• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Michigan Temporary Powerrankings

Notra

Smash Ace
This is made to increase Tourney Appearances, and give people something to strive for. Period. Not a panelist or really one to make this, just i posted it and people didnt seem to argue with its structure or order too much.

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL BUT IT IS ACCURATE. NOT TOO SHY OF WHAT I'D BE IF MADE.

MI wants a PR?

1. Lain :popo: :metaknight:
2. Judge :metaknight: :wario:
3. Anther :pikachu:
4. LCancel :olimar: :popo:
5/6. Boxxy :popo: :snake: :metaknight:
5/6. Azure :metaknight: :snake:
7/8. Flame :snake: :wolf:
7/8. Tutu :shiek:
9. Rofa :metaknight: :lucas:
10. Coco :olimar:
11. Bowyer :metaknight:

People gone from inactivity:
SamuraiPanda :snake:
Omniswell :wario:
Notra :falco:
Dingdong :metaknight:
Mikey :peach:
The Mann :luigi: :luigi: :luigi: :luigi: :luigi: :luigi: :luigi: :luigi: :luigi: :weegee:

Can honestly say i did this with out bias. Or else u'd see my name on the LIST (emphasizing "list" since ankoku QQ's about exact definitions to compensate for failed points)....

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Where am I? I've only been inactive from Brawl for the past 18 months. I would like to petition the panel on their decision to exclude me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Not accurate at all, but it's MI so it doesn't matter anyway.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
DarkLouis, MTI, Duck, and Tech_Chase should have HM

Also I should be 8th and Boxxy should be 5th and azure should be tied with Flame for 6th. Coco should be higher, or at least tied with me.

IMO of course.

@Ankoku- Please share your opinion if you find it innaccurate. I honestly think this is a good idea. And it does matter for the few of us unknown MI that play out of state since PR goes into consideration for Seeding

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Is Rofa even active enough to be Power Ranked. Is he skilled enough? For sure but he only attended/attends tournaments once in a blue moon anyway. Same with Bowyer. Activity should play a role in this also if this is meant to be serious. Judge hasnt been to a MI tournament in ages and Anther only shows up to the Gameyard ones because he can bike there. And with the exception of the Gameyard tournament that I threw all of them were small anyway.

These people are certainly skilled but I was under the impression that you have to attend tournaments to get PRed lol. I'd keep Judge and Anther where they are at for now...maybe..but if there were more tournaments and they didnt show then they should get moved down. Nothing against them though they **** hard.

MTI should at least be HM. He's placed well each tournament he's attended.

I dont even know why I'm talking about this like its serious though lol

What's The Point

Smash Master
As stated before, this is relatively pointless with MI's current tournament schedule.

Unless some TOs step it up and we get at least 2 tournaments per month, our PR is just the latest tournament results.

ZTD | TECHnology

How much emphasis are we putting on OoS tournaments? I do totally agree with you though on that.

Okay this is dumb: We need to make a group for Michigan's Power Ranking Council and take back our PR system. Keep the TS system (even though it needs to be updated ) but we need a PR again. I'm not saying we need to have one made now but we should get a group together anyway and get this settled. There have been many tournaments since the last updating of the TS system. A few very small ones, some okayish ones and two larger size locals. I think we need like 2 more large size tournaments before we come to a real conclusion but we should get something established. There IS interest. I

I vow to host another tournament within the next two months. Someone else needs to host and there you have your two. The time for talk is over.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you really want to know...
This is quite honestly the only part that matters. lain's the only consistent tournament attendee and he tends to beat everyone else in Michigan in both head-to-head and placements.
Judge has been about as active as Anther lately. Looking at recent tournament results... well, he doesn't really have any.
3. Anther :pikachu:
lol. I guess he beats people when he does end up going to a tournament.
4. LCancel :olimar: :popo:
5/6. Boxxy :popo: :snake: :metaknight:
5/6. Azure :metaknight: :snake:
7/8. Flame :snake: :wolf:
So toward the beginning of the summer, L and Coco would beat Boxxy and Flame, and Azure had just started entering tournaments again and placing top 8. Now, L's got ride problems a lot of the time, Coco's placements have gone down, Boxxy's lost to Tutu, and Azure made top 3 last weekend. I'd say there was some sort of transition here except that we've barely had a 1-to-1 tournament/month ratio to find any sort of correlation over time.
7/8. Tutu :shiek:
9. Rofa :metaknight: :lucas:
10. Coco :olimar:
11. Bowyer :metaknight:
Coco is mentioned above. The rest of these three aren't regular attendees in Brawl singles, with Bowyer only just starting again, and Bowyer and Rofa typically only playing doubles.

Can honestly say i did this with out bias. Or else u'd see my name on there....
dur hurr

tl;dr MI doesn't have enough tournaments nor have enough regular players to build a valid power rankings.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I say two a month because not everyone can go to every tournament, and for better accuracy you need more data. Plus decay and increase of skill, I think anything over three months basically becomes void for ranking purposes. So with monthly you just have three tournaments to rank with.

ZTD | TECHnology

Well then someone needs to cover Ann Arbor which was basically the epicenter of Michigan Smash prior to 2010 anyway. I will work on Metro Detroit and you or someone else from MSU should work on getting an East Lansing monthly going on or something of that sort. Those are the main areas that matter for Brawl in this state. Plus it could give people further out by L a better shot of staying/making the PR since there would be a least one tournament close-ish to them.

Notra

Smash Ace
im not on the list....

dur hurr...

and were there to be one right now. this is not too far off.

and once again. this is to increase tourney appearance, regulars, and a real PR. seeing how it is already hyping ppl you can go play ddr or something, you could use the exercise....I think your the number one person i know to complain about stuff and not do it themselves. w.e internet egos as usual.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I'm gonna try to get some tourneys in Toledo going this year. It's a 40 min-hour drive for alot of you guys.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
and once again. this is to increase tourney appearance, regulars, and a real PR. seeing how it is already hyping ppl you can go play ddr or something, you could use the exercise....I think your the number one person i know to complain about stuff and not do it themselves. w.e internet egos as usual.
Try not to mix up your trolling with attempting to make legitimate arguments. And yeah, I don't do **** at all, but I know how much work it takes to run a tournament. I don't blame you guys for running one and then never again, haha.

Tutu wanted me to write why I thought this was inaccurate, so I did. As I said, it's MI so it doesn't matter anyway. It just has to be a list of people that others will go "oh yeah, that guy *****" and ****'s fine.

Notra

Smash Ace
Try not to mix up your trolling with attempting to make legitimate arguments. And yeah, I don't do **** at all, but I know how much work it takes to run a tournament. I don't blame you guys for running one and then never again, haha.

Tutu wanted me to write why I thought this was inaccurate, so I did. As I said, it's MI so it doesn't matter anyway. It just has to be a list of people that others will go "oh yeah, that guy *****" and ****'s fine.
I've ran two tournaments. and i didnt do another because i began to dislike brawl, and track season started. U know? Real workouts. Like SK92 did. I actually talked to the store manager after i saw Scott Pilgrim, he wondered why we didnt do another already. And this is a PR not a tournament to organize, and if ur not hosting tournaments then u may as well not know how to....

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I indeed have no idea how to host a tournament. You should teach me how to. You know, so that at least one of us ends up actually doing so.

Notra

Smash Ace
I indeed have no idea how to host a tournament. You should teach me how to. You know, so that at least one of us ends up actually doing so.
well u were just bragging about it. theres no TO PR rankings, or internet ego rankings.....PLZ find another place to occupy ur time. This is to hype ppl up. Not down people "Lower Levels Of Intelligence" or however you see yourself in comparsion.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I have no idea what the hell that's supposed to mean, lol. All I said is I know how much work it takes to run a tournament. Yo, I'll make it fun for ya.

Do you understand the words that are coming outta my mouth?!

You haven't given a single straight answer yet, but since you
1. don't like the list being inaccurate
2. don't like the fact that the list is inaccurate doesn't matter right now
3. won't teach me how to TO

I'm gonna guess our problems will never be solved. And that's a sad, sad thing, because solving problems is a good thing. And, you know, the opposite of good is... well, bad, not sad. Okay, I didn't think this one through so well.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sure, give me some pointers via PM and emphasize the part about finding a venue, 'cause that's the one I have the most trouble with.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
If you really want to know...

This is quite honestly the only part that matters. lain's the only consistent tournament attendee and he tends to beat everyone else in Michigan in both head-to-head and placements.

Judge has been about as active as Anther lately. Looking at recent tournament results... well, he doesn't really have any.

lol. I guess he beats people when he does end up going to a tournament.

So toward the beginning of the summer, L and Coco would beat Boxxy and Flame, and Azure had just started entering tournaments again and placing top 8. Now, L's got ride problems a lot of the time, Coco's placements have gone down, Boxxy's lost to Tutu, and Azure made top 3 last weekend. I'd say there was some sort of transition here except that we've barely had a 1-to-1 tournament/month ratio to find any sort of correlation over time.

Coco is mentioned above. The rest of these three aren't regular attendees in Brawl singles, with Bowyer only just starting again, and Bowyer and Rofa typically only playing doubles.

dur hurr

tl;dr MI doesn't have enough tournaments nor have enough regular players to build a valid power rankings.
Wait I'm not an active tourny goer? But flame/azure are, even though since the summer began I've been more tourneys than they have combined? (4 instate, 1 out of state and 2 nationals) for the record. I agree that I shouldn't be on the PR, but that reasoning I can't let slide.

Besides that, I'm fine with your logic, but I still say that this is useful. Maybe make it smaller though? Top 7+ HMs?

I get your point now WTP. I wasn't thinking before. More tourneys=more opportunities to go.

ZTD | TECHnology

Honestly I'd put you on the PR:

- You placed 4th last weekend beating several people that are PR worthy.

- You placed 7th in Chicago and beat their 4th and 6th ranked players in the process.

- You got 7th at my tournament.

- You're more active than 75% of Michigan.

- You've taken a game off L_Cancel in tournament.

- People acknowledge your sudden improvement.

- You did all of this as SHEIK lol

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't quite recall your tournament attendance over the past four months for some reason, lol. Forgive me on that, I'm usually better about that kind of thing.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
Yeah it's np, I was just like lolwut. It's not like I have memorable placings though.
9th at MBZ (I feel like this was in winter, now that I think of it)
9th at BoM2
4th at VoM (this is ignorable imo)
7th at Gameyard
9th at DB5
4th at WBST4

Last at MLG Columbus& Apex2010 (Technically not last, got 4th seed in my first pool so I got 3rd to last, but it's a last place performance to me)

I got 9th in Chicago, and who is their 4th and 6th PR? I only beat Akashi and JJrockets. Maybe you have me confused with DL? I don't think my character choice should matter more than my mediocre placings. Same with people suddenly thinking I'm good at this game.

@Marcus: VoM is down for another tourny? I'd be down for running one, solo if need be.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Placements should never be the sole deciding factor in things like power rankings, due to the inherent imperfection of double elimination brackets. Character selection should also not play a large role.

Being a top placer with a non-top tier is an achievement on its own, but as far as Power Rankings should be concerned, the achievement is being a top placer.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
From: http://www.smashboards.com/announcement.php?f=92&a=72

Power Ranking Regulatory Rules

1. Each power ranking thread must have a mission statement.
Mission statements simply state what the panel is attempting to do, and should list the criteria that will be looked at when deciding placement. Mission statements do not need to be unique from others.
You do not explain the criteria for deciding placement.

4. Threads may only be started by well-respected tournament operators within a region.
It is up to these individuals to appoint the rest of a council, as well as decide if they wish to participate in the panel or not. If they do not, they will act as a regional "sponsor", and will be responsible for thread updates and have some say in administrative choices, such as dropping/adding panelists and keeping general control.
You require this to be started by a well-respected tournament operator from MI.

5. A panel must consist of at least 3 members.
That would be the bare minimum. Depending on the overall population or competitiveness of a region, 3 may also be too small, and a larger panel will be pushed for. For example, having 3 people to decide the rankings for Maryland would be much too small, given the large population and density. Also, panels made up entirely of members of one crew will not be accepted. Finally, all panelists must be listed somewhere in the first post.
You require 3 Members.

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah it's np, I was just like lolwut. It's not like I have memorable placings though.
9th at MBZ (I feel like this was in winter, now that I think of it)
9th at BoM2
4th at VoM (this is ignorable imo)
7th at Gameyard
9th at DB5
4th at WBST4

Last at MLG Columbus& Apex2010 (Technically not last, got 4th seed in my first pool so I got 3rd to last, but it's a last place performance to me)

I got 9th in Chicago, and who is their 4th and 6th PR? I only beat Akashi and JJrockets. Maybe you have me confused with DL? I don't think my character choice should matter more than my mediocre placings. Same with people suddenly thinking I'm good at this game.

@Marcus: VoM is down for another tourny? I'd be down for running one, solo if need be.
I wasn't serious about you getting the placements with Sheik being criteria but it is impressive. Oh and yeah I guess I did get you confused with DL. I think your HM material at the very least.

lol at VoM though...

@SCOTU: Man you always just crash peoples' threads. Its pretty funny. I do agree though with you but this was supposed to get peoples' attention (thats the impression I get) and it did so bravo Notra.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
VoM was fun, one of the few tournaments I've ever made money at.

ZTD | TECHnology

SCOTU to be perfectly honestly I don't think this really impacts anything. If people actually want a PR people will do something about it. If they dont then we'll continue to be lazy and have limited tournaments. Its that simple. Thing is this is something we need several peoples' cooperation to make happen.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Imo, if we want a PR, we need:

1) A board that is active in the community and goes to tournaments regularly, that thinks logically without bias, and is agreed upon by much of the MI tourney-goers.

2) A mission statement

3) Regular tournaments (Michigan has been doing better in the later half of the summer. Let's keep it up.)

4) What criteria we're going to use to determine the PR - We'll use tourney placings obviously, but do we want to use doubles placings, moneymatches, OoS tourneys? And in what order of priority do we want to place each of these?

5) What determines inactivity - Is attending 2 tourneys in a "season" enough for someone to be considered active?

6) Some states have people who want to be considered for a PR submit their tourney results, just to make it easier. Not necessary, but it could save some time.

7) A theme (optional lol)

I'd like to help in whatever way I can with this.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I am glad to see Notra stepping it up to get people thinking about a MI PR at least.

I'd be happy to help too.

ZTD | TECHnology

I want to be a part of this as well. I think I can justify it also. Really I just want Michigan to have a **** scene like it used to. We have SO many good players here we need to bring them all together. We are still a force to be reckoned with in this region, no joke.

@Louis: An epic theme should be required! Okay not really but epic themes are always cool.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I want to be a part of this as well. I think I can justify it also. Really I just want Michigan to have a **** scene like it used to. We have SO many good players here we need to bring them all together. We are still a force to be reckoned with in this region, no joke.

@Louis: An epic theme should be required! Okay not really but epic themes are always cool.
I remember one state even had mod hax, so that music was playing on the first page.

Top Bottom