• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Michigan Melee Social Thread and Power Rankings

Dre the Ace

Smash Ace
So Oro actually beat me...but since he forfeit it counted as a win for me. That really shouldn't count (if anything, should be a loss for me)

I also beat Kzhu twice. Once at Beach House, then once in pools at Apasher's 2nd tournament.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I beat Dre and CTL at masonfest, but if that tourney doesn't count, I'll just have to do it again at Beach House! Oh tremor, btw, I am 100% sure I'll be there, made a lot of hours at work this week so I have the money. I can most likely bring at least 1 setup also! looking forward to some awesome smash this weekend.

CTL17

Smash Lord
A win against Dre is probably something worth mentioning. A win against me is probably not relevant unless Rob does some extensive searching for the <7 times I entered singles.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Hochi, i still want that mm challenge you avoided at big house. The deal was, $5, and I win if I take 1 stock. You are the one that made this challenge. Also, no wobbling, as it was banned during that particular tournament.

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
there are definitely active GR smashers. root and mckillington are the ones i know for sure are from GR but the rest i confuse with muskegon lol. join the west mi melee facebook group.

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
yeah i wanna go to that. what other tourneys are in the circuit besides those two? if you're trying to get more tourneys in west mi kzoo should do another one this winter.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
yeah i wanna go to that. what other tourneys are in the circuit besides those two? if you're trying to get more tourneys in west mi kzoo should do another one this winter.
I thought Jawsome would have asked you guys about that last weekend when he was hanging with you guys. It seemed like a thing he was going to ask about. I know he basically confirmed K-Zoo is heading over to Slayerfest Nov. 9th, right?

But yeah, we have a working schedule, but we have January 4th and February 15th as open dates.

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman
Wow there's some big time noobz in this thread. It's obvious I was holding the scene together, as soon as I left it went to ****.

kd-

Smash Lord
I know I said this about the last 3 tournies, but I think I'm gonna try and go to Slayerfest. Can't send the man off from a distance

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I'm kind of interested in having/hosting a tournament in May. It would be hosted in Midland (que groaning and people saying it is too far away). Here is the deal. May 5th 2014 will be my 10 year SWF anniversary. (I want to do this to commemorate my smash "career". Here is the stipulation, if you would call it that. I don't just want a regular tournament. I'd like to celebrate the game and its players, especially the ones from the old days, by having a tournament that exactly follows the 2007 back room ruleset. These were the rules I was used to playing waayy back in the stone age. I am kind of curious to figure out what this states community would think of it. Seeing as may is still 6 months away, Obviously it probably wouldn't count for future PR results or anything like that, but when I think back to the old days, I realize that despite counterpick levels like poke floats, rainbow cruise, mute city, etc etc, the best players usually won the tournament. Not only that, but it made way more characters viable.

I have a great venue in mind (LOW venue fee) and I could TO this event with the help one 2 other people, depending on the turnout. I would love to hear some input on this. That being said, I need to find the full ruleset from back then. Do people remember all the CP stages? This could be really fun, especially for the players who have been playing since that era, and it could be a fun experience for the new players to get a taste of how the game was played 7 years ago.

Discuss?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I think people would generally be very open to a throwback tourney with the old stagelist. I can't personally promise my attendance/help this far in advance, but if I missed the tourney it definitely wouldn't be because of the stagelist or anything. The Kishes proved as recently as last year that you can implement a throwback stagelist these days and still get a great turnout.

kd-

Smash Lord
Obligatory "Whoever thinks bad stages should be added should be forced to play bad matchups on them for hours straight" quote Duck circa ~2010ish

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I don't really care about bad matchups that much. I sort of miss the days where people had 1 main character, and played through all of their bad matchups on all like, 12+ stages we used to use. This doesn't mean that I disagree with the current MBR ruleset, I just think it could be a good time and a fun experience. Obviously the old ruleset had no character lock rule, so you would still be free to change characters after each game still. Advanced Slob Picks would stay in effect. I'm not sure how I'd want to do the first game of a match, but if I remember correctly it was literally just a random pick from the neutral stages with double blind character picks.

kd-

Smash Lord
I don't really care about bad matchups that much. I sort of miss the days where people had 1 main character, and played through all of their bad matchups on all like, 12+ stages we used to use.
>_< lol

Advanced Slob Picks would stay in effect.
What is an Advanced Slob Pick?

I'm not sure how I'd want to do the first game of a match, but if I remember correctly it was literally just a random pick from the neutral stages with double blind character picks.
I recall this, though I've never played with that format

Chad you should be grimy and take me to PoundV.5

@Shibby I'd counterpick Pokéfloats every time.
+2 CTL: tries to grime a trip to Pound V.5, threatens to counterpick Pokéfloats at all times

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Sounds good to me. I love floats, CTL!

ASP is the system we still use. Loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character. In that order.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I'd probably go if there was a PM side event. I'd enter Melee too, of course, because I like supporting that scene, even though I can't play the game. Tap jump too stronk. Bad players like me can't do the stuff.

tm

Smash Ace
I'm with Rob. Could be really cool, can't say I'd be able to make it though

KingHardy

Smash Rookie
Is this group still active at all? I'm from Roseville/Warren area and i'd like to play with some people, but it's hard finding out if anyone is active or not.

kd-

Smash Lord
I tried for the longest time to keep this alive. No idea why y'all like facebook either, can't keep track of threads or directly link them to someone -_-;

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I also would like Smashboards activity to return... this site just doesn't fit the needs of most communities though. It's unfortunate.

kd-

Smash Lord
if MI smashboards dies before I leave
I'll load an extended clip in my Fox's neutral b
Roll to every thread, murder the OP
Roll to every thread and body the OP

Top Bottom