• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Michigan Melee Social Thread and Power Rankings

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I'll be there by noon Friday. And watch out Josh, I fixed my new controller and it's ready to take in some cash money.
Talking to KK yesterday for 30 mins and his glorious posts on the boards should suffice for me :awesome:. and sounds good Shady just confirmed he's in. I'll give him a wake up call again tm too lol.
im not sure. im probably gonna talk to some of the smashers on the east side and see if i can get any of them interested. also if any of the smashers in west bloomfield were to go theres a possibility that i could catch a ride with them.
Do what you can man. Right now we are at a surplus of TV's to smashers and I need some more GGs

kd-

Smash Lord
Welcome back from FC, all of you made it out of first round pools and then Duck made it to 13th, correct? Not bad!

Next up for Michigan melee: SPAU2 on the 25th and then the day after - The Return of Moose

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Duck got 13th, HIV got 33rd, I got 41st (I think), Abu got 57th

FC was an amazingly well-organized, ridiculously fun tourney. Probably my favorite one ever.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'm definitely changing up the format I had in mind for Big House 2, because what FC did was so hype that I can't see myself going back to a traditional pools-to-bracket format anymore. I wrote down some possibilities on paper this morning and this is the best I've come up with:

16 pools of 7-9 players each (depending on turnout) to start things off, top four advance to a 64-man double-elimination bracket, then play it out until Winners Semis and until Losers 6th Rd. With twelve players remaining at that point, separate and play out 2 final round robins of 6 players each, then take the same-placing players from each final round robin and have them play out a 1st place match, 3rd place match, 5th place match, etc. until the 11th place match, in backwards order for maximum ending hype.

Thoughts?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I still don't like challonge.com for live bracket coverage, we'd just stick with tio for that.

It looks decent for post-tourney viewing though.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
fyi alot of people watching the stream (including lovage and s2j) didnt like the non traditional bracket to final pools format. But you were there so if you say its hype id believe it, since the most important thing is the experience of the people thats actually going to be at the tournament

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
@ roki: Are you talking about live updates for stream viewers at home? tio doesn't have that option, and I never planned on doing it anyway... like HarmS said, the priority should be about making the in-person tourney experience the best one possible.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
well I mean if its not something that violates anything TO related, haha

there's usually always someone behind the desk so creating one on the side and having anyone pretty much with visual access to the tio file to update it wouldn't be that big of a hassle

I recognize it as a part of having a livestream almost and it allows whoever commentates commentates to never really have that moment of: uhhhh, dunno who's in it still, and instead be like: you guys can check out the bracket info with the link in the description of the livestream

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
That sounds awesome and since every single person is saying it was really hype, it clearly was.

As Hotarms said though, virtually every person on the steam did not like the format. As long as that isn't a deciding factor for anyone, changing it seems like a pretty good idea. s2j isn't coming anyway. Peepee said he might be able too.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I recognize it as a part of having a livestream almost and it allows whoever commentates commentates to never really have that moment of: uhhhh, dunno who's in it still, and instead be like: you guys can check out the bracket info with the link in the description of the livestream
You know what, this is a really good point, I kinda forgot about this. I think we will use challonge.com after all. We might skip tio for the main singles event since it's arguably easier to do it manually than to spend 92318 hours trying to re-arrange pools in tio.

kd-

Smash Lord
I'm definitely changing up the format I had in mind for Big House 2, because what FC did was so hype that I can't see myself going back to a traditional pools-to-bracket format anymore. I wrote down some possibilities on paper this morning and this is the best I've come up with:

16 pools of 7-9 players each (depending on turnout) to start things off, top four advance to a 64-man double-elimination bracket, then play it out until Winners Semis and until Losers 6th Rd. With twelve players remaining at that point, separate and play out 2 final round robins of 6 players each, then take the same-placing players from each final round robin and have them play out a 1st place match, 3rd place match, 5th place match, etc. until the 11th place match, in backwards order for maximum ending hype.

Thoughts?
I like it. Are you gonna incorporate Swiss Style somewhere in there?

dang. i got burned.
What?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I think there is literally nobody in Ann Arbor right now.

The 10% of people who actually stayed for the summer have probably been kicked out by their landlords for the second half of August.

kd-

Smash Lord
Basically, I've been driving to WB to chill with Richard and James some days for the past week or two.

I'm going to be joining that 10% next week, stupid leases ending a week before new ones. Too bad, because I kinda wanted to improve my Marth more at SPAU2

Top Bottom