• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: Game Thread. Game Over!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright so, thanks Malakandra Malakandra for catching up quickly and putting an overall game feel out.

Heres what I’ve noticed in the last page or so reading catching back up:

Xivii’s vote on Raxx/Mala:

It makes me wonder if they would actually stay on this Lynch and not find a way to cycle off and try and spin it elsewhere. Since Mala has replaced inthe two have put opposing scum reads on one another. Xivii was suss of Raxx beforehand, but I still at some level see patterns of connection here. I think Xivii knows a Raxx Lynch is unlikely due to Mala replacing late toDay. Maybe one sided, maybe both. But I 100% feel there is scum here.

Fonti/Triss/Jack

These three are very hard for me to read. They post with little to no undertones and motive is very hard to discern outside of what is presented.

Out of the three though, Triss is hardest for me to read. Fonti gives a bit more to work with. Jack allows more emotion to show through, which ultimately will allow me to ping him faster. Nothing standing out scummy to me with these three, but nothing giving me points either. I’ve seen meta based arguments in both directions for them, but do not add or take away for those.

Posting this portion before my phone tries to delete my post again...

Chaco

Never Logs In
LaserGuy I actually get what people are saying there. I almost want to subscribe to the meta of him because I can see the fact he would normally play a more in depth townLaser.

Looking back at Somi I almost agree as well. Nothing has particularly made me want to look to them toDay as a Lynch target, but I see a kindve non confrontational vibe there, more in agreement usually. Haven’t seen any concrete stances that make me want to subscribe as town/scum yet.

Town lean on frozen flame due to current content, but it will take more progression for me to fully understand the slot.

3DS is complete null. Nothing to go off of.

Xivii read is contingent on Raxx/Mala.

NSG is definitely giving off new vibes, but I won’t attribute town or scum until I see much more, as well. I would coach them to burn up that card as scum. But the post about their “OMGUS” vote is actually solid, don’t remember who posted it Fonti or Jack.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
I initially had her in the town core because I'm a sucker for people calling themselves town. Like why would scum every say they are town? It doesn't make sense. Scum would never do that.
This is not at all relevant right now, I just saw it reading back and thought it was hilarious lol.

Fontisian - When I was first reading through I thought their interactions with Jackrito felt coordinated, but I remembered that it'd be very hard to coordinate that as a scumteam day 1 since they wouldn't of had an opportunity to talk yet.
Mafia and Masons can actually chat during both day and night phases according to Utopian's post on the setup on page 1, but the confusion is understandable. Unsure if this is a true townslip or just trying to be (plus traitor wouldn't necessarily know this, or maybe she just hasn't been added yet lol) but I thought it might be worth pointing out

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame The sample role PM for traitor is the same win con as regular scum team. So it Is just an informed additional number.
I think you're misunderstanding my point. I wasn't saying that traitor doesn't share the mafia team wincon, I was saying that the traitor slot does not count as a "living mafia player" for purposes of calculating when town gets endgamed, which is usually coupled with the rule that traitor GETS endgamed when all other living, non-traitor, scum slots are dead. Make sense?

I think it's a possibility, but I'm not entirely sold. I do think that Raxx is the much scummier of the two and has very much tied his slot to Xivii, but that could be WIFOMy. Unfortunately a Raxx lynch won't get us much information, and I'm loathe to lynch someone due to an irl situation before a replacement can arrive
I vibed with this take, I'm feeling very similar about fonti/raxx as possible plays

Why are you trying to force Fonti to give her reads, you have never done this in any other game I played with you. Also last time I saw you do a readlist last game in Wisp's read game you did not do it the way he wanted. Imo you feel like that you are trying to look more town then normal by doing things that people should townread.
"forcing" fonti to give her reads? where was this forcing exactly? this comes off a bit chainsaw-y, where is this impassioned faith in fonti's strategy to strategically hide reads for some kind of future payoff coming from?

Looks like attempted pocketing to me.
can you explain what you meant by "pocketing" here? like do you mean scum buddying/ingratiating a townie?

I don't really see that much difference in Trisscars play. They were aggressive last game day 1, just in a different way. They also were mechanic heavy which I see here. Light town lean on Trisscar.

On the other hand Xivii has been playing way different than last game, which I don't think is alignment indicative at his level of play. His constant remarks of his actions being towney is weird, since pointing it out gives no benefit. Pointing stuff out only is useful if town doesn't know that the actions are towny, and then its still not useful because why should they trust you saying your own actions are towny. Xivii also was pushing Laserguy pretty hard early, then recently said the votes on Laserguy were weird. I might of missed some progression here, apologies if you explained this. Xivii could you explain your shift from Laserguy? Light scum read on Xivii.

I wasn't really able to get a good impression of Laserguy's play last game since he died so early, but I don't see the scum links here. Laserguy has seemed to be methodical, and I agree with his take in post #216 about Pit. Other than that I didn't notice much about him in the read through.

Fonti's vote of laserguy looks really weird to me, as they made a whole post going in on Jack, then dipped out to vote on Laser with little explanation. Fonti could you explain that more? Apologies again if I missed it.
this catchup post is a bit underwhelming tbh, mostly meta based reads and a bit of a prod into one slot's rationale for a vote? I mean its better than anything raxx gave us but not really feeling any better about this slot

I think it's possibly genuine. If she realized that the fact that she isn't Jack's partner makes the point invalid. I lean more toward it not being genuine however and intentionally made to look like townie-like live-thinking.

I don't think meta is necessary. It's an easy avenue of attack in general.
re: the Fonti analysis, your impression here is also the impression I got, it felt kneejerky but easily "blended" as spotaneous whimsical townieness. and def agreed that baseline deviation nitpicking is a low hanging fruit for scum, was hoping maybe you had meta evidence to show we've seen it from this player before

I'd only be willing to execute Fonti or Raxxel as it stands. I think we would get a lot out of Fonti's flip and her progression on slots doesn't feel natural. Her reads seem informed. Raxxel was playing exactly to his scum meta and his defense on me also appeared informed.
seems like you me and darkpit have similar feelings on these options

btw Fonti and Triss female pronouns, somi male pronouns
super helpful btw ty

-Frozen (btw mate your name is bloody hard to use the @ function with XD ) Has so far done well in the informative sense with their posts, despite there being few of them.
lmao sorry about the HBC tag, I know that struggle, we used to have games with multiple HBC players in it at once, was such a pain to tag everyone

also nothing in your reads list jumps out as suss to me so thanks for solidifying that town read

These are going to be quick responses, so there may be things I misremember.

1. I would not dunk on a partner d1, like you accused me of doing with Jack. Wins with the full team alive are vastly preferable to going to late game alone. I do distance, but I prefer more conversational style distancing than fullblown cases and fights, which are easy to see through in late game. I also just don't think I do what I did with reversing my read on Jack in general, expect explicitly to pocket people who know me. Like, I could see scum!me doing it as a play for towncred, but I'm also very aware of how poorly people can react to perceived inconsistency, so as scum with a group that does not know my townplay at all, I prefer to just be a consistent "scumhunting" force, pushing town towards fighting town. There's no need for fancy plays to fake inconsistency in a townie way, if that makes sense. I think the fairest thing you did was link me and somi, because getting a town to justify their townread on a partner and cement that read in their head is something I absolutely do as scum.
ugh this is so gross, I hate it when veteran players do this. Do you really think anyone is that naive as to believe that you would sell out your scum playbook just to buy some possible town cred in a single game? this is so WIFOM and gross like it really doesn't deserve serious consideration. Sayin you would dunk on a scummate D1 is patently absurb, if you know what you're doing there will always be a game where one of your partners is begging for the noose and a hard bus is absolutely the prudent move. I haven't played with you much if ever before and just from what I've seen in this game I can tell you're a player of a caliber above this kind of nonsense reasoning. Selling out your ability to play to wincon as non-town faction to look like you're so dedicated to your town meta that you MUST be town in a given game is just bad play regardless of alignment tbh

Now for #HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame

I've actually already given an NSG read, it's here:

Here are some follow up thoughts on NSG:

This is an OMGUS. A lot of people call OMGUSing scummy. This is because a lot of people like having easy tells and buzz words to throw at other players. OMGUSing in this case is not scummy, it is instead a sign NSG is town here, because he is assuming that Laser is out to mis!yeet him and reacting accordingly. He sees Laser's push on him not as a case someone could believe, but as a potential conspiracy against someone new to site, and that feeling of persecution is a town mindset.

I've been told that my reads come off as, uh, monolithic before, like I've come to these conclusions and nothing can sway me. So, I'm going to pause and say that even though I strongly believe NSG is town, I am not 100% on it and I always open to discussion about it.

Anyway:

This is also town. It expands on the OMGUS from earlier, as NSG tries to figure out exactly how he's being set up. The scumread gets stronger, because it's been bouncing around in his head and he talked himself into it more and more. The "I COULD scream out my role to prove my innocence" basically never comes from new scum, it's the pure frustrating of knowing you're town and not getting how everyone else isn't seeing it on an emotional level. He logically gets that he's new, and people don't know him to know how to townread him, but emotionally he's town, and he knows it, and that frustration is seeping through his posts.
but then this is a really solid take, the OMGUS analysis is pretty clean here and hard to see scum intent in. I feel like im going to be stuck waffling on you, your content is so mixed to me

This is just my town meta. As town, I am ignorant of each person's alignment and my hopping around reflects that. It shows that I am trying to figure things out. As scum, It's hard to fake ignorance and so I feign confidence and tunnel.
frankly xiivi all of the above re: fonti doing this applies similarly to you. you're better than this kind of play, and its a little insulting that you expect any of us to take you at face value with these kind of arguments

It makes me wonder if they would actually stay on this Lynch and not find a way to cycle off and try and spin it elsewhere. Since Mala has replaced inthe two have put opposing scum reads on one another. Xivii was suss of Raxx beforehand, but I still at some level see patterns of connection here. I think Xivii knows a Raxx Lynch is unlikely due to Mala replacing late toDay. Maybe one sided, maybe both. But I 100% feel there is scum here.
can you clarify what you mean here when you say there is 100% scum here? Are you saying between the two slots you're 100% confident one of xiivi/raxx slots is scum?

Vote: Extension

UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin are you considering replacing 3DSNinja at all and if so how would a replacement for his slot affect our deadline today if at all?

Is anyone else as concerned as me about how somitomi has somehow accomplished to fall even farther into the background the closer we get to deadline?

Malakandra

Smash Lord
This is just my town meta. As town, I am ignorant of each person's alignment and my hopping around reflects that. It shows that I am trying to figure things out. As scum, It's hard to fake ignorance and so I feign confidence and tunnel.
I'm sorry but I refuse to believe you can't do this as scum. Maybe Im overestimating you because of bias from last game, but others have also said you are an amazing player and can change your play style rapidly.

My strongest scumreads right now are Jackrito and somitomi.

somitomi I feel has been very disengaged from the thread, and I don't feel that this reflects him being confused about the game (which would be Town for him) but rather that he's actively avoiding making any strong commitments.

Jack I feel is noticeably less engaged in the game. He doesn't seem to really be interacting much except with fonti (some weird interactions there as well) and has just sat on his scumread of me without really attempting to advance a case or evaluate anyone beyond that.

My strongest Townreads are Chaco, Darkpit, Xivii, Trisscar, and fonti, in more or less that order.

It seems like both your scum reads are on disengagement, what makes you think a member of scum team is more likely to be disengaged from the game rather than controlling it?

You've played with Xivii a lot before, atleast he seemed to have seen you play a lot before. Is he correct in saying this is his normal town play style? And can you recall anytime he played like this as scum.

I did not see Triss as aggressive at all last game, and if they were it was self defensive not pushy, I also don't feel she is mech heavy at all that is my part of my issue with the slot so interested how you see her so differently.
Mechanics posts are #36, #42, #70 (bottom part) and #159. They were aggressive in a more defensive way last game sure. I think its an improvement for them being more proactive, and trying get people to give opinions. I still think the same energy from last game is there in her posts, just now redirected outward instead of inward. I see that as the result of a confidence boost, I'm leaning towards that confidence boost being from the reasons they stated and overall improvement rather than scum TMI right now.

Mafia and Masons can actually chat during both day and night phases according to Utopian's post on the setup on page 1, but the confusion is understandable. Unsure if this is a true townslip or just trying to be (plus traitor wouldn't necessarily know this, or maybe she just hasn't been added yet lol) but I thought it might be worth pointing out
Oh, then ignore what I said about that part for Fonti and Jack. I was just writing about how you were wrong, but then realized I'd been using the sign up sheet rule post, instead of the game one. Apparently they are different, RIP.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
this catchup post is a bit underwhelming tbh, mostly meta based reads and a bit of a prod into one slot's rationale for a vote? I mean its better than anything raxx gave us but not really feeling any better about this slot
I'll make sure to solve the game on my first read through next time.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Sorry, that was passive aggressive. I'm not really great at reading through past things and making conclusions. I tried that last game at the end and ended up making a dumb play because of it. I think I'm better with interacting with people to get more information, which is where that first post came from.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Fonti/Triss/Jack

These three are very hard for me to read. They post with little to no undertones and motive is very hard to discern outside of what is presented.

Out of the three though, Triss is hardest for me to read.
Feel free to ask questions tbf, if there are specific things you're confused on.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
You need to understand I don't have the mental energy to deep dive this game just yet, and so using a useful tool is what I am going to do when the difference is so big to me, Xivii and you both telling me not to do this means I am going to keep doing it more. I got burned last game for letting others talk me out of stuff not happening again. If it leads to me dying because of negative attention so be it. I was wrong on Logic but that was a one off and still stand by it.

That is also not a real list since you lack any real scum lean and just gave commentary on others, if Fonti did this would you be happy? I can't really judge since I don't plan to or want to one today but so be it.
@Jackrito it's absurd that you would continue to use meta feels as the foundation of your reads considering how incorrect you were about Logic last game and the fact that multiple people are telling you that you're incorrect about Triss this game.

Jack's aggression toward Triss does not look genuine. It's like a forced tunnel that I earlier described that scum are inclined to do. It's also possible that this is just SvS. Scum often have an aggressive demeanor toward one another for distancing sake.
That's irrelevant to me thinking your specific point doesn't hold up.

I put him at a scum lean but I'm not willing to yeet him D1.
It is indeed relevant. You had LaserGuy as town before but somehow that's changed. It's as if you have conflicting agendas: the desire to keep Laser in your good graces by not scumreading him and the desire to keep him in the lynch pool.

Chaco

Never Logs In
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame If I quote that it’s going to be a mess.

To the first point about traitor, gotcha, I didn’t realize that’s what you were saying.

To the latter, yes, I mean that between the two slots one is definitely scum, if not both. Haven’t decided how to fully gauge yet, waiting to see how toDay progresses.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Feel free to ask questions tbf, if there are specific things you're confused on.
It’s not really confusion with you, it’s just hard to see any sort of inflection in your posts unless it’s humorous.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Xivii I’m gonna give you more credit than you’ve been giving yourself and say that you aren’t limited by your meta. You keep saying as town or scum I wouldn’t or would do such and such. I just don’t see that from a player like you, I see more skill than that. That’s why I see it as more gambit.

Chaco

Never Logs In
To elaborate further, Trisscar, if you can’t tell I’m a very gut heavy player.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My b. It’s been a little busy irl

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh my god you suck
LMAO. but I have realized before that in a few previous Mafia games Mafia members will quite aggressive with their lynches and I noticed that LaserGuy went all in very fast on me.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
If I quote that it’s going to be a mess.
If you happen to be playing on pc (not sure about mobile) you should be able to just highlight the parts you want to include, and have a little "Quote/Reply" option come up near the right end of it.

It’s not really confusion with you, it’s just hard to see any sort of inflection in your posts unless it’s humorous.
Fair enough.

To elaborate further, Trisscar, if you can’t tell I’m a very gut heavy player.
Lel, also fair enough. Good to attempt to identify what you're noticing subconsciously though.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Where do we go from here? I'm feeling better about Fonti after last night, especially the post about NSG, though posting what you would do as scum seems entirely unreliable lol. I also like Mala's posts, but I'm still iffy on the slot as a whole. I wish Somi were able to be more active, I'm curious where his head is at. I'd also like reads from Somi and Jack if that's possible.

If you happen to be playing on pc (not sure about mobile) you should be able to just highlight the parts you want to include, and have a little "Quote/
You can do it on mobile too! You just hold to highlight it lol.

Chaco

Never Logs In
How do you get it up on the screen as mobile after you’ve got the multiquote selected? After I select the snippets and I hit reply to the last one, it doesn’t populate any of them...

So confused Lol but this could be life changing (for you all)

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
How do you get it up on the screen as mobile after you’ve got the multiquote selected? After I select the snippets and I hit reply to the last one, it doesn’t populate any of them...

So confused Lol but this could be life changing (for you all)
I press quote instead of reply and then "insert quotes" but whatever you did worked ig lol

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Btw, just to get some formalities out of the way. Chocolate should claim right now if they exist. Chocolate is basically Miller for the Neo. If they claim now they will be mostly believed. But if you claim chocolate on a later Day then it's too late.

Secondly, if I'm dead and we haven't caught scum yet on D3, then yeet Xivii (unless he's Mason confirmed by another Mason). Seriously, just assume you are being played.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Btw, just to get some formalities out of the way. Chocolate should claim right now if they exist. Chocolate is basically Miller for the Neo. If they claim now they will be mostly believed. But if you claim chocolate on a later Day then it's too late.
I fully second this. Additionally, would visitor have an actual power or just be to throw off the Tracker?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
And yea Chaco you use insert quotes under the text boss. The "Reply" button is used for replying only to that specific post. I made a video on it a few pages back.

I really hope Chaco is Choco.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I thought you were just calling me boss, and I was cool with it.

but no, no chocolate Chaco.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Lel, also fair enough. Good to attempt to identify what you're noticing subconsciously though
Yeah this has been my issue with the interactions between RaxxMala and Xivii. Of course now the supporting posts from Raxx are moot, depending on advancement of the slot.

Speaking of, Malakandra Malakandra , FF frustrate you? That kindve seemed a bit of response to pressure

Where do we go from here?
I still like a RaxxMala Lynch tbr.

Secondly, if I'm dead and we haven't caught scum yet on D3, then yeet Xivii (unless he's Mason confirmed by another Mason). Seriously, just assume you are being played.
Cool with the chocolate claim, but still for sure a grain of salt taken with it.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone else as concerned as me about how somitomi has somehow accomplished to fall even farther into the background the closer we get to deadline?
Yes, I usually dread the later parts of D1 and now I couldn't really get my head into the game to begin with. How I managed to do this without any IRL interference, I don't know...
UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin May I ask for a replacement?

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
It's as if you have conflicting agendas: the desire to keep Laser in your good graces by not scumreading him and the desire to keep him in the lynch pool.
He's not in the yeetpool today, so I'm failing at that goal if that was my plan. If that was my goal I'd keep him as a town lean D1 and find him scummy for something toMorrow.

BoomFrog BoomFrog when did your read on LaserGuy change?
He's been drifting downward as he has continued to not do something I expected town laser to do.

Now. You've completely derailed my original question. Fair's fair. The pressure you have this game and there pressure under which laser have up in Oasis were extremely different scale. Why did you think he'd give up under such little pressure as scum? This seems like a very contrived reason to town read Laser.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Take care, Somi.

So we are looking at 3 potential replacements toDay, cause as it stands, 3DS isn’t doing anything still.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Speaking of, Malakandra Malakandra Malakandra Malakandra , FF frustrate you? That kindve seemed a bit of response to pressure
Sure, I got a bit frustrated. They are scumreading me for my last slots actions, and decided my first real game post wasn't good enough for them, while ignoring my other posts and my readlist that was made at that point. I was frustrated so I responded. I realized after I posted that they were justified in their posts from their perspective, and that I was taking things too seriously.

I should of said what Im going to say now.

FF, care to give your thoughts on my other posts besides my first post?

Top Bottom