won't get us much information, and I'm loathe to lynch someone due to an irl situation before a replacement can arrive

3DSNinja - town (probability)
Jackrito - scum (number 2 slot)
Trisscar - town (number 3 slot)
Fontisian - town (process of elimination)
#HBC | FrozeηFlame - town (hasn't confirmed which is a town tell)
Chaco - scum (lurking)
Somitomi - town (playing to his meta)
Darkpit54 - scum (frozen)
Raxxel - town (meta)
BoomFrog - (hasn't confirmed which is a scum tell)
Xivii - town (first to post)
LaserGuy - town (isn't online but has confirmed which means eagerly confirmed early)
Xivii townread Raxx initially, so they're clearly scummates ;) (quoting the first post of the game is town indicative :p)

Thanks Raxxel. I wasn't anticipating such a well thought out answer. I always town read you early on even when you're scum, so I'm going to need to see your play overtime to make a decent evaluation. I'll mainly be looking for whether or not you consistently participate in the thread, as lurking seems to be your most consistent scum tell. My initial impression, however, is that you are town, but that is because I think LaserGuy is scum and that his read on you is from being scum!informed.

NSG is scum for not responding to IM DIRTY DAN. And a general sense of his response times.

Laser is scum for failing to acknowledge my slot initially, his read on Raxxel, and his push on NSG. To be clear, NSG and LaserGuy are scummates.
Not sure what to make of this, but your interpretation made sense.

To be honest I don't get what you mean about Xivii at all. I think Xivii's been relatively proactive, especially for early game. I don't think your criticism of him "being into everything" makes much sense either, so I can't blame him for not addressing it when you're essentially just criticizing his hyperactivity, which isn't valid imo and therefor there's little to say about it.
These posts are what make Raxx's slot feel scummy and connected to Xivii, but I don't didn't really see many instances of Xivii reciprocating this.

I'm not sure what I want to commit on yet, readswise, and I find that when over-commit too early the accuracy of my reads suffers as a result, and I have trouble with confirmation bias. I'm taking it more slowly than usual here, both because I don't meta to fall back on for most of the people in the game and because I'm just not really in the zone. I do intend to sum where I'm at in the game before eod, but I'm not there yet. I am happy to discuss individual reads and try to work things out before then, just not the game as a whole.
That's understandable I suppose, but it would be helpful to get them the open I think. If nothing else, could I get your current read on Somi?

Jackrito

Smash Ace
fontisian fontisian I'm going to insist that you post reads at least 24 hours before deadline, so that others have time to process them, or my first vote is going to be you.

UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin I'd like to request a votecount at your earliest convenience?

Why are you trying to force Fonti to give her reads, you have never done this in any other game I played with you. Also last time I saw you do a readlist last game in Wisp's read game you did not do it the way he wanted. Imo you feel like that you are trying to look more town then normal by doing things that people should townread.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Chaco Chaco You asked about Xivii's proactivity. I know I'm late, and it's probably irrelevant now, but I feel like I owe an answer regardless. The main thing that gave me that impression was that Xivii right out the gate had begun asking multiple questions to me. Said questions, while maybe pretty standard for early game, were productive. So that stood out as proactive to me.
Proactive is definitely the word I would assign to your town play. You tend to be one of the earliest participants in any game, you ask a lot of questions, and generally tend to be an active part of the scumhunt conversation. You do also usually take on a more serious tone, though this time around you come across a bit more laid back.
To be honest I don't get what you mean about Xivii at all. I think Xivii's been relatively proactive, especially for early game. I don't think your criticism of him "being into everything" makes much sense either, so I can't blame him for not addressing it when you're essentially just criticizing his hyperactivity, which isn't valid imo and therefor there's little to say about it.
Grouping this together, what do you think, Darkpit54 Darkpit54 ?

Jackrito

Smash Ace
Part of me wants to lynch Raxx, before the replacement comes in because of not wanting last game to repeat itself, where I backed off a lynch on Z25 because of them having personal issues, even though thinking they were scum. The result of this was Fonti replacing in and pocketing me hard and messed up my lynch attempts.

Chaco

Never Logs In
And to clarify, not at all pushing for Malak/Raxx lynch toDay. Merely trying to garner whatever information was there before a replacement comes in and changes the whole feel of the slot.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
Just saw Mala replaced in already, but my view stands the same in regards to that slot unless Mala does something amazing to change my view.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Why are you trying to force Fonti to give her reads, you have never done this in any other game I played with you. Also last time I saw you do a readlist last game in Wisp's read game you did not do it the way he wanted. Imo you feel like that you are trying to look more town then normal by doing things that people should townread.
My playstyle changes as I learn; I don't happen to think about people quite the way Wisp does; and Fonti has mentioned having reads several times without actually voicing them, which makes little sense to me strategy-wise except as a "I'm very much town guys" tactic.

Looks like attempted pocketing to me.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
My playstyle changes as I learn; I don't happen to think about people quite the way Wisp does; and Fonti has mentioned having reads several times without actually voicing them, which makes little sense to me strategy-wise except as a "I'm very much town guys" tactic.

Looks like attempted pocketing to me.

You do realise how easily a style change of this vast when you have never rolled scum, can lead to issues right. Its not only Fonti though you want everyone to give a readlist which is very unlike your other games. Yet I don't remember you doing one could be wrong on this though

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Hey all, just speed read through the game so far.

Part of me wants to lynch Raxx, before the replacement comes in because of not wanting last game to repeat itself, where I backed off a lynch on Z25 because of them having personal issues, even though thinking they were scum. The result of this was Fonti replacing in and pocketing me hard and messed up my lynch attempts.
Just saw Mala replaced in already, but my view stands the same in regards to that slot unless Mala does something amazing to change my view.
If do something amazing to change your view on me, isn't that exactly what Fonti did last game that got you wanting to lynch my slot?

I forgot past quotes don't carry over so I have been making new tabs on posts, I'll just go over generalities unless someone wants me on a specific post.

I don't really see that much difference in Trisscars play. They were aggressive last game day 1, just in a different way. They also were mechanic heavy which I see here. Light town lean on Trisscar.

On the other hand Xivii has been playing way different than last game, which I don't think is alignment indicative at his level of play. His constant remarks of his actions being towney is weird, since pointing it out gives no benefit. Pointing stuff out only is useful if town doesn't know that the actions are towny, and then its still not useful because why should they trust you saying your own actions are towny. Xivii also was pushing Laserguy pretty hard early, then recently said the votes on Laserguy were weird. I might of missed some progression here, apologies if you explained this. Xivii could you explain your shift from Laserguy? Light scum read on Xivii.

I wasn't really able to get a good impression of Laserguy's play last game since he died so early, but I don't see the scum links here. Laserguy has seemed to be methodical, and I agree with his take in post #216 about Pit. Other than that I didn't notice much about him in the read through.

Fonti's vote of laserguy looks really weird to me, as they made a whole post going in on Jack, then dipped out to vote on Laser with little explanation. Fonti could you explain that more? Apologies again if I missed it.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
If you think Fonti is traitor and somitomi is mafia, wouldn't it make more sense to go for somitomi?
Yes.
Could you elaborate on this? I don't disagree that both could be scum, but I don't really understand the connection.
She stated disliking something about somi's post but says how it is null in the same post. There wasn't a reason to make that statement then. Which leads me to suspect that she made it for the sake of light distancing to show that she is considering somi's alignment. The interaction is weird in general. It may not be a Fonti/Somi thing but a Fonti/Laser thing.
Xivii Xivii Xivii Xivii What do you think of Raxx’s slot and the content they did bring forward?
As I said, he has a high chance of flipping scum. I think he has the highest of anyone at the moment. As Triss said, the connection you're seeing is most likely scum!Rax with too much information about my alignment and trying to pocket me.
do you think fonti's comment of saying "I talked myself out of the read as I wrote the post" was genuine? Im wondering if this is a throwaway line intended to mask a "buyers remorse" situation where scum!fonti thought a push in jack direction was prudent for whatever reason and then just regretted it and wanted to keep more pressure in lasers direction to keep that pick a frontrunner as deadline looms?
I think it's possibly genuine. If she realized that the fact that she isn't Jack's partner makes the point invalid. I lean more toward it not being genuine however and intentionally made to look like townie-like live-thinking.
I don't have any meta on these slots, do you have any meta-based reason to believe that attacking perceived deviations from baseline playstyle is a preferred strategy of scum!Jack for an easy avenue of attack?
I don't think meta is necessary. It's an easy avenue of attack in general.
Pretty good, moving-nonsense has died down and despite living in a state with a large jump in cases, no one I know personally has come down with the "centuries newest, hottest plague delivered right to your door" yet. XD
Are you in Australia? For some reason, I thought you were in Australia.
you have never done this in any other game I played with you
Could you stop doing this?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Xivii could you explain your shift from Laserguy?
He didn't really respond to my pressure in a scummy way. I would have expected him to throw in the towel given my push. Unless he was being coached by BoomFrog to ignore it.
I forgot past quotes don't carry over
Do you mean from page to page? They do. Or do you mean nested quotes? In which case, they don't.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I'd only be willing to execute Fonti or Raxxel as it stands. I think we would get a lot out of Fonti's flip and her progression on slots doesn't feel natural. Her reads seem informed. Raxxel was playing exactly to his scum meta and his defense on me also appeared informed.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
He didn't really respond to my pressure in a scummy way. I would have expected him to throw in the towel given my push. Unless he was being coached by BoomFrog to ignore it.

Why would you have expected him to throw in the towel? And why specifically boomfrog as the coach?

Do you mean from page to page? They do. Or do you mean nested quotes? In which case, they don't.
They do? I had some quotes that I made on duplicated pages and when I put all the quotes in they didn't come with. Maybe its because I made new quotes?

Malakandra

Smash Lord
ah I messed up the quote. That middle line is supposed to be me responding sorry Xivii

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Jackrito Jackrito I have found that I tend not to be in a reading mindset when a game is actively a drain on my mental stamina. I should also mention that right before this game's start, I participated in a Discord quick-game where I managed to spot a scum member within about... 20 posts or so. It was a rather large boost to my confidence I must admit. XD

Of the players here, I am so far:
-Reluctant to read people who are experiencing IRL drains on their time, which includes NSG, Raxxel and I believe one other person? Malak just arrived anyway so that slot is still hovering quite high.

-3DSNinja has asked for time to read through and give thoughts, I'm inclined to wait a bit longer on them.

-Frozen (btw mate your name is bloody hard to use the @ function with XD ) Has so far done well in the informative sense with their posts, despite there being few of them.

-Chaco started off rough tonally, but has cleared up since and is generally being helpful.

-Somitomi is barely here, and I may have missed any explanation as to why.

-Darkpit54 is paying attention and asking relevant questions, and pointing out relevant and useful things.

-Boomfrog is posting less than I would expect perhaps, but I've only played with them once so....eh? Not standing out too heavily either way.

-Still think Xivii has a plan. Still not sure of the end goal of that plan. The plan is being very confusing that way.

-Laserguy is close to Boom, though slightly more town for reasons I am trying to parse.

That leaves you Jack, and Fonti.
Fonti needs to do more than sit there saying they will participate eventually, while still posting regularly.
You, meanwhile, should presumably remember my response to the first time I encountered the sheer level of "previous game you did *this*" that the community seems to rely on (at least I think you were there for that). Player metas are useful tools, but they should not be overly relied on outside of a bubble.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Xivii Xivii Nope, I'm in "the fifth largest economy in the world" or whatever we are now, so-sunny-it'll-boil-you-and-burn-your-house-down California. XD

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Laser doesn't fold that easily. He only did in Oasis because of RL drain in his energy. And that was a lot more pressure of almost getting speed yeeted the Day before.

Why do you think Laser would fold so easily?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Why would you have expected him to throw in the towel? And why specifically boomfrog as the coach?
He was scum recently in Oasis which I watched from a host perspective. He deflated easily to what I believe to be light pressure and a situation he could have gotten out of. And he self-hammered. BoomFrog is skilled at evading the lynch and he has telepathy. Only he would have been able to coach Laser on how to reverse my read.

I'll make a quick vid on the multi quoting. If you're doing everything correctly, it may be an issue with having multiple tabs open of the same thread. That can make things a bit funky.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
*Now imagining Boomfrog as Professor X with the Travelling Salesmans' hat*

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
3DSNinja 3DSNinja Don't try to read everything and then reply. You will get overwhelmed. Just quote things that stand out to you and react to them as you read. Like Logic did in the last game.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Probably was the tab one, I had like 10 open lol.

Alright, Boomfrog is contradicting the validity of that explanation, but I mainly wanted to see your logic anyway. And despite that maybe being wrong the logic doesn't seem bogus. I don't know if boomfrog is the only capable person with telepathy, Fonti is certainly capable and I'm willing to be she has some sort of super powers.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Darkpit you seem to be liking alot of posts which means your here. I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on my slot, you mentioned earlier not wanting to lynch them before a replacement can arrive I here I am. I get where you are coming from, I don't know why my slot interacted primarily with Xivii, if I had to guess itd be the RL issues and Xivii was posting the most so it would be easier to interact with him.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Grouping this together, I think Xivii's early play was very proactive. This was a good catch, Raxx was protective of Xivii but evidence to do so was clearly kinda limited lol, I definitely missed that his argument was essentially the same every time. I think this most likely means scum Raxx, but I'm unsure where that leaves Xivii. Traitor Raxx would almost definitely mean scum Xivii imo, but maf Raxx could mean either a scummate Xiv or town Xiv that he was trying to pocket

I'd only be willing to execute Fonti or Raxxel as it stands. I think we would get a lot out of Fonti's flip and her progression on slots doesn't feel natural. Her reads seem informed. Raxxel was playing exactly to his scum meta and his defense on me also appeared informed.
I agree that one of these is the best vote rn, slightly leaning toward Fonti because I feel that we'll learn a lot more, regardless of alignment, but I'm interested in seeing what comes from Mala

btw Fonti and Triss female pronouns, somi male pronouns

Darkpit54 Darkpit54 what do you use?
I really appreciate this lol, it gets kinda hard to keep track. I use male pronouns

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Darkpit you seem to be liking alot of posts which means your here. I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on my slot, you mentioned earlier not wanting to lynch them before a replacement can arrive I here I am. I get where you are coming from, I don't know why my slot interacted primarily with Xivii, if I had to guess itd be the RL issues and Xivii was posting the most so it would be easier to interact with him.
Welcome Mala! I was trying to keep up with the thread while typing my responses, hence the likes. I think my above post probably answered this question, but I think your slot is likely scum, but due to the few interactions, we wouldn't get much information after lynch, whereas with Fonti, I feel that we'd get more information but I'm less certain that she's scum. I don't know which is considered to be more optimal.

I am appreciating your reads so far, I'm sure it's draining to read through the entire thread. Just rereading can be exhausting :cry:. You have my sympathies lol

Before I forget, I'd also like to Vote: Extension.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Hey all, just speed read through the game so far.

If do something amazing to change your view on me, isn't that exactly what Fonti did last game that got you wanting to lynch my slot?

I forgot past quotes don't carry over so I have been making new tabs on posts, I'll just go over generalities unless someone wants me on a specific post.

I don't really see that much difference in Trisscars play. They were aggressive last game day 1, just in a different way. They also were mechanic heavy which I see here. Light town lean on Trisscar.

On the other hand Xivii has been playing way different than last game, which I don't think is alignment indicative at his level of play. His constant remarks of his actions being towney is weird, since pointing it out gives no benefit. Pointing stuff out only is useful if town doesn't know that the actions are towny, and then its still not useful because why should they trust you saying your own actions are towny. Xivii also was pushing Laserguy pretty hard early, then recently said the votes on Laserguy were weird. I might of missed some progression here, apologies if you explained this. Xivii could you explain your shift from Laserguy? Light scum read on Xivii.

I wasn't really able to get a good impression of Laserguy's play last game since he died so early, but I don't see the scum links here. Laserguy has seemed to be methodical, and I agree with his take in post #216 about Pit. Other than that I didn't notice much about him in the read through.

Fonti's vote of laserguy looks really weird to me, as they made a whole post going in on Jack, then dipped out to vote on Laser with little explanation. Fonti could you explain that more? Apologies again if I missed it.
Hey Mala, nice to have you.

I think Jack's town now, am about to get into why. I don't have a clear accusation against Laser, and I'm not really expecting him to die today unless things get pretty crazy. The case is basically "not townie enough." I expected Laser to be someone I would get a clear townread on fairly early, and to be someone who would lead some cases, either arguing for people being town or scum, that I would agree with and want to sheep. None of that has happened.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Thanks pit! Is voting extension actually a thing? Does it just extend the time? if so that would be appreciated.

You did answer my questions, thanks. Theres not really any defense I can give, so I'll hope I can play well enough now

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Vote: Extension

Darkpit, would you learn a lot if I flipped town?
Potentially? I think definitely more than if Mala flipped town, I'll look back through in a minute to pick out specific interactions that could make others seem more townie/scummy based on your interactions. If Mala flips scum, I think there could be an argument for Laser as a scummate due to her read of him, but I could be reading too much into it and would want to see how Laser interacted with Raxx previously.

Thanks pit! Is voting extension actually a thing? Does it just extend the time? if so that would be appreciated.

You did answer my questions, thanks. Theres not really any defense I can give, so I'll hope I can play well enough now
In the post starting the day phase, Utopian said that due to the end of d1 falling on the 4th of July, if 7 players vote for an extension the deadline will be extended an extra 24 hours

fontisian

Smash Champion
Alright, let me walk my assumption back a bit. Have you been trying to sort everyone or have you been focusing your attention on a select group?
Ok, let's start by cutting this stuff out.

I am trying to sort everyone, with a focus on townreads. Some people are easier to sort than others, and I can just townread them without having to reread their post five times or go meta diving (as I had to with Frozen and Jack, respectively). I am not "choosing not to participate" but rather contributing conclusions as I come to them and attempting to bounce reads off of other people (mostly laser, I'd like to do it with Xivii, but he's being, uh, frustrating.) You, boomfrog, someone who is statistically likely to be town, asked me to give a read on Frozen, so I, a town, decided to flesh out my general light town feelings on him by going through his posts a few more times, and provide reasoning that could be helpful for you, Boomfrog, as well as other potential town to either come to the same conclusion or to argue with me if they disagree. I did this because you, Boomfrog, likely asked me for the read for a reason, and if you are town it's important for me, a fontisian, to support your scum hunting even when I don't know the particular reasons for your questions.

I, a fontisian, do not believe in focusing on self-defense, but rather intend to show my towniness via my hunting and my logic. I could spend all ****ing day talking to Xivii about how ridiculous his idea of my scumplay is, but it probably wouldn't even make a difference and frankly his paranoia is useful in allowing me to clear him.

If you have a specific question about something I have done or am doing, I will attempt to answer it. (This question qualified.) Otherwise, I am not interested in talking about my play.

Top Bottom