• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mew2King defeated by a Mew player, thoughts?

The era of multi game gods has died. Competitive gaming is too well established. Competitors are too good these days

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
My initial thought is: Wow, that's absolutely wonderful.

I think it's pretty funny that you posted this in the Melee forum, though, haha.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I love the irony. Overall the match doesn't matter much.

Last edited:

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
I-I-I-Irony.

However, Mew2King had been a Melee player for a long time. Though he does very well in Smash 4, there are some people who are much more devoted to Smash 4 on its own, rather than the whole franchise, as M2K is. While M2K is one of my favorite smashers, however, I'm glad that a Mewtwo player so profoundly beat him - it helps show that Mewtwo is not nearly as bad as people think he is.

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
Incredibly ironic

Hopefully this upset will inspire others to experiment with mewtwo again, I don't forsee a giant wave of lasting support like meta knight got post Leo just due to the nature of the character being incredibly unique and different but hopefully this starts shining a light again on our metagame for people to look into.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
People have to remember that Mew2kings greatest weakness in Sm4sh right is MU inexperience. He had no clue how to fight a rather odd MU in Mewtwo/Cloud (Stage-control is key), and was struggling in the DK/Mewtwo MU.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Yea not trying to discredit our fellow Mewtwo brother at all but M2K seemed pretty clueless in the MU still props to Mew^2 for doing so well.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
No one is asking him how he unlocked Mew?

Jokes, good stuff. If a matchup gives you that much trouble, it's good to invest time into it, no matter how low tier they are.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
No one is asking him how he unlocked Mew?

Jokes, good stuff. If a matchup gives you that much trouble, it's good to invest time into it, no matter how low tier they are.

How would he even know it gives him trouble?

We have to remember M2K actually treats this as a job more so than a hobby. As someone who actually earns money from the game, any moment he spends learning something is a moment that he could have spent learning something much more relevant. Would you rather invest 100 bucks on a Sheik counter or 50 on a Zelda counter?

Mew^2 did incredibly good. The DK matchup is very hard and he still managed to put some work in.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
How would he even know it gives him trouble?

We have to remember M2K actually treats this as a job more so than a hobby. As someone who actually earns money from the game, any moment he spends learning something is a moment that he could have spent learning something much more relevant. Would you rather invest 100 bucks on a Sheik counter or 50 on a Zelda counter?

Mew^2 did incredibly good. The DK matchup is very hard and he still managed to put some work in.
I'm not saying invest hours upon hours into every matchup, just maybe like an hour or something to cover some basics with a main of that matchup

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm not saying invest hours upon hours into every matchup, just maybe like an hour or something to cover some basics with a main of that matchup
Most people like M2K wrote Mewtwo off as a bottom tier character and never looked back. This is evidenced by the official Back Room tier list, which put Mewtwo only one tier above Bottom due to the buffs.

It takes things like Mew² obliterating M2K for people to admit they were wrong. And even then, many are content to make excuses instead of admitting Mewtwo is a good character: "M2K depends too much on match-up practice," "M2K is autistic," "Mewtwo relies on gimmicks," etc.

Honestly, I'm okay with people criminally underrating Mewtwo. It just makes it easier for us to wipe them out.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Most people like M2K wrote Mewtwo off as a bottom tier character and never looked back. This is evidenced by the official Back Room tier list, which put Mewtwo only one tier above Bottom due to the buffs.

It takes things like Mew² obliterating M2K for people to admit they were wrong. And even then, many are content to make excuses instead of admitting Mewtwo is a good character: "M2K depends too much on match-up practice," "M2K is autistic," "Mewtwo relies on gimmicks," etc.

Honestly, I'm okay with people criminally underrating Mewtwo. It just makes it easier for us to wipe them out.
Who said the autistic comment? That's just wrong. There are lots of high functioning autistic people. I would know, I work in that industry.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Mewtwo is literally one of the few chars with no actual gimmicks or brain dead kill setups/combos in this game. Whomever says Mewtwo relies on gimmicks has no idea what they are talking about. Specially if they play ANY top tier but Sheik (the only non-gimmicky/brain dead top tier. But she's so overtuned it doesn't really matter at that point, lol).

Also remember that this game is much better balanced. Bad characters can still definitely compete in this game at a high level. I am not saying Mewtwo is bad, just that I've personally seen Robins beat some of the PR players here in SoCal and I personally know a Charizard player who 10-2 DKWill in a first to 10 (it was online, but that's because my friend can't really travel. I am sure he could show people what Charizard is capable of if he could travel).

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Mewtwo is literally one of the few chars with no actual gimmicks or brain dead kill setups/combos in this game. Whomever says Mewtwo relies on gimmicks has no idea what they are talking about. Specially if they play ANY top tier but Sheik (the only non-gimmicky/brain dead top tier. But she's so overtuned it doesn't really matter at that point, lol).
This. In my mind, Mewtwo is actually an incredibly strong honest character.

The problem is that his one weakness is cheese...in a game with a LOT of cheese.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Who said the autistic comment? That's just wrong. There are lots of high functioning autistic people. I would know, I work in that industry.
People on Reddit, Twitch, and other areas of low accountability.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not agreeing with or justifying people's excuses, I'm exposing them and condemning them.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
They just got uploaded today! Pretty amazing stuff.

This post will be edited with more videos.

Last edited:

Endurrr

Smash Cadet
I don't think it means anything. Theres a few things about m2k. Pulling out obscure characters really hinders him historically, or so I've heard. And his play really REALLY fluctuates. Sometimes he's in a good mindset and other times he just isnt. But whether he was playing on his game or not, huge props to mew^2. He played to cloud's weaknesses very well and m2k wasn't prepared that set. He definitely earned the win

godogod

Smash Ace
Damn. That grand finals match with dkwill was intense. Honeslty the best mewtwo gameplay I've ever seen. So many combos.

I wonder if that day made Mew2King rethink his opinion of Mewtwo and consider picking him up..

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Wow, Mew2king was playing like complete crap there. There is a problem when a mediocre scrub like me is calling out the airdodge punishes before they happen. He clearly had no idea how to play this matchup.

Super awesome play from Mew^2 as well. I only wish I could play that well some day.

godogod

Smash Ace
In regards to Mew2King, yeah he wasn't playing all that great that day, and he doesn't invest as much in ssb4 as he does with melee. But also, the guy's approaching his 30s. Reaction times needed for videogames peak in the early 20s and just go downhill from there.

I'd love to see Mew^2 vs Nairo's ZSS. That would be epic.

Top Bottom